Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Want to know what WOW came from?

pencilrickpencilrick Member Posts: 1,550

I am not talking about the Warcraft games, but the one RPG in the 1990's that is so very much like WOW in artstyle, humor, and gameplay.  Not saying WOW dev's drew from it, but the two are so alike in "feel" it is uncanny.

I wonder if any of you remember what it was called?

Comments

• SylvariSylvari Member Posts: 61

Hold on... So WoW DIDN'T come from hell?!?

No I don't know what its called, or at least I can't think of anything...

Waiting for Guild Wars 2, SW:ToR and STO.
    Currently playing Guild Wars, LoTRO).
    Played WoW, GW, CO, DDO, RoM, WAR, LoTRO, Allods (Beta) + Tons more that aren't even worth mentioning!

• ArchemorousArchemorous Member Posts: 197
    Originally posted by pencilrick

I am not talking about the Warcraft games, but the one RPG in the 1990's that is so very much like WOW in artstyle, humor, and gameplay.  Not saying WOW dev's drew from it, but the two are so alike in "feel" it is uncanny.

I thought about your question, but then I saw the quote below your post count and decided 'nah, I'll just step away now.'

• SylvariSylvari Member Posts: 61
    Originally posted by Archemorous

I thought about your question, but then I saw the quote below your post count and decided 'nah, I'll just step away now.'

Lol xD

Waiting for Guild Wars 2, SW:ToR and STO.
    Currently playing Guild Wars, LoTRO).
    Played WoW, GW, CO, DDO, RoM, WAR, LoTRO, Allods (Beta) + Tons more that aren't even worth mentioning!

• pencilrickpencilrick Member Posts: 1,550

No one knows, eh.

• coffeecoffee Member Posts: 2,007

Um.. Monkey Island? oh! oh! Zelda? .. am I warm?

• deniterdeniter Member RarePosts: 1,430

Daggerfall?

• coffeecoffee Member Posts: 2,007

Abandoned Palace? ... Bard's Tale? ... Eye of the beholder?

• pencilrickpencilrick Member Posts: 1,550

DARKSTONE

http://pc.ign.com/objects/010/010549.html

This was a very cool game that came out back in the '90's.  Had the same light-hearted humor, graphical artstyle, questing, merchants, and general feel of early WOW.  At least to me.  I wonder if a WOW dev came from the Darkstone project at some point.

• BarCrowBarCrow Member UncommonPosts: 2,195

I remember that game...I think they made a version for PS2..that cost about $5 when I bought it.. You're right tho...very similar feel to WOW...now that you mention.

• PheacePheace Member Posts: 2,408

I'm pretty sure they called them 'boox', or something similar.

• kalarenkalaren Member Posts: 83

I remember that too. Always thought it was Diablo, but not as good.

• rafaelrehnrafaelrehn Member Posts: 235

How cool I always thought that Blizzard ripped off the book World of Warhammer published before Blizzard’s highly successful MMO (the book was originally published in October 1998). Games workshops" Warhammer" figurines  predate Blizzard’s Warcraft series.

You have to be fairly stupid if you can't realise that Warcraft and Starcraft is just Warhammer and 40k just going by the dates of bloody obvious.

Warcraft 1994

Warhammer 1983

Starcraft 1998

40K 1987

I am talking about the graphical similarities

• ozy1ozy1 Member Posts: 309
    Originally posted by Archemorous

he is sort of correct.

Playing Darkfall EU1 Server

• PheacePheace Member Posts: 2,408
    Originally posted by rafaelrehn

How cool I always thought that Blizzard ripped off the book World of Warhammer published before Blizzard’s highly successful MMO (the book was originally published in October 1998). Games workshops" Warhammer" figurines  predate Blizzard’s Warcraft series.
    You have to be fairly stupid if you can't realise that Warcraft and Starcraft is just Warhammer and 40k just going by the dates of bloody obvious.
    Warcraft 1994

Warhammer 1983
    Starcraft 1998

40K 1987
    I am talking about the graphical similarities

Hence why I referred to books because Warhammer clearly has it's history in literature far predating Warhammer again. It's an endless cycle of ' omg where did it start' :)