Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Designing the Dark Side Video Dissect

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all. I just got the time to sit down after a long day doing Holiday activities. Today BioWare has released a new video that had lots of imformation hidden in plain sight. These being new concepts for armor and light sabers, pvp footage, a look at the UI, higher level displayed and a bit more.

Concept Board

This board was absolutely massive with concept art displaying unseen armor sets for each class. It seems BioWare is taking a lot of time to give us unique armor sets for every class.

Possibly chain guns for the Trooper. Thanks DeaconX

New Sith Inquisitor Concept  Armor

Five new Armor sets for the Sith Inquisitor. The third set resembles that of a Sith Assassin.

New Sith Warrior Concept Armor

Four new sets for the Sith Warrior. Very unique designs that display the Sith Warriors Passion for conflict.

Sith Inquisitor Saber Concept

The top Staff Saber is of new design, the bottom has been seen before in the Sith Warriors Holonet. It seems they have shifted it to the Sith Inquisitor.

Sith Warrior Saber Concept

Two of Four new single handed saber designs. Both having a jagged appearance to reflect the Sith Warriors will.

The last two are pretty unique to me. From the emitter shroud to the hilt the blade is much bolder then others shown with wings of metal flowing down the entire saber.

Character Creation Characteristics

Darth Hater talked about this one for a bit. He mentioned having a playable character with Tattoos. Here is the first look at one of those.

First female SI shown so far. She has a red tattoo on her right eye.

Apparently you can make your Character a massive beef cake.  This is the second screen shot displaying a massive bulky player character.

Jump Confirmed

Title says it all. There has been a few discussion on this here.  BioWare has turned a new leaf it appears.

PvP/UI/Higher Level

This is probably the most exciting find for me. This screen shot shows three 30+ characters fighting on the sands of Tatooine, the character in the Screen Shot is actually Lv 31.  This is also the first time the UI bar has been shown extended.

The only other information I have found in the video was the Sith Warrior does get a saber throw ability like the JK. I'll update the mini holo with that information asap.

Enjoy guys, go here for the full video.

Comments

• DeaconXDeaconX Member UncommonPosts: 3,062

Good work - but those aren't saber designs, they're heavy repeaters.  Most likely for TROOPERS.  It's like a chaingun blaster.  Also jump has been confirmed for a very long time now.

Why do I write, create, fantasize, dream and daydream about other worlds? Because I hate what humanity does with this one.

BOYCOTTING EA / ORIGIN going forward.

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

Great finds! I also enjoyed the vid. It was cool to see one of the first real ingame fights which did not look so staged like this PVP.  Whoa, they have a lot of skills! ^^

The inquisitor sabers look really cool. I hope they don't fall into the trap Warhammer fell. The Mythic guys just made the Destro faction way cooler than Order. Hopefully Jedi can be made just as exciting.

@DeaconX: About your signature. I love that quote. I had a debate with someone, who said all my movie watching, comic reading and gaming (not to speak my spirituality) is "just" escapism, as if that is something really bad to do. And I answered him: is this world so great and good that desiring to be somewhere else is such a crime? When I mostly hate it here, isn't that the best to do, rather than wade in depression or have delusions about just another oh so great political movement bringing wonderland here?

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• greed0104greed0104 Member Posts: 2,134
    Originally posted by DeaconX

Good work - but those aren't saber designs, they're heavy repeaters.  Most likely for TROOPERS.  It's like a chaingun blaster.  Also jump has been confirmed for a very long time now.

Haha, thanks for telling me. Couldn't tell with it being upside down. I also never knew they actually confirmed jump, cool seeing it as video proof though.

• JamionJamion Member UncommonPosts: 59

Looks good, was expecting Darth Hater to jump on the dissection like they usually do, but not this time.  Thanks for staying ahead of them :p Almost sounds like level cap will be 40 or 50.

Do you have this posted on the official TOR forums?

• BaronJuJuBaronJuJu Member UncommonPosts: 1,832

Great dissection Greed, thanks for the info! I did notice that there appeared to be some other designs for sabres on the back wall at about the 45 sec point. Also during their explanation of the PVP I ntoiced one character, I believe the infer its the Sith Warrior looks to have health bar that was going down but a yellow tabbed bar below it that was going up. Aggro/"rage" buildup perhaps? The Sith Inquisitor had the standard looking red health bar with the blue "force" bar , both going down as he fought.

All in all it looked great, it even tempted me to want to try out the Sith Inquisitor which I had pretty much blown off till now.

Thanks again!

"If we don't attack them, they will attack us first. So we'd better retaliate before they have a chance to strike"

• RageaholRageahol Member UncommonPosts: 1,127

for the PvP part  i don't know, The video showed testers jumping around and fighting...could have simply been fighting on an open field designed to test how other players interact with each other lone character models... or it could be your 2v1 open PvP  maybe your are a little  more open then i am.

Originally posted by needalife214

for the PvP part  i don't know, The video showed testers jumping around and fighting...could have simply been fighting on an open field designed to test how other players interact with each other lone character models... or it could be your 2v1 open PvP  maybe your are a little  more open then i am.

4:07 They both attack and same for 4:22. I could be wrong though.

@Jamion

No I have not posted this on the official Boards.

@Baron

The yellow bar is Action Points. While using force choke the SW regens AP. It's in my mini holo and it's this skill

• JamionJamion Member UncommonPosts: 59
    Originally posted by needalife214

Yea it was PvP if you looked at all three screens one was an SI, one an SW, and one a JK.  The two Siths were beating the hell out of the Jedi.

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056
    Originally posted by Elikal 
    I had a debate with someone, who said all my movie watching, comic reading and gaming (not to speak my spirituality) is "just" escapism, as if that is something really bad to do. And I answered him: is this world so great and good that desiring to be somewhere else is such a crime? When I mostly hate it here, isn't that the best to do, rather than wade in depression or have delusions about just another oh so great political movement bringing wonderland here?

Extremely well put.

Virtually everything we do is escapism of one sort or another. We need to escape the truth of our inevitable doom or go mad.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• Vagrant_ZeroVagrant_Zero Member Posts: 1,190

Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

I had a debate with someone, who said all my movie watching, comic reading and gaming (not to speak my spirituality) is "just" escapism, as if that is something really bad to do. And I answered him: is this world so great and good that desiring to be somewhere else is such a crime? When I mostly hate it here, isn't that the best to do, rather than wade in depression or have delusions about just another oh so great political movement bringing wonderland here?

Extremely well put.
    Virtually everything we do is escapism of one sort or another. We need to escape the truth of our inevitable doom or go mad.

Kittens.

Also good job greed....sigh...this game needs to be out yesterday.

• ShavedEwokShavedEwok Member Posts: 1

Hi

Nice dissection, thanks greed0104.

However, some of the things mentioned here have already been confirmed for some time now.

For example, we already knew there would be jumping:

"...You can press Space Bar and jump up and down."

- Rich Vogel, BioWare

Source: Starwarsmmo.net - SW:TOR Interview

...and we also know there will be at least 40 levels:

"So you may have completely forgotten, that when you were level eight, you went and killed this guy that you didn't need to kill, but his family hasn't forgotten it and they're going to find you 20 hours later and hunt you down...and you're going to have to deal with the ramifications...and one of the really fun things there, is you might be a completely different person at that point. You may have decided to give up your crazy ways from when you were a kid...and now at level 40, you're like you're a pretty good guy and these people come to you..."

- Daniel Erickson, BioWare

Source: G4tv - GamesCom 2009 Daniel Erickson Interview (02:45)

Anyway, hope it was of some interest/help and thanks once more for a nice dissection.

Also, Happy Holidays to all.

Cheers

SE

Yup so I have been told. I think visual proof was worth adding "confirmation".

• TeiraaTeiraa Member UncommonPosts: 447

A few more details you can see in the interface:

In the lower bar you see two portraits. The left one is your own character, the right one is the targeted character.

The portrait at the left side belongs to the other character(s) in your group.

At around 4:05, the own character is a lvl 31 Sith Warrior named Rawrrrrr, targeted is a lvl 30 Jedi Consular named Maoii (?), and the player is grouped with a lvl 30 Sith Inquisitor named Mahlyoe (?).

At around 4:15 you see the screen of another player, the own character is then Mahlyoe, grouped with Rawrrrr, and targeted is Maoii.

Also interesting to see the Force Choke at 4:02 and the power drain ability at around 4:22.

Furthermore you can see some buff/debuff icons above the health bars.

:)

• BaronJuJuBaronJuJu Member UncommonPosts: 1,832
    Originally posted by greed0104

@Baron
    The yellow bar is Action Points. While using force choke the SW regens AP. It's in my mini holo and it's this skill 

Ah thanks, i missed that!

"If we don't attack them, they will attack us first. So we'd better retaliate before they have a chance to strike"

• catlanacatlana Member Posts: 1,677
    Originally posted by Vagrant_Zero

Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

Extremely well put.

Kittens.

Also good job greed....sigh...this game needs to be out yesterday.

Lol, I want this game pretty badly myself, but I really, really want Bioware to make sure and polish the game as well.

To the OP: Thanks for the links.

Originally posted by Teiraa

A few more details you can see in the interface:
    In the lower bar you see two portraits. The left one is your own character, the right one is the targeted character.
    The portrait at the left side belongs to the other character(s) in your group.

At around 4:05, the own character is a lvl 31 Sith Warrior named Rawrrrrr, targeted is a lvl 30 Jedi Consular named Maoii (?), and the player is grouped with a lvl 30 Sith Inquisitor named Mahlyoe (?).
    At around 4:15 you see the screen of another player, the own character is then Mahlyoe, grouped with Rawrrrr, and targeted is Maoii.
    Also interesting to see the Force Choke at 4:02 and the power drain ability at around 4:22.
    Furthermore you can see some buff/debuff icons above the health bars.
    :)

Yes, seeing the group interface was new, thanks for pointing it out. I was a bit limited on time that day so I highlighted the things mostly discussed here.Darth Hater will have his up sometime this or next week, it will probably go into far more depth then I did.

The 4:22 ability is called Lightning Drain, you can find a list of abilities in the mini holo listed above.

• nratnamnratnam Member UncommonPosts: 186

You missed a light saber picture. It's the inquisitor one with force lightning going through it.

Originally posted by nratnam

You missed a light saber picture. It's the inquisitor one with force lightning going through it.

That's an old design that has been known for quite some time, so it was cut out to make room for the new.

• altairzqaltairzq Member Posts: 3,811

You guys are nuts about graphics.