Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NO game will be successful by "MMORPG.com" standards

I'll keep this quick and simple, and try not to draw this out (partly due to lack of time, and don't really feel like writing a wall of text that others probably wouldn't want to read either)

So...no MMO is going to be successful by MMORPG.com standards. It might be the "best" sandbox MMO since Ultima Online, and there will still be a lot of people saying how it sucks, or its boring, or too many bugs at release or countless other things. And there are those that just don't like sandbox games.

People here are waiting for a "perfect" MMO, and that is impossible. We can't even get a perfect world, I doubt there will be a "perfect" MMO...because everyones tastes are different. Sure, someone could decide to make their own MMO, but then there is a high chance no one would even play it.

So, people flame MMOs because its not for them...and then people defend the MMO. I imagine this will go on for eternity...because there won't ever be a MMO (or game) that every single person likes.

Point of this? Well, some people seem to get overly defensive or offensive against a MMO...and its pretty much pointless. Its just a GAME for ENTERTAINMENT. 

Comments

• NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417

Originally posted by Orthaos
    We can't even get a perfect world

Yes we can. Its advertisements are all over the homepage. :P

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

• midmagicmidmagic Member Posts: 614

Hmm.. there seem to be quite a few 8+ out of ten MMOs out there. It would appear as though MMORPG.com has already democratically decided some MMOs are a success.

Forever looking for employment. Life is rather dull without it.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Hey i doubt anyone is more demanding than i am and yet i know of a few games i give high rewards to for showing a great effort.The thing is ,there is a ton of absolute garbage games out there,obviously only thrown together to make a buck.

I also know a heck of a lot of what goes into making a game,so they are not going to fool me with any rubbish or fake PR,marketing hype.I can tell in the first few hours if the developer has a clue or not.There is only 3 choices for keyboard layout,WASD ,arrows or keypad,if a developer cannot get that part right,they suck.

If right away i see big flashy arrows over NPC's heads ,i know this is a kiddie fest game,i am out of there.If the developer was too darn lazy to make working doors on the buildings,i am out of there.Another lazy trick is to make towns buildings all joined together ,so you can eliminate several walls,again a cheap design,your not fooling me.

This is basically what i look for,if the developer looks like they were trying to cut corners everywhere in the game,i cannot trust they put any effort or thought into  any of the game.If i see 2-3 playable races,that is again laughable,you were too lazy to put int he effort,i am not supporting your game.

Many of us have  played sports or been in leagues right?well what would you think if you were in a league that only had 2-3 teams?a joke right?well how do you think i feel about games making PVP RvR with only 2-3 factions?It is the exact same thing for me.

So i want to see games,that when they come up with ideas,put some darn effort into it,no i don't want to play a spreadsheet game or spend a year of logging to do nothing but quest to gain levels,are you kidding me,i cannot understand why anyone would do that.

So i do not think i am expecting too much more than what EVERYONE should be expecting from these games.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• altairzqaltairzq Member Posts: 3,811

Point of this? Well, some people seem to get overly defensive or offensive against a MMO...and its pretty much pointless. Its just a GAME for ENTERTAINMENT. 

No, you see, an MMORPG is something else, bigger than a game, bigger than entertainment. It's EPICNESS.

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332

How's the new account working for ya?

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • IlvaldyrIlvaldyr Member CommonPosts: 2,142

So...no MMO is going to be successful by MMORPG.com standards

Well, that's a given .. we don't have a "standard" here.

Everyone wants different things, some preferences are mutually exclusive (example: raiding and permadeath), and some players can't enjoy a playstyle if there are other people playing a different one nearby (forced grouping).

Some people even argue that MMOs aren't designed for fun.

Playing: EVE, Final Fantasy 13, Uncharted 2, Need for Speed: Shift
  • MeridionMeridion Member UncommonPosts: 1,495
    Originally posted by Ilvaldyr

So...no MMO is going to be successful by MMORPG.com standards

Well, that's a given .. we don't have a "standard" here.

Everyone wants different things, some preferences are mutually exclusive (example: raiding and permadeath), and some players can't enjoy a playstyle if there are other people playing a different one nearby (forced grouping).

Some people even argue that MMOs aren't designed for fun.

I'd second this. MMOs are designed to kill your time and intermittedly reward you for killing your time.

You can only rape the game and make it fun by meeting interesting people and doing fun things. If you try to play the game and have fun, forget it, it's like playing chess alone...

M

• LexiscatLexiscat Member Posts: 204

The perfect blossom is a rare thing. You could spend your life looking for one, and it would not be a wasted life.

-Katsumoto

Perfect... They are all... perfect...

-Katsumoto

I tend to agree with Katsumoto. :)

“Nothing excites jaded Grandmasters more than a theoretical novelty”