Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

World of warcraft - game of the decade.

Comments

• BloodDualityBloodDuality Member UncommonPosts: 404
    Originally posted by Phry
    well, not joining in can be a bit limiting... im not talking so much about WoW now though, tbh, from what i've seen of that game, you can pretty much solo your way through it..  in Eve however, 'joining in' is a necessity. admittedly, you can solo some things, in Eve, you dont have to join a corporation to mine or run missions.. but to get into the real meat of the game, you have to be willing to work with others, and that for me is where most of the fun in an MMO is, if it was me i would have voted Eve Online as game of the decade, there arent really any other games out there that work the same way as Eve,  sadly however, its a niche game, its sci fi, in a genre largely dominated by fantasy games, and you can't see your own feet  and that seems to put people off.  which is a shame really.

I enjoyed eve, but ultimatly ended up leaving it for various reasons. The things that killed me for eve was that the big battles just were not much fun. Anything more than small battles caused issues to the point where I could warp into a battle not see anything, not be able to move for several minutes, and then just watch as my ships slowly died. Only able to take solice in knowing that it took 3 carriers, 2 dreadnauts, and a few Battle ships to kill me. If I had better performance when I played I might have enjoyed it more, but I still think I also would have wanted to see my character.

I would really like a game that is as deep as eve, though with more of a ground experience rather than have it all in space. I could go into more of the things I didn't like about the game, but that would be getting off topic a bit.

• grandpagamergrandpagamer Member Posts: 2,221
    Originally posted by Ilvaldyr

Originally posted by grandpagamer

well, you say that.. but all the hatred seems to be a bit one sided, with people hating Blizzard and people who play WoW, the problem is of course, is that unless you actually log into WoW and go tell them directly, they'll probably never know
    maybe its time to take a step back and figure out why your angry, rather than just be it. do you feel left out ?

Go back a few posts and see what ive said about my feelings for wow and those who play as opposed to those that feel the need to repeatedly promote the game even to those that know better first hand.  No, feeling left out would imply a desire to join in, which I do not.

Hmm, doesn't specifically imply a desire to join in playing WoW though.

I'm sure there are a fair number of people who aren't currently happy in the MMO that they are playing, (if they're playing an MMO at all) and harbour ill-feeling towards WoW players on the basis that we have a quality product available that suits our preferences.

Ok, i will clarify, I have no desire to play world of warcraft for no other reason than that I do not enjoy the game . I know its hard to believe but some of us have played wow and left for no other reason than we did not enjoy the game any longer and some didnt enjoy it at at all.  If you enjoy the game great, but really, there is no underlying reason that I choose not to play other than the fact that to me, the game just isnt that good. I have stated many reasons I feel the game isnt for me and have been told im stupid or any other number things for not liking the game. LOTRO is the MMO I play for the most part and sometimes I play EQ2, both games are superior to WOW in my estimation and both are quality games. If you say that isnt so am I do deem you stupid or jealous for not seeing the same way I see? Am I to say you are bitter that WOW isnt as high quality as my games? I have no desire to convert anyone to LOTRO or EQ2 and what is strange to me is the need for some to try and convert the world to their way of thinking in regards to WOW.

Originally posted by Zorndorf

Ok, i will clarify, I have no desire to play world of warcraft for no other reason than that I do not enjoy the game . I know its hard to believe but some of us have played wow and left for no other reason than we did not enjoy the game any longer and some didnt enjoy it at at all.  If you enjoy the game great, but really, there is no underlying reason that I choose not to play other than the fact that to me, the game just isnt that good. I have stated many reasons I feel the game isnt for me and have been told im stupid or any other number things for not liking the game. LOTRO is the MMO I play for the most part and sometimes I play EQ2, both games are superior to WOW in my estimation and both are quality games. If you say that isnt so am I do deem you stupid or jealous for not seeing the same way I see? Am I to say you are bitter that WOW isnt as high quality as my games? I have no desire to convert anyone to LOTRO or EQ2 and what is strange to me is the need for some to try and convert the world to their way of thinking in regards to WOW.

40 pages of reactions and finally it boils all down to the above.

WOW is not EQ2 and Lotro ... The games I PLAY NOW. That's the underlying nature of the "I don't like that WOW got an award ".

Even IF you would hate WOW with a passion and love the two other games even more passionate...

You simply can't deny the 1.2 billion dollar yearly revenu fact of WOW.

Why resist it? Afraid the games you play will die faster?

It's reasoning from the belly.

Everyone who reasons from the logic, simply knows that the game which simply made far more money than any other single game has had much more influence on the economics of this world.

Including the staff writers pay checks on this very site.

You should all get on your knees for the resources Blizzard brought in.

No matter what games you play.

That is the crux of it Zorn. I do not love, LOTRO or EQ2 and I do not hate world of warcraft. In my stupid jealousy I just cannot find room in my heart to love pixels on a screen. I play what I enjoy and WOW is not what I enjoy. I know, I know I just dont know whats good but I do know whats good for me and investing such emotion in a video game is not mentally good for me or anyone else.

• pencilrickpencilrick Member Posts: 1,550

WOW is rightly "Game of the Decade" and perhaps "RPG of the decade."  

WOW is NOT "MMO of the Decade"; that status goes to EQ1, shortlived as its glory years were.

Originally posted by pencilrick

WOW is NOT "MMO of the Decade"; that status goes to EQ1, shortlived as its glory years were.

I respectfully disagree. WOW most likely is MMO of the decade but game of the decade it is not.

• AKASlaphappyAKASlaphappy Member UncommonPosts: 800
    Originally posted by Palebane

Originally posted by AKASlaphappy

Well first off I want to say I am not bashing you or anyone else with my posts, I just do not understand why you guys view things they way you do. First off let me just say before I would buy anyone's opinion that WOW is the greatest influence in gaming for all game developers. I would have to see some facts, if anyone can provide them then I will agree that across all gaming WOW has had the most influence.

Have you been living in a cave for the last 5 years? Why should we have to prove something that anyone that is not completely ignorant and blind could figure out for themselves in 5 miniutes? It seems to me you are just arguing for the sake of arguing. Not sure what your beef is with WoW, but it's clouding your judgement in my opinion.

Well I decided to take my own suggestion and check out the numbers, to see if everyone is right that RPGs and MMOs are the envy of the gaming industry with their revenue. After all the only reason why ever gaming company would take notice as has been suggested on here, is if they own most of the market share. With of course Blizzard leading the pack since it makes the most out of any of those games. Here is what I found (Although to be fair I do not know how accurate these numbers are), the gaming industry took in $57 Billion dollars in revenue. So if we take the money that Blizzard made off of WOW the 1.2 billion, that has been referenced so many time in this thread, that is a whopping 2.1% of the total revenue for the industry.

So you guys are all so right in your opinion that WOW has done more for the industry as a whole then any other game :). No wonder as you guys say all the other gaming companies no matter what they are making should take notice and pay attention to Blizzard. After all as a business owner myself I can see how I would be concerned with trying to get my share of that  2.1% and not worry about the other 97.9% that I could go after. After all there is no way I could make a FPS or RTS and possible make money unless I learn from what Blizzard did with WoW. There is no doubt in my mind I would increase spending so I can track my direct competitors of my game a FPS or RTS and at the same time learn all I can from WOW. Why in Gods name as a business would I go for the 97.9% of the revenue available, when I could go for the 2.1%.

So you are right Palebane, I was living in a cave of my own ignorance. After doing a little research I can see now why ever other gaming company would bow to the mass influence WOW has over the whole industry. There is no way I would make a game now in any genre and not spend thousands of dollars to learn from WOW!  Thanks for opening my eyes, I know see Blizzard and WOW as the Gods of industry that they are.

edited for screwed up numbers :)

• greed0104greed0104 Member Posts: 2,134

Somebody call Kanye West and let him know WoW won "game of the decade" he will show em.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

I respectfully disagree. WOW most likely is MMO of the decade but game of the decade it is not.

Have to agree here, Game of the decade would have to include none MMO's and thats a far broader 'category'  personally game of the decade for me .. hard to choose between Oblivion and Halflife 2 i guess... of course .. if you went strictly from the ELSPA charts of games etc, it gets a bit scary.. because then the game(s) of the decade would probably be the various Sims games...

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430

Well first off I want to say I am not bashing you or anyone else with my posts, I just do not understand why you guys view things they way you do. First off let me just say before I would buy anyone's opinion that WOW is the greatest influence in gaming for all game developers. I would have to see some facts, if anyone can provide them then I will agree that across all gaming WOW has had the most influence.

Have you been living in a cave for the last 5 years? Why should we have to prove something that anyone that is not completely ignorant and blind could figure out for themselves in 5 miniutes? It seems to me you are just arguing for the sake of arguing. Not sure what your beef is with WoW, but it's clouding your judgement in my opinion.

Well I decided to take my own suggestion and check out the numbers, to see if everyone is right that RPGs and MMOs are the envy of the gaming industry with their revenue. After all the only reason why ever gaming company would take notice as has been suggested on here, is if they own most of the market share. With of course Blizzard leading the pack since it makes the most out of any of those games. Here is what I found (Although to be fair I do not know how accurate these numbers are), the gaming industry took in $57 Billion dollars in revenue. So if we take the money that Blizzard made off of WOW the 1.2 billion, that has been referenced so many time in this thread, that is a whopping .021% of the total revenue for the industry.

So you guys are all so right in your opinion that WOW has done more for the industry as a whole then any other game :). No wonder as you guys say all the other gaming companies no matter what they are making should take notice and pay attention to Blizzard. After all as a business owner myself I can see how I would be concerned with trying to get my share of that .021% and not worry about the other 99.97% that I could go after. After all there is no way I could make a FPS or RTS and possible make money unless I learn from what Blizzard did with WoW. There is no doubt in my mind I would increase spending so I can track my direct competitors of my game a FPS or RTS and at the same time learn all I can from WOW. Why in Gods name as a business would I go for the 99.97% of the revenue available, when I could go for the .021%.

So you are right Palebane, I was living in a cave of my own ignorance. After doing a little research I can see now why ever other gaming company would bow to the mass influence WOW has over the whole industry. There is no way I would make a game now in any genre and not spend thousands of dollars to learn from WOW!  Thanks for opening my eyes, I know see Blizzard and WOW as the Gods of industry that they are.

uhm.. it's 2.1%, not .021%

• BloodDualityBloodDuality Member UncommonPosts: 404

Well I decided to take my own suggestion and check out the numbers, to see if everyone is right that RPGs and MMOs are the envy of the gaming industry with their revenue. After all the only reason why ever gaming company would take notice as has been suggested on here, is if they own most of the market share. With of course Blizzard leading the pack since it makes the most out of any of those games. Here is what I found (Although to be fair I do not know how accurate these numbers are), the gaming industry took in $57 Billion dollars in revenue. So if we take the money that Blizzard made off of WOW the 1.2 billion, that has been referenced so many time in this thread, that is a whopping .021% of the total revenue for the industry.

So you guys are all so right in your opinion that WOW has done more for the industry as a whole then any other game :). No wonder as you guys say all the other gaming companies no matter what they are making should take notice and pay attention to Blizzard. After all as a business owner myself I can see how I would be concerned with trying to get my share of that .021% and not worry about the other 99.97% that I could go after. After all there is no way I could make a FPS or RTS and possible make money unless I learn from what Blizzard did with WoW. There is no doubt in my mind I would increase spending so I can track my direct competitors of my game a FPS or RTS and at the same time learn all I can from WOW. Why in Gods name as a business would I go for the 99.97% of the revenue available, when I could go for the .021%.

Just using the numbers you provided you were just a little off. It would be 2.1% not 0.021%, really is a small mistake though so your point is still mostly valid.

edit... Guess people were faster than I was with responding.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

Hum hum.
    Let me correct this immediatly.
    We are talking GAMES here. NOT hardware.
    Since the title was GAME of the decade.
    Now the biggest gaming software group at the moment is ... Activison Blizzard...
    WOW accounts for around 35% of the COMPLETE revenu of the COMPLETE Activision Blizzard group as a whole. ALL cross platform games included....From DS to PsP, from PS2 / 3 WII, XBox. You can count them  ALL UP.
    So the title was ... GAME of the decade.
    Not INDUSTRY of the decade. ... and ONE little game that makes for 2.1% of the complete industry you say (hardware included) ... on a YEARLY base. ...
    WOW.
    Nice try. Fail attempt.

What are you talking about? You misread obviously. He was not talking anything about Industry of the decade. You funny.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

Originally posted by BloodDuality

Just using the numbers you provided you were just a little off. It would be 2.1% not 0.021%, really is a small mistake though so your point is still mostly valid.

edit... Guess people were faster than I was with responding.

how is it mostly valid?  in what way is the number of Wii console sales relevent exactly ?

You can disagree, but you can't deny the financial facts of Wow's revenus which blows every competition in single video games out of the water.

So my question still remains ... WHY do you oppose the title of "game of the decade" to WOW, since it is an economical fact WOW had such a HUGE economical influence in this gaming industry ... as a game.

I say: because you don't like it  (like you demonstrated above).

I say: that's no argument to deny the financial facts by being the "game of the decade" and influencing the entire industry and investement resources.

Its been explained time and again. But one more time. There are better, more inovative games out there. I have named a few that I thought were such. Others have named games they thought were better. Not everyone enjoys the same things. One site says its so, so that makes it so in your world? In my world its all opinion and ive posted PC Gamer readers opinion and it aint WOW.  You pick through everything that promotes your beliefs and ignore everything else. MMO of the decade isnt good enough for you, PC Gamers 14th greatest game of all time, isnt good enough for you. Finances again huh? Best grossing movie of all time, is that your favorite? Best selling author of all time, is he or she whoever it may be your favorite? Best selling vehicle, is that what you prefer to drive? See what youve done? Youve painted yourself into a corner that if you answer no to any of these questions your whole basis for WOW being best is shot down. One website says its game of the decade so it must be true. Show me the link again Zorn and then read my sig.

So WOW accounts as single platform game for 2.1 % of the COMPLETE games industry?
    And 35% of the biggest software gaming group Activision Blizzard ...
    What more proof do you want it was the biggest money maker as "GAME of the decade ? "...

This isn't about Activision/Blizzard, it's about one game WOW. 2.1% is significant, but nothing to the degree that you're going on about. You're embarrassing yourself and the game you adore so so much, so relax a wee bit.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb

Originally posted by Cecropia

So WOW accounts as single platform game for 2.1 % of the COMPLETE games industry?
    And 35% of the biggest software gaming group Activision Blizzard ...
    What more proof do you want it was the biggest money maker as "GAME of the decade ? "...

This isn't about Activision/Blizzard, it's about one game WOW. 2.1% is significant, but nothing to the degree that you're going on about. You're embarrassing yourself and the game you adore so so much, so relax a wee bit.

It wouldnt however, be unfair to say, that MMO's aspire to achieve the degree of success that Blizzard have with WoW..

It wouldnt however, be unfair to say, that MMO's aspire to achieve the degree of success that Blizzard have with WoW..

I can't argue with that kind of logic.

• AKASlaphappyAKASlaphappy Member UncommonPosts: 800

I can't argue with that kind of logic.

Thanks for correcting my mistake guys, it is 2.1%. So that still leaves 97.9% revenue for the industry that is not WOW. So I stand corrected again :). Now that 2.1% makes the mass influence that WOW suppose able has over the whole industry make since. Now I can really see why ever other game company no matter what they make would want to mimic WOW.

Although on a more serious note I do agree with you both, that any company that makes a MMO and does not try to learn from what WOW has accomplished stupid.

Oh and I fixed my original post. Thanks again guys!

Its been explained time and again. But one more time. There are better, more inovative games out there. I have named a few that I thought were such. Others have named games they thought were better. Not everyone enjoys the same things. One site says its so, so that makes it so in your world? In my world its all opinion and ive posted PC Gamer readers opinion and it aint WOW.  You pick through everything that promotes your beliefs and ignore everything else. MMO of the decade isnt good enough for you, PC Gamers 14th greatest game of all time, isnt good enough for you. Finances again huh? Best grossing movie of all time, is that your favorite? Best selling author of all time, is he or she whoever it may be your favorite? Best selling vehicle, is that what you prefer to drive? See what youve done? Youve painted yourself into a corner that if you answer no to any of these questions your whole basis for WOW being best is shot down. One website says its game of the decade so it must be true. Show me the link again Zorn and then read my sig.

Perhaps there ARE more innovative games out there. I couldn't care less.

But NO other single game made more money is the factual economic reasoning.

And that game was on PC and it was an MMORPG. Yes everyone should jump in the skies on mmorpg.com.....

Those are facts. WOW alone represents around 35% of the yearly income of the biggest games software group of Activision Blizzard.

Those are facts.

Including figures from the complete 'hardware industry" is silly.

We are talkin about GAME of the decade. Not hardware of the decade, not franchise of the decade.

WOW is most succesful single game of the decade (money wise)...

What's MORE objective than the final balance sheets ?

Personal opinions ? Good for you.

Im going to leave you and WOW alone now Zorn. You kids be good.

• HardangerHardanger Member Posts: 226

The fact is, that no matter whether you actually like the game or not - WoW is the most played MMO ever. It has set the standard for any and all new MMORPG's today, which is especially impressive since it is 5 years old. Of course it is the game of the decade! It would be crazy to suggest that any other game has had the same impact that it has had on its genre.

So to all you whiners who complain that WoW is boring, and the 13,000,000 people who play it are tasteless (which I sort of agree with):

It doesn't matter. WoW is a titan among games, the titan of the decade.

Thanks for correcting my mistake guys, it is 2.1%. So that still leaves 97.9% revenue for the industry that is not WOW. So I stand corrected again :). Now that 2.1% makes the mass influence that WOW suppose able has over the whole industry make since. Now I can really see why ever other game company no matter what they make would want to mimic WOW.
    Although on a more serious note I do agree with you both, that any company that makes a MMO and does not try to learn from what WOW has accomplished stupid.

You figure includes the hardware sales of WII, PS2, PS3, DS, PSP, my grandfathers gaming clock and my grandma's tic tac toe version on the black and white game boy.

The title was ... GAME of the decade, not hardware sales of the decade, nor franchsise of the decade.

Tell me: the biggest gaming sofware group is Activision Blizzard. With BLOCKBUSTERS all over the place in their stock...

that little PC only game makes 35% of the COMPLETE revenu of ALL games on ALL platform of that No 1 group... for several YEARS now ...

So what was the name of the thread again ?

GAME of the decade .....

Not one other single game comes even close to the revenus WOW is bringing to this industry.

Baffling that it was possible on a dying platform (PC's/macs) compared to the giant sales of console games (and ports).

i think the disparity in sales of games is largely due to the nature of PC gaming, while there are quite a few games titles that have released on the pc/mac as well as the console, the majority of the pc gaming market is i believe, online, so while it may look - from a retail point of view at least, that pc gaming is dying, in reality, it is far from it, its just the nature of pc gaming is evolving far faster than console gaming is.

Not one other single game comes even close to the revenus WOW is bringing to this industry.

You keep bringing up the same point. Being crowned game of the year or whatever of the year isn't all about how much money the thing pulls in. The criteria for this achievement is slightly more complicated. Seems like we are going in circles again.

• NaryysysNaryysys Member Posts: 117

You figure includes the hardware sales of WII, PS2, PS3, DS, PSP, my grandfathers gaming clock and my grandma's tic tac toe version on the black and white game boy.

The title was ... GAME of the decade, not hardware sales of the decade, nor franchise of the decade.

Tell me: the biggest gaming sofware group is Activision Blizzard. With BLOCKBUSTERS all over the place in their stock...

that little PC only game makes 35% of the COMPLETE revenu of ALL games on ALL platform of that No 1 group... for several YEARS now ...

So what was the name of the thread again ?

GAME of the decade .....

Baffling that it was possible on a dying platform (PC's/macs) compared to the giant sales of console games (and ports).

You do realize that the majority of this revenue comes not from box sales, but from monthly subscriptions, correct?  It gives it a significant advantage over games like Halo and Call of Duty when you're looking at strictly financial contributions.

However, for other reasons, I would agree that WoW is the game of the decade.  Setting a Guinness World Record for number of active subscriptions being one of those.

• DistopiaDistopia Member EpicPosts: 21,183

For a little perspective this result was based on user feedback.  Just as massively's game of the year award, (runes of magic) funny little fiasco going on over there about their results as well. IGN did a similar thing with the theme being best pc game ever, in each of the others wow placed in the teens. The other winners were ROM, and UFO defense. Also,  yes in PC gamer wow placed the same. There's no argument that wow isn't a successful game, none. However success is not the only thing measured to pick "the one". You can't win every is WOW the best argument with simply stating it's economic success, sorry it doesn't work that way.

Look at movies, often times the winners of awards are movies that were off the public radar, yet were simply well written, directed as well as acted. The gains it has made rarely have a place in such voting, it's about the art not the market.

For every minute you are angry , you lose 60 seconds of happiness."-Emerson

You keep bringing up the same point. Being crowned game of the year or whatever of the year isn't all about how much money the thing pulls in. The criteria for this achievement is slightly more complicated. Seems like we are going in circles again.

how good a game is, isnt really dependent on how much cash it generates, though that might be a signifier.  and in any case is largely dependent on point of view. and while Zorndorfs statement might be true, it isnt of itself a reason..  its just like saying most trees have green leaves, doesnt mean the best leaves are green though

though i have to say, analogies are like statistics.. and everyone knows about statistics right  

if you really wanted to find out what the best game was, you'd have to ask every single gamer, pc and console, and ask them what their favourite game was...  though i'd vote we name and shame all the sims 3 players

• NaryysysNaryysys Member Posts: 117

Originally posted by Naryysys

You do realize that the majority of this revenue comes not from box sales, but from monthly subscriptions, correct?  It gives it a significant advantage over games like Halo and Call of Duty when you're looking at strictly financial contributions.
    However, for other reasons, I would agree that WoW is the game of the decade.  Setting a Guinness World Record for number of active subscriptions being one of those.

Yes I agree.

The yearly (and so long term)  revenu comes from its subscription status.

COD MW2 had a record in its launching period of around 500 million dollars, but expect such games to loose sales rather quickly after launch. Like in 6 months it will hardly be in the top 10 sales.

WOW has it both. Since 2004 in the top sales charts AND the subscriptions (30 dollars revenu EVERY 2 months). That's really a NEW game every 2 months worth of income .

But .... because that revenu comes from subs ... it also means long term playing value.

So the income is related directly to the customer being pleased or not and continue the subscription or cancel.

Giving the economic arguments even MORE worth and value, isn't it ?

Haha, that's quite an interesting idea, indeed.  I do agree that one of the reasons it should be so named the game of the decade is because of its utter dominance of its genre.  No other game has showed that kind of dominance this decade.  It's simply a record-breaker, period.  It's made Blizzard a juggernaut, for better or worse.  Only time will tell.

This discussion has been closed.