Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Unplayable

2»

Comments

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

I'd also upgrade to 3gb ram instead of just 2gb. Especially when using Vista.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• FrobnerFrobner Member Posts: 649

WAR is not the most "economic" game for low end systems.  Considering that the quality of the graphix it is abit strange but...  Lets stick to facts...

WAR has hugely better QUALITY graphics engine than WOW. That on the other hand leads to more information needed to be passed to the user-client (colour of items and so on) and is causing lag.

Problem with WAR is that its going for RVR content only.  Thats sad cause if they actually would do this game properly they would beat WOW hands down when it comes to every aspect of the PVE gaming.

But hey... BLIzzard is making the right disissions.. while Mythic is bleeding subs and getting rid of staff....   Now thats how it should be...

Get it right Mythic !

• jadoncjadonc Member Posts: 136
    Originally posted by Raztor

Anyone recommending Nvidia at the moment is clearly out of touch with the current GPU market. Ati is currently much better and cheaper.

lol, ATI does make nice cards, it's the drivers that suck and always have

With ATI you have to keep getting a new card because the driver support sucks. Also is horrible for backward compatibility with older games.

• RaztorRaztor Member Posts: 670
    Originally posted by jadonc

Anyone recommending Nvidia at the moment is clearly out of touch with the current GPU market. Ati is currently much better and cheaper.

With ATI you have to keep getting a new card because the driver support sucks. Also is horrible for backward compatibility with older games.

Hey, welcome to 2005.

Nvidia has fallen pretty low now. They don't even have a DX11 card out and won't do so for at least another 3 months. At the moment at all price points ATI is dominating, their driver support is better than nvidia when it comes to Vista/ Win7. There is just no reason to recommend Nvidia at the moment, you get much better value for money with ATI. Nvidia drivers are currently the number 1 reason for Vista crashes.

• KamayorKamayor Member Posts: 52

well isnt that cause more people use NVidia

• warmaster670warmaster670 Member Posts: 1,384

Originally posted by jadonc

Hey, welcome to 2005.

Nvidia has fallen pretty low now. They don't even have a DX11 card out and won't do so for at least another 3 months. At the moment at all price points ATI is dominating, their driver support is better than nvidia when it comes to Vista/ Win7. There is just no reason to recommend Nvidia at the moment, you get much better value for money with ATI. Nvidia drivers are currently the number 1 reason for Vista crashes.

OK? who cares if vista sucks, we all know that already, and what does not having a DX11 card out now have ANYTHING to do with getting a cheap nvidia card? oh ya nothing.

Apparently stating the truth in my sig is "trolling"
    Sig typo fixed thanks to an observant stragen001.

• ZodanZodan Member Posts: 564

DX11? Wake up guys and name one DX11 title.

Oh right, there is one DX11 title and there will not be much until Nvidia decides to make a card supporting it.

ATI drivers are horrible, always have been always will be because of how they do the driver development without proper QA.

ATI drivers might be crap but they are still better than Nvidia's... 

At the moment ATI's DX11 cards (the 5xxx line) are much much faster than anything Nvidia has out, and have been dominating for the last few months since they were released. Nvidia is struggling at the moment with production issues and won't release their new cards for some time yet.

The point is, and returning to OP, it's not right to recommend Nvidia GPUs as they are slower, more expensive and have worst drivers than their ATI equivalent. That might change in 5 months time when Nvidia releases their 300 series card line, but at the moment ATI is on top and if you are in the GPU market then you would be a fool to choose Nvidia.

• nightbird305nightbird305 Member UncommonPosts: 272

At the moment ATI's DX11 cards (the 5xxx line) are much much faster than anything Nvidia has out, and have been dominating for the last few months since they were released. Nvidia is struggling at the moment with production issues and won't release their new cards for some time yet.

The point is, and returning to OP, it's not right to recommend Nvidia GPUs as they are slower, more expensive and have worst drivers than their ATI equivalent. That might change in 5 months time when Nvidia releases their 300 series card line, but at the moment ATI is on top and if you are in the GPU market then you would be a fool to choose Nvidia.

ATI's drivers are better than Nvidia's? Hah prove it. 

The new 5xxx cards are fast, but they aren't amazingly fast as you lead on to believe. Only their best 5xxx card (the 5970) beats Nvidia's 295 gtx, and even then it's only with a gain of 10-20 fps (check any benchmark)

Nvidia are having production problems, but until they announce that they've given up on the GTX 300, I don't think it's anything to worry about. 

Your point is you have no point. You make baseless accusations with no proof for either side. If I was to recommend someone a video card, I would recommend a dx10 card that has gone down in price, so that they have the money for when the optimized dx11 cards come out.

Originally posted by nightbird305

The new 5xxx cards are fast, but they aren't amazingly fast as you lead on to believe. Only their best 5xxx card (the 5970) beats Nvidia's 295 gtx, and even then it's only with a gain of 10-20 fps (check any benchmark)

Nvidia are having production problems, but until they announce that they've given up on the GTX 300, I don't think it's anything to worry about. 

Your point is you have no point. You make baseless accusations with no proof for either side. If I was to recommend someone a video card, I would recommend a dx10 card that has gone down in price, so that they have the money for when the optimized dx11 cards come out.

Hmm, read the OP's post. He is using Vista. Nvidia drivers are the number one cause for Vista crashes (see this link). People might say Vista is crap, but that's what the OP is using. Recommending Nvidia is silly at this point. He will get better value for money with ATI and have less driver problems. 

I've so far used facts so far and back them up. OP, grab a cheap 4xxx series card, it'll give you less headaches than Nvidia and will have better performance.

Also, to the post above,  the 295 is a double card basically, while the 5970 is a single, and it still beats it by 10-20 fps. That's how far behind Nvidia has fallen. Imagine when ATI release their double version of the 5970. But anyway, this is going offtopic.

• PheacePheace Member Posts: 2,408

Originally posted by nightbird305

Hmm, read the OP's post. He is using Vista. Nvidia drivers are the number one cause for Vista crashes (see this link). People might say Vista is crap, but that's what the OP is using. Recommending Nvidia is silly at this point. He will get better value for money with ATI and have less driver problems. 

I've so far used facts so far and back them up. OP, grab a cheap 4xxx series card, it'll give you less headaches than Nvidia and will have better performance.

Also, to the post above,  the 295 is a double card basically, while the 5970 is a single, and it still beats it by 10-20 fps. That's how far behind Nvidia has fallen. Imagine when ATI release their double version of the 5970. But anyway, this is going offtopic.

The part you're ignoring so far is that Nvidia has about twice the market share/ installed drivers than does Ati. So yes, *ofcourse* Nvidia drivers will be causing Vista crashes far more often than Ati drivers do.

Granted, if you divide the number by 2 the nvidia driver still causes more crashes than the ati driver but only by a few percent, hardly a solid reason to say recommending nvidia is 'silly at this point'.

Btw, I have an ATI card.

• iZakaroNiZakaroN Member UncommonPosts: 719
    Originally posted by Kamayor

would a fifty or sixty dollar video card really help all that much wouldnt it be just the same as the crap i have now

Any not integrated video on the market works much better than any integrated :)

Where themepark games try to hide that they are copying WOW, games like Mortal Online and Darkfall make no attempt to hide their inspiration
    ______\m/_____
    LordOfDarkDesire
  • jadoncjadonc Member Posts: 136

So um, there is currently 3 released games that use DirectX 11. I'll stick with NVidia for compatibility, thanks.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_games_with_DirectX_11_support

The ATI arguement is so old, NVidia won the war.

• RobsolfRobsolf Member RarePosts: 4,607

Time of this report: 12/18/2009, 22:22:57

Machine name: DAVID-SHAUN

Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium (6.0, Build 6002) Service Pack 2 (6002.vistasp2_gdr.090803-2339)

Language: English (Regional Setting: English)

System Manufacturer: HP-Pavilion

System Model: GC670AA-ABA a6120n

BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 CPU 4400 @ 2.00GHz (2 CPUs), ~2.0GHz

Memory: 2038MB RAM

Page File: 1738MB used, 2580MB available

Windows Dir: C:Windows

DirectX Version: DirectX 11

DX Setup Parameters: Not found

DxDiag Version: 7.00.6002.18107 32bit Unicode
    So this is my machine pretty bad but on lowest detail I get like 10fps a second literaly.
    Warhammer needs support for lower end systems this is just retarded

Vista is devouring most of your 2 gigs of memory, leaving little for the game itself.  Your page file is huge which means your hard drive is swapping all the time, which KILLS your fps.

Another gig of system memory would help alot for any of your games.  Don't bother with 2 more gigs, cuz the most you can have is 3.3.

Or upgrade to W7.  W7 dramatically decreased system memory usage on my machine, leaving alot more for gaming.

• DstiveDstive Member Posts: 42

would a fifty or sixty dollar video card really help all that much wouldnt it be just the same as the crap i have now

Save that money and go buy an Xbox. It's for your own good.

• derek39derek39 Member UncommonPosts: 265

Yea your computer is kinda dated. Even that dual core is SUPER low end for games now a days...

and a $50-$60 video card?! that's not going to do ANYTHING for you lol! but you can get an XFX HDradeon 4850 1gig for cheap on newegg for $130 that's going to be the best bang for your buck, but you also need to update that CPU and intel crap ain't cheap. That's why i roll with AMD and never had a problem.

Monster Hunter since '04!
    Currently playing: MHW & MHGU