Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Skills and Abilities

What if a game had character classes that had 10-30 skills, but only allowed you to use 5 of them at any given time?

What do you think of a system like this?

Does it create a game where every character can be a Knight but still play differently?

i.e. Some skills would allow positional attacks, some would be geared towards party buffing, some may even allow you to control peasant soldiers.

Comments

• jdram14jdram14 Member Posts: 36

Go to the store.

Grab Guild Wars off the shelf.

Install and play.

???

Profit!

• pyrofreakpyrofreak Member UncommonPosts: 1,481
    Originally posted by jdram14

Go to the store.
    Grab Guild Wars off the shelf.
    Install and play.
    ???
    Profit!

Great success!

Now with 57.3% more flames!

• ThorqemadaThorqemada Member UncommonPosts: 1,282

For a skillsystem i would use a pool of skillpoints and let them grow infinite but with exponentially growing requirements.

You can make several pools of skillpoints, maybe only two for each crafting and fighting, or more pools i.e. melee combat/ranged combat/casting, or only one pool to let the player decide to specialize - you can weight pool if you have more, so you have a main pool and every other can be not more than 75% or 50% or else...

For abilities i would like to learn them by experience or quests or trainers.

So if i slay 100 boars i get more experienced with boars and learn a move with a polearm named boarkiller that gives me a 50% chance to make a fatality on a normal boar - and you dont fight boars with swords, you use polearms ;)

Do i slay 1000 boars i get a new move with an 75% fatality chance etc...

And this for every single class of mobs in the game!

So too - different waepons do very different to each class of enemy may it be an animal, a human, magic or melee etc...

A rogue fighting a tank in full plate does no damage until he makes a crit as the plate blocks all dagger damage and the rogue is not experienced with heavy waepons that can brake a plate armor...but the more tanks he fights, the more he learns to do crits ;)

A bit hardcore i think....hehe...

"Torquemada... do not implore him for compassion. Torquemada... do not beg him for forgiveness. Torquemada... do not ask him for mercy. Let's face it, you can't Torquemada anything!"

MWO Music Video - What does the Mech say: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FF6HYNqCDLI
    Johnny Cash - The Man Comes Around: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0x2iwK0BKM

• QuirhidQuirhid Member UncommonPosts: 6,230
    Originally posted by Blutmaul

For a skillsystem i would use a pool of skillpoints and let them grow infinite but with exponentially growing requirements.
    You can make several pools of skillpoints, maybe only two for each crafting and fighting, or more pools i.e. melee combat/ranged combat/casting, or only one pool to let the player decide to specialize - you can weight pool if you have more, so you have a main pool and every other can be not more than 75% or 50% or else...

For abilities i would like to learn them by experience or quests or trainers.
    So if i slay 100 boars i get more experienced with boars and learn a move with a polearm named boarkiller that gives me a 50% chance to make a fatality on a normal boar - and you dont fight boars with swords, you use polearms ;)
    Do i slay 1000 boars i get a new move with an 75% fatality chance etc...
    And this for every single class of mobs in the game!

So too - different waepons do very different to each class of enemy may it be an animal, a human, magic or melee etc...

A rogue fighting a tank in full plate does no damage until he makes a crit as the plate blocks all dagger damage and the rogue is not experienced with heavy waepons that can brake a plate armor...but the more tanks he fights, the more he learns to do crits ;)

A bit hardcore i think....hehe...

Hardcore? -No. Grindy and invites to use macroes to "lvl-up".

I skate to where the puck is going to be, not where it has been -Wayne Gretzky

• ChrisMatternChrisMattern Member Posts: 1,478

Originally posted by RedChampion
    What if a game had character classes that had 10-30 skills, but only allowed you to use 5 of them at any given time?

I think they called it "Guild Wars".

• TorikTorik Member UncommonPosts: 2,342
    Originally posted by RedChampion

Does it create a game where every character can be a Knight but still play differently?
    i.e. Some skills would allow positional attacks, some would be geared towards party buffing, some may even allow you to control peasant soldiers.

Guild Wars manages this pretty well while other games are just as likely screw this up.  It depends purely on the game and what the skills actually do.  If the skills are too  unbalanced, you will get cookie-cutter characters since the 'top 5' skills are just too good to pass up if you do not want to gimp yoruself.