Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Different 'power sources' like Mana?

Hansen88aHansen88a Member UncommonPosts: 7

Hello!

I have only played 3 mmorpg games; WoW, Aion and Age of Conan.

In most games your spells and abilities cost something like mana. In WoW you have great 'power sources', Mana, rage, energy and runes. I think this works great and makes the game play a lot more fun and different.

What do other MMORPG's have for power sources except for Mana and how do they work?

And do you have an idea of a power source that you think would work?

Regards,

Hansen

Comments

• MidareMidare Member Posts: 46

I actually found the number of "power sources" in WoW to be excessive. They had mana, energy, rage, and runes as mentioned... and once DKs were added it was jsut getting to be too much bother for me, really.

I'm happy to leave things with HP, energy and mana. I found the "rage" thing to be stupid, honestly. It makes the warriors out to be berserkers which actually made them really unappealing to me. I could see MAYBE includign rage as a side option, like a skill melee classes could learn, rather like a FF "limit breaker" that once it filled up during combat you could release soem massive attack or not use energy for the next 30 seconds with ally our attack cool downs reset. Something like that would be neat, and those that want to be berserkers could use it optionally.

I just think too many sources for power is distracting and needlessly complicatign matters.

• MattMassacreMattMassacre Member Posts: 182

In Mabinogi there's stamina. It's used for pretty much every skill, except for magic. Instead of taking a chunk of it every time you use a skill, the cost is over time, some use less than others. Mainly melee users have a high stamina due to the high cost of skills compared to range. Once you run out of stamina you can either use a potion, or you're pretty much screwed, since even just normal attacks take stamina. At that point, you're kinda screwed.

• ChrisMatternChrisMattern Member Posts: 1,478

Originally posted by Hansen88a
    Hello!
    I have only played 3 mmorpg games; WoW, Aion and Age of Conan.
    In most games your spells and abilities cost something like mana. In WoW you have great 'power sources', Mana, rage, energy and runes. I think this works great and makes the game play a lot more fun and different.
    What do other MMORPG's have for power sources except for Mana and how do they work?
    And do you have an idea of a power source that you think would work?
    Regards,
    Hansen

In Final Fantasy XI, mana is solely for powering magic (Non-mage classes don't even get any mana points). Your special abilities with weapons (weapon skills) are powered by "tactical points", which is basically a limit break system (although that term is never actually used in FFXI). You gain tactical points when you hit the enemy, and when the enemy hits you. You lose TP when you rest to regain hit points and mana points. When your TP reaches 100, you can use a weapon skill (what weapon skills are available to you will depend on what type of weapon you are using, what your skill level with that weapon type is, and your class. Some high-level weapon skills require you to complete a quest to unlock, and each of the fifteen Relic Weapons has a special weapon skill associated with its final stage 5 form), which will drain all the TP you currently have. You can also keep accumulating TP up to 300--having more TP will generally make the weapon skill more powerful when you use it. Some classes have abilities to enhance TP gaining and use, most notably Samurai, whose class concept is pretty much "weapon skill master".

Ninja skills have to be powered by expending an item made to power that particular skill (the jargon term for these items is "ninja tools"). These are, incidentally, almost all player-crafted.