Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wow, devs are having a meltdown?

Comments

• oakthornnoakthornn Member UncommonPosts: 863
    Originally posted by prow

Originally posted by rlmccoy1987

Time to find another game is what it means

I think they can still pull it off eventually (3 - 6 months) but releasing next month is a bad idea IMO.

I have already received a refund from my credit card and will not be returning

I purchased MO back in August.. I tried logging in everyday for about a month with no success. Either the servers were down, crashed, or I timed out trying to log in, lol...

I tried getting a refund on my credit card but with no success.. How did you get your refund, If I may ask?

It's a shame MO is turning into another Dark&Light, and Darkfall, but supposedly even worse from everything I've read.. The game sounded so awesome on paper, which is why I pre purchased it back in August.. But it seems snothing has changed in the last 4 months, which sounds obvious that Mortal Online is destined to be a failure no matter what the fanboys try to say..

Look at Vanguard. I actually loved the concept and even played the game from beta 2 all the way until 3 months after release. I managed to get my main to level 40 and dealt with all the performance issues, mob warping issues, and enormous amounts of bugs simply because if you could deal with all those negative things, everything else about the game was awesome.. But, there were few people who shared my feelings. Many quit within 1 hour after installation never to come back... Vangaurd had about 20,000 loyal fans 3 months after release after selling around a million copies of the game at release..

You can't expect a game to get better and more subs after a bad launch. It rarely ever happens.. With most MMORPG's, you either hit or miss at launch. Fans will judge the game based on how it is at launch. If they give it two thumbs down then, it will take a miracle for them to come back a few months later because that bad taste will still be in their mouth from before...

Personally, after reading all the negative talk regarding MO, I don't even want to waste my time logging in. I just want my money back now and by summertime if the game somehow does a 360, I may try it out then, but I doubt that's likely to happen..

WARNING:  THIS PART OF MY POST IS IRRELEVANT TO THE TOPIC AT HAND. :)

Guess I'll either resub to LOTRO or EQ2 again...  But I don't know If I want to resub for EQ2 simply because the mentor system is the worse implemented feature I've ever seen in any mmorpg ever made.. I want all the dungeons I venture into to be challenging and fun. I don't want to be grouped with level 80's who mentored down to level 50 to breeze through the dungeon in 20 minutes and wreck everything in our path like the tazmanian devil.. *sigh* thats not fun, it's EZ crapola mode..

As for LOTRO, at least that game is newer but the only problem with that is half the newbies are people rolling alts.. And If you try to do any of the group book quests, you'll never find a group because not many alts care to go through that again.. Me personally, I'd want to experience all the fun challenging content on my way to the top. I don't want to power level myself to where everyone else is at while skipping out on all the fun stuff at the earlier levels.. *sigh*

So, I dunno,, maybe I'm just done with MMO's altogether because these companies cater to the whinners who want everything NOW and complain if it takes more than a day to level..

I remember playing the old everquest and starting about 2 years after it was first released. I didn't reach 60 for like 6 months later and those powergamers and top guilds from day one were still doing raids like Vox, Naggy, Trakanon, Venril Sathir, Plane of fear/hate, etc. Why you ask? Because the best loot in the game were still in those areas, people needed those certain mobs to complete their long tedious epic quests, and the content was still fun, challenging, and worth doing...

Nowadays, companies cater to the crybabies and hardcore powergamers. Everytime new content comes out, the previous content in the game becomes obselete and pointless to do, Especially if it requires a group. The vets rush to the new content as soon as its released because there's no reason to go back and do the end game raid content from rpevious expansions..

Well, guess what? Veteran MMO gamers like myself understand this and this is one reason a lot of us are home lurking the forums for a new or old mmo to get back into, but we hesitate on pulling the trigger because of what I explained above...

Some of these companies need to jot some notes down to see how companies like Verant Interactive, Mythic, and even SOE with "EQ" kept their games like EQ and DAOC fresh and fun for "NEW" and "OLD VETS" for years...

Ok my rant is over. :)

Rallithon Oakthornn
    (Retired Heirophant of the 60th season)

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

And then there was one...

Darkfall

Mortal Online

Fallen Earth

Earthrise

I feel bad for you sandbox guys. Get over "waaaaah I don't have a character model" and join EVE, it's clearly the best option until Earthrise comes out.

Now of course, MO could be great by the time it's released, and I hope it is. Negativity is usually inflated on this site, so things may not be as bad as they seem. Even so, there seem to be people who like it (despite all the flaws). Just like Darkfall, though I still think most people play Darkfall because there's nothing better. If MO works out, they'll probably jump ship and switch games.

• prowprow Member Posts: 188
    Originally posted by oakthornn

I purchased MO back in August.. I tried logging in everyday for about a month with no success. Either the servers were down, crashed, or I timed out trying to log in, lol...
    I tried getting a refund on my credit card but with no success.. How did you get your refund, If I may ask?

Dispute it and tell them that you got scammed.  Tell them that you never received the product back in September (at the time it wsa september when the boxes were suppose to be shipped out only to be delayed)

• BrianshoBriansho Member UncommonPosts: 3,586

Wow I was amazed at some of the posts people are putting in that topic. I guess if you can "buy" the game and log in and create a character it's technically a full "feature" release ready to go. If I dropped $60+ on a game in alpha pre-production stage I would be defending it and making wild claims too!

Don't be terrorized! You're more likely to die of a car accident, drowning, fire, or murder! More people die every year from prescription drugs than terrorism LOL!

• SigrandSigrand Member UncommonPosts: 367
    Originally posted by HerculesSAS
    If people had expected that beta = feature complete, as I said, then expectations for the developers would be to deliver as such. But in a continual effort to say "Oh they are an indie team!" the standards were lowered, and lowered. Many of us who were lured in by what was put on paper as what the game design was, and then experienced a game world that wasn't even close drew early points to that effect, and were flamed off the forums.

The sad thing in this case, is that the fanboys were actually believed and any complaints were closed or deleted. I have been watching threads and seeing how MO moderators see people who are upset they paid the money, complaining about the state of the game (rightly so, there is money involved now), and they are banned from the forums, their posts are entirely deleted, so that the conversation can appear to look less negative.

The thing about those "fanboys" is that a lot of the times they DID have the right of it.  If someone expected the game to be feature complete in beta... they're an idiot.  The devs said very clearly what would be in the game.  I mean, they actually told us that only certain systems would be in, and some of them would be very basic.  They made a new announcement that said what the beta would entail right before they opened the shop so everyone knew what to expect.  Even the powerpoint presentation they put out said that a lot of the ideas would not be in at launch but shortly thereafter.  Everything they listed in that announcement is in the game right now, although some things to a lesser extent than we might like (PvE and Magic, namely).

I'll specifically list what they mentioned, for those too lazy to check the announcement:

- The full Myrland continent - In (minus Tindrem - coming I'm sure)

- At least 9 races, male and female - In

- Blood mix and character customization - In

- Main features of the skill system -  In

- Full PvP, full loot - In

- Full melee and ranged combat - In

- Basic magic combat - In (though piss poor)

- Mounts and mounted combat - In

- Basic GUI for the crafting system - In

- Resource gathering - In

- Basic Guild mechanics - In

- Basic player housing - In

- Basic NPC mobs and wildlife - In(Again needs a lot more but it IS in)

- Hidden/secret features - In

This last patch obviously messed things up as far as server stability, but once that's fixed and Tindrem is added, they'll have included everything they set out to include.  If that's not enough to keep you happy, that's your fault for buying the game.  You knew what to expect, if you were overly optimistic, that's not the devs' fault.  They made it perfectly clear what they were working toward.

After that if they add all the mobs they've developed, which are quite a few if you check the files in the client, they'll actually have a pretty damn good game.  With time after that it could definitely become the best sandbox on the market, or at least the best fantasy based one, EVE's got a pretty good strangle hold so far.

• AbloecAbloec Member CommonPosts: 315

Originally posted by inBOIL

I bought Darkfall 6 months sub and Mortal Online same time pretty much
    and I play Mortal Online Beta and I am not even touching  Darkfall(played 30 hours or so and I found too many flaws)
    Why?
    Because even in Beta MO is just so good game.
    and best thing in their promises is,they have vision,cant care less if they cant provide everything,even in Beta.

That is the basic example of a fanboy.

If you are unwilling to tell SV their faults, then when the game winds up crashing and burning, you'll have nowhere to look but in the mirror. I feel bad that there are so many of your types that are essentially ruining the developer's thoughts to think that what they are doing is actually any good.

People like that make me sick.  I hate when people say that the basic PVP, css knife fights, is better than all other mmos out there.

Incompetent people that kill games are fanboys  Screw em

So thats what your basing your image of MO on, just the PvP you seem to not understand what a Sandbox game is supossed to be, its a game where the player can choose what they want to do that means, Crafting, PvP, PvE, being a Merchant, building a city, etc. Not just PvP.

Damnant quod non intellegunt
  • HerculesSASHerculesSAS Member Posts: 1,272
    Originally posted by tcosaddict

The thing about those "fanboys" is that a lot of the times they DID have the right of it.  If someone expected the game to be feature complete in beta... they're an idiot.  The devs said very clearly what would be in the game.  I mean, they actually told us that only certain systems would be in, and some of them would be very basic.  They made a new announcement that said what the beta would entail right before they opened the shop so everyone knew what to expect.  Even the powerpoint presentation they put out said that a lot of the ideas would not be in at launch but shortly thereafter.  Everything they listed in that announcement is in the game right now, although some things to a lesser extent than we might like (PvE and Magic, namely).

I'll specifically list what they mentioned, for those too lazy to check the announcement:

- The full Myrland continent - In (minus Tindrem - coming I'm sure)

- At least 9 races, male and female - In

- Blood mix and character customization - In

- Main features of the skill system -  In

- Full PvP, full loot - In

- Full melee and ranged combat - In

- Basic magic combat - In (though piss poor)

- Mounts and mounted combat - In

- Basic GUI for the crafting system - In

- Resource gathering - In

- Basic Guild mechanics - In

- Basic player housing - In

- Basic NPC mobs and wildlife - In(Again needs a lot more but it IS in)

- Hidden/secret features - In
    This last patch obviously messed things up as far as server stability, but once that's fixed and Tindrem is added, they'll have included everything they set out to include.  If that's not enough to keep you happy, that's your fault for buying the game.  You knew what to expect, if you were overly optimistic, that's not the devs' fault.  They made it perfectly clear what they were working toward.
    After that if they add all the mobs they've developed, which are quite a few if you check the files in the client, they'll actually have a pretty damn good game.  With time after that it could definitely become the best sandbox on the market, or at least the best fantasy based one, EVE's got a pretty good strangle hold so far.

Beta being feature complete means that if they offer you a game that doesn't have the above features (that's their beta proposal for launch, right), it means they are technically giving you an alpha or pre-alpha build.

Beta means it will be the *exact same game* as launch. That's the whole purpose of beta -- to squash bugs and fix things that are broken. Not to introduce new features patch after patch, completely redesign things on the fly, etc etc. You lose the whole purpose of beta. Open beta is a stress test, generally speaking -- and an optional test by software standards but in an MMO, I'd say a necessity.

When they released their list of stuff for the beta, I expected all of those features to be IN when I got the beta client. That is not an outlandish request -- it's actually a logical one if you even follow games as bad as Darkfall. Basically you're playing the "just created" programming of SV and it's dumped into a 'beta' client. The game is so broken at this point it's ridiculous. Barely 100 people play the game regularly, so getting a proper stress test to uncover all the REAL problems isn't even on the horizon yet. People think that if they log in and "OMG it's running fine, I get 40fps" or whatever, that when the game is actually *live* and has the 1000+ players trying to play, that the experience would be remotely the same.

Again, this is the illusion of a fanboy -- suspension of reality and disbelief in logic all to push the idea that this game is great. I supported the idea of this game for a long time and will continue to, but realizing how many shortcuts they have taken, the process they have gone through, and the way the devs are being literally abused -- makes me realize that this game will have no longevity. There are going to be bugs uncovered at launch that people never dreamed of, and it's basically because of a hasty design and development process.

If I'm wrong, I'll apologize openly. But would you do the same if you're wrong? Doubtful.

Beta being feature complete means that if they offer you a game that doesn't have the above features (that's their beta proposal for launch, right), it means they are technically giving you an alpha or pre-alpha build.

Beta means it will be the *exact same game* as launch.
    The END of beta will be the exact same game as launch.  If the beta started as the exact same game as launch, what would be the point of a beta?  MMORPGs continue to develop after launch.  Name one game that's been out for more than a year that has only the systems and content it launched with.  I'll wager that you can't.

That's the whole purpose of beta -- to squash bugs and fix things that are broken. Not to introduce new features patch after patch, completely redesign things on the fly, etc etc. You lose the whole purpose of beta. Open beta is a stress test, generally speaking -- and an optional test by software standards but in an MMO, I'd say a necessity.
    "That said we are aiming to reach this state (and start the monthly subscriptions) in Q4 2009, when all the core features above should be in place and thoroughly tested." - taken from the same post I listed.  They never said the beta was feature complete, or that those I listed would be in at the start.  They say that by Q4 all the core features listed SHOULD be in place, and low and behold, it's Q4 and they are.  That statement, to me, very clearly paints a picture of what beta would be like.  It made me think that those features would be added over time and tested, which they have been.

Again, this is the illusion of a fanboy -- suspension of reality and disbelief in logic all to push the idea that this game is great. I supported the idea of this game for a long time and will continue to, but realizing how many shortcuts they have taken, the process they have gone through, and the way the devs are being literally abused -- makes me realize that this game will have no longevity. There are going to be bugs uncovered at launch that people never dreamed of, and it's basically because of a hasty design and development process.
    This part is just utterly ridiculous, lol.  I am most definitely not a fanboy.  I haven't even logged into the game for a good while, and when I do it's almost always for under an hour.  Until this last patch the game had no reason to be played, as far as I could tell.  It was just pointless PvP deathmatches, except if and when you died you had to break before going again.  That's not fun in my book.  In this last patch they actually added the skill system/crafting system, which adds some more sandbox elements to the game.  The skill system they added was exactly what I was hoping for because it forces people to choose a game style, they can't be everything.  Even a crafter can't craft everything because he simply doesn't have the capacity to learn every type of crafting, or even half of them. 
    With this skill system and some PvE added, the game is worth playing, and over time it will become great, I'm sure.  I'm most definitely not suspending logic, the only way I think is logically as a matter of fact.  I'm just hopeful, with good reason to be.
    My brother is a true fanboy, who refuses to see the logic in any negativity about the game.  In fact, for a while there, I was kind of a hater, as I could tell that the game wasn't on the right track for release, there were no features other than pointless pvp/housing.  This last patch, however, has added 90% of the content of the game, in a rush for release.  The server crashed to shit, as I expected, but I have managed to be in game for a few hours and explore the new areas/study the skill system, and it gives me hope.  I won't say the game is guaranteed to survive, because realistically it isn't.  There are many flaws, i.e. this terrible magic system that can drive away huge amounts of players.  I'll, at the least, support the game along with most of my friends and a number of fanboys.  Hopefully our subscriptions can keep the game alive long enough for it to fix its issues and evolve into something amazing.
    By the way, calling people fanboys is just a poor attempt to attack their credibility.  All it serves to do is make you look like a "hater" and actually decreases your credibility.  If I had said, "The game is the best out there and will live FOREVAH"  I could see you referring to me as a fanboy, but since I'm a realist, albeit an optimistic one, you've only served to paint yourself as more of a hater. 
    The game has its issues, some of which are major, and it definitely IS NOT the best mmorpg out there, probably not the best in development, either, but it will live to be a great game if it doesn't die out first.  Here's hoping.

If I'm wrong, I'll apologize openly. But would you do the same if you're wrong? Doubtful.
    If and when I'm wrong, I'll always admit it.  That's a sign of maturity.  I think you failed to read the announcement, and got your hopes up based off your own illusions of what the game would be, despite the developers' efforts to keep their fans well informed.  That's a sign of immaturity.

*snip*

To make my point -- they don't have to say beta is feature complete -- this is *implied* by the nature of them saying it's a BETA.

When you say your game is in beta, it means it IS feature complete. Not that you're rapidly coding stuff in the background and adding it in, build after build. That's an alpha, and most systems in the game are actually pre-alpha releases.

The rest of your response is opinion, so I don't want to get started on a back and forth about it -- some people like the game, some don't... not much you can do on that either way. I'll correct this much in so much as the "fanboy" comment, in that you're more an eternal optimist for this game, and I can respect that since I very much wanted this to be the "next UO", but with my opinion on the way combat plays (horrible), that optimism is long lost for the reality that they are going to be shipping out a borked game without a lot of content, nor a lot of depth.

If your optimism proves right, then good for you. Personally I don't share it, but hey, can't agree on everything. I'm just making the comment about beta and what expectations for a beta actually are. Again, if they say "Beta", it means all the features are in. If you're in a "beta test", you should be testing all the features. Plain and simple. There's not a lot of gray area here, but if you believe they get an exception to the definition of "beta" because they are an indy company, well.. then I take back my "fanboy" comment :)

To make my point -- they don't have to say beta is feature complete -- this is *implied* by the nature of them saying it's a BETA.
    When you say your game is in beta, it means it IS feature complete. Not that you're rapidly coding stuff in the background and adding it in, build after build. That's an alpha, and most systems in the game are actually pre-alpha releases.

I'm going to disagree with you (big surprise, right? lol).

A beta does not necessarily imply that all features are in the game.  This is generally the case, but it is definitely not always the case.  Even major games, i.e. Aion, have held beta phases that did not include the entire game.  Aion, for example, held its beta phases over the course of a few weekends and added content each time.

Here's the thing: you can argue the semantics and say they mislabeled this stage of testing.  I'll agree with you actually, this stage does more closely resemble an alpha.  However, they made sure to inform us of what we could expect.  You can say they called it a beta when it wasn't and you'd be right, but it doesn't change that they deliberately told us what we would see during this phase.  They also commented on the forums and IRC about what we could expect.  I know it's not professional to release info via forums and IRC, as opposed to site announcements, but it's also a risk to invest in an untested piece of software.  If you're going to do it, it would be wise to find as much information as you could.  The best way to do that is to read the forums and see what people and the developers are saying.  If you don't take the time to research what you're paying for, then you can't really complain if it's not what you expected, when the information was available to the public.

I'll also add, in response to your view of the combat, that you're right.  The combat isn't particularly innovative, although it does use more skill than say, Darkfall, which doesn't really allow dodging.  In that game you basically click as fast as you can and hope you do more damage/have more HP.  In this game at least you can dodge and block properly.  Regardless of that, the PvP for me was never the main attraction.   The idea of a sandbox game where I could play how I wanted, with or without much PvP, is what got me.  If I can sit in town all day and perfect crafting recipes and build a reputation for myself with my superior wares, or create a detailed, more precise map of the game world through exploration, that's enough to keep me interested until they make magic worth playing.

• iZakaroNiZakaroN Member UncommonPosts: 719

Originally posted by rlmccoy1987

Time to find another game is what it means

I think they can still pull it off eventually (3 - 6 months) but releasing next month is a bad idea IMO.

I have already received a refund from my credit card and will not be returning

Good luck with the next commercial crap you light excellency will play ...

Where themepark games try to hide that they are copying WOW, games like Mortal Online and Darkfall make no attempt to hide their inspiration
    ______\m/_____
    LordOfDarkDesire
  • marmotomarmoto Member CommonPosts: 101

and this a basic example of a troll.... seriously, it is good to hear critics, it helps anything develops much better, but callind someone a fanboy only for expresing an opinion is too much, remember that even if what you say is true you are much of a "troll" (it is ok, you have the righ) as this is a "fanboy"

• Lord_IxiganLord_Ixigan Member Posts: 548

*snip*

Where is that implied? Who said that? When? Where? Who are YOU to make that claim?

By your strict black and white definition of what a beta is then guess what? Most recent mmo's (released in the last year or two) were in beta. In fact, by your strict definition of what a beta is then most MMO's are still IN beta because they are NEVER 'feature' complete. Anyway, I'm getting off track.

There is no industry standard that requires ANY beta to be in any specific shape in order to be called a beta. An alpha is really more just a proof of concept where a beta has real gut work behind it.

The devs very clearly stated what the beta was going to be like in detail BEFORE the store opened. And my memory may be off here, but I very clearly recall you regularly whining about MO since nearly the same time. Weren't you the one on these very forums a few months back complaining that you got banned from the MO forums? I find anything you have to say very suspcious.

I could be wrong and if I am then sorry, but I'm fairly certain I'm not.

SV has been nothing but upfront about what is going on with the game. I don't get where all this hate is coming from nor do I get where any fanboyism is coming from. Personally, I have noticed a rather low amount of fanboy-ism around this game in comparison to the amount around games like Aion or even Darkfall for that matter. The game has been moving along, but there are still way too many questions that remain to be answered and the only way to answer them is with a release really. I don't plan on buying the game at or even all that near release. I'm going to wait a month or two after release and see how things pan out, assuming the game makes it that far. If the devs are really as disgruntled as you guys _claim_ then they may very well just quit if the release is pushed back again and too far. As I have always said with MO - we'll see. I'm not making any judgment calls on a game that is still in beta one way or the other.

Originally posted by marmoto

and this a basic example of a troll.... seriously, it is good to hear critics, it helps anything develops much better, but callind someone a fanboy only for expresing an opinion is too much, remember that even if what you say is true you are much of a "troll" (it is ok, you have the righ) as this is a "fanboy"

troll has good points

The forum mods just closed the thread they dont like bad criticism or wat?

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Beta means it will be the *exact same game* as launch. That's the whole purpose of beta -- to squash bugs and fix things that are broken. Not to introduce new features patch after patch, completely redesign things on the fly, etc etc. You lose the whole purpose of beta. Open beta is a stress test, generally speaking -- and an optional test by software standards but in an MMO, I'd say a necessity.

No it doesn't. My first MMO beta was Lineage (90? 91? not sure). Every single beta I been in have had the features added.

Alpha means internal testing. Beta means external.

The company will test the feature small scale first and then put it on the server. Sometimes they only let you be in a certain place with limited feature to hard test just those. Once all features are in and tested the game goes into open beta.

Open beta is what you are thinking about, it is a stress test of the finished game that is open for a lot of people or everyone. It usually occurs 1 or 2 weeks before launch (unless something really bad about the servers happens).

MO is still far from done, but I doubt you been in any closed betas before, they are usually like this unless you can afford to have a huge group of alpha testers, companies like Blizzard are the only ones that has the resources for things like that.

• ZzuluZzulu Member Posts: 452
    Originally posted by Loke666

Beta means it will be the *exact same game* as launch. That's the whole purpose of beta -- to squash bugs and fix things that are broken. Not to introduce new features patch after patch, completely redesign things on the fly, etc etc. You lose the whole purpose of beta. Open beta is a stress test, generally speaking -- and an optional test by software standards but in an MMO, I'd say a necessity.

No it doesn't. My first MMO beta was Lineage (90? 91? not sure). Every single beta I been in have had the features added.

The company will test the feature small scale first and then put it on the server. Sometimes they only let you be in a certain place with limited feature to hard test just those. Once all features are in and tested the game goes into open beta.

Open beta is what you are thinking about, it is a stress test of the finished game that is open for a lot of people or everyone. It usually occurs 1 or 2 weeks before launch (unless something really bad about the servers happens).

MO is still far from done, but I doubt you been in any closed betas before, they are usually like this unless you can afford to have a huge group of alpha testers, companies like Blizzard are the only ones that has the resources for things like that.

A beta is per definition a "feature complete" version of something. Smaller content like armors and animations and even some props are common to be added afterwards, but not entire areas of the game, entire new mechanics and visuals etc like in MO.

And it's pretty clear the game "Mortal Online" is not even half finished. There's barely any content, and the content that is available was obviously created recently and still is being developed as we speak.

The game is very much still in an Alpha state, or even a conceptual developmental state -  but it's all external  because SV can not afford anything else right now. This is not even something SV is actively disputing, so I don't know why the fans are bothering either.

Throughout all of beta they were still struggling to create and implement the features along the way. Even now they are adding new areas to the game, implementing new AI and struggling to create new UI's and combat mechanics. It is clear they do not want to launch the game like this. It is clear they do so out of necessity, and it is a shame because it will be too early for the game.

As long as they are still actively developing the actual core game from the ground up, they can not with good conscience call the current testing stage a "beta".

Originally posted by Zzulu

Originally posted by Loke666

A beta is per definition a "feature complete" version of something. Smaller content like armors and animations and even some props are common to be added afterwards, but not entire areas of the game, entire new mechanics and visuals etc like in MO.

And it's pretty clear the game "Mortal Online" is not even half finished. There's barely any content, and the content that is available was obviously created recently and still is being developed as we speak.

The game is very much still in an Alpha state, or even a conceptual developmental state -  but it's all external  because SV can not afford anything else right now. This is not even something SV is actively disputing, so I don't know why the fans are bothering either.

Throughout all of beta they were still struggling to create and implement the features along the way. Even now they are adding new areas to the game, implementing new AI and struggling to create new UI's and combat mechanics. It is clear they do not want to launch the game like this. It is clear they do so out of necessity, and it is a shame because it will be too early for the game.

As long as they are still actively developing the actual core game from the ground up, they can not with good conscience call the current testing stage a "beta".

Exactly -- beta doesn't mean you can't add features, it's that when you go into a beta phase, that adding features defeats the purpose. If you have something utterly broken that was working in alpha that broke during beta, then it's a judgment call of the project lead, who has to decide whether the feature is important enough to warrant a redesign (rare) or should be put on the side for a later release.

I can't recall a beta where they changed the AI entirely, or the UI entirely, or added large swaths of land, or added entire new systems into the game. Whether that be WOW, UO, EQ, Aion, or sadly -- even Darkfall.

This persistence to believe that beta is somehow less than feature complete, is exactly the reason that MO is so far behind as it is now -- because fanboys reinforce the developers, anybody who disagrees is flamed out of the threads, and developers get positive reinforcement for what they are doing. Sadly, the devs aren't really to blame here, it's the management of the project. But that kind of starts the whole thread over again :p

• marmotomarmoto Member CommonPosts: 101

troll has good points

"Fanboys" too.... the think is that everyone keeps saying the same thing since DFO beta lol

• just1opinionjust1opinion Member UncommonPosts: 4,641

I didn't read every response in the thread, but...am I the ONLY one who read the title of the discussion post as:

"WoW devs are having a meltdown?"

And then came here because I believed yes....WoW devs ARE having a meltdown. That has GOT to be the reason for what's happening in that game.

Am I the only one? (OMG...I bet I am....and now I've embarrassed myself.)

President of The Marvelously Meowhead Fan Club

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462
    Originally posted by girlgeek

I didn't read every response in the thread, but...am I the ONLY one who read the title of the discussion post as:
    "WoW devs are having a meltdown?"
    And then came here because I believed yes....WoW devs ARE having a meltdown. That has GOT to be the reason for what's happening in that game.

Am I the only one? (OMG...I bet I am....and now I've embarrassed myself.)

Nah, I did it too. It seems like a flame war anyways (but what else is new, right?)

At least we got into a semi-intelligent discussion of what a beta is.

"Fanboys" too.... the think is that everyone keeps saying the same thing since DFO beta lol

And I'm even more convinced this is just another troll thread by the OP.

Again, there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING that says a beta has to be conducted in any manner. Especially a closed beta.

WAR ran their beta in a similar, but different, style. During the WAR CB phases certain features were turned off or on from phase to phase in order to test them. Some features would withheld because they weren't finished and then put in during another phase.

The ULTIMATE, and I mean the end-of-the-world-superweapon-end-all-be-all of facts here is that SV TOLD EVERYBODY UPFRONT what was going on in what order. They didn't open the store then the next day post the powerpoint about what was going on. Instead, they put the powerpoint up days before the store opened as an official announcement on the MAIN PAGE that laid out what was going on and why they were running the pre-orders the way they were. You didn't have to go into the forums to read the announcement, there wasn't some secret passphrase you had to whisper at a specific decible level on a phone line to read it, all you had to do was go to the main page and read what was right at the top.....you didnt even have to scroll down.

You don't get to come in months later and get all pissy about it. Hell, the OP has been getting all pissy about this since day one and I have no idea why, but I do know it's really getting on my nerves. We get it. You don't like MO. Get over it.

You seem to be taking how SV is handling things personally. I really hope the game gets rolling too, but I have zero personal stake in the matter. I had the foresight to see the potential issues with MO and decided it would be better to NOT pre-order just to preferential treatment on beta invites. Which, on that note, you didn't PAY to play beta. You PAID for the game and for pre-purchasing you were given preferential invite to the beta. Which means if the game doesn't release you get your money back because you didn't pay to play a beta, you paid to play a fully released game.

The game may very well release in a state similar to DFO, but the difference here is that it's not going to be concealed by the company. Stop ragging on a company that has been telling their customers and potential customers what is going on in plain terms. We need more up-front companies like this, not more Aventurine schiesters.

Originally posted by Lord_Ixigan

You don't get to come in months later and get all pissy about it. Hell, the OP has been getting all pissy about this since day one and I have no idea why, but I do know it's really getting on my nerves. We get it. You don't like MO. Get over it.

He was originally a huge supporter of the game, was active on the forums and volunteered to build them a new forum.  They decided at the last minute that they didn't want him to do it, and since then he's been upset with them.  He has some good points, but he's clearly biased, and has said that he wants the game to fail.  I don't understand why people who don't like games will start posting about those games.  I mean, Jesus Christ, don't you have something better you can be doing with your time?  Find another game, or a hobby, or something.  Either way, spending your time obsessing over something you dislike is a sure way to make yourself miserable.  It's unhealthy.

• JarnaJarna Member Posts: 75
    Originally posted by Lord_Ixigan

And I'm even more convinced this is just another troll thread by the OP.

Again, there is ABSOLUTELY NOTHING that says a beta has to be conducted in any manner. Especially a closed beta.

WAR ran their beta in a similar, but different, style. During the WAR CB phases certain features were turned off or on from phase to phase in order to test them. Some features would withheld because they weren't finished and then put in during another phase.

The ULTIMATE, and I mean the end-of-the-world-superweapon-end-all-be-all of facts here is that SV TOLD EVERYBODY UPFRONT what was going on in what order. They didn't open the store then the next day post the powerpoint about what was going on. Instead, they put the powerpoint up days before the store opened as an official announcement on the MAIN PAGE that laid out what was going on and why they were running the pre-orders the way they were. You didn't have to go into the forums to read the announcement, there wasn't some secret passphrase you had to whisper at a specific decible level on a phone line to read it, all you had to do was go to the main page and read what was right at the top.....you didnt even have to scroll down.

You seem to be taking how SV is handling things personally. I really hope the game gets rolling too, but I have zero personal stake in the matter. I had the foresight to see the potential issues with MO and decided it would be better to NOT pre-order just to preferential treatment on beta invites. Which, on that note, you didn't PAY to play beta. You PAID for the game and for pre-purchasing you were given preferential invite to the beta. Which means if the game doesn't release you get your money back because you didn't pay to play a beta, you paid to play a fully released game.

The game may very well release in a state similar to DFO, but the difference here is that it's not going to be concealed by the company. Stop ragging on a company that has been telling their customers and potential customers what is going on in plain terms. We need more up-front companies like this, not more Aventurine schiesters.

QFT!

edited for me being a douche