Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Metaplace: Shutting Down January 1st

2»

Comments

• BaronJuJuBaronJuJu Member UncommonPosts: 1,832

It appears folks here weren't the only ones angry by the news:

ASCII

"Oh, sure, we have gigabytes of record of Koster bloviating about player rights and the meaning of games and what it’s all about in the process of building community around a virtual world, but here we have the real story: make no preparations for the end, assume all the stuff made with you is yours yours yours, and make it difficult for people to go elsewhere. Guess what, kids – it’s 2009. The days when it was this amazing crazy-ass thing that a server on a computer out there on the Internet could hold data for you and still be there when your browsed back… well, that was probably 13 years ago and counting. It’s not amazing anymore. It’s not something that lets you get away with acting like you just strapped together 400 milk jugs and put a wooden door down and miraculously floated down the fucking river. It’s basic shit. And along with something becoming basic shit is the idea of an open platform, of letting your company’s skills and interaction with customers define why they should keep their data, and not locking them up behind what they call a “walled garden” but which fails to make clear your users did all the gardening. Excuse time is over. It shouldn’t be the way it is now.

But it is. So Metaplace will die, as they all die, with a pathetic message blown out like it was all a big fun old time, and with a few mumbled incoherencies about being able to “manually save” some jigsaw pieces of your work, and a few articles and then a long black space where it used to be. A few people will mention it in the same breath as other failed virtual spaces, a punchline, an insider or industry reference, a few years down the line. Koster walks the Earth free. Baribeau becomes “community manager” of another unsuspecting chicken coop of suckers, unaware the flamethrower might be turned on at any moment.

I am saying, basically, that this is bullshit. It has to stop.

Raph announced this closure letting people know that even though he was shitcanning metaplace, there were still “exciting plans” afoot. To this I say no, you shitheel, you don’t get to have “exciting plans”. You get to desperately scramble to come up with some solid reasons why metaplace imploded, and why anybody should trust you with a fucking three-byte string anytime in the next few years. You get to grovel, and explain why there was no warning, and why the best lifeboat you can muster up for the people who trusted you with their creation and data is a Do-It-Yoo-Seff(tm) notepad-and-right-click combo, repeated endlessly, throughout Christmas.

Otherwise, O wise god of gaming theory, you are a fuck.

Metaplace has set up a new website/forum called metaplaceveterans.com which acts like it’s a hang-out spot for people who used Metaplace and want to connect. In point of fact, it’s an IQ test: if someone burns down your rented apartment, and then pulls an RV up outside your smoldering wreck, exactly how much of a gullible retard are you to happily get into that RV with what you have left? At best, it functions as an instant mailing/contact list entitled “People we can do whatever the fuck we want to and they’ll take it like little giggly bitches”. At worst, it just shows the level of ignorance implied in destroying metaplace so quickly, so viciously, and then smiling at the end like our awesome kegger got broken up by the cops.

How many more times? How many more?"

Wow.

I have to say though, I can agree with this.

"If we don't attack them, they will attack us first. So we'd better retaliate before they have a chance to strike"

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216
    Originally posted by BaronJuJu

It appears folks here weren't the only ones angry by the news:
    ASCII
    "Oh, sure, we have gigabytes of record of Koster bloviating about player rights and the meaning of games and what it’s all about in the process of building community around a virtual world, but here we have the real story: make no preparations for the end, assume all the stuff made with you is yours yours yours, and make it difficult for people to go elsewhere. Guess what, kids – it’s 2009. The days when it was this amazing crazy-ass thing that a server on a computer out there on the Internet could hold data for you and still be there when your browsed back… well, that was probably 13 years ago and counting. It’s not amazing anymore. It’s not something that lets you get away with acting like you just strapped together 400 milk jugs and put a wooden door down and miraculously floated down the fucking river. It’s basic shit. And along with something becoming basic shit is the idea of an open platform, of letting your company’s skills and interaction with customers define why they should keep their data, and not locking them up behind what they call a “walled garden” but which fails to make clear your users did all the gardening. Excuse time is over. It shouldn’t be the way it is now.
    But it is. So Metaplace will die, as they all die, with a pathetic message blown out like it was all a big fun old time, and with a few mumbled incoherencies about being able to “manually save” some jigsaw pieces of your work, and a few articles and then a long black space where it used to be. A few people will mention it in the same breath as other failed virtual spaces, a punchline, an insider or industry reference, a few years down the line. Koster walks the Earth free. Baribeau becomes “community manager” of another unsuspecting chicken coop of suckers, unaware the flamethrower might be turned on at any moment.
    I am saying, basically, that this is bullshit. It has to stop.
    Raph announced this closure letting people know that even though he was shitcanning metaplace, there were still “exciting plans” afoot. To this I say no, you shitheel, you don’t get to have “exciting plans”. You get to desperately scramble to come up with some solid reasons why metaplace imploded, and why anybody should trust you with a fucking three-byte string anytime in the next few years. You get to grovel, and explain why there was no warning, and why the best lifeboat you can muster up for the people who trusted you with their creation and data is a Do-It-Yoo-Seff(tm) notepad-and-right-click combo, repeated endlessly, throughout Christmas.
    Otherwise, O wise god of gaming theory, you are a fuck.
    Metaplace has set up a new website/forum called metaplaceveterans.com which acts like it’s a hang-out spot for people who used Metaplace and want to connect. In point of fact, it’s an IQ test: if someone burns down your rented apartment, and then pulls an RV up outside your smoldering wreck, exactly how much of a gullible retard are you to happily get into that RV with what you have left? At best, it functions as an instant mailing/contact list entitled “People we can do whatever the fuck we want to and they’ll take it like little giggly bitches”. At worst, it just shows the level of ignorance implied in destroying metaplace so quickly, so viciously, and then smiling at the end like our awesome kegger got broken up by the cops.
    How many more times? How many more?"

Wow.
    I have to say though, I can agree with this.

lol hard to believe someone is (this) upset over metaplace closing. When i did try it, the place  was empty. Seems like some people have a hard time accepting that metaplace was a failure, if you're losing money and cant keep servers up, you gotta close it and let the couple dozen people who play the game find a new home. Don't think i've seen a post like this about a game since the time when the NGE was released.

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

Originally posted by tvalentine

lol hard to believe someone is (this) upset over metaplace closing. When i did try it, the place  was empty. Seems like some people have a hard time accepting that metaplace was a failure, if you're losing money and cant keep servers up, you gotta close it and let the couple dozen people who play the game find a new home. Don't think i've seen a post like this about a game since the time when the NGE was released.

I don't see this as him being upset about the gaming closing per say, but more of the way Raph handled the situation and the aftermath. As the author stated, for all of the talk of "gamers rights" and community building Raph basically did everything he spoke against. A less than 10 day notice on a community being shutdown with what appears to be loose instructions on how to save any things the uploaded for the community to lose. In the middle of this announcing "exciting plans" for the future.

What if this was Richard Garriot or Brad McQuaid announcing this closure with the future "exciting plans"? Would people be as forgiving or excited about sinking money into their future ventures? From the looks from comments from Tabula Rasa and the closure of Sigil Games Online, I think not.

"If we don't attack them, they will attack us first. So we'd better retaliate before they have a chance to strike"

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

Originally posted by tvalentine

I don't see this as him being upset about the gaming closing per say, but more of the way Raph handled the situation and the aftermath. As the author stated, for all of the talk of "gamers rights" and community building Raph basically did everything he spoke against. A less than 10 day notice on a community being shutdown with what appears to be loose instructions on how to save any things the uploaded for the community to lose. In the middle of this announcing "exciting plans" for the future.

What if this was Richard Garriot or Brad McQuaid announcing this closure with the future "exciting plans"? Would people be as forgiving or excited about sinking money into their future ventures? From the looks from comments from Tabula Rasa and the closure of Sigil Games Online, I think not.

yeah i thought i was missing something else in that post you pasted, i can understand it better now that you mentioned the 10 day notice and the loose instructions to save the communities data (which i didn't know about). About your second paragraph though, i wouldn't change what i've said, unlike others i don't hold a hatred for those 2 people like some of the drama queens on this site and else where. Hell you've seen some of the posts in this thread about Raph, even though it is him people still post their rants and harsh opinions about him.

Playing: EVE Online
    Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
    Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
    KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630

I guess he can use his experience with this failed game and write another book about fun.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• AutemOxAutemOx Member Posts: 1,704

As the author stated, for all of the talk of "gamers rights" and community building Raph basically did everything he spoke against. A less than 10 day notice on a community being shutdown with what appears to be loose instructions on how to save any things the uploaded for the community to lose. In the middle of this announcing "exciting plans" for the future.

I thought this was pretty ironic too, but at least they are offering a guide on how to save your works, etc.  No one can expect a company to continue losing money just to keep a server up a little longer, would you expect him to go into bankrupcy?  That is basically what is happening already- it is not like Raph is screwing over the community to make a profit, which is what he advocates against when declaring gamers rights, but the whole project has tanked and everyone is suffering, no one is being taken advantage of.

I am a huge Raph fanboy.  In my mind, he will eventually go back to create another mmorpg ala SWG, and I am sure he has received offers, but he has not been given both a high budget and free reign that he wants.  The big companies would have to be willing to take a risk, take a serious step away from the typical mmorpg mold, and none of them are willing to do that right now.  But someday I believe they will and I hope Raph is involved because I have faith in his vision despite what has happened to metaplace.

Play as your fav retro characters: cnd-online.net. My site: www.lysle.net. Blog: creatingaworld.blogspot.com.

• ebonfireebonfire Member UncommonPosts: 160

I first heard about Metaplace during its stress test on Myspace at the beginning of 2008, and I quickly applied for beta when they opened applications.  The platform was said to be ’an MMO out of the box,’ but didn’t have to be a ’game’ per say.  What you want to do with your world is only limited by your imagination.  You could have a virtual apartment with different rooms, media feeds on the walls, and then you could link to a friends space making a big chain of v.world in a flash widget that would sit on your personal page.

I stopped flowing it a few months ago when the 3d engine never materialized, and the tools for world design seemed to be going nowhere.  It had some cool things going for it, but it seriously felt like I was entering a world made for my N64 after a while... kinda dated and lacking.

Maybe 4 or 5 years ago this would have been attractive, but now it seems that everyone prefers active feeds over static personal pages.  I kind of thought that the idea might have been a revolutionary thing at the time, but now I'm putting my money on Opensim.

Originally posted by wormywyrm  
    I am a huge Raph fanboy.  In my mind, he will eventually go back to create another mmorpg ala SWG, and I am sure he has received offers, but he has not been given both a high budget and free reign that he wants.  The big companies would have to be willing to take a risk, take a serious step away from the typical mmorpg mold, and none of them are willing to do that right now.  But someday I believe they will and I hope Raph is involved because I have faith in his vision despite what has happened to metaplace.

Wasn't given free reign? It was his freakin' company, how much more free reign can you get? He is already announced starting work on a new project while announcing Metaplace's death, so there has to be funding from some source. I just find it ironic that people give him a break so often when other dev's are crucified. Again, if this was Garriot announcing Tabula Rasa's closure but throws int he middle, "but we are working on a new title" do you think folks would be lining up to play? I would say probably not and want him to concentrate on fixing and making the current launched game work. 

As far as SWG goes, I don't consider SWG to be any kind of success, heck I don't think he does either. It was bug ridden and incomplete at launch and by his own words wasn't involved that much after launch. There were elements that were fun but overall the gaming community pretty much gave it a thumbs down and were leaving before the first year was over.

I hope Raph can make this dream of his come to life, but pardon me if I and others are a bit skeptical.  His recent track record so far has proven otherwise.