Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How does it compare to EQ2?

2»

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015

My opinion is that the world is far better than EQ 2.

Eq 2 is too cutsey for me.

I really enjoy the classes in EQ 2 but Vanguard is the game that I keep a sub to.

I will keep this sub until they close the doors.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by demonic87

Originally posted by Meridion

You can buy it for 3 bucks including 30 days playtime. It'll take under 12 hours played to see why it has such a low population. It's game mechanics came straight out of 1999...
    M

Yes, because EVE online is so advanced. You log in, press a stat to raise, log off. Repeat that for a couple months and you can finally play the main aspect of the game!

2003 is more advanced than 1999...

Seriously, Vanguard do have the best crafting out there and a few other aspects that are really modern. The core however is the same as in EQ. That is not the reason it have so few subs, the true reason for that is that sigils programmers were pathethic and SOE bought the game and launched it before fixing it up, sometimes I think they did it just to piss Brad off.

It is better than EQ2 in some aspect but in others it is far behind, EQ2 is constantly being updated unlike VG.

• MeridionMeridion Member UncommonPosts: 1,495
    Originally posted by Loke666

Originally posted by demonic87

Originally posted by Meridion

You can buy it for 3 bucks including 30 days playtime. It'll take under 12 hours played to see why it has such a low population. It's game mechanics came straight out of 1999...
    M

Yes, because EVE online is so advanced. You log in, press a stat to raise, log off. Repeat that for a couple months and you can finally play the main aspect of the game!

2003 is more advanced than 1999...

Seriously, Vanguard do have the best crafting out there and a few other aspects that are really modern. The core however is the same as in EQ. That is not the reason it have so few subs, the true reason for that is that sigils programmers were pathethic and SOE bought the game and launched it before fixing it up, sometimes I think they did it just to piss Brad off.

It is better than EQ2 in some aspect but in others it is far behind, EQ2 is constantly being updated unlike VG.

But to be honest, it doesn't at all deserve to be deserted. As comical as these nostalgia games (EQ, EQ2, VG) are, with their real life doll artstyle, their 1990s pacing and their spawn camp dungeons, Vanguard is by no means the worst one of them.

Everquest 2 enjoys full support and healthy subscriber numbers while providing awful world and character design, penny-novel lore and the comedy gold click-wait-wait-123 damage-click-wait-wait-100 damage mechanic.

M

EDIT: Even if you come from LotRO and play one of these games (EQ, EQ2, VG) LotRO feels fast and responsive, although it's very, very slow paced compared to games like WoW, AoC or Aion.

• MeridionMeridion Member UncommonPosts: 1,495
    Originally posted by slowpoke68

I retried EQ2 this week and also gave VG a shot about a month ago.
    VG is vastly superior if you are looking for an mmo like EQ1.  However VG is on its last legs and I will frankly be surprised if it sees 2011.  I hate to say this as I think VG was a great game with a great community.
    I don't know what it is that I hate about EQ2 so much.  I want to like it but just can't play it.  Maybe its just irrational residual hostility over launch, but as open minded as I try to be, I just hate that game.  The game world is sterile and unengaging, the graphics engine is a broken pos, the spell effects are stupid and recycled for every class, the combat mechanics are some of the worst I have seen, there are plane clipping and animation glitches that should have been ironed out in beta, and you are reminded of SOE's money grubbing by the character slot limit.  In my opinion it is just complete slop, and the most disappointing mmo of all time.
    I wouldn't play either one.  Go back to the drawing board and look for something else.

edit
    Sorry about that....no use whatsoever to OP.  Just had to vent my EQ2 nerd rage.

That's what I was talking about.

Vanguard has at least a gigantic, beautiful world to discover and tons over tons of well-made quests...

... EQ2 is just a clunky piece of 90s which has a solid foundation of followers, god knows why.

M