Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Most MMORPGs aren't even MMORPGs anymore

There are just no more Worlds anymore in MMORPGs.  

Everything is being instanced, how do companies get away with labeling their game as an MMORPG when there is nothing massive about it anymore?

Generally, the only zones that are not instanced are the unimportant zones.  A town might not be instanced, or newbie zones that tend to be barren.  

All of the zones that have loot, etc. are being instanced.  PvP is instanced, and so is PVE.

So why do people continue to call these imposter of games MMORPGS?  No game with instancing is an MMORPG.  There are just no worlds anymore.  So my question is when is the next real MMORPG coming out?  

Comments

• IlvaldyrIlvaldyr Member CommonPosts: 2,142
    Originally posted by Ginkeq

Everything is being instanced, how do companies get away with labeling their game as an MMORPG when there is nothing massive about it anymore?
    Generally, the only zones that are not instanced are the unimportant zones.  A town might not be instanced, or newbie zones that tend to be barren.  
    All of the zones that have loot, etc. are being instanced.  PvP is instanced, and so is PVE.
    So why do people continue to call these imposter of games MMORPGS?  No game with instancing is an MMORPG.  There are just no worlds anymore.  So my question is when is the next real MMORPG coming out?  

Instancing is here to stay; move with the times, or don't .. the choice is yours.

But don't expect anyone (especially MMO developers) to care about a steadily dwindling minority of "old school" forum posters who can barely agree on what day it is, let alone what should define a "true MMO".

The only true MMO is the one that sells well. It's a cruel world.

Playing: EVE, Final Fantasy 13, Uncharted 2, Need for Speed: Shift
  • WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

/agree

I've begun calling many of them Massively Multiplayer Online Action Games, because so much of the RPG element has been stripped from them.

It's seldom about the journey anymore.. it's all about "the phat lewt at end game".

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• GinkeqGinkeq Member Posts: 615
    Originally posted by Ilvaldyr

Instancing is here to stay; move with the times, or don't .. the choice is yours.

But don't expect anyone (especially MMO developers) to care about a steadily dwindling minority of "old school" forum posters who can barely agree on what day it is, let alone what should define a "true MMO".

So you think an MMORPG should be like GuildWars, where every zone is an instance? 

That is stupid

And I will boycott shitty MMORPGs with instancing because they are boring.

So you think an MMORPG should be like GuildWars, where every zone is an instance?

I don't care. Only thing that matters to me is that the game is fun.

<-- See this avatar?

This is my "I don't think your boycott will meet success." avatar.

• GinkeqGinkeq Member Posts: 615

<-- See this avatar?

You know, every time I make a post, you take it personally.  Just because WoW sucks or something, stop defending shitty games.  

Fact is, there is a big market for difficult MMORPGs because anything out there is trivial and most of it is instanced and rehashed garbage that looks like WoW.  Any intelligent company is gonna think outside the box and ditch the retarded instancing. And Blizzards new MMORPG wont have instancing, because they'd only cannabalize their WoW profits. 

And your avatar looks like something from final fantasy, what about it?

Err... What the hell are you going on about?

The OP is posting his own subjective impressions of the genre, which some, myself included, happen to agree with. The idea is to, you know... discuss it if one feels so moved.

Accept it or move on? Gee... such profound advice. Thanks, Dr. Phil.

Don't expect anyone to care....? Who the hell is asking anyone to care? The OP is presenting their opinion on the genre for conversation... I don't see any pleas for anyone, especially MMO developers, to "care".

I have no idea what color lenses you view the world through, but it seems to me that the OP is merely presenting their own views of the genre and asking when a MMO that suits their personal taste might be released. 

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,

<-- See this avatar?

You know, every time I make a post, you take it personally.  Just because WoW sucks or something, stop defending shitty games.  

Fact is, there is a big market for difficult MMORPGs because anything out there is trivial and most of it is instanced and rehashed garbage that looks like WoW.  Any intelligent company is gonna think outside the box and ditch the retarded instancing. And Blizzards new MMORPG wont have instancing, because they'd only cannabalize their WoW profits. 

Actually his avatar is a Jawa from Star Wars...

• ArchemorousArchemorous Member Posts: 197
    Originally posted by WSIMike

The OP is posting his own subjective impressions of the genre, which some, myself included, happen to agree with. The idea is to, you know... discuss it if one feels so moved.

Don't expect anyone to care....? Who the hell is asking anyone to care? The OP is presenting their opinion on the genre for conversation... I don't see any pleas for anyone, especially MMO developers, to "care".

I have no idea what (personal crusade you're on) color lenses you view the world through, but it seems to me that the OP is merely presenting their own views of the genre and asking when a MMO that suits their personal taste might be released. 

I like it how you changed that real fast in your post. The irony was not lost on me, oh no sir.

• Cpt_PicardCpt_Picard Member Posts: 300

They way I'm starting to see games now (like wow) is that most games called mmorpg's have a large interactive lobby, where one waits to play various minigames.

Make it so...

• djazzydjazzy Member Posts: 3,578

You'll probably have to make an MMORPG of your own that satisfies your mmo desires. I don't see anything coming out that looks like an open world where players shape events.

You're not exactly the poster-child for emotional detachment.

I dislike grinding. Reading your posts feels like grinding, because they're pretty much identical. "I don't like WoW, I don't like instancing, I don't like quests. I like EQ." Ok. We get it. So what?

Why do you have to repost the same thing, day in, day out?

Also, failure to recognise a Jawa results in immediate dismissal from the forums.

Originally posted by Archemorous

I have no idea what (personal crusade you're on) color lenses you view the world through, but it seems to me that the OP is merely presenting their own views of the genre and asking when a MMO that suits their personal taste might be released. 

I like it how you changed that real fast in your post. The irony was not lost on me, oh no sir.

Interesting... considering there's nothing ironic in it... but if patting yourself on the back thinking you've "caught me" makes you feel better... hey... have at it. Don't let me get in the way.

I changed it to something I thought would reflect my point better. Sorry to steal your thunder.

No really, I am.

And there's no irony anyway.... so yeah.. good job on that, too, I guess.

I dislike grinding. Reading your posts feels like grinding, because they're pretty much identical. "I don't like WoW, I don't like instancing, I don't like quests. I like EQ." Ok. We get it. So what?

Then don't read them?

Because they're allowed to. The better question is... If they bother you so much, then why do you read them?

Also, failure to recognise a Jawa results in immediate dismissal from the forums.

Hey... I know people who never heard of the Beatles.

• TarkaTarka Member Posts: 1,662

OP, an MMORPG isn't defined by whether or not it allows instancing. It is defined by the fact that there is a persistent gameworld and by what the player does in that gameworld.  The player is playing a particular role, hence the abbreviation. There's a number of different reasons (both from technological and social points of view) why instancing of such things as dungeons is required in todays MMO's. MMORPGs have had instancing to varying degrees for some time now e.g. Eve, WoW, AOC, Anarchy Online, DDO, GW, EQ2 and even SWG (Correlian Corvette), and such games have been classed as MMO's for years without argument. So in actual fact, instancing has been around since the earlier years, nothing has changed.  Granted, there are certain MMO's that have taken it to the extreme compared to others, such as Guild Wars and DDO, but that doesn't for one minute mean that they cannot be classed as MMO's.  Because after all, they still have persistent worlds and the players are still playing particular roles. 

It's only the die-hard traditionalists that are desperate to cling onto what they interpret as the definition of an MMO, such as enforced grouping, little to no soloing, no quests, grinding mobs all day long, all dungeons must have contested content, terrible random loot drop systems, hours spent camping a rare spawn spot, etc, etc.  Some may also scream for the days of camping one boss with a hoard of others, all of their index fingers mashing the fire/hit button in order to tag a mob. Sorry but to many that's about as much fun as a mad dash to the shops on Xmas Eve before they run out of gifts. Its one thing to compete against others within a limited scope such as a group or raid, but its entirely another thing to spend hours competiting against a steady stream of players all trying to get one single item from a boss that drops a multitude of other items.  People just don't have the same amount of time that they used to have when they were playing MMO's in college.  Consequently, people need to feel that their time is well spent.  And many just don't enjoy wasting their time.

Like someone said earlier, in order to get your perfect MMO, you'll have to design one yourself.  Only then you'd probably fully understand why instanced areas are needed and used in MMO's.

I have no idea what color lenses you view the world through, but it seems to me that the OP is merely presenting their own views of the genre and asking when a MMO that suits their personal taste might be released. 

We all have opinions. He stated his, I stated mine. You just stated yours.

He has a right to state his opinion, but (because you agree with his) I don't have a right to state mine in return? .. can the hypocrisy, Oprah.

I stand by my opinion; no-one cares about the vocal minority of old-school MMO "purists".

Then don't read them?
    Can't avoid the buggers. If my replies bother you so much, don't read my replies.

Then don't read them?
    This is a circular logic that will probably never end.

The should be immediately killed and their progeny hunted down to prevent replication and further pollution of the genepool. But in a socially responsible way. I'm sure there's a recycling plan on the table at the UN for unwanted people.

We all have opinions. He stated his, I stated mine. You just stated yours.

He has a right to state his opinion, but (because you agree with his) I don't have a right to state mine in return? .. can the hypocrisy, Oprah.

I stand by my opinion; no-one cares about the vocal minority of old-school MMO "purists".

I wasn't saying you couldn't express your opinion.

That said... I've yet to see you present an actual counter-opinion. All I see is you dismissing the OP's opinion, then bitching about how they post the same things every day... I guess it never occurred to you to not read them?

You top it off by dismissing the OP for *daring* to not know what a Jawa is... Seriously? Someone who's unfamiliar with something from a movie that came out 30+ years ago dismisses them outright from any other topic in your view? Yeah.. That's lucid.

Then don't read them?
    Can't avoid the buggers. If my replies bother you so much, don't read my replies.

LOL. Now *that's* irony.

Sir, you can reply all day long. I really couldn't care less. I'm not the one bitching about "people posting the same thing every day". When I decide I'm bored reading and/or responding to them, I simply cease to do so... no whining involved :).

Then don't read them?

There is no circle. Again, I don't whine about people posting messages that I don't like reading every day. I simply don't read them.

The should be immediately killed and their progeny hunted down to prevent replication and further pollution of the genepool. But in a socially responsible way. I'm sure there's a recycling plan on the table at the UN for unwanted people.

Well that sums it all up then doesn't it? There's nothing I could possibly say about your horribly narrow-minded point-of-view that you couldn't demonstrate far better by simply posting.

So.. I'll just leave you to that.

• Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335

What they are putting out these days are MMOG's not MMORPG's. Half of them even label their games as such.

I think I'll be sticking with the older games. I enjoy my open worlds too much to give them up.

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

I wasn't saying you couldn't express your opinion.

That said... I've yet to see you present an actual counter-opinion. All I see is you dismissing the OP's opinion, then bitching about how they post the same things every day... I guess it never occurred to you to not read them?
    Did it occur to you to not read my reply? .. or is this one of those double-standards?
    My counter-opinion was evident in my first post. I'll reiterate for clarity.
    His faithful cadre; his grumpy little band of malcontents from the dawn of the genre, (of which you, seemingly, are a member) are too small and too unfocused for developers to care about. The genre will move in the direction that the genre moves, and it's pretty clear to everyone that it will move towards instancing, rather than away form it.
    Again, adapt to the changes, or don't. But don't expect the rest of us to care what you do.
    Ginkeq's troll posts do nothing but insult people who do not share his preferences. Don't know where you stand on that issue, but I'm not a big fan of letting insults pass.
    He's welcome to his opinion (as is everyone) but if he presents them in a way that insults mine, then I reserve the right to respond in kind. Creator of the topic sets the tone.
    You top it off by dismissing the OP for *daring* to not know what a Jawa is... Seriously? Someone who's unfamiliar with something from a movie that came out 30+ years ago dismisses them outright from any other topic in your view? Yeah.. That's lucid.
    You took the Jawa thing seriously? .. you need to desensitize.

Then don't read them?

LOL. Now *that's* irony.

Sir, you can reply all day long. I really couldn't care less. I'm not the one bitching about "people posting the same thing every day". When I decide I'm bored reading and/or responding to them, I simply cease to do so... no whining involved :).

Then don't read them?

There is no circle. Again, I don't whine about people posting messages that I don't like reading every day. I simply don't read them.

Well that sums it all up then doesn't it? There's nothing I could possibly say about your horribly narrow-minded point-of-view that you couldn't demonstrate far better by simply posting.

So.. I'll just leave you to that.

You, are waaaaay too literal.

Lighten up, you'll live longer.

But best not read this, 'cos it may perpetuate that circle that you're not a part of.

Srsly. Stop.

• StevieHmselfStevieHmself Member Posts: 134

Devs make Instanced MMO's cus thats what the people want. its called Capitalism. a few companies step up to cater the minoritys (in this case Darkfall sorta games) while the majority cater to the majority. what are you complaining about man?

Playing EVE
    Played Darkfall, Played Wow,

• Nightbringe1Nightbringe1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,335
    Originally posted by StevieHmself

Devs make Instanced MMO's cus thats what the people want. its called Capitalism. a few companies step up to cater the minoritys (in this case Darkfall sorta games) while the majority cater to the majority. what are you complaining about man?

Capitalism is voting with you wallet.

You'll notice most games released in the last 5 years have rapidly lost subscriptions soon after release. In my opionion this is due to the lack of open world, the sense of adventure, and the fact that heavily instanced games fail to develope meaningul communities.

The thing with giving you customers rapid advancement and lots of instant gratification, and isolating them from each other  is, after a month or two they have finished it all and are ready to move on to the next best thing, or return to the tried and true older games.

Any fool can criticize, condemn and complain and most fools do.
    Benjamin Franklin

• FreddyNoNoseFreddyNoNose Member Posts: 1,558

As far as I am aware, you have not been appointed to decide what is or is not an mmorpg.  You don't like what's out there, put your blood sweat and tears into making an mmorpg which you want to see.

• TarkaTarka Member Posts: 1,662
    Originally posted by Nightbringe1

Originally posted by StevieHmself

Capitalism is voting with you wallet.

You'll notice most games released in the last 5 years have rapidly lost subscriptions soon after release. In my opionion this is due to the lack of open world, the sense of adventure, and the fact that heavily instanced games fail to develope meaningul communities.

The thing with giving you customers rapid advancement and lots of instant gratification, and isolating them from each other  is, after a month or two they have finished it all and are ready to move on to the next best thing, or return to the tried and true older games.

I disagree.  Whilst the lack of an open world "seamless" like in WoW (lets face it, WoW may not be "innovative" but it does have a massive seamless world to the most part) probably is on the list of things wrong with many of the later developed MMO's, it is just one point of many. 

In the majority of cases, people often complain about the latest MMO launches because of many things, such as a lack of polish, lack of content for all levels (including end game), lack of captivating features, unbalanced classes, and of course that the games are ridden with bugs and performance issues.  As I mentioned earlier, yes, the lack of a seamless world is on that same list, but If that was the only main priority to MMO players then all of the games would have died out long ago.