Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2010 - The Year Of Pessimism?

13»

Comments

• deadburntdeadburnt Member Posts: 7

I think some blame needs to be placed.

Who is responsible for the pessimistic attitude MMO gamers seem to hold after such a rough year.

1.  Devs?

2.  Casual Players?

3.  Marketing Departments?

4.  PvPers?

5.  PvE players?

6.  Beta-Pushing Companies?

7.  f2p?

8.  p2p?

9.  Blizzard?

10.  Cryptic?

11.  EA?

12.  Hardcore players?

13.  Bill Muller?

14.  Someone else?

I would insert a poll, but there are too many choices.

Yes, I know that many of the above probably have something to do with the attitude change of 2009.  But come on, there has to be a larger portion of the blame laid upon someone... you know you want to :) 

• libranimlibranim Member Posts: 139

This year taught me to give myself at least a few months before even considering buying a new MMO.

Yes, I guess the chain of dissapointing MMOs certainly lowered my expectations for the 2010 MMOs, but I have not yet competely given up on the genre, I just am more careful as to what I need to purchase.

Hopefully there will be a real changer in the genre, who knows?

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

I wouldn't consider myself pessimistic or optimistic, but rather a realist.  We have all seen the latest round of mediocrity.  The companies that can afford triple A, high production values are taking the genre in a direction many mmo fans don't want it to go.  We are moving away from world creation and moving toward more scripted, zoned, instanced content.  In effect, we are going backwards not forwards.  Don't be fooled by newer shaders and fancy new lighting.  Lipstick on a pig.

Fallen Earth was probably the most interesting thing to happen in 2009 to the mmo space.  Everything else was either a rehash, or half baked poorly concieved game design.

• FreddyNoNoseFreddyNoNose Member Posts: 1,558
    Originally posted by Torik

Originally posted by Robsolf

This site is a pretty pessimistic crowd as a rule, but yeah, I see the trend you're talking about.  I think of it more as a case of learning their lesson about predicting the success of upcoming games.  Lessons like:

1.  The only game that will kill WoW is WoW.

2.  Getting what you want isn't always a good thing.

3.  WoW's success is the exception, not the rule.

I remember the WoW-killer stuff particularly; WAR was usually the one mentioned that would tear it down, though occasionally AoC was brought up.  It's one thing to be wrong, another to be nearly impossible to be less right.  So now it seems the best chance to be right is to say all these upcoming games will fail.

However, there's a good chance they'll be wrong, again.  Seems they didn't learn the true lesson which is, predicting whether a game will be successful or not is folly at best.  Many just learned to assume that everything new will die just like most the games of the past couple years...

There is a fine line between realism and pessimism.  ie 'the new games will probably suck' vs 'the new games will suck'.

Being negative isn't more accurate than being positive.

• mindw0rkmindw0rk Member UncommonPosts: 1,356

2009 was a bad year for MMOs but 2010 going to be one of the best. Big hits incoming: SW:ToR, FF14, GW2 and some other cool projects.