Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What has your gaming life been like?

OrthaosOrthaos Member Posts: 51

Couldn't think of a better title for the thread...but should fit here, since it encompasses all games

This thread talks about your first games in each genre (the genres you've played that is), and what your "techniques" are when you first started the genre, and what they are now.

So, my first game (I might have played something before it, but its one that sticks out in memory) is Age of Empires 2

In AOE2, I preferred a defensive route, than an offensive one...I suck at games like Warcraft 3 and Starcraft and similar gameplays...I am horrible at playing offensive...and in games like Warcraft 3, it feels like I have to rush to attack the enemy and I can't really play defensively ...games like AOE2, I'm very defensive and I'm pretty good at it. Thats not to say I don't attack my enemies, but I like to play defense is best offense...and get my economy going.

and so, in RTS games, my gaming technique has always been defensive...and thats never changed. I always play defensive.

In MMOs I started with Asheron's Call (1999 to 2001)...throughout my gaming life in AC, I always played melee...and I never liked ranged (and I still don't like guns/bows/crossbows or any other similar weapons. Give me magic or a good sword/axe). And magic was kind of complicated for me in AC, since I was so young then (I was only 11 years old). I was probably one if not the youngest player in AC lol...

Then that changed...forgot what MMO it was, but after a while, I started playing magic classes.

Now, lately the past year or so...I've gone back to melee classes...though, I've gone a more stealth approach (like Assassin or Rogue type classes)...and I also like the more tank classes (like Paladin, favorite class in WoW). Now I don't like mages as much, for some reason...maybe got tired of them or something. But classes like Assassin are awesome...maybe its cause I played Assassin's Creed ;P

Now for FPS games (I only play RPG/MMO/FPS/RTS (or strategy like Civilization/Total War) I don't really like the other genres, like racing or sports games)

For FPS, my first two FPS games (played about same time) was Tribes and Starsiege. I was highly aggressive in those games...and I was damn good at Starsiege...I started Starsiege before Asheron's Call! I was I think around 7 or 8 years old...give or take a year or two...and I was pwning people left and right in Star Siege. These two games were pretty much what got me into gaming. I still play aggressively in FPS games...but I'm not as good as I used to be. But I don't really play too many FPS games, besides Fallout 3.

How did I start my gaming career?

My Papa is a big gamer (he used to be too addicted...my uncle as well got extremely addicted...it started becoming a big problem for both of them)...so my Papa was actually the one who started me in gaming pretty much lol...what cooler Papa can you have :D

For MMOs, I started because my Uncle bought me Asheron's Call for Christmas...if it wasn't for that, I wouldn't have even bothered with MMOs, or not for a long time anyway. Heck, back then I never even knew what a MMO was lol. 

For RPGs, I never really appreciated RPGs for a while, I tried Morrowind when I was really young...and Baldur's Gate...but I was too young to understand them. I've played Baldur's Gate recently, and its a lot better now that I'm older.

So, whats your gaming life been?

Comments

• MyreanMyrean Member Posts: 186

I started with the online dance game like Audition, I really like this because i like dancing and it's for dance aficionados out there.. And also like the customization of the characters in the game..

MMO- I was first introduced to a hack and slash mmo like Flyff, the game is very cute when I first saw it... and love the customization also of the characters... this hack and slash is more on grinding than quest.... but the community is ok, and this makes me feel like a really belong to this game... I meet new friends in game and in real life.

Also for a turn based game, I tried this Atlantica Online, which is one of the top mmo in this site, Itwas my first time to paly this turn based game, I love all the unique features of AO, Specially the Mercenary system,Auto move,Free league, Crafting, Fishing, Arena Betting and etch.

• MrNeutralMrNeutral Member Posts: 2

My first game i ever played bymyself that stands out would be tzar burden of the crown its a little old RTS game that i really liked cause i just liked seeing miniature people just go beserk on each other not to mention the fact i had a dragon army anyway i was mostly a defensive player and i liked being symetrical so i only sent like x0 number of units out it always had to be divisable by 10 for some reason and I still kind of do that now

In terms of mmo the one that stands out would be maple story and i was mostly a warrior just for the simplicity but i wanted to try mage classes cause i kept seeing em out dmg me all the time which pissed me off lol even now i'm still a mix between magic or direct combat i like the idea of a rouge but i'm too straightforward of a person to ever really use stealth i just want to go in guns ablazing and just massacre anything that stands in my path still do that today  

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

My gaming life goes back to the 1980's.  I started off with pong, then my friend next door got an atari 2600.  I begged my parents for a console, but instead of an Atari they got my an Odyssey Magnavox.  In my whole town, there was only one other kid with this console, and incidentally he also has the sole distinction in our town of murdering someone with a hammer.  Coincidence...maybe.

Back then, arcades were happening more, and me and my buddies spent a lot of quarters on Defender, Asteroids, Galaga, Pacman, Tempest, Red Baron, etc.  Those were some good times.

After highschool, I was too busy to play games.  But after college, I bought a pc and started playing an fps called Star Trek Voyager Elite Force.  I still remember the time I was playing deathmatch and was amazed at the AI, and then suddenly realizing that I was playing real people over the internet.  I was hooked.  I logged a lot of hours, sometimes 8 hours in a row.  I could play for hours and hours and not lose a single game.  People started accusing me of cheating, but it was just lots and lots and lots of practice.  I hit the number one spot for holodeathmatch 3 times on csport.net.  Things were going good, but then my hands started hurting and stiffening up after only a couple hours of play.

I started looking for a game that was easier on the hands.  I discovered Star Wars Galaxies a few months before launch and followed it religiously.  When it launched, I created my avatar and was hooked.  It wasn't uncommon to play from sun up to sun down, and luckily my job only requires that I work 3 days a week.  I felt like I was living an alternative life through my avatar.  Even more than Star Trek Voyager Elite Force, I felt sucked in.  I loved this game.  But after the NGE, it was over.

Since then I've played different mmos like WOW, COH, EQ2, LOTRO, Guild Wars, Matrix Online, Vanguard and many others.  Currently I'm playing Fallen Earth, but nothing compares to SWG precu for me.  I miss it.

• twiggy550twiggy550 Member UncommonPosts: 492
    Originally posted by Terranah

My gaming life goes back to the 1980's.  I started off with pong, then my friend next door got an atari 2600.  I begged my parents for a console, but instead of an Atari they got my an Odyssey Magnavox.  In my whole town, there was only one other kid with this console, and incidentally he also has the sole distinction in our town of murdering someone with a hammer.  Coincidence...maybe.

Back then, arcades were happening more, and me and my buddies spent a lot of quarters on Defender, Asteroids, Galaga, Pacman, Tempest, Red Baron, etc.  Those were some good times.

After highschool, I was too busy to play games.  But after college, I bought a pc and started playing an fps called Star Trek Voyager Elite Force.  I still remember the time I was playing deathmatch and was amazed at the AI, and then suddenly realizing that I was playing real people over the internet.  I was hooked.  I logged a lot of hours, sometimes 8 hours in a row.  I could play for hours and hours and not lose a single game.  People started accusing me of cheating, but it was just lots and lots and lots of practice.  I hit the number one spot for holodeathmatch 3 times on csport.net.  Things were going good, but then my hands started hurting and stiffening up after only a couple hours of play.

I started looking for a game that was easier on the hands.  I discovered Star Wars Galaxies a few months before launch and followed it religiously.  When it launched, I created my avatar and was hooked.  It wasn't uncommon to play from sun up to sun down, and luckily my job only requires that I work 3 days a week.  I felt like I was living an alternative life through my avatar.  Even more than Star Trek Voyager Elite Force, I felt sucked in.  I loved this game.  But after the NGE, it was over.

Since then I've played different mmos like WOW, COH, EQ2, LOTRO, Guild Wars, Matrix Online, Vanguard and many others.  Currently I'm playing Fallen Earth, but nothing compares to SWG precu for me.  I miss it.

Never had the chance to play SWG when it was Pre-CU. To me it's kinda like that holy legend that I'll never be able to see. You know, as real as unicorns and stuff like that.

First MMO I ever got into was I believe Silk Road Online, and back then it was a pretty nifty game. Used to go over to my friend's house and mooch off his PC and internets just so I could play it (dial up sucks). I then followed that up with Space Cowboy's Online which eventually got the plug pulled. Still think it's a good game, but the gameplay was never really expanded upon enough.

I played a series of other F2P games for the time (no moniez, P2P games were out of the question). The game that really "wow'd" me was Planetside to be honest. Totally new and original and I absolutely loved the gameplay and I was completely hooked. I eventually had to switch systems and when I switched, the card in my new PC had issues running Planetside... By the time I wanted to come back, the community had run dry. Now I'm pretty sure it's nearing it's end due to the ever-trickling away of the community. In the end though, I wound up with Guild Wars and stayed hooked for an extremely long time, up until the end of 2008 I believe. Then 09' rolled around and I started going at it hardcore in WoW with a friend. From there I've played or tried most of the other P2P MMOs out there and haven't really found a place for myself to call home yet. Unfortunately I may find myself back in WoW sooner than I had anticipated...

"IRL is a pretty upstanding MMO with thousands of classes, a lot of PvP and even some pretty unique emotes and titles you can acquire. Explore that world first, then we'll talk about this virtual one."

• protienprotien Member Posts: 2

I got myself into gaming online not long ago and I started out with Racing Star Come on Baby. I think it is a cool game. check it out :)

• ladydivineladydivine Member Posts: 1

Wow! ...hmmm lets see..

MarioBrothers 2

Sword of Vermillion

Bonk 1, 2 and 3

Castlevania (most of the series)

Resident Evil (all)

Alien Crush/ Devils Crush

Final Fantasy 11 (3 years faithfully/consistently)

• TalgenTalgen Member UncommonPosts: 400

The sierra adventure games  Police quest, Gold rush, Space quest... aahh... good times.. cant leave out the original Ultima's either.

edit:  p.s. damn whipper-snappers.

• ScrogdogScrogdog Member Posts: 380

Well, way back when in junior high school, I began with a neat little game that has perfect graphics and no bugs whatsoever.

Chess. :)

Then I moved on to paper and cardboard wargams a la Avalon Hill/SPI. Third Reich, Gulf Strike... etc.

The first computer RPG I ever played? Hmmm... might have been Bard's Tale.

My first mmo was EQ1.

I still play all of the genres that I used to. These days I get my wargames from The Matrix or Battlefront.

It's been a great run. Now I just hope that Bioware can soon deliver the quality mmo that I would expect from them. We need one right about now.

• glockishglockish Member Posts: 10

Everything I know about life I learned from Commander Keen and Duke Nukem.

I put my life on the line to find a way to be unforgettable

• DerrialDerrial Member Posts: 250

When I was real little I had console systems like the Atari 2600, Nintendo and Super Nintendo. But I don't think I really was a gamer until I got my first PC in my early teens. Once I experienced PC games, I became less and less interested in console games.

My first PC game was Wolfenstein 3D, the original first person shooter back when advancements in FPS games were pretty much being defined entirely by Id Software. Later on I got into Doom and Doom 2, which dominated my gaming hobby for years. I got involved in making level WADs for Doom and Doom 2, and really had a lot of fun with that whole modding/mapping community (I still peek in on that world, people are still making new maps and mods for Doom even now). Then later I got into Quake 2 and that was when I started to get good at FPS games. I joined a clan and participated in clan vs clan Team DM ladders. Since then I play FPS games just for fun, not very competitively, but I am pretty good at them since I've been playing them for so long.

About the same time that I was getting into Wolfenstein 3D, I also discovered LucasArts and Sierra classic adventure games. I played all of the LucasArts and Sierra games like Maniac Mansion, Monkey Island, Kings Quest, Leisure Suit Larry and some adventure games from other companies like Simon the Sorcerer and Legend of Kyrandia. Because of this history, I love the new episodic adventure games being made by Telltale Games, especially the new Monkey Island series - brings back memories of the old classics. I've always enjoyed games that have a good story, and back then it was really only adventure games that had good stories... and probably RPGs but I didn't get into them until...

The first RPG game that I played was Knights of the Old Republic. Before that, I had always avoided RPG games for some reason. I think I felt like they would be annoyingly complicated or something. Of course once I saw the depth of story and gameplay in a RPG like KOTOR, I started getting into them more and more and I've tried almost every RPG that has come out since then.

My first MMO was Lineage 2. The grindy-ness of Lineage 2 almost turned me off MMO games forever, but then I tried some others that I enjoyed a lot more like Planetside, City of Heroes and World of Warcraft.