Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Game design elements that should change ASAP

glofishglofish Member UncommonPosts: 346

1. Some type of trading mechanism that allows the commerce to flourish. Constantly spamming and reading the trade channel is just not right.

2. Better chat system. Having to switch tabs to see what a guild talks about or what someone whispered is just bad design.

3. Horse stealing. Stealing someone's horse  should be a hostile act just like hitting someone. It is weird that someone can jump in front of me while I attack a mob and I turn rogue, yet this same person could steal my horse in front of everyone. This horse stealing mechanism adds nothing to the game, everyone is hiding away their horse and it only introduces awkwardness.

My two cents.

Comments

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977
    Originally posted by glofish

Some type of trading mechanism that allows the commerce to flourish. Constantly spamming and reading the trade channel is just not right.

Better chat system. Having to switch tabs to see what a guild talks about or what someone whispered is just bad design.

Horse stealing. Stealing someone's horse  should be a hostile act just like hitting someone. It is weird that someone can jump in front of me while I attack a mob and I turn rogue, yet this same person could steal my horse in front of everyone. This horse stealing mechanism adds nothing to the game, everyone is hiding away their horse and it only introduces awkwardness.

My two cents.

1: I think everyone agrees on that and AV have put in player vendors, it looks like they want to improve it too and we'll see if they do.

2: Not sure about the alternative, it's pretty much the same as every MMORPG I've ever played.

3: Agreed, have the horse rustlers flagged to you some how. Again no idea how to do this, ATM I just take names and wait for the opportunity to get revenge.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• ZiglugZiglug Member Posts: 69

I think the chat and trade system is just fine the way it is, but the mount stealing is VERY annoying. I sold some poor little ork a mount yesterday and he spawned it like 20 feet away right in front of another noob who proceeded to ride away on it.

Originally posted by Ziglug

I think the chat and trade system is just fine the way it is, but the mount stealing is VERY annoying. I sold some poor little ork a mount yesterday and he spawned it like 20 feet away right in front of another noob who proceeded to ride away on it.

It's not so much the horse rustling but the fact that the mechanics will punish/prevent you from taking revenge upon them or trying to get your mount back.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• Southpaw.GamerSouthpaw.Gamer Member CommonPosts: 572

I agree with everything except #3, why?  Because if someone steals your horse you deserve to have lost it.  There is a reason you do not put it away near people you don't know.  It's enough that when someone hits your mount when on it they go gray, flagging someone for taking a mount with no rider is lame and won't work because then they have to have a system telling the game who owns said horse... which would be a lot of work for a system not needed when people need only use their brain and not dismount near people.

Full Sail University - Game Design

• TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547
    Originally posted by Bainwalker

I agree with everything except #3, why?  Because if someone steals your horse you deserve to have lost it.  There is a reason you do not put it away near people you don't know.  It's enough that when someone hits your mount when on it they go gray, flagging someone for taking a mount with no rider is lame and won't work because then they have to have a system telling the game who owns said horse... which would be a lot of work for a system not needed when people need only use their brain and not dismount near people.

All he said was to make them go Rogue. Which, they should be going rogue if they steal someone's mount. If you're not good enough to fight the guy, then you shouldn't steal the mount.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by Ziglug

I sold some poor little ork a mount yesterday and he spawned it like 20 feet away right in front of another noob who proceeded to ride away on it.

Those things always crack me up, I know it shouldn't be funny (it happened to me few times) but it is like when the old lady trips and fall on her face.............you shouldn't laugh but you can't help yourself.

Anyway I agree with point number 3, it is ridiculus that I have to de-spawn my horse behind some buildings to avoid people stealing it.

• hidden1hidden1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

Could this be a possible horse-theif?

Originally posted by hidden1

Damn rights I am if I can, and like I said the systems are not in the game to even flag people for doing so, why?  Because mounts are simply considered to be there, they have a maker, but no ownership value because they get traded around so much.  It would strain the server a lot if each mount was linked to a person. 

Damn rights I am if I can, and like I said the systems are not in the game to even flag people for doing so, why?  Because mounts are simply considered to be there, they have a maker, but no ownership value because they get traded around so much.  It would strain the server a lot if each mount was linked to a person. 

I don't want to stop you from being a tea leaf mate, I just want to be able to kill you like the dog you are when you do it ;)

CS Lewis

Originally posted by Agricola1

I don't want to stop you from being a tea leaf mate, I just want to be able to kill you like the dog you are when you do it ;)

Yeah around towers blues stealing is pretty lame, it's too easy to get away with it, what they could add is a counter which makes it so when a mount is dismounted anyone getting on it for the next 10 seconds would be flagged.

• ShiymmasShiymmas Member UncommonPosts: 587

Better chat system. Having to switch tabs to see what a guild talks about or what someone whispered is just bad design.

Have to agree here.  I see a lot of the "it's how it is in other games" arguments, but it isn't.  Yeah, I don't know of any game I've ever played that doesn't use a chat box/tab system, however other games allow you to filter what is or isn't on a given tab, as well as alter its name.  That functionality isn't present in DF currently, and needs to be added.  It IS annoying to sit in one channel, see another tab go green, and be forced to swap to that one to see what was said when the simple solution is a set of filters that allow you to see things relevant to your concerns on a single tab (generally).

"The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who have not got it."
    George Bernard Shaw

“What is a cynic? A man who knows the price of everything and the value of nothing.”
    Oscar Wilde

• NizurNizur Member CommonPosts: 1,417

Originally posted by Bainwalker I agree with everything except #3, why?  Because if someone steals your horse you deserve to have lost it.  There is a reason you do not put it away near people you don't know.  It's enough that when someone hits your mount when on it they go gray, flagging someone for taking a mount with no rider is lame and won't work because then they have to have a system telling the game who owns said horse... which would be a lot of work for a system not needed when people need only use their brain and not dismount near people.

I'm a horse-thief. Stole some PKers battlehorn after the tower zapped him. And I almost had my pig stolen while I was trying to despawn him in ork lands. I could hear him running up to take it, and had to cancel and jump on the mount again so he couldn't get it.

Having your mount stolen can definitely be frustrating I'm sure. Stealing one is fun though. I'm not sure what the happy middle-ground would be.

Current: None
    Played: WoW, CoX, SWG, LotRO, EVE, AoC, VG, CO, Ryzom, DF, WAR
    Tried: Lineage2, Dofus, EQ2, CoS, FE, UO, Wurm, Wakfu
    Future: The Repopulation, ArcheAge, Black Desert, EQN

• bambookbambook Member UncommonPosts: 180

I think all points deserve discredability. Chat is just amazing, i love how it separates everything in tabs makes it very organized. Also the trade system is just amazing, no stupid AH where everyone tries to lower the price in order to sell, here people actualyl gain reputation on their prices and quntities. The horse steeling however and the rogue idea is pretty good I guess, but if they leave it as it is, its fine 2.

• cosycosy Member UncommonPosts: 3,228

horse ownership should cost money and put  a mark on the horse like on old times (see picture) and that should made the horse no-trade

BestSigEver :P

• SandbloxSandblox Member UncommonPosts: 180

Some very good points bud and I agree with you. My own input on these...

1) The trade system could use some work. I played old EQ1 where there would be trade hot spots like the EC Tunnel. Trade chat was used like DF but having player made trading hubs helped to make things a bit easier for everyone involved. I understand due to the open pvp nature of DF that this would not be possible in the same way.

I would think though not a Auction House but in game trade boards could help where you can say type in you need wood, and it would list people selling the wood, how much, the price and their area of business. Would help to at least organize things in game a bit. Player owned merchants was also a neat approach but I feel does not help enough with keeping information easily accessible.

This would not automate anything, would not take away danger or shrink the world, just make things organized which makes sense, people of Agon are not all retarded and unable to learn how to setup good trade systems!

2) The chat system is lacking I agree, just not very intuitive. Not much to say here except it can continue to be worked on.

3) So so so agree! Look, I advocate stealing someones mount, if you can do it, go for it! However being a horse thief was punishable by death and Agon is far more harsh then the real world ever was! I think going rogue makes perfect sense if you steam someones mount.

To those who say people should not be stupid and put it somewhere where it can be stolen...that IS stupid! Instead of riding up to town on your trusty stead and dismounting to conduct business....you have to go out of you way, scout the area, hide and then dismount...just stupid way of doing things. If you want to steal something have the balls to take a hit for it otherwise do not do it.

People will still steal mounts all the time but it makes them think and helps prevent brand new characters from stealing mounts from people who could destroy them, that is just lulz.

• glofishglofish Member UncommonPosts: 346
    Originally posted by Sandblox

Instead of riding up to town on your trusty stead and dismounting to conduct business....you have to go out of you way, scout the area, hide and then dismount...

yeah, that's really it - irritates me to no end that you have to hide to dismount as if you were trying to take  a dump in a the city in broad daylight

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666

RE number 3: ok, i agree. They need to go rogue for that, but thats it. Anyway, whats the difference? They will steal your mount, go rogue, run away for 2 minutes and come back in the same spot.

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

• HotjazzHotjazz Member UncommonPosts: 742

Originally posted by Sandblox

Instead of riding up to town on your trusty stead and dismounting to conduct business....you have to go out of you way, scout the area, hide and then dismount...

yeah, that's really it - irritates me to no end that you have to hide to dismount as if you were trying to take  a dump in a the city in broad daylight

Come on, horsetheft is not hard to avoid. I've only lost two horses this way, so it's not a big problem. When your clan is at war, you will dismount before going to a bank anyway. Atleast I do it  to buff up. A mouth cost 300 gp, and that's killing two medium mobs or harvesting 25 iron ore.

The chat sucks, that's for sure. It's so bad, I can imagine how they could invent something like that.

My biggest complain in DF is traveling. I find it utterly boring to ride for 15 min to get to a decent mobspawn. I usually only get to farm the mobs for 15 min before I have to bindstone back to defend the clan citys. Vendor sold runestone is my christmas wish.