Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

building a PC

gnomechefgnomechef Member Posts: 49

Ok so ive come here for some help as im making my first attempt at building my own PC and i would like to know if the parts im buying are compatible, good quality, and if im getting good value for money as im on a tight budget. so heres what ive been planning on buying;

Motherboard : ASUS M4A785T-M AM3 AMD785G DDR3 PCI-E

CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 550 3.1Ghz Black Edition (I plan to overclock/ unlock other cores)

RAM: Corsair CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 2x2GB DDR3-1600

PSU: Coolermaster 650W Extreme Power Plus SLi Silent 12CM Fan

Case: Coolermaster Gladiator 600 Mid tower case (Is this big enough?)

Right now this would cost me 583 US dollars, im in new zealand as well

Im also wanting to know whats sort of GPU setup i should be looking for 2x in Crossfire or just a single ATI chip? I dont really want to be spending much more then 200 USD for the GPU/GPUs.

Advice much appreciated. Thanks.

 

 

Comments

  • sage69sage69 Member Posts: 40
    Originally posted by gnomechef


    Ok so ive come here for some help as im making my first attempt at building my own PC and i would like to know if the parts im buying are compatible, good quality, and if im getting good value for money as im on a tight budget. so heres what ive been planning on buying;
    Motherboard : ASUS M4A785T-M AM3 AMD785G DDR3 PCI-E
    CPU: AMD Phenom II X2 550 3.1Ghz Black Edition (I plan to overclock/ unlock other cores)
    RAM: Corsair CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 2x2GB DDR3-1600
    PSU: Coolermaster 650W Extreme Power Plus SLi Silent 12CM Fan
    Case: Coolermaster Gladiator 600 Mid tower case (Is this big enough?)
    Right now this would cost me 583 US dollars, im in new zealand as well
    Im also wanting to know whats sort of GPU setup i should be looking for 2x in Crossfire or just a single ATI chip? I dont really want to be spending much more then 200 USD for the GPU/GPUs.
    Advice much appreciated. Thanks.
     
     

    switch out the PSU for a corsair www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx

     

    ati for under 200 i would go for the www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx

  • noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

    I'd pick up a Radeon 5770 over the 4890, still fast enough to get everything done and has DX11 on top of that. You always want to get the best single GPU you can afford, then Crossfire/SLI as an upgrade route later. Single GPU is guaranteed performance where dual GPU has some caveats.


    Coolermaster has some good PSU's and some bad ones, not sure about that one in particular but its 500W version reviewed pretty poorly. Corsair, Seasonic and some other brands are safe choices because they have nothing but good PSU's.

  • wolf63wolf63 Member Posts: 19

    Man you guys rock working on a rig also glad i came across this post

  • Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977
    Originally posted by noquarter


    I'd pick up a Radeon 5770 over the 4890, still fast enough to get everything done and has DX11 on top of that. You always want to get the best single GPU you can afford, then Crossfire/SLI as an upgrade route later. Single GPU is guaranteed performance where dual GPU has some caveats.


    Coolermaster has some good PSU's and some bad ones, not sure about that one in particular but its 500W version reviewed pretty poorly. Corsair, Seasonic and some other brands are safe choices because they have nothing but good PSU's.



     

    QFT

    I reccomend the 5770 also as a satified customer, no driver troubles and it's cheaper than its closest nVidia counter part.

    "Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

    CS Lewis

  • NormikeNormike Member Posts: 436

     Radeon 5770, cheap, powrful, can crossfire it later if u want, and directx 11 ready.

  • TechleoTechleo Member Posts: 1,984

      You went for a 5770? Ive been tempted to grab one because of the cheap price. There probably a hell of a lot faster then my 4870 OCed if I Oced it.

  • Gweed0Gweed0 Member UncommonPosts: 108

    If i'm looking at the right MB it only has 1 pci-e slot so your not going to be bale to use crossfire on it anyway. All the more reason to buy a 5770. I'm also going to agree with the power supply. I personally prefer Corsair over the others when it comes to ram and power supplies. Another thought would be to get a quad core. If your on a tighter budget than this one should work well. Personally I'm power hungry and would spring the extra 95 bucks and get the 3.4 quad core. It's twice the price and twice the performance. You really dont need to beefy of a PS unless you plan on running several hard drives. I'd go with this 650w.

     

    Edit: Don't forget a OS.

  • noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170


    Originally posted by Gweed0
    If i'm looking at the right MB it only has 1 pci-e slot so your not going to be bale to use crossfire on it anyway.

    Oh, good call. I think it's worth it to spend the extra $10 on Crossfire capable motherboards these days. It's a really cheap investment compared to what it was a years ago when there was a large premium on Crossfire/SLI motherboards.

  • allesguteallesgute Member UncommonPosts: 22

    CPU : intel Core i5-670 better for overclock

    GPU: ati 5770

  • chriscollardchriscollard Member Posts: 4

    i5 psu

    ATI catalyst driver causes issues..

    Nvidia is more reliable and easer to overclock..

    -------------------------------
    Dark Helmet: Before you die there is something you should know about us, Lone Star.
    Lone Starr: What?
    Dark Helmet: I am your father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate.
    Lone Starr: What's that make us?
    Dark Helmet: Absolutely nothing! Which is what you are about to become.

  • allesguteallesgute Member UncommonPosts: 22

    uhm what? you dont know anything about hw

    "ATI catalyst driver causes issues.." what? =D

    "Nvidia is more reliable and easer to overclock.." nvidia sux these days. why buy older and slower gpu?

     

Sign In or Register to comment.