Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Eve trial - how to use my time

RobokappRobokapp Member RarePosts: 6,217

Hello everyone. I just finished the trial download, made my account and did the tutorial. Everything's all good so far. My autopilot constantly sends me in the wrong place than I tell him to and I get lost even if i sneeze...I suck with controls and every action takes at least 5 minutes. Oh well. That comes with time.

my two questions are:

1) It said I'm in server...some name. But I know there's only one universe. Am I assuming correctly that because I'm a trial I'm in a little kids playground and not in the real universe? Or am I in the same place with everyone and I just didn't run into anybody yet?

2) the important question: as I discovered, the game has a very large learning curve of fundamental commands. That's not a problem. But how should I spend my time in the trial to help me better decide if I upgrade or not? Should I start some professions? maybe join a corp? CAN I even join one as trial? or should i just fly around? I mean...how can i get a small experience in such a short period of time? I'm not talking about anything fancy, just the basics. What should i focus on to get an impression?

2.5) Uh...flyng. I figured out how to set autopilot, control speed and warp around, dock, loot, shoot at things etc. (i killed a drone. after it fired at me for 5 minutes. I'm sure you're all impressed.) But am i able to turn the nose of my ship and fly in whichever direction I want or do i just bounce from refference point to refference point?

I know stuff without a refference point is just empty space but can I fly around freely or do I have to anchor my destination to a location first?

finally: (noob question here) the trial told me to go for Military carreer but I didn't find the guy where they sent me. Can I get some help getting in touch with him? I should be in his space station i think but my skills in working the interface are terrible.

tyvm for your time.

~Robokapp

Comments

• ZykeZyke Member Posts: 335

1) It said I'm in server...some name. But I know there's only one universe. Am I assuming correctly that because I'm a trial I'm in a little kids playground and not in the real universe? Or am I in the same place with everyone and I just didn't run into anybody yet?
    2) the important question: as I discovered, the game has a very large learning curve of fundamental commands. That's not a problem. But how should I spend my time in the trial to help me better decide if I upgrade or not? Should I start some professions? maybe join a corp? CAN I even join one as trial? or should i just fly around? I mean...how can i get a small experience in such a short period of time? I'm not talking about anything fancy, just the basics. What should i focus on to get an impression?
    2.5) Uh...flyng. I figured out how to set autopilot, control speed and warp around, dock, loot, shoot at things etc. (i killed a drone. after it fired at me for 5 minutes. I'm sure you're all impressed.) But am i able to turn the nose of my ship and fly in whichever direction I want or do i just bounce from refference point to refference point?
    I know stuff without a refference point is just empty space but can I fly around freely or do I have to anchor my destination to a location first?
    finally: (noob question here) the trial told me to go for Military carreer but I didn't find the guy where they sent me. Can I get some help getting in touch with him? I should be in his space station i think but my skills in working the interface are terrible.

1. You're playing on Tranquility, aka TQ, and yes you're on the same server as everyone else. If you check your local window in chat you'll notice you are not alone. Once you get into the game a bit you'll start to notice a ton of people. But space is lonely and if you're coming off of another game it's a lot less apparent  where other players are until you get used to the game.

2. For your trial, finish the tutorial. Once you have, I HIGHLY recommend you find a corp that helps new players. Look up Eve University- they're a corp that specializes in doing nothing but helping out new players such as yourself learn the game. Figure out what you want to do. Fleet warfare? Small gang? PvE? Production? Trading? Exploration? Pirate? It's up to you. Once you find out what you like to do, you'll want to start looking for a corp of similarly minded people to help you with those goals.

2.5. Double click in space. Your ship will turn in the direction you click.

3. I haven't done the new tutorial but I imagine this should help:

- Open your people/places window.

- Click the "agents" tab

- Look at the agents and see which is the military one. If you haven't done any missions your standing with him will be 0

- It should say the system/station he's in from there.

• DonTrumpDonTrump Member Posts: 104

1.You are on the real live server (there is only 1)

2. Do the tutorials, do some missions, look in rookie chat/browse the forums to see what others are talking about.  Yes you can join a corp, consider joining Eve University.

2.5 You cant just free fly, it has to be a destination or double clicking in space to give a direction

Make sure you are looking at the agents tab in station.

• RobokappRobokapp Member RarePosts: 6,217

I sent an application to Eve University.

their in-game psge told me how to open a channel named E-UNI but I couldn't figure it out, of course.

any help on that?

I'm liking it so far btw :). The grinder in me tells me I'll love mining so I'm training that and then I'll do some quests in this area.

tyvm for all replies. I don't regret downloading it the game. I feel I'll have a lot of fun with it.

I also asked a question in the rookie chat and nobody called me a noob. And they actually helped me out. That was a surprise.

finally, I keep getting the message "you are not in a rookie system. teleport to <name>". Am I doing something wrong?

The guide to join channels is probably messed up since joining channels was changed in Dominion.

Just look at the top right corner of your chat window. There should be a little speech bubble there somewhere. Click it and type in the name of the channel exactly as it says and hit join. That should do it.

If you like grinding, well, you're gonna love mining and missions. lol. Most people find them boring as shit but if you actually enjoy it you'll be a very rich pilot after you get into it.

In terms of the rookie system thing you're fine. The only thing is that as far as I know the tutorials are in the rookie systems, and those are "safe" areas for new players. They're basically the only place in the game that players can't be scammed or stolen from, so new players aren't taken advantage of. At least not right away :P

There's absolutely no reason you would have to be there though if you don't want to be. As you've said though you aren't likely to find much "lol noob" in this game in the rookie area. That's what it's there for. EVE is a hard game to get into and players tend to be friendly towards the new guys as long as you come across as mature and intelligent. The only real way to get flamed as a rookie is to seem like an idiot or a jackass.

Didn't want to make another topic so I'll bump this one with some updates.

first, I have a feeling I've been playing the game wrong, yet I'm enjoying it quite a lot.

I havent joined a corp, I havent done any PvP, I've just been mining for the past 3 days and questing. Grinding and PvE in a sandbox. Can you tell how wrong this feels? Anyway. I'm having a lot of fun with it anyway, and so I'll update to full account in the next few days.

A couple of questions, again:

1)I see sometimes around stations and in asteroid belts ships marked with a green square (I imagine these are friendly) and ships marked with yellow. (typically this color indicates passive neutral). Is my assumption correct?

2)factions, alliances, races etc: How does PvP work, really? Is opening fire upon my own race an act of treason that'll get me in trouble? or are the races mixed and alliances can have multiple races, or you can have enemies within the same race?

3)pvp combat: While I don't intend to go trigger-happy in every mining barge i see, what'd happen if I open fire on a mining barge in an asteroid field in a 0.9 area? Aside from getting killed by that ship? will i get blown to bits when i go back to the station?

4)big targets like stations, planets, gates: In the past i tested weapons and ammunition (yes i figured how to load a weapon. after a while) on asteroids. What'd happen if i open fire on something bigger like a planet? Or a station? ( i have a feeling the big police vessels flying around will quickly turn me into an ascape pod.

5) economy. Tutorial told me it's mostly player-crafted, player-driven. Aside from some small insignifficant items I grabbed off the pirate ships i blew up. And i bought a sigil which I cant use yet. But are the big, important things player-made? like ships? could I in the distant future craft such items? Since i enjoy mining, I'll probably enjoy crafting too.

6) pvp: when is it 'ok' to shoot at a player? aside from when he shoots first?

7) should i always fly with the cargo empty? since I mine, I obviously want that for now. Or should i carry different types of ammunition just in case, other items etc? What should I put in my bags before i venture in space?

8) PvE. The missions i got so far are pretty interesting. I know you all think they're boring, and i probably will too in a few months. But is the mission flow constant? or once you're done with a station for all agents that's it for questing?

8.5) are agent 'reputations' critical for the game? are there quests I better make sure I do or I'm screwed? such as attunment quests in other MMO's etc?

9) probably dumb but each ship comes with a number of modules. Can the number be upgraded, or is that the best the ship can do?

tyvm for your time.

~Robokapp

9) probably dumb but each ship comes with a number of modules. Can the number be upgraded, or is that the best the ship can do?
    tyvm for your time.
    ~Robokapp

1. Green usually means same corp. In your case it just means they're in the same NPC corp as you, and doesn't necessarily mean friendly.Yellow just means they have a negative sec status iirc. This in itself means very little.

2. Races effect your portrait and starting skills. And some attributes. That's about it. If you shoot ANYONE in high sec that isn't either at war with you or in the same PLAYER corp as you, CONCORD (police) will come annihilate you. High sec means .5 and up. Alliances and corps can be made up of any mix of races they want. 

PvP works as follows:

Low sec: .4 -> .1. You can fire on anyone without CONCORD, though you lose sec status. If it gets too low you'll gradually become KOS and CONCORDed in 1.0 systems and eventually all the way down to .5. You lose a small amount of status for firing on another player, a small chunk for blowing them up, and a lot for pod kills. War targets and corp mates don't effect this.

Low sec gates and stations also have sentry guns that will open fire on the aggressors of any engagement or on anyone with below -5 sec status. Same rules as above apply though- if you are at war with or in the same corp as the guy you're firing on, the sentries leave you alone unless you're below -5. They can be tanked though if you're prepared and aren't that powerful against BC and up sized ships. And, once again, they only fire on the aggressors. Retaliation will not cause aggression against the guns.

The final type is 0.0 PvP. This is FFA, anything goes, no consequences PvP except those given by the players. Your sec status is not effected, there are no sentry guns or police. Player made rules dominate here.

There are also corp and alliance wars which I've mentioned above. These basically make your corp and the other corp/alliance have 0.0 rules in all systems with each other. IE, Concord, gate guns, sec status don't intervene with war targets no matter where you are.

3. I already answered most of this, but you get a 15 minute aggression timer when you attack someone in high or low sec. In low sec it just means the gate guns will shoot at you until it passes. In high sec having this timer means CONCORD will kill you if you are in space in anything but a pod. They'll blow up the ship you attack in, and will then blow up any ship you undock with until the timer is up. The only thing they don't shoot is your pod.

4. You can't lock a planet or moon so that's a moot point. Stations work with the same rules as other players in terms of aggression and consequences.

5. Every ship, piece of ammo, drone, mod, rig, etc. you see on the market is player made. Every ore and mineral you see on the market was player mined and refined. Only a very small amount of items are seeded automatically. 95%+ of the items on the market came from a player in some way.

The market in EVE is ridiculously fleshed out and in depth. People make their entire living in eve mining, producing anything from ammo charges to ships, trading goods from system to system or region to region, and everything related. EVE is a PvP game, and that includes the market as well.

6. EVE is not a game of morals. Aside from the rules I explained above you can do whatever you want. Occasionally you'll get emo rage over it but the vast majority of players accept that that's what eve is about. There's no designations of "PKs" or "anti PK" like in some other games. There's only those that fight and those who end up being their victims. There's no "fair" in EVE.

7. This is too complex to answer. You just have to ask yourself, what ship am I flying? What is this ship for? What do i want to do with it? 

And then plan accordingly. As you gain experience and get advice for more specific situations you'll start to learn what to take and when. Generally though combat ships carry 2-3 types of ammo depending on the ship and the tactics you plan to use. You plan out what drones and scripts to use in a similar manner. For mining you generally want an empty hold for obvious reasons.

8. Missions are handed out indefinitely. You could use the same agent from now until 2011 and never run out of missions. You will notice a lot of repetition though.

8.5. No. Reputation with agents will effect the quality of missions you get and their rewards if I remember right, and standing with the corp they're in will effect the quality and level of the agents you can use, but there's nothing like attunement quests and what not. With enough effort and time any standing issues can be fixed.

9. The number of slots (high, med, low) on a ship is fixed. If you look at the number of module, ammo, drone, and rig types on the market however, you'll start to see how this doesn't really make them all the same. You could get 10 people flying the same ship and chances are they'd all have somewhat different fits. Though generally each ship has a certain role its best at and their fits reflect that, though it can be used for pretty much anything.

I see. most of that makes sense.

final small questions:

corporations vs alliances: what's the relationship? is an alliance just a gathering of corporations? Or can i be in an alliance without being in a corp, or in a corp and not in an alliance etc.

also, joining the "militia". is that bad? It mentioned something about "enemies shooting at you". who are these enemies? are they other races? like PvE lore-wise? And would you reccomend I join? what are pros/cons? and once I join can I leave?

• batolemaeusbatolemaeus Member CommonPosts: 2,061

Originally posted by Robokapp
    final small questions:

corporations vs alliances: what's the relationship? is an alliance just a gathering of corporations? Or can i be in an alliance without being in a corp, or in a corp and not in an alliance etc.
    also, joining the "militia". is that bad? It mentioned something about "enemies shooting at you". who are these enemies? are they other races? like PvE lore-wise? And would you reccomend I join? what are pros/cons? and once I join can I leave?

An alliance consists of corporations. You can have a one man corp in a one corp alliance, but there isn't really a point.
    A corp doesn't have to be in an alliance. However, most 0.0 inhabitants are in alliances because only those can lay official claim to systems.

Also, screw lore. If you join a militia, you join a force of players that kill the enemy militia, which is the only thing defined by lore. You side with an npc faction (one of the four empires to be precise), but it's good ol' pvp, mostly.
    There are corps out there that joined the militia and offer good newbie training in fleet warfare and general survival in a pvp environment. Not my cup of tea however..i hate npc with passion and prefer the free form nature of 0.0.

Originally posted by Zyke

8.5. No. Reputation with agents will effect the quality of missions you get and their rewards if I remember right

The quality of pve grind mission crap given out by a given agent is not affected by your standings. nor by the quality of the agent.
    The only defining factor is the level of the agent. Nothing else affects mission quality. The division the agent is working in affects the distribution of missions between mining/killing/transporting, but not the quality.
  • HYPERI0NHYPERI0N Member Posts: 3,515
    Originally posted by batolemaeus

Originally posted by Robokapp

final small questions:

An alliance consists of corporations. You can have a one man corp in a one corp alliance, but there isn't really a point.

A corp doesn't have to be in an alliance. However, most 0.0 inhabitants are in alliances because only those can lay official claim to systems.

Also, screw lore. If you join a militia, you join a force of players that kill the enemy militia, which is the only thing defined by lore. You side with an npc faction (one of the four empires to be precise), but it's good ol' pvp, mostly.

There are corps out there that joined the militia and offer good newbie training in fleet warfare and general survival in a pvp environment. Not my cup of tea however..i hate npc with passion and prefer the free form nature of 0.0.

Originally posted by Zyke

8.5. No. Reputation with agents will effect the quality of missions you get and their rewards if I remember right

The quality of pve grind mission crap given out by a given agent is not affected by your standings. nor by the quality of the agent.

The only defining factor is the level of the agent. Nothing else affects mission quality. The division the agent is working in affects the distribution of missions between mining/killing/transporting, but not the quality.

Actually the Quality of the agent can raise your faction standing faster i find. For example a level 1 agent at -19 quality is worst than a level 1 agent at -18 quality. So if you want to get to the higher level agents faster then keep changing agents when you have access to high quality ones.

Oh and to the OP to find agents select a NPC corperation and go to its info and select the AGENTS tab.

I hope you enjoy EvE.

Another great example of Moore's Law. Give people access to that much space (developers and users alike) and they'll find uses for it that you can never imagine. "640K ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates 1981