Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Non-Troll Trial Account Review!

Rexxss98Rexxss98 Member Posts: 6

Hey Guys!  I just finished my free trial account of Fallen Earth and I have to say that I had a pretty good time testing this puppy out.  I was invited to beta a few months ago and this game has come a long way.  The client is very stable and contrary to what many people say the graphics aren't too bad. 

Crafting in this game is top notch!  There are lots of options to choose from and the best gear in the game comes from crafting.  Mats are plentiful and always available at a fair price from the vendor if you don't feel like farming, similar to Guild Wars. 

Quests are ok!  Nothing new in this department.  Many are your typical kill X, deliver this, and collect X amount of that.  But hey what do you expect its a MMO.  I attempted all of my travels on my own with no group questing at all.  It seems that this game is geared towards the solo player.

Player customization is fantastic!  With a classless based system options are thru the roof when it comes to how you spec your character.  Everything from ranged snipers to hardcore crafter.

Combat...=( !  Personally I think this is what needs to be fixed.  The combat seems clunky and awkward.  Enemy NPC's basically act like glitched out retards.  My character was a ranged weapon user and I basically did more damage just standing there and letting the baddies pound on me rather than moving around and shooting like a person would in a FPS.  The AI really needs some improvement.

Being a MMO that is backed by a independent company with limited funding, its really not that bad.  If you can get passed the awkward combat system and love to play solo, this may be the game for you. I  for some reason  just don't see myself paying monthly for this game.  Anyway, check it out for yourself and download the free trial while it lasts!  See you dudes later! 

Comments

• arnaki3000arnaki3000 Member UncommonPosts: 66

i am downloading client atm, cant wait to check it out myself

seems good tho ;)

• MichielMichiel Member UncommonPosts: 235

Why do people who barely played the game in question always have the obsessive need to review it?

• doragon86doragon86 Member UncommonPosts: 589

Oh, there's a trial, had no clue. I'm gonna give it a go then.

"For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
    And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed:
    And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
    And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still!"
    ~Lord George Gordon Byron

• Vagrant_ZeroVagrant_Zero Member Posts: 1,190

Originally posted by Michiel
    Why do people who barely played the game in question always have the obsessive need to review it?

To annoy you. So you can create a self-aggrandizing post. And I can disparage said post.

It's deep Circle of Life stuff.

• To clear up a little bit about the AI; which has been mentioned in other threads and on main forums, in sector one the AI is very low end because they consider it more of a newbie zone ... When you get to Sectors 2 and 3 the AI gets considerably better, they will team up, hold back to snipe at you, use mutations and other special abilities etc......

But all an all a very good review of the game OP... Hope in the future you might try it again and it sticks on you like it does to alot of us, haha...

• Rexxss98Rexxss98 Member Posts: 6

Sup dudes! I hope you guys are having a good X-mas!

Well I just wanted to add a little to my OP about the Combat system.  Well besides the AI, the combat system I think needs a little work.  Your right I'm low level and if the AI in S-2 and S-3 improve dramatically from the retards in S-1, then "Cheers"! 

But so far combat seems a little unresponsive when it comes to casting your spells in combat mode.  The cast bar is great but sometimes I ask myself "dam did I cast or do any damage with that spell I just used".  What combat needs at the moment is either a better visual representation or louder sound that informs the player that the instant cast spells are doing what their suppose to be. 

I mean please respond I would like to know if this is bothering anyone else or am I in the minority here.  Anyway, that's all for know folks see you ladies later!  

• comerbcomerb Member UncommonPosts: 944
    Originally posted by thfshstck

To clear up a little bit about the AI; which has been mentioned in other threads and on main forums, in sector one the AI is very low end because they consider it more of a newbie zone ... When you get to Sectors 2 and 3 the AI gets considerably better, they will team up, hold back to snipe at you, use mutations and other special abilities etc......
    But all an all a very good review of the game OP... Hope in the future you might try it again and it sticks on you like it does to alot of us, haha...

Heh, lets be honest... sector 2 & 3 AI is just as retarded.  The only difference is the mobs are mostly ranged, and so they occasionally(and predictably) sidestep or go prone.  The AI doesn't use skills/mutations based upon situations either, it just uses them randomly.

Linking mobs together isn't an improvement in AI... its just a bandaid method of overwhelming a person to make the game more difficult.  It's not like they coordinate attacks or flank you or anything.  

• Rev52Rev52 Member Posts: 14

Played this game for 3 hours and I wish I could get it back. If a game cannot grab you in 3 hours and make you at least wanna see what it becomes it fails. The most polished and fun part of any MMO needs to be the beginning stages. Most games that come out do this. This game from the tutorial has a "modded" feel to it. Sub par mod at that. I seen free mods with better textures and skins. Lets look past the graphics which to say is dated would be a compliment. The combat system is laughable at best. The Iphone has better free app FPS's which can be played against other players. I know I know its a RPG whatever, this game from the get go is bad. From the looks of it and the stories ive read it only gets worse. I found like 10 youtube videos of gameplay footage where ppl said it likes so badass so I watch them and I agree, if this where 1994 it would have been badass. 

Every single mob had pathing issues. ALL OF THEM not here and there but every single one. I do not think I even got hit once other then the first time I tried melee attack out of boredom. Did you guys see the jumping animation. ROFL I guess the cloning process made everyone bull-legged. The only reason I could see anyone defending this game is that right now there is nothing there to play really. You can get handed loot in WOW or grind till you die of old age in Aion. SO you try this out and well in this day and age it prolly looks good because of what we have to pick from. Giving this game a 5 for effort. Maybe one day it could be good with a new engine, new combat system, new chat system ah hell just start over...

• LodenDSGLodenDSG Member Posts: 266
    Originally posted by Rev52

Played this game for 3 hours and I wish I could get it back. If a game cannot grab you in 3 hours and make you at least wanna see what it becomes it fails. The most polished and fun part of any MMO needs to be the beginning stages. Most games that come out do this. This game from the tutorial has a "modded" feel to it. Sub par mod at that. I seen free mods with better textures and skins. Lets look past the graphics which to say is dated would be a compliment. The combat system is laughable at best. The Iphone has better free app FPS's which can be played against other players. I know I know its a RPG whatever, this game from the get go is bad. From the looks of it and the stories ive read it only gets worse. I found like 10 youtube videos of gameplay footage where ppl said it likes so badass so I watch them and I agree, if this where 1994 it would have been badass. 

Every single mob had pathing issues. ALL OF THEM not here and there but every single one. I do not think I even got hit once other then the first time I tried melee attack out of boredom. Did you guys see the jumping animation. ROFL I guess the cloning process made everyone bull-legged. The only reason I could see anyone defending this game is that right now there is nothing there to play really. You can get handed loot in WOW or grind till you die of old age in Aion. SO you try this out and well in this day and age it prolly looks good because of what we have to pick from. Giving this game a 5 for effort. Maybe one day it could be good with a new engine, new combat system, new chat system ah hell just start over...

I agree but hink you where a bit harsh, the game does lack any wow factor (and i mean wow! not World of Warcraft) but it is functional on all areas from the bit I have played and mildly fun which as you pointed out is a metric sh17 ton better than most of the other crap out there, the games we have to choose from atm that are woth the time of day older than dirt (in gamer years) and prity well every game since WoW (which was good for a couple of years of play but whoes time has passed for me) has been junk with maybe the exseption of Aion which is a good game if you like the grind (which I like ok)  but for the rest of us there is really nothing to play other than revisiting our old frinds (EQ, EQ2, DAoC, etc.) only to find that some @55 hat has slowly added WoW like features (as in world of warcraft features) to core game areas such that; I any way, feel like I am playing a porly modded version of WoW on a boot leg private server (Im looking at you DAoC {feel free to disagree}) that or the support/population has droped so low that even though the game is gold its basicly a standalone RPG.

So all in all I would say; considering the current enviroment that Fallen Earth is a good {enough} game that should you find your self wanting in teh MMO department; that you should give it a try.

What I did like about it,

1) the concept over all was fairly refreshing i.e. the world and story not that it hasn't been done but it hasn't been overdone eather.

2) the combat, yes its basic, but fun at least for me.

3) the crafting I didn't get far with this but there are few crafting systems that I can say I like (im just not much of a crafter) but this one was intresting enough that I actualy gave it a try which is saying somhting for me.

What I didn't like (doesn't maen it sucked)

1) the graphics, it is dated no way around it, but not to the point of being a deal breaker

2) the AI, its dumn as in the mobs are stupid lol no challenge at all in terms of active AI at least not from what I have seen and it is a bit buggy, again not game breaking buggy but enough that the game could be drasticly improved if this area was worked on a bit more.

Not that its part of the subject but other games that fall into this braket ("good enough and more fun that most") Requiem, Vanguard and Horizons. Fallen Earth is prolly the best of the set given its age and all; like Fallen Earth they all have some issues {fairly large issues} and none of them could be my main game but considering that no MMO atm is worth the time or money to be my main game they are worth a look see.

Played this game for 3 hours and I wish I could get it back. If a game cannot grab you in 3 hours and make you at least wanna see what it becomes it fails. The most polished and fun part of any MMO needs to be the beginning stages. Most games that come out do this. 

Three hours isn't enough time to develop a quality opinion about an MMO. Especially a game like Fallen Earth.  Yes, alot of the problems you listed are abit silly (pathing, jumping, etc).  At the end of the day however, its just a damn good game that gets better the farther into it you get.

Maybe try AoC, thats really fun and polished for the first couple hours.  

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495

I agree something in any game should be able to grab you and it doesn't even have to be 3 hours, I mean I spend about 1 hour in Champions Online and already knew the game would not be the one for me, obviously cause I am a gamer I can not call CO fail, but just a game that didn't suite me. But that's about it one could say if spend only a couple of hours in a MMORPG.

I must also admit that being in CB(just a little and really only for testing cause the game itself for some reason did not grab me really), got back in OB and still only felt like I wanted to test the game as in beta testing.

I came back nearing one week after release and finaly saw something I was missing for a long time and that was this great community feel, this is what made me stick longer and atm I am kinda hooked on the game and feel it's the best MMORPG on the market towards the playstyle I love having in a MMORPG.

Which does not mean it's the best overall, but pure meant it's the best towards the playstyle I have. It simply has so much that I was missing the last few years of MMORPG, mainly freedom, obviously there is some handholding if one chooses, thankfully the freedom is bigger.

But I also have noticed that during the last month many tried the game and spoke about hte game being to difficult, many didn't really understand how things worked, many felt it has a steep learning curve, it made it clear that not understanding the game made people bash it.

The amount of people I helped that thought things where bugged while they simply misunderstood what they needed to do with certain quests is really hugh, but then the amount of people who skipped the tut. aswell the extended training showed that those people often felt very lost, cause I think they thought they had experiance with games in this genre where I always say regardless how experianced one might think he or she is it's best to take the tut. aswell the extended training as many things are well explained.

Overall it's a game that offers freedom, I know something many can't seem to handle, you need patience, really ALLOT of it, oh noes it takes forever to make a nice rifle when I need salvage wood, which is true and thankfully is true else really everyone would be crafting everthing and there would be hardly any market or auction for trades if it would be easy.

Anyway I love the game and hope it continue's similar to the route CCP (EVE) took by building in baby steps.

I'ts a niche game and not a mainstream game so I would like to see people who understand this instead of thinking it's a mainstream game which it is not, it's carved for niche players as I see those who enjoy to be heavy involved with the community aspects of this game, something most current MMORPG only do well if people get guilded, where in FE everyone helps eachother out regardless if one is in a clan or simply is a social solo player.

Something else I am quite amazed am with FE is how good performance is (me being from the EU(Netherlands) and hardly have lag, just minor hickups in such a big open world and one server game which is based in the US, kinda makes me wonder why I keep seeing people complain about lag, while I don't even have a high end system( it might have been 3 years ago) and I play the game on high graphic settings at 1280-1024 with my AMD 4400X2, 7950X2, X-

Fi-Elite Pro soundcard and 4gb ram on XP which does not read the full 4gb but near 3+ only and a 100mbit fiber con.

• DeienDeien Member Posts: 121

Fallen Earth is a good game really I played it for the free 30 days but It does lack a few things. I hope they add a lot more cause if they plan to go upto lvl 150 I will never pick the game up again if it doesn't change a lot so people are not forced to do mission's what the hell fun is doing mission after mission.

Before i get flamed for saying you don't have to do missions yes you do for the extra AP's.

Originally posted by Deien

Fallen Earth is a good game really I played it for the free 30 days but It does lack a few things. I hope they add a lot more cause if they plan to go upto lvl 150 I will never pick the game up again if it doesn't change a lot so people are not forced to do mission's what the hell fun is doing mission after mission.

Before i get flamed for saying you don't have to do missions yes you do for the extra AP's.

Well sorry to inform you but you do not have to do missions for AP, you can choose to do missions for AP but thankfully the game offers allot of way's to gain AP by just doing about anything that builds up your AP %. No flame, just a fact.

Thankfully FE does not force anything except what people force on themselfs, which has nothing to do with the game but has to do with how people play it themself.

But I can definitly understand people would get bored if they choose to only do missions for AP, like I said thankfully AP is gained by about anything, just build up your AP % to gain full AP's.

• angus858angus858 Member UncommonPosts: 381

Did writing this make you feel good?  I'll give you a 5 for effort.  But you only get a 1 for accuracy. 

Originally posted by angus858

Did writing this make you feel good?  I'll give you a 5 for effort.  But you only get a 1 for accuracy. 

Tell me where im wrong? You know that tutorial you did where the original GTA 2d game had better handling? Was that what grabbed you? Or was it the AI that made any NPC do what could only be described as halfwit jumping jacks while running in place as I mowed them down with the clunky combat system? I know, it was the completely awesome way all the NPC's skated across the screen when you where trying to get the bomb out? Lets talk how I based all these problems off the first 5 min of the game and how ppl should not judge anything with first impressions. I mean when I buy a new car and it doesn't start everytime I want it to I should not be mad I should be like "hey, it gets better later man."

The least this company could of done is polished the hell outta the first 5 min of this game. I do not care if in beta it was black-n-white and everything was stick figures, it has not come far along enough to make anyone pay for this. The end-game in this game is not there. I made this assumption all by myself. How you ask? Well in the history of MMOs endgame was always the last to shine because developers did this cool thing like making the beginning of there game good enough to pull the subscriber in. So since not even Blizzard got end game right right away I think it is a safe bet FE is far off the course.

It is sad that I can completely tear this game apart off the first impression. You may think I am being harsh but you guys that are like "oh its not that bad its ok it will be better in 6 years down the road" are the reason sub par crap is put out time after time with developers feeling it is ok to make you pay for the first year while they work out the actual game. Sure there will be bugs but I didn't even touch how many bugs I found in the first 3 hours. It would be like kicking the old lady after she is already down with a broken hip yelling for life alert to help her.

The person I responded to said I was inaccurate. I asked him to prove me wrong. I am not mad at the game, I am mad that developers time and time again put out crap and hopefully ppl see the promise this game has and are willing to pay for them to be able to actually finish it. I am also mad that ppl that do pay for it make it so that developers actually get away with it. If you actually like this game and want to pay for it then do it. I simply replied to someone talking as if I made up all my facts. 

I can not fathom the condition of a game that would be worse off then this game and has been out for years. If you say there is one point me in that direction so that I may go troll their forums=P

• WhackANewbieWhackANewbie Member Posts: 225

This is a very-well polished MMO from an indie company. Yes it does still need work, like Darkfall, but for what it is and who made it....it is up there with Darkfall in terms of being able to overcome. The combat does need some work. Some people complain about the ranged combat but I have never had a problem. The melee needs the most work but I can work it enough to go from ranged to melee with little problem. I am not far along yet so I am unsure of the PvP and the content but I do know that hardcore MMO players need to take a break and not try to max a toon in one day. When the Fallout MMO comes out it might do well but this game, in my opinion, will be far along that it should hopefully do well, like Eve is doing. This was my MMO for 2009, when it comes to a new MMO; this game blew away my expectations. Definitely worth it.

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

FE is the one MMORPG I have most fun playing, and that is all that counts for me.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

The person I responded to said I was inaccurate. I asked him to prove me wrong. I am not mad at the game, I am mad that developers time and time again put out crap and hopefully ppl see the promise this game has and are willing to pay for them to be able to actually finish it. I am also mad that ppl that do pay for it make it so that developers actually get away with it. If you actually like this game and want to pay for it then do it. I simply replied to someone talking as if I made up all my facts. 
      I can not fathom the condition of a game that would be worse off then this game and has been out for years. If you say there is one point me in that direction so that I may go troll their forums=P

You are inaccurate due to your time spend ingame, you should have left it with that you didn't like the game, should have been end of story for you. But instead you keep spending time here.

If you feel the game or it's developers are crap you should be mature enough to leave, I mean what good is it to try and force your unneeded opinion on something you hardly spend time with, you don't see me in the CO section, reason is the game did not suite me so I see no reason to insult either the developers or the gamecommunity of that game, shame you can't do the same. Hope your age isn't what is written in your bio. and is in fact or atleast I hope you are very young to respond like you do in this topic.

• angus858angus858 Member UncommonPosts: 381

Originally posted by angus858

Tell me where im wrong? You know that tutorial you did where the original GTA 2d game had better handling? Was that what grabbed you? Or was it the AI that made any NPC do what could only be described as halfwit jumping jacks while running in place as I mowed them down with the clunky combat system? I know, it was the completely awesome way all the NPC's skated across the screen when you where trying to get the bomb out? Lets talk how I based all these problems off the first 5 min of the game and how ppl should not judge anything with first impressions. I mean when I buy a new car and it doesn't start everytime I want it to I should not be mad I should be like "hey, it gets better later man."

The least this company could of done is polished the hell outta the first 5 min of this game. I do not care if in beta it was black-n-white and everything was stick figures, it has not come far along enough to make anyone pay for this. The end-game in this game is not there. I made this assumption all by myself. How you ask? Well in the history of MMOs endgame was always the last to shine because developers did this cool thing like making the beginning of there game good enough to pull the subscriber in. So since not even Blizzard got end game right right away I think it is a safe bet FE is far off the course.

It is sad that I can completely tear this game apart off the first impression. You may think I am being harsh but you guys that are like "oh its not that bad its ok it will be better in 6 years down the road" are the reason sub par crap is put out time after time with developers feeling it is ok to make you pay for the first year while they work out the actual game. Sure there will be bugs but I didn't even touch how many bugs I found in the first 3 hours. It would be like kicking the old lady after she is already down with a broken hip yelling for life alert to help her.

The odd things you describe the NPC's doing does not happen on either of the computers I have used to play. Perhaps you have latency or frame-rate issues. I simply disagree about the combat system. I don't find it "clunky".  I was not bothered by the fact that vehicle physics are not as sophisticated as a driving game.  They work just fine for me and are at least as good as the mounts I have used in other mmorpgs.

You have no basis for commenting on endgame after playing for only 3 hours. I'm not suggesting you should give it more time. Clearly FE is not the game for you.  Anything that makes you so angry is obviously something you should avoid.  Unless, that is, writing an angry review is what your enjoyment is really all about.

I'm sorry you did not like the game.  There are many more polished games available that give you an entire view of the game within the first 3 hours.  I'm just very glad that FE came along as I haven't played a game that I've enjoyed so much in several years.

Go look at any Indy developer at their 3 month mark.  Darkfall was in much worse shape, especially at launch.  Eve had a number of problems... here read this.  

On the flip side, Eve and Darkfall are the most promising games on the market as far as future growth is concerned.  

If your going to play Indy developer games then you have to take the bad with the good.  If you like the basis of the game, and you see the potential in it for future growth, the only way to get the game to a point where it becomes better is to support it via a subscription.  These games aren't build on happy thoughts and hopeful wishes... they are built via time and cash.

Believe me, every developer wish they had the funding and timetable that is provided by Blizzards endorsers.  It's just not practical though.   Only two companies are capable of it... Blizzard and SoE... and SoE is run by a bunch of retarded monkeys.

• Einherjar_LCEinherjar_LC Member UncommonPosts: 1,055
    Originally posted by comerb

Go look at any Indy developer at their 3 month mark.  Darkfall was in much worse shape, especially at launch.  Eve had a number of problems... here read this.  

On the flip side, Eve and Darkfall are the most promising games on the market as far as future growth is concerned.  

If your going to play Indy developer games then you have to take the bad with the good.  If you like the basis of the game, and you see the potential in it for future growth, the only way to get the game to a point where it becomes better is to support it via a subscription.  These games aren't build on happy thoughts and hopeful wishes... they are built via time and cash.

Believe me, every developer wish they had the funding and timetable that is provided by Blizzards endorsers.  It's just not practical though.   Only two companies are capable of it... Blizzard and SoE... and SoE is run by a bunch of retarded monkeys.

Hey now!

Why the hate for retarded monkeys?

Einherjar_LC says: WTB the true successor to UO or Asheron's Call pst!

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698

I played the trial for about 2 hours.. The tutorial is awful and needs to be changed completely.

The indoor graphics are ok but the outdoor.. man. Talk about someone puking and smearing it on a canvas.

The combat is pretty bad.. There isnt much else to say about it.

I didnt have time to get into crafting but its going to take a lot more than 1 decent area of a game to keep me/people playing ( see Vanguard ).

Anyways.. After those 2 hours I quit and uninstalled the game.

• HitechLolifeHitechLolife Member Posts: 210

You guys are playing the game wrong. The true joy in this game is in scouring through trash. I spend most of my time in game going from scrap heap to scrap heap on my motorcycle (custom built from said scrap heaps).

That said, sure the combat is clunky and unpolished but it is still fun in it's own way. The addition of hitboxes is something new and it's satisfying being rewarded for headshots in an MMO. Particularly with a scoped rifle. It's no CoD4 by any means but it's still more fun than playing yet another autotarget faceroller (I play them too, don't get me wrong.).

Crafting is really integral to enjoying this game. You find yourself enjoying combat more after you worked hard to put that scope on your gun or are gleefully mowing down mutants that stand in your way of more precious scrap heaps. If you focus on giving building your character the best equipment possible or a sweet looking ride the game becomes exciting. Best part is it's all within your power to get it - you aren't reliant on rare drops or raid invites. You go out and master the junkyard.

Currently Playing: The Game

• BroomyBroomy Member UncommonPosts: 487
    Originally posted by zymurgeist

You don't like the game. I get that. It makes you nitpick. I get that. You're not satified. I get that. What I don't get is why you get defensive when people who do like the game disagree with you. Fallen Earth, like every game, has flaws. I overlook them because the other things the game does well are fun for me and the things I don't like are not significant to me.  You feel different. That's ok. It's not an FPS. It's not a driving game. It doesn't pretend to be. It's come far enough I pay for it as do many others. It's sad that you try to tear a game apart based on an incomplete first impression and fail. The game is better than some MMOGs that have been out for years right now.  Hopefully it will get better. There's no need for the exaggeration or the drama.

Is this your stock answer for anyone that doesnt like FE because I'm pretty sure you have said the above over and over again towards anyone that isnt a fanboi of the game and "dares" to mention any of the real problems the game has.  To you they are "exaggerating" , they are causing "drama", they are "tearing the game apart based on inaccurate data".   When will you come to realize that MMORPG.com is a general gaming site for gamers of all the current MMO's to come and express their opinions?  I could understand the vapid fanboism on the official game forums, but here?  Dude get a clue, this is the RIGHT Place to voice any objection or dissent towards a game if one chooses to.  It's neutral ground, get over it.  People have a right to state thier dissatisfaction with a game here and do so without being attacked by warped fanbois like yourself.  the game has major issues, and gives indy develpers a bad name imo.  For a game charging full price and a monthly charge its subpar, and this is coming from a gamer with years of experience and played the game in beta and over a month into S2.

As far as FE "being better than some MMOGS that have been out for years right now" that is absolutely meaningless.  Some MMOs were good, some crap, so of course ANY new game will be better than some or worse thanothers.  Therefore that comment isnt worth the pixels it's comprised of. 

No one's exaggerating.

No one's being dramatic.

They are simply telling their experience with the game and their opinions of it. 

Get a new script fanboi, your little monlogue is getting old.

Current Games: WOW, EVE Online