Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AoC AoC AoC ... is not the only game Funcom made :)

I am everything but a fanboy but I often read that players don't trust Funcom anymore to make good games (Secret World) because of AoC.

I just want to recommend to check out the games The Longest Journey and Dreamfall. Both were great games imo. TLJ to me personally was actually one of the best games ever. They blended fantasy elements with " real life "  and futuristic elements. It's those two games that I think of, when I think of Funcom. I believe that they were completely (from scratch) designed by Funcom. AoC for example is based on the Conan Universe (News! hehe). Anarchy Online is also quite cool imo.

/end of Fanboy pretending to be no fanboi fanthread

What Do you guys think ?

Comments

• twiggy550twiggy550 Member UncommonPosts: 492

I knew Funcom made other games. They messed up on Anarchy Online's launch, probably one of the most unplayable games ever released. Nobody knows much about Secret World so eh, pretty skeptical about that.

However, I heard Dreamfall was pretty good though I've never played it. Supposed to have a really interesting storyline in that one

"IRL is a pretty upstanding MMO with thousands of classes, a lot of PvP and even some pretty unique emotes and titles you can acquire. Explore that world first, then we'll talk about this virtual one."

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

I think it's more fun to hate a game than play it, and many people buy a box copy knowing ahead of time they will dislike it, or set in the idea so much that they will. The more hype following a game, the more expectations are made, and people will go in and complain that the game didn't give them a handie under the desk like they thought it would. Someday, I seriously expect people to complain that a game won't wash their windows.

AoC wasn't a bad game at all, and I think their only mistake was making Tortage so awesome that it broke hearts to not see the same level of effort put into other zones as well. Most of that falls on the lack of voicework though. Otherwise, just a typical MMO with the same issues of a fast ride to endgame that is easily bypassed though grind or easily forgotten either way. It was in no way bad, but had a terrible starting community that expected something out of it that I can't imagine for the life of me.

I don't play it anymore, but I surely don't spend my waking moments declaring revenge for the money spent like the average "failcom" brandishing player.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• twiggy550twiggy550 Member UncommonPosts: 492
    Originally posted by GTwander

I think it's more fun to hate a game than play it, and many people buy a box copy knowing ahead of time they will dislike it, or set in the idea so much that they will. The more hype following a game, the more expectations are made, and people will go in and complain that the game didn't give them a handie under the desk like they thought it would. Someday, I seriously expect people to complain that a game won't wash their windows.
    AoC wasn't a bad game at all, and I think their only mistake was making Tortage so awesome that it broke hearts to not see the same level of effort put into other zones as well. Most of that falls on the lack of voicework though. Otherwise, just a typical MMO with the same issues of a fast ride to endgame that is easily bypassed though grind or easily forgotten either way. It was in no way bad, but had a terrible starting community that expected something out of it that I can't imagine for the life of me.
    I don't play it anymore, but I surely don't spend my waking moments declaring revenge for the money spent like the average "failcom" brandishing player.

Yeah, I basically agree with that, my reason for quitting was that the effort put into Tortage wasn't put into the rest of the game (like you mentioned voice overs). After that I just didn't feel immersed anymore. You know, I think that was the best part of the game.

Kind of a counter-point though, I've quite a few box games going in completely skeptical of a game or thinking that I'll dislike it, only to find myself enjoying it immensely. I think the tug for me personally to buy a game I dislike is when I see one or more of my friends playing it and I think to myself "They're having the fun I'm missing out on!" So there's quite a few ways of it, but yeah, overall good summary.

"IRL is a pretty upstanding MMO with thousands of classes, a lot of PvP and even some pretty unique emotes and titles you can acquire. Explore that world first, then we'll talk about this virtual one."

• SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

Dreamfall was tons of fun and I love the story and voice and music and everything.  But I don't see TSW being anything like that.  It looks more sandboxy than anything, but that's just from very tiny amount of details made known and pictures.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035
    Originally posted by twiggy550

Kind of a counter-point though, I've quite a few box games going in completely skeptical of a game or thinking that I'll dislike it, only to find myself enjoying it immensely. I think the tug for me personally to buy a game I dislike is when I see one or more of my friends playing it and I think to myself "They're having the fun I'm missing out on!" So there's quite a few ways of it, but yeah, overall good summary.

Good point, I bought a CE of Auto Assault for 10$ from an Office Depot after hearing of it's decline and assuming the worst looking at the price tag. I went in and had a blast until the game started falling flat in the midlevels, as well as being barren of player-life. On the other hand, I bought WAR because tons of people were recommending it, but after all the research I did on it I was set to assume it would be 'meh'. It ended up being far worse than 'meh' to me, but I went in knowing what it offered and wasn't impressed.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• AlexanderTDAlexanderTD Member Posts: 97
    Originally posted by Sicklekick  
    I am everything but a fanboy but I often read that players don't trust Funcom anymore to make good games (Secret World) because of AoC.

Many people just don't trust the "players that don't trust Funcom because of AoC". Playing from the release i didn't find AOC to be any bad or worse than other games at very least.

I hope SW will have 2 things AOC got  - good combat & pvp system (the only good real real-time combat system and not "click it!") and good graphics. I actualy worry they gonna make it more dumb like othe mmos to appeal to more ... people

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

I'm a huge fan of adventure games and the Longest Journey made by Funcom in 1999 was one of the best I've played. The same designer that worked on Longest Journey, do also work now on Secret World (he did not work on AoC). Dreamfall and AoC are both good games too, so I have very high hopes for Secret World (coupled with the fact, it seems to be strongly inspired by H.P. Lovecraft).

REALITY CHECK

• SporeDotSporeDot Member Posts: 66

I just want to recommend to check out the games The Longest Journey and Dreamfall. Both were great games imo. TLJ to me personally was actually one of the best games ever. They blended fantasy elements with " real life "  and futuristic elements. It's those two games that I think of, when I think of Funcom. I believe that they were completely (from scratch) designed by Funcom. AoC for example is based on the Conan Universe (News! hehe). Anarchy Online is also quite cool imo.
    What Do you guys think ?

Yep, those were good games.

AO launched horribly, yes, but after a year or two in it was quite enjoyable as well. Far better than AoC is, as long ago as AoC came out now. AO was in better shape in that same amount of time.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004

I am really looking forward to finding out more about Secret World, if the graphics are as good as AoC, it will be a bonus, as imo, AoC has the best graphics of any MMO (and even quite a few recent singleplayer games!) as for Funcom themselves, you can't fault them for lack of vision! implementation is always going to be difficult but, even if SW is only as good as AoC i will definitely give it a try

• disownationdisownation Member UncommonPosts: 243

Totally agree. The Longest Journey was a very excellent game by Funcom (as well as Dreamfall). Those that jumped on the "Failcom" train were merely that - just people who like to ride the bandwagon, nothing more. Age of Conan is a good game with amazing graphics and combat.

I am very much looking forward to The Secret World, although I may wait until about 3 months after release to subcribe. Almost all MMO releases are going to be shakey. I prefer to wait a bit so that they can iron out the bugs. And I'm sure there will be some bugs. No game in MMO history has ever gone problem free at launch. TSW will be no exception. Hopefully their release will be fairly smooth, but I'm not gonna bet on that. Nor should you.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

What Do you guys think ?

They have made other games but other games are not MMO's. Funcom get its bad rap from AO and AoC because of how they handel things. I was a rabid AoC fanboy until a month after launch. The Funcom trolls tried to tell me that Funcom had no clue what they were doing and they cited AO as their main example. I never played AO so i threw out all kind of excusses, sort of like the excusses that you see in this board.  Lone and behold most of what the "trolls" told me was true. They lie, their patches break more stuff than fix.

Bottom line if your highly anticipating TSW your not going to listen to reason (I know i didnt listen to reason with AoC), and your setting yourself up to get burnt from a company who has a poor record with MMO's.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• MandyMandy Member Posts: 132

Lets not forget all of the hacks and cheats everyone used  that Funcom did nothing about. Then the Community in AOC was the worse gaming community I ever seen. So full of hate. I never seen a community so full of hate and disrespect and ugliness like in AOC.

Sure AOC had allot of Eye candy and pretty good game play. It was the hacks and cheat programs like "AOC Buddy" used by so many people and the horrible community that ruined it the game for me and many others.

• BinkoBinko Member Posts: 267
    Originally posted by disownation

Totally agree. The Longest Journey was a very excellent game by Funcom (as well as Dreamfall). Those that jumped on the "Failcom" train were merely that - just people who like to ride the bandwagon, nothing more. Age of Conan is a good game with amazing graphics and combat.

I am very much looking forward to The Secret World, although I may wait until about 3 months after release to subcribe. Almost all MMO releases are going to be shakey. I prefer to wait a bit so that they can iron out the bugs. And I'm sure there will be some bugs. No game in MMO history has ever gone problem free at launch. TSW will be no exception. Hopefully their release will be fairly smooth, but I'm not gonna bet on that. Nor should you.

AO = MMORPG and they failed at the release and now that game is free to play.

AoC = MMORPG and they failed with it also. And I'm sure that game will also be free to play soon. It have great graphics and I love the combat, but the game lack on many things.

The Longest Journey = NOT a MMORPG.

So yes, there is a risk that Funcom will fail again with this game. The graphics might be great, but that will not help.

Played:
    From Earth & Beyond, Anarchy Online, Matrix Online, Star Wars Galaxies, World of Warcraft, Age of Conan, Tabula Rasa (Beta), EvE Online, City of Villians, Atlantica Online, Guild Wars, Lineage 2, Pirates of the Burning Sea, PlanetSide, RF Online, Second Life, Fallen Earth.

• SicklekickSicklekick Member Posts: 5
    AO = MMORPG and they failed at the release and now that game is free to play.

Well, AO is 9 years old :)

• elderotterelderotter Member Posts: 651
    Originally posted by toddze

What Do you guys think ?

They have made other games but other games are not MMO's. Funcom get its bad rap from AO and AoC because of how they handel things. I was a rabid AoC fanboy until a month after launch. The Funcom trolls tried to tell me that Funcom had no clue what they were doing and they cited AO as their main example. I never played AO so i threw out all kind of excusses, sort of like the excusses that you see in this board.  Lone and behold most of what the "trolls" told me was true. They lie, their patches break more stuff than fix.

Bottom line if your highly anticipating TSW your not going to listen to reason (I know i didnt listen to reason with AoC), and your setting yourself up to get burnt from a company who has a poor record with MMO's.

Hmmm, Just started AoC a month ago and like it a lot.   All that shows is that you and I like different things about games.  Just because I like or you hate does not make it a good or bad game.   Now, of course, your experience is different than mine. You played at the beginning, I started long after the launch.  I have learned that how a game plays - good or bad at the launch usually means very little. Some bad games have improved and some good games have been ruined.  And in the end what I like and what you like are probaly different things.  Any opinion on a game is merely an opinion.  I would never tell some one not to play a game or not to trust the company who made it just because I didn't like the game.   TSW should be a good game, for me, I hope it turns out to be a good game gfor you too.  But it is up to you if you (1) try it and (2) having tried it like it. 

I find, myself, that sometimes expecting too much from a game can ruin it for me.  Remember  - these are just games they are not the be all and end all to life.

• elderotterelderotter Member Posts: 651
    Originally posted by Mandy

Lets not forget all of the hacks and cheats everyone used  that Funcom did nothing about. Then the Community in AOC was the worse gaming community I ever seen. So full of hate. I never seen a community so full of hate and disrespect and ugliness like in AOC.

Sure AOC had allot of Eye candy and pretty good game play. It was the hacks and cheat programs like "AOC Buddy" used by so many people and the horrible community that ruined it the game for me and many others.

Re the AoC community - in my opinion it is far better than many games, most especially the community of 13 year olds that lives in WoW.

• DragonSharkDragonShark Member UncommonPosts: 227

What Do you guys think ?

The thing is, the AoC launch wasn't anywhere near as bad as the AO launch. In fact, as far as I'm concerned, the AoC launch was a fairly typical MMORPG launch. It was the missing pvp content or non-existent DX10 support that really set people on fire, although in a lot of ways I think the DX10 thing was just added smoke for those already on a crusade against the game.

• dominitdominit Member Posts: 64

What Do you guys think ?

I must agree with this.. I  have never played any of the funcom games but have herd they are really good, but NOT the MMO's!   I ignored the AO people slagging of Funcom, because i loved the Conan universe, I followed Conan for literally years and when i had saved up enough money to but a comp that could play it, it was already released, my friend by this time had played it for several months and he told me to stay clear of this game like a bad rash!!!

I really have high hopes for TSW it has one of the most original story lines and idea's of any game or MMO. I just hope they can deliver this when it is finaly released.

The concept of secret societies ect appeals to a lot of people, more so than conan! This game could be big, MASSIVE even.......

If they dont fuck up!!

• FrobnerFrobner Member Posts: 649

Lets stick to facts here.  Funcom has made some adventure games that I agree are very good.  But they have created TWO MMORPGs that have followed the EXACT same path of half a game at release and in many cases very bad MMO systems.  TSW is a MMO game.  It will fall into the catagory of potential disaster yet again cause nothing has changed at Funcom when it comes to MMOs.

I find it kinda Ironic that the OP didn't mention AO at all. 

• HeretiqueHeretique Member RarePosts: 1,535

You can mark me intrigued with TSW but IMO I believe it will hit the gutter. The ideas, visuals, etc all look great but now it's going to rely on implementation.

On other Funcom games - more than likely it wasn't 100% the same team that did AOC but as far as I can tell the same team is doing TSW.

All up in the air, we'll see what happens.

• sacredfoolsacredfool Member UncommonPosts: 849

I am a big fan of Anarchy Online.

I don't like AoC, but i agree it's one of the better MMOs out there at the moment after most of the fixes.

but i am far from trusting Funcom, or any MMO developer. I simply don't think the people responsible for marketing, and the company CEOs have grown up to release good games. I am 100% sure i will sub TSW a year after release though, or perhaps sooner if it's reviewed exceptional.

/signed

one of the most active TSW forums poster.

Originally posted by nethaniah

Seriously Farmville? Yeah I think it's great. In a World where half our population is dying of hunger the more fortunate half is spending their time harvesting food that doesn't exist.