Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are your TOP RTS/Strategy games of all TIME!

xpowderxxpowderx Member UncommonPosts: 2,078

Well, I am listing my top five strategy games RTS games I have ever played! Please feel free to place yours!

1. Starcraft,

Need I say more. the best RTS in my opinion ever created! For me there was nothing more fun than playing the ZERG! Zerging the enemy is quite fun! Some of the best online encounters have been with this game. The game play is seamless and perfect for a RTS. The addictive  quality  of this game has no bounds! I will always love this game!

2.Battlecry Warlords III

Talk about a fun game! So many race and class combination's! Each race has its own set of  features and units! I was entranced from the very first time I played this gem. Heroes that level up. Gain cool items. Distinctive racial features! Some of the most BRUTAL attacks by a A.I! Would almost think the computer cheats! Talk about hitting you when you are down ! Definitely a BLAST! Nice campaign with many non linear features!

3. Stronghold Crusader: Yes, my favorite medieval  RTS and Kingdom simulation! I would have chosen Stronghold Deluxe except the "PIG" in that game gets me mad every time I play it! But Stronghold Crusader has all the elements of a RTS simulation and Epic army battles! Want to relive the crusades against Saladin? Then this is the game for you! This game has made me spend a many hours, it will you as well!

4. Master of Orion II

This is my only game I am placing that is not a RTS. It is more a strategic game than RTS! But,  man! Talk about a game that totally rocks for a space empire building game! This game has some of the best qualities any future emperor, dictator, or President would want! Besides the original Master of Orion being the influence of any other space empire game out there. Master of Orion II adds many more features and more cool ships to design!  I highly recommend this game if you like building space empires and love strategic warfare!

5. Mechcommander II

Well five was a tough choice! It was between Mechcommander II and Warcraft II Tides of Darkness. But  I am a huge Battletech fan so Mechcommander II gets it! If you like building mech's and go rampaging across different worlds for complete galactic domination, then this game is for you! This game has two modes a strategic phase and a RTS phase. The Strategic phase lets you design battlemechs and prepare for whichever mission you choose. This has some of the best sneaky missions in any RTS. If you have never played it before you will be quite surprised with some of the missions! Later on the missions are not for the feint of heart! Mission in this game get real nasty at times. But man are they worth it! I recommend this to anyone who likes building and battling robots!

Please feel free to share yours! Those above are my favorites! Be cool to see which ones you like!

Comments

• 0guz0guz Member UncommonPosts: 287

Age of Empires II  The Conquerors

• ProfRedProfRed Member UncommonPosts: 3,494

Pox Nora, Age of Wonders, Final Fantasy Tactics, Disgaea, Romance of the Three Kingdoms (All of them).

None of them are RTS, but you did say /Strategy.  I'm not a huge RTS fan honestly.  I do like Dawn of War 2 and some more modern takes on it though.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

Total Annihilation

Command and Conquer

Civilization (perhaps doesn't fit into this category)

Total War series

Myth (precurser to the Total War series)

• Pappy13Pappy13 Member Posts: 2,138

1)  Warhammer 40,000 Dawn of war.

- Morale, Overwatch, Squads, Control Points, Sync Kills, Wargear, Multiple victory conditions.  Need I say more?

2)  Starcraft

3)  Warcraft I, II & III

4)  Total Annihilation

5)  Command and Conquer

• godseek3rgodseek3r Member Posts: 76

The settlers games are fun!

Playing - Champions Online
    Unsure Of - Darkfall, Star Trek Online
    Waiting For - Star Wars: The Old Republic, All Points Bulletin
    Played - Age Of Conan, Everquest II, Mabinogi, Tabula Rasa, Star Wars Galaxies, World Of Warcraft

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221

Age Of Mythology kept me busy for quite awhile.

• kejjkejj Member Posts: 37

Heroes and might and magic 3 :D

"It's not that I'm so smart; it's just that I stay with problems longer."
    -- Albert Einstein

• rscott6666rscott6666 Member Posts: 192

Total Annihilation

Sins of A Solar Empire

Supreme Commander

Earth 2150

Red Alert

C&C

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

RTS

1. Black and White

2. Command and Conquer: Red Alert

3. Sins of a Solar Empire

4. The Guild 2

5. EDIT; Dungeon Keeper 2

Strategy

1. Emperor of the Fading Suns

2. Civilization 4

3. Nobunaga's Ambition

4. Romance of the Three Kingdoms 8

5. Alpha Centauri

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• [RedDragon][RedDragon] Member UncommonPosts: 46

Warcraft 2,Starcraft,Age of Empires 1.

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

I'm the only one who has liked the Total War games eh? Thought there would be more for them.

• BeermanglerBeermangler Member UncommonPosts: 402

Heroes 3 SoD.

Nuff said.

Better to be crazy, provided you know what sane is...

• coffeecoffee Member Posts: 2,007

No one mentioned Company of Heroes yet? I suggest you go get it now on the steam sale..... NOW!!!

My top 5 RTS Games of all time.

1 .Starcraft ( over 200,000 players still online on the EU server after 12 years.. crazy )

2. Warcraft 3 ( one of the first to add RPG elements - great story )

3. Company of heroes ( looks great and plays so so good )

4. Homeworld 1 & 2 ( rts in space and it works )

5. DoW 1 ( first to really use control pts and cover )

Games that should of been good but failed.

1. DoW 2 ( repetitive crap - relic got lazy - looking for the fast $ )

2. Company of heroes ( 2nd expansion )

3. Battle forge ( almost an mmorts but not quite )

4. C&C games after C&C:Generals ( the last good c&c game, oddly around the time EA took over )

5. Supreme commander ( sorry I don't have a Nasa super computer )

Older lesser known RTS's games worthy of note.. in no specific order.

1. Z ( still praying for a DS conversion )

2. Metal fatigue ( its got customizable mechs for god sake )

3. Armies of Exigo ( a WC3 ripoff but worth a play through )

RTS games I am looing forward too.. in order

1. Starcarft 2 ( what else do you expect )

2. R.U.S.E ( something different )

3. HoN - Heroes of New Earth ( can it be classed as RTS? )

4. Homeworld 3 ( its just rumor at the moment )

• Cpt_PicardCpt_Picard Member Posts: 300
    Originally posted by 0guz

Age of Empires II  The Conquerors

This, hands down

Make it so...

• MMO_FanMMO_Fan Member UncommonPosts: 178
    Originally posted by arenasb

Myth (precurser to the Total War series)

Myth: The Fallen Lords and Myth 2: Soulblighter are unique games. They don't really fit in the "RTS genre" but most people think they are at first glance. Total War and more specifically Company of Heroes are the closest I have found to Myth gameplay. I think the WW2 mod for M2 was the driving factor for CoH.

Most people who bought Myth never made it online to Bungie.net to play it in multiplayer mode, which was a real shame. Multiplayer Myth was nothing like the solo levels and I thought it was where the game really shined with a variety of maps designed for balanced PvP gameplay. I always thought of the solo levels as a wonderful tutorial to learn the controls for online play.

You can still get a Myth game over at http://www.mariusnet.com/ which is running a modified version of the old Bungienet code.

After all these years - game updates, new mods and new maps ( both solo maps and multiplayer maps) are still being produced: http://www.projectmagma.net/

• Einherjar_LCEinherjar_LC Member UncommonPosts: 1,055

RTS:

Age of Empires series except Age of Mythology...couldn't get into that one.

RTS Honorable mention:

Command and Conquer series

Strategy:

Civ series.

Strategy Honorable mention:

Galactic Civilzations 2

Einherjar_LC says: WTB the true successor to UO or Asheron's Call pst!

• MMO_FanMMO_Fan Member UncommonPosts: 178
    Originally posted by arenasb

Civilization (perhaps doesn't fit into this category)

I like Civilization. But always thought of it as a combo of Strategic Conquest and Hammurabi with a fixed 3D view and much better AI.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strategic_Conquest

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamurabi

• SyncrosonixSyncrosonix Member Posts: 341

civilization

command & conquer: red alert

• DiSpLiFFDiSpLiFF Member UncommonPosts: 602

Warcraft 3 hands down best RTS, I still play this game from time to time after like 10 years of playing? I love the mini games like tower defense and DOTA. All my korean friends love starcraft though, I could never get into that game though go figure. I always liked the command and conquer series also. 

• junzo316junzo316 Member UncommonPosts: 1,712

I like city-building type strategy games....so, I would have to say that Simcity 4 is my favorite strategy game.

• coffeecoffee Member Posts: 2,007

I still cannot get over how many people still play Starcraft, Diablo and Warcraft on battle net... just took a screen shot.

175,000 people logged into battle net 1.0, 44,000 players logged into Starcraft ...

When you see numbers like this its easier to understand the delays for Starcraft 2 and Battle net 2.0. it has to be 100% rock solid on release, anything less and it will be a PR knightmare.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

Only RTS game I ever really liked was Command and Conquer (the original). I played the Warcraft RTS', but, meh.

Now turn based strategy, that was my bag baby.

In no particular order:

Nobunaga's Amibition (NES, SNES)

Lord of Darkness: Nobunaga's Ambition (SNES)

Shingen the Ruler (NES)

Defender of the Crown (NES)

Romance of the Three Kingdoms [various ones in the line] (NES, SNES, PC)

Conflict/Super Conflict (NES/SNES)

Operation Europe: Path to Victory (SNES)

Pacific Theatre of Operation I & II (SNES)

Ghengis Khan II: Clan of Grey Wolf (SNES)

Heroes of Might and Magic I - IV (PC)

Age of Wonders I & II (PC)

Master of Orion I & II (PC)

Bandit Kings of Ancient China (NES)

Close Combat (PC)

L'Empereur (NES)

That's just a few. I've enjoyed too many more to list. Turn-based Strategy is hands down my favorite genre of computer/console gaming.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914

I really like alot of the games that people have listed here and have played all or dam near most of them extensivley and gotta say that by far Sins of a Solar Empire is the best RTS ever made to date.

http://www.sinsofasolarempire.com/

• WhackANewbieWhackANewbie Member Posts: 225

Dune II. It is really what started it all and I played the hell out of it, big time, when I was young (think I was like 12 or something). Dune II all the way.

• SuprGamerXSuprGamerX Member Posts: 531

Star craft

Heroes of might and magic 3

Metal Fatigue

Age of empire 2

Total Annihalation/red alert 95/Settlers Series/Wacraft series

Just love the nurple maps on RA95,nice maps to train your reflexes vs 7 AI :P

All the RTS/strategy of the 90's should be on the top 5,they were THAT GREAT and most of them still are even today.