Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What kind of world?

ViewDooViewDoo Member Posts: 268

Is the FFXIV world going to be open and exploreable, very linear, heavy instanced, somewhere in between? Anyone have any info on it yet?

Comments

• zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969

from whats known (which isnt much) its going to be for the most part open world. Large zones that consist of many areas/regions that have no load times (comparing to FFXI, basicly like having no zone lines throughout an entire region) 

also they are supposed to have some instansted stuff like quests and likely endgame. Not a whole lot to say beyond the basics.

• ViewDooViewDoo Member Posts: 268
    Originally posted by zanfire

from whats known (which isnt much) its going to be for the most part open world. Large zones that consist of many areas/regions that have no load times (comparing to FFXI, basicly like having no zone lines throughout an entire region) 
    also they are supposed to have some instansted stuff like quests and likely endgame. Not a whole lot to say beyond the basics.

Hope it's like this. I don't mind instancing, It can be done very well. But give me SOME world to go exploring in.

Signed up for the beta, game has kinda cought my attention. I havent played a FF game in a loooong time.

• zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969
    Originally posted by ViewDoo

Hope it's like this. I don't mind instancing, It can be done very well. But give me SOME world to go exploring in.

Signed up for the beta, game has kinda cought my attention. I havent played a FF game in a loooong time.

if its anything like FFXI (wich that game world is HUGE, though zoned) youl have plenty to see.  One of the best things about FFXI was exploring all the areas, though getting places (moreso at first) was time consuming, and they said it would be just about as big as that, but with less zoning and such.

Just be warned if you get in the early parts of beta, dont expect to be able to go anywere, early on they might just test certain quests or areas or game mechanics, if you want more of a trial id say wait til open beta.

• ViewDooViewDoo Member Posts: 268

if its anything like FFXI (wich that game world is HUGE, though zoned) youl have plenty to see.  One of the best things about FFXI was exploring all the areas, though getting places (moreso at first) was time consuming, and they said it would be just about as big as that, but with less zoning and such.

Just be warned if you get in the early parts of beta, dont expect to be able to go anywere, early on they might just test certain quests or areas or game mechanics, if you want more of a trial id say wait til open beta.

Oh, I know that. Been in more than a few betas, and i never view them as a "trial experience". I do betas to find bugs for the devs of games that sound interesting, thats what they get, and in return I get to look around and learn the ropes (UI, feel of the combat, ect). I dont go in thinking its a finished product at CBeta, or that it wont change by launch time.

Thanks for the reply Zanfire. Was just curious about the game world and if it encouraged an explorer type of gamer, which I tend to be. I hadn't come across anything describing it one way or the other.

• HyanmenHyanmen Member UncommonPosts: 5,357

Not as exploreable as some other games are. Zoning only happens in between regions (and they are huge), so it doesn't break the immersion much. The zones have been made compact though, so you cant just run to any direction for 20 minutes and not come to an end. Think of it as a massive version of the zones used in single player JRPG's. 

But I don't think it's heavily instanced, only on certain parts of the map and might consist of only battlefields and dungeons getting there (XI had "instances" only as battlefields and later on some events, but the dungeons to get to the battlefields were always open for everyone. Didn't really make any difference).

It should be exploreable with many surprises though. The world design team puts so much effort on small details like grasshoppers or owls in the background that it's amazing. You might even see a wyrm flying over a lake if you're lucky. 

Using LOL is like saying "my argument sucks but I still want to disagree".
  • ic0n67ic0n67 Member Posts: 776

I think this is part of the reason I can't seem to get into DDO (which I'd like to play since it is free) and guild wars. The world is all instance based and there is little to no reason to party (at least that I have ever found). In FFXI it was great to have everyone in the same zone (less the auction houses in Lower Jeuno or Whitegate).

I mean you are walking through the highlands and you see a buddy of yours killing sheep.

You are like "Yo" (I'm from Philly alright ... we say yo)

Then they are like "Hey there"

Then you are like "Whatcha upta?" (seriously it is how we talk)

Then they are like "Just farming some sheep skins"

Then you are like "coo 'got some time nea'and"

Then they are like "What the fuck you just say?"

Then you are like "ah sry neta stop typin Philly ... Translation: Cool I have some time before I need to be where I am going would you like a hand with your endeavors this evening?"

Then they are like "Yeah sure the more the merrier"

Then BOOM bonding ... increased friendship ... increased karma ... increased wallet since you are pocking the crap they don't need 

You just don't get that in an instanced based game.

• lockdown143lockdown143 Member Posts: 2

the more open the better... games where each zone is distinct, and small, it gives no sense of "world" to the player. Just isolated instances. Too bad a world like Asheron's Call is rarely seen in modern MMO's

• DawsnDawsn Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by ic0n67

I think this is part of the reason I can't seem to get into DDO (which I'd like to play since it is free) and guild wars. The world is all instance based and there is little to no reason to party (at least that I have ever found). In FFXI it was great to have everyone in the same zone (less the auction houses in Lower Jeuno or Whitegate).

I mean you are walking through the highlands and you see a buddy of yours killing sheep.

You are like "Yo" (I'm from Philly alright ... we say yo)

Then they are like "Hey there"

Then you are like "Whatcha upta?" (seriously it is how we talk)

Then they are like "Just farming some sheep skins"

Then you are like "coo 'got some time nea'and"

Then they are like "What the fuck you just say?"

Then you are like "ah sry neta stop typin Philly ... Translation: Cool I have some time before I need to be where I am going would you like a hand with your endeavors this evening?"

Then they are like "Yeah sure the more the merrier"

Then BOOM bonding ... increased friendship ... increased karma ... increased wallet since you are pocking the crap they don't need 

You just don't get that in an instanced based game.

Yah mean.