Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The cheapness of WoWs PVE instances

Comments

• GinkeqGinkeq Member Posts: 615
    Originally posted by Archemorous

Originally posted by Ginkeq

The rich lore: "Go kill 5 bear" type quests x 5000.  Yeah, WoW has a lot of lore. Why doesn't their lore explain why every PVE zone is instanced too? Cheap game

You cleverly left out quests that have you investigate and foil the plans of a group of dwarves to blow up a dam, a world-trekking quest to restore Link's sword, etc. For every 10 quests where you kill 10 of whatever there are one or two quests where, considering you bother reading them of course, will have you thinking 'wow that was really cool".

Only bad players read quests in WoW.  They don't have any meaning to the endgame of WoW.  That is why they let you skip over the quests instantly.  You don't have to read quests in WoW, just check the option to make quests instant.

Then you can download some add-ons to show you where you have to go.  At that point something on your map/screen will look different and you can figure out what to do without even lookin at the quest.

Yeah real depth there.

So you complain about lack of depth and then say reading quests is for losers. How silly =D

By providing instance-scrolling quests, Blizzard admits that their quests are meaningless and are not connected in any way with the actual game.

People would've enjoyed reading quests, had they had any meaning at all.  If they had a few epic-quests in their game, people wouldn't have complained about the sheer amount of meaningless quests in the game.

• ArchemorousArchemorous Member Posts: 197
    Originally posted by coffee

HEY! Ginaz... I told you to not talk to the troll... now stop poking him with a stick and walk away.

No, do poke him with a stick, cmon coffee, get it angry!

• GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470

Originally posted by Ginaz

Originally posted by Ginaz

Translation:  Grrrrr!   I Hate WoW!  Grrrrr!  You all should too!!!  Grrrr!!!!  You all fail as humna beings if you don't!!!!  Grrrrr!!!!  EZMode Epics!!!!  Grrrr!!!!  Grrrrrr!!!!  Grrrrr!!!  Grrrrr!!!!

Translation: My game is an epic failure and I can't respond to valid points because he's right about everything

GRRRR!!!!!!

HEY! Ginaz... I told you to not talk to the troll... now stop poking him with a stick and walk away.

I wasn't talking to him, just translating for others in case they don't speak E-Thug.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

By providing instance-scrolling quests, Blizzard admits that their quests are meaningless and are not connected in any way with the actual game.

People would've enjoyed reading quests, had they had any meaning at all.  If they had a few epic-quests in their game, people wouldn't have complained about the sheer amount of meaningless quests in the game.

Clearly you never did the level 60 epic hunter quests back in the day. Or the priest one.

• RavenRaven Member UncommonPosts: 2,005

What the OP forgot to mention is the fact that on the video he posted the whole instance is composed of Walls, how is that better? I really dont know, its 20 times bigger yeah just narrow corridors with shit cubes in the middle of the junctions and some gates, I would take an instance 100 times smaller but with alot more detail and "life" to it than that crap.

Clearly you never did the level 60 epic hunter quests back in the day. Or the priest one.

1 quest out of how many? Big deal.

WoW had to provide a lot of meaningless quests that involve running from point A to point B, because the players in that game weren't smart enough to figure out how to level without a quest telling them where to go constantly.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,848

Holy crap what a boring dungeon.

That video you linked is like 99% empty space.

You're going to have to try harder with your next horrible attempt at WoW trolling.

1 quest out of how many? Big deal.

WoW had to provide a lot of meaningless quests that involve running from point A to point B, because the players in that game weren't smart enough to figure out how to level without a quest telling them where to go constantly.

Because grinding mobs all day is so much better. To each his own. I guess some people just enjoy watching paint dry.

You still end up grinding those mobs in wow, but at least you have a semblant of a reason to do so.

Originally posted by rav3n2

What the OP forgot to mention is the fact that on the video he posted the whole instance is composed of Walls, how is that better? I really dont know, its 20 times bigger yeah just narrow corridors with shit cubes in the middle of the junctions and some gates, I would take an instance 100 times smaller but with alot more detail and "life" to it than that crap.

That zone is very old.. from Velious, their 2nd expansion?

The point is that the zones in EQ are massive, and require more exploration.  That zone I posted is a maze, it's not a matter of going from point A to point B.  There are many ways to go the wrong way.  

Zones these days are too linear, and you don't have to explore or figure anything out.  WoW zones may look more "detailed", but you can't interact with that "more detail".  You don't have to interact with the zone to navigate through it.  So all you are saying is WoW graphics are a little more polished, that doesn't change the fact that the zones are basically linear and trivial to navigate.

In EQ, zones were mazes, and you have to trigger events or do things to get from one location to the other.  I can't think of one zone in WoW where it isn't "Follow the path"

The point is that the zones in EQ are massive, and require more exploration.  That zone I posted is a maze, it's not a matter of going from point A to point B.  There are many ways to go the wrong way.  

Zones these days are too linear, and you don't have to explore or figure anything out.  WoW zones may look more "detailed", but you can't interact with that "more detail".  You don't have to interact with the zone to navigate through it.  So all you are saying is WoW graphics are a little more polished, that doesn't change the fact that the zones are basically linear and trivial to navigate.

In EQ, zones were mazes, and you have to trigger events or do things to get from one location to the other.  I can't think of one zone in WoW where it isn't "Follow the path"

Whats the matter? Stratholme and Zul Gurub were too hard for you?

• Token1337GuyToken1337Guy Member Posts: 159

You see, while some people might enjoy the maze aspect, and the feeling of being lost (myself included), most frankly don't.  Most people hate feeling lost, frustrated, and having things get in the way of their progress.  Look at Black Rock Depths in WoW.  It's a non-linear instance, it's big, it's maze like, it's epic... and everyone hates it.  These days, MMORPGs are all about ease of access.  If that means cutting out the few who enjoyed being lost, then so be it.

• LansidLansid Member UncommonPosts: 1,097

Have you tried replacing some of the hate in your life with love?

QFT

www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/userThreads/649462

So much rage...

"There is only one thing of which I am certain, and that's nothing is certain."

Whats the matter? Stratholme and Zul Gurub were too hard for you?

ZG is pretty linear actually.  And both those zones are trivial raids.

I didn't leave WoW because it was too hard, but because it became too easy.  My guild was always up there when it came to doing world firsts, back when it meant something, when they had 40 man Naxx in the game, before they were nerfing all of their instances so that everyone would be capable of doing them.

They just don't provide challenging PVE content in WoW.  

• AxehiltAxehilt Member RarePosts: 10,504

Apparently some people measure content quality by travel time, while others measure it by, well, content quality.

"What is truly revealing is his implication that believing something to be true is the same as it being true. [continue]" -John Oliver

I didn't leave WoW because it was too hard, but because it became too easy.  My guild was always up there when it came to doing world firsts, back when it meant something, when they had 40 man Naxx in the game, before they were nerfing all of their instances so that everyone would be capable of doing them.

At this point, I ask you to define what 'linear' means to you. Linear to me means different ways of going about one objective. Under that, ZG is not very linear. A maze is actually very linear, because in most mazes there is only one way to get out of it. Difference is, you just waste alot of time getting lost.

• coffeecoffee Member Posts: 2,007

Well maybe we can feed him to death.

OP you've cleary not played Ulduar if you think WoW zones (I think by zones you mean dungeons/raids) are A >B, take Kologarn ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSkUlEvZdww ) you have to kill him to progress through the dungeon as his body makes a bridge, you can skip many bosses in ulduar if you wish and you can take most bosses in any order you wish.

Some bosses fight differently depending on wether you have killed some of the other bosses too.  theres a train you have to bored to progress through the dungeon ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLxvnWM4rQc ) They could of just added a long ass corridor with trash (EQ style) but they took the time and effort to do somthing different.

EQ was a maze because of the gfx limitations, when EQ was released 3D was quite a new thing and designers has to employ tricks to reduce the number of ploys on screen and so small room connected via twisting corridors were used.

And to some of your other comments, I would rather take some quests than stand in one place for hours grinding mobs (EQ1 style).

Bottom line you think (your opinion) that EQ is a better game, I disagree now let the thread die.

Originally posted by Axehilt

Apparently some people measure content quality by travel time, while others measure it by, well, content quality.

In EQ zones you interact with things, in WoW zones you may have more polished graphics since these zones are 9 years newer than EQ's.  But that doesn't change the fact you never interact with the zones "content quality", which is basically bosses that are sitting at the entrance of these raid zones waiting to be killed. 

What  kind of quality are WoW zone when you don't clear anything or require effort to get to a boss?  Like half of WoWs instances are just bosses sitting there in empty zones

Well maybe we can feed him to death.

It worked in Se7en...

At this point, I ask you to define what 'linear' means to you. Linear to me means different ways of going about one objective. Under that, ZG is not very linear. A maze is actually very linear, because in most mazes there is only one way to get out of it. Difference is, you just waste alot of time getting lost.

If you go the wrong way in ZG, you're not likely to get into trouble.  You'll most likely find the raid boss if you wander around randomly in ZG.  

ZG isn't a maze though, because you follow a linear path, then there are some branches from that path that lead to bosses.  But from where the bosses are, it's not like you can go anywhere but back to the path from which you've came.  There's generally only one way to get from point A to point B.

In most WoW instances, you walk through hallways to get to bosses.  There is no other way to go, there is only 1 way to get to a given boss.  And there is no interaction with the environment to get there.  You're always following a path.  There aren't any puzzles, or keys, or surprises when you raid a WoW instance.  Things are linear and predictable.  There are no traps, etc.

In EQ zones you interact with things, in WoW zones you may have more polished graphics since these zones are 9 years newer than EQ's.  But that doesn't change the fact you never interact with the zones "content quality", which is basically bosses that are sitting at the entrance of these raid zones waiting to be killed. 

What  kind of quality are WoW zone when you don't clear anything or require effort to get to a boss?  Like half of WoWs instances are just bosses sitting there in empty zones

Give me a specific example. where you have to interact with something other than monsters. And I never fought 'bosses' in wow that stood at the entrance. There is always trash and some kind of mechanic preventing you from getting to them without fighting through something.

If you go the wrong way in ZG, you're not likely to get into trouble.  You'll most likely find the raid boss if you wander around randomly in ZG.  
    ZG isn't a maze though, because you follow a linear path, then there are some branches from that path that lead to bosses.  But from where the bosses are, it's not like you can go anywhere but back to the path from which you've came.  There's generally only one way to get from point A to point B.
    In most WoW instances, you walk through hallways to get to bosses.  There is no other way to go, there is only 1 way to get to a given boss.  And there is no interaction with the environment to get there.  You're always following a path.  There aren't any puzzles, or keys, or surprises when you raid a WoW instance.  Things are linear and predictable.  There are no traps, etc.

Now i know you never went to stratholme. And yes, those rats in the alleys could kill you back in the day, if you werent careful.

Also, no keys on wow's instances? Dont make me laugh troll-boy. If there is something that wow is choking on, is instance keys. Dire Maul anyone? SM? BRD? Should I continue?

• Daffid011Daffid011 Member UncommonPosts: 7,945

I enjoyed the pve content in everquest, but that was when there wasn't any real competition on the market. 

When people bark about how the first real 3d mmo is the best design on the market I chuckle a little bit. 

Ginkeq, if you can't support your viewpoints without resorting to insulting millions of people you have never met, then I think you don't really have a very strong point in the first place.  It doesn't matter what anyone says to you, because you always stoop to the same stupidity of "wow players suck". 

Give me a specific example. where you have to interact with something other than monsters. And I never fought 'bosses' in wow that stood at the entrance. There is always trash and some kind of mechanic preventing you from getting to them without fighting through something.

Onyxia, Archavon, etc.  The other instances have some clearing but it's not much.  

In BWL40, sometimes clearing trash could be harder than the actual bosses.  They've done away with stuff like that it seems.  If there is trash, it's trivial trash that is not difficult.

What happened to trash mobs that were near boss-level difficulty?

As for a specific example: Things like Kelethin.  Elevators that you can click on & trigger.  

Skyshrine had stuff like that, the maze area.  When you step on a certain area it warps you to another point in the zone.  You wouldn't reach the boss if you didn't know your way through the maze.  

Or you have to collect keys to progress through a zone, plane of sky, Ssra Temple.

• HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411

Everyone knows that EQ1's epic content of standing in one spot for x hours killing x mob as it spawns till you level is way more engrossing and adds to the realism of a world over WoW's use of doing x number of quests to reach x level.  Come on...how can you even compare the two.  I mean really. 

Now i know you never went to stratholme. And yes, those rats in the alleys could kill you back in the day, if you werent careful.

Also, no keys on wow's instances? Dont make me laugh troll-boy. If there is something that wow is choking on, is instance keys. Dire Maul anyone? SM? BRD? Should I continue?

Maybe they could kill you back in the day. 

It's funny because all of the instances you named are from 2004-2005.  They've done away with keyed zones, such as BWL, AQ, Naxx, which used to require keys.