Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oh Em Gee, once again it's me!

Hi everyone, I'm starting FFXI , again XD This is about my third time, but before I played the trial, I actually got the game through a friend for X-mas with all the expansions for $11. Anyway, I'm going to start up on Asura, and I'm not sure what to start with. I think I'll make a thief, what's a good secondary for that? Maybe monk?

Anyway, thought I'd put my name out there while waiting for the patch. I think my in-game name is TacticalHound, it seems I had to register a billion account names, so I'm not sure ><

I'm looking forward to it though, and I hope you all had a Merry Christmas! :)

Comments

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

Bad news,the best and really only good sub for thief is Ninja.You need first a level 18 to get ninja and you have to unlock it witch you will need a high level or some friends around level 40.Then after you get ninja you have the long road of leveling it,witch will also require a ton of farming to acquire the Utsusemi scroll,through the quest.The quest if i remember right starts in Norg,witch again for a new player you will need guidance and or sneak oil.Already at level 37 you will need to somehow find some friends to do the BCNM's and pray you attain a Utsusemi:Ni scroll,the problem is the design is kind of retarded,the BCNM's are level 40[Ni scroll],yet you need the scroll at 37...go figure.This was the case before,maybe they have added the scroll to some 30 BCNM's but i doubt it.

I probably left a few things out lol,as you can see playing and enjoying Thief to it's fullest will take a lot of work.Monk can be a fun class even though it is not an elite class it is pretty good,but you will miss alot.The whole game imo was changed when they brought in Sushi for accuracy,i swear they upped the evade of mobs to force players to use Sushi or miss alot.I had massive DEX and accuracy on my Monk and i would still miss alot .IMO their Weapon Skills are meant to have fun with on Em or easier mobs,XP mobs are hard to hit.

My opinion?You should put a lot of thought into your starting class and the subs you will need for it.Some jobs the cost of playing it is very high.

FFXI is an incredibly time consuming game,everyone darts in then realizes they should have done things different after a few months.I suggest you ask a lot of questions and do some homework,otherwise you may regret your decisions.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• HeimlichkeitHeimlichkeit Member Posts: 105

I ended up making a red mage, I heard they're pretty versatile, and sought after. My char's name is Heimlich, so feel free to party me.

It seems I can only create 1 character slot for free. I thought it was more than this, 1 seems pretty silly though.

But, I'm hoping to get 20 by end of weekend, possible?

• merv808merv808 Member UncommonPosts: 511

Because of that fact that you can change jobs multiple characters aren't really needed. I would Try out all of the starting jobs in the newbie area and see how you feel about them. Good luck with that goal of reaching 20 in a weekend, levels are hard to come by in this game. Also, you will have a lot more fun once you realize that the game isn't about getting levels as quickly as possible. Take the time to enjoy it.

Originally posted by merv808

Because of that fact that you can change jobs multiple characters aren't really needed. I would Try out all of the starting jobs in the newbie area and see how you feel about them. Good luck with that goal of reaching 20 in a weekend, levels are hard to come by in this game. Also, you will have a lot more fun once you realize that the game isn't about getting levels as quickly as possible. Take the time to enjoy it.

Fine, I'll shoot for level 25 in that case ;)

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090
    Originally posted by Heimlichkeit

Originally posted by merv808

Fine, I'll shoot for level 25 in that case ;)

Again, its not about trying to get a higher lvl as fast as possible like all the other MMOs. 

Take your time, learn how to use the AH, earn some gil, hunt NMs...do Fields of Valor, lvl several jobs, fish, craft, work on some of the very lengthy and time consuming quests and missions, talk to all the NPCs{tons of lore there}...etc  This is a very slow paced game, and there is a ton to see and do at every lvl, not just rush to the end where most MMOs seem to place most their content!

I'm sure not getting anywhere fast. Only level 11, and gil is going so quickly.

It's certainly an interesting game to get going. I want to see all the expansion content too, I feel like I'll never see it :o

• KhrymsonKhrymson Member UncommonPosts: 3,090

Normally I'd say it'd take you in upwards of 2 full years to see and do it all, but with the Level Sync and quicker means to lvl jobs; it'd still take you at least a year.  There is way more there than it appear at first and the depth of all the events and options later on is incredibly deep.

Don't try to rush it, or you'll end up getting overwhelmed and may ultimately burn yourself out.