Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why no free demo?

boojiboyboojiboy Member UncommonPosts: 1,553

Why is there no free demo?  It makes it look like they are pushing people to box sales before trying the game for a week or two.

Comments

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

Because no game unless it is losing a lot of subs would make a free trial after 2-3 months of launch.

At least they made the referral keys try posting there and hope someone has a key for you.

• sakersaker Member RarePosts: 1,458

Originally posted by bloodaxes
    Because no game unless it is losing a lot of subs would make a free trial after 2-3 months of launch.
    At least they made the referral keys try posting there and hope someone has a key for you.

I disagree, smart companies want you to be able to have a look.

Originally posted by saker

When you have a trail you no longer need to purchase a box because the account is gotten free in other words less $$ from boxes.

That's why there's open beta and gameplay videos not the devs fault if you didn't try it at that time.

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

Yeah, that's true. Devs like a big income boost from box sales, so they tend to wait a while before offering a trial. Besides that, though, most games launch in pretty rough condition. Even if the launch is smooth and the game is good, it (should) only get better with time. Waiting a while to openly offer your game is smart, because you're offering something better than what you launched with. Thus garnering more subs.

• dodsfalldodsfall Member UncommonPosts: 173

Free accounts also bring in tons of spammers. At $50 a shot, it starts to get painful when banned repeatedly, but an unlimited number of free accounts is the right price for most spammers.

Some companies restrict trading or chat for trial accounts because of this.

It's likely a trial will come out sometime down the road. It may take a year or two. You can give it a shot then.

• tirallumtirallum Member UncommonPosts: 205

Spammers use stolen CCs or stolen accounts anyway, not like they hand over 35$ so happily. Doubt it makes any noticeable difference. What are the conditions of the referral program? max lvl7, only at the noobie zone, with limitations on pms or something like that.

Originally posted by tirallum

Spammers use stolen CCs or stolen accounts anyway, not like they hand over 35$ so happily. Doubt it makes any noticeable difference. What are the conditions of the referral program? max lvl7, only at the noobie zone, with limitations on pms or something like that.

That to prevent gold farmers and gold spammers, if you want to try more before deciding go try it in some private server then it's a demo you won't have 50% of the game in it to try before deciding to keep on playing or not duh.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    Originally posted by boojiboy

Why is there no free demo?  It makes it look like they are pushing people to box sales before trying the game for a week or two.

They have a refer a friend program where people can send you a trial. It has limits and will not really show you all the game has to offer but I think it's enough to at least allow you to experience the game and get a general feel of a few things. You will not be able to experience pvp in this trial (possibly with the exception of duels) so there it is.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

When you have a trail you no longer need to purchase a box because the account is gotten free in other words less $$ from boxes.

That's why there's open beta and gameplay videos not the devs fault if you didn't try it at that time.

Not necessarily true.  They can make you pay a full box price for your first month after the trial.  WoW used to do that.

• boojiboyboojiboy Member UncommonPosts: 1,553

I understand some of the drawbacks, but if the game company thinks Aion is a product that would hook people with a little taste, then I think the benefits of a free demo would out-weight the downsides.

I just can't bring myself to buy a box when I have no idea if I'd like the game or not.  It's like paying $50 for a demo.

• galahangalahan Member Posts: 14
    Originally posted by boojiboy

I understand some of the drawbacks, but if the game company thinks Aion is a product that would hook people with a little taste, then I think the benefits of a free demo would out-weight the downsides.
    I just can't bring myself to buy a box when I have no idea if I'd like the game or not.  It's like paying $50 for a demo.

I agree, it's a very bizarre decision on their part. They could reduce a lot of fraud by doing automated phone or SMS verifications, and still provide legit players with a demo. 

• boojiboyboojiboy Member UncommonPosts: 1,553

How do the account keys work that can be given out?  I can't find one from any current players.

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

I've sent you a PM, check it.

While Aion features no public trial keys, it features a refer-a-friend program that gives a demo period for you to try the game.

• //\//\oo//\//\oo Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,767

It's bad, but they want your money. 

This is a sequence of characters intended to produce some profound mental effect, but it has failed.

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

By smart you mean ofcourse what would be in your best interest.

Smart companies don't release free trials shortly after launch, because hype is the biggest during the launch era, which means more box sales. When that happens, you want players to get carried by the hype and buy a box asap, not give them 2 weeks to think about it.

• wkdkicksass8wkdkicksass8 Member Posts: 11

Just buy the game

Aion IGN: Elrang lvl 13
    Class: Gladiator
    Server: Spatalos
    Region: EU