Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

POLL: Would you buy a lifetime sub if offered?

Einherjar_LCEinherjar_LC Member UncommonPosts: 1,055

Title says it all.

I have a lifetime sub to LOTRO and I love it, don;t regret it one bit.  

I hear some folks were not so happy with their CO lifetime sub purchases.

So, if Icarus offered a lifetime sub option would you take it, and if you would, what would be the price point you think would be reasonable?

As for me, I would buy a lifetime in a heartbeat.  I think the price point should be somewhere between $200-$300USD

Thanks for the replies and have fun!

Einherjar_LC says: WTB the true successor to UO or Asheron's Call pst!

Comments

• twiggy550twiggy550 Member UncommonPosts: 492

I can't even dedicate myself to play an MMO for a year's time. So a lifetime sub offered for any MMO currently isn't worth anything in my wallet.

But for Fallen Earth specifically, I think it has too many glitches/bugs/technical issues anyways for me to even enjoy the game. Love the concept and love how it looks, but some of the things in the game itself turn me away from it so eh, give and take.

But like the dude who posted above me, I wouldn't put that kind of money into a game I may or may not play somewhere along in the future.

"IRL is a pretty upstanding MMO with thousands of classes, a lot of PvP and even some pretty unique emotes and titles you can acquire. Explore that world first, then we'll talk about this virtual one."

• DarkholmeDarkholme Member UncommonPosts: 1,212

The standard seems to be around $199.99 US for a lifetime subscription. If Icarus offered that for Fallen Earth I would do it in a heartbeat without a doubt... Do it NOW Icarus!

-------------------------
    "Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

Member Since March 2004

• DedthomDedthom Member Posts: 541

No, but if the monthly was 8 or 9 dollars I would sub to FE.

""But Coyote, you could learn! You only prefer keyboard and mouse because that's all you've ever known!" You might say right before you hug a rainforest and walk in sandals to your drum circle where you're trying to raise group consciousness of ladybugs or whatever it is you dirty goddamn hippies do when you're not busy smoking pot and smelling bad."
    Coyote's Howling: Death of the Computer

• mrputtsmrputts Member UncommonPosts: 283

No I would not FE is not worth the money. I did a little beta it is a bullshit game trying to cap on Fallout 3 success. However they Failed.

Ea is like a poo fingered midas ~ShakyMo

• KirinRahlKirinRahl Member UncommonPosts: 159

'A little beta' is not enough to figure out if a game is good.  Beta isn't there for you to have fun, as most AAA developers would have you believe these days.  It's there so you can stress the servers and help the devs find errors that their own testing could not.  If you're having a problem in beta, congrats, you're playing in a beta.  Report it and continue trying to play.  If it's entirely unplayable, try again.

Fallen Earth was PARTICULARLY bad in beta.  I recall the newbie zone having teleported me out into a featureless canyon at -least- a dozen times before I just skipped it, and even then I had awful performance and a hard time playing in general.  Now the newbie zone and the rest of the game run just fine, and I actually had a good time running around in dungeons and killing savages and such.

• Weezer_GeekWeezer_Geek Member Posts: 18

Tried the game and didn't like it. However, I can't think of any game I would pay a lifetime subscription for. Although about 8 years ago I was so addicted to EQ that I may have done it. Played for about 3 years so Im sure a life-time sub would have saved me some money in the long run...

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

Not with the Star Wars and Star Trek mmo around the corner.  Hopefully they add some things to the game to keep my interest because competion will be heating up soon.

• ScyrisScyris Member UncommonPosts: 149

Probally not due to how crappy Fallen Earth is, I was on the trial once after release and after dcing due to net lag 7 times before I got out of it, I stayed far away from it, Not to mention I was in Closed beta/Open beta and found the gameplay to be fairly lackluster and pretty damned boring. Then you got the bland color pallete, way to much grey and brown and pretty much nothing else. Got combat that the animations (at least for melee) don't play half the time. Then there is the fact the game seems way more grindy than most korean mmos out there. I also was disapointed at how big the zones are, and how little variety there was to them least for the outdoor zones, Miles upon miles of grey/brown rocks is not fun to stare at and that describes most likely 90% of the zones. I'd honestly not reccomend FE to anyone personally, the game is just that bad from my experence and a few friends who also were in cb/ob and on a trial later on.

• ReklawReklaw Member UncommonPosts: 6,495
    Originally posted by zymurgeist

I don't buy lifetime subscriptions. It hasn't anything to do with how good or bad a game is. I just don't commit funds based on what I may or may not do in the future.

Same here, regardless how good I feel a game is I never buy lifetime subs, also never ever pre-order MMORPG's, both because so many things can change, both the game aswell in rl.

• DarkholmeDarkholme Member UncommonPosts: 1,212

Let's look at it this way. Say I have been subscribed to LotRO for 24 months at $15 a month. That is $360 worth of monthly fees. If I'd have paid the $200 for the lifetime subscription I'd have saved $160 over 2 years. That may seem like a pittance, but consider if it were around for four years and kept your attention that long. That's $720 over four years and you could save $520 over that time... Can an MMOG keep your attention for that long? I played and paid for UO for eight years, WoW for four, and in fact every MMOG I have played for any length of time I have stuck with for at least two years. I suppose for some people that can't keep their interest in one thing for more than a few months it wouldn't be worth it, but a great deal of the people that play MMOGs will stick with one they like for many years.

Oh and Note: If you already know that you don't like FE and wouldn't subscribe or play regardless, there is no real reason to even answer this thread. This should be directed at people that are currently subscribed that plan on staying. In other words, stop using threads like this as an excuse to bash the game. You dislike FE, fine, so go participate in a community whose game you do enjoy and stop wasting your time...

-------------------------
    "Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

Member Since March 2004

• DarkPonyDarkPony Member Posts: 5,566

No, not me. Even though I love the game at the moment I can't trust myself that I will still love it in the future, as with every game.

• Einherjar_LCEinherjar_LC Member UncommonPosts: 1,055

I look at it the same way Darkholme does.

I like this game enough I can see myself playing it for awhile.  Based on that, I would go ahead and get the lifetime and try and save myself some money over the long run.

The other benefit of having a lifetime is even if you step away from the game, you can come back at your liesure without having to re-sub or incur any additional cost.

At $199.00, you'd only have to get 13 months(@$15.00) of playtime out of a game to break even.  Any game I've enjoyed I've easily spent that long in...UO, AC1, WoW, Anarchy Online, SWG....I spent years in these games.  Maybe not at one long stretch, but over time I would've easily gotten my money back on the above games.

And I have to also agree with Darkholme in that this thread is aimed at people currently playing the game.  If  you want to bash it, that's fine but that isn't really the focus of this thread, so please start your own.  Obviously if you don't like the game and aren't playing it, you wouldn't get a lifetime sub or any sub for that matter.  I'm more interested in where the current players of the game stand on this issue.

• DedthomDedthom Member Posts: 541
    Originally posted by mrputts

No I would not FE is not worth the money. I did a little beta it is a bullshit game trying to cap on Fallout 3 success. However they Failed.

Odd since it was in development years before Fallout 3 came out. Maybe the devs just knew what was coming aye?

""But Coyote, you could learn! You only prefer keyboard and mouse because that's all you've ever known!" You might say right before you hug a rainforest and walk in sandals to your drum circle where you're trying to raise group consciousness of ladybugs or whatever it is you dirty goddamn hippies do when you're not busy smoking pot and smelling bad."
    Coyote's Howling: Death of the Computer

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

Its depends where you sit financially and what type of gamer are you.

$199 may be expensive for most players at the get go, but in the long run, you will be saving yourself money.

However before committing to a game, make sure you like it 1st.

I got a lifetime sub with lotro and believe its well worth it, even though I don't play it as much as I used to.

But I could easily subscribe to FE for a lifetime and I wish Eve had one too as many times I keep going back to that game.

Lifetime subscription are only profitable to companies that expect their game to fold up within a couple of  years.

So with lotro, I definitely got my money worth and dont think WoW will ever have a Lifetime option any time soon either.

FE however, I seriously doubt at this point will even consider this.

• KexoKexo Member Posts: 84

This game could be free to play in a year or dead.

• HardcoreHeroHardcoreHero Member Posts: 72

I picked "I liek caek" because I do.

-------------------------------------------------------------

"I have no idea what''s going on." - Tasos Flambouras

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156

Lifetime offer is fishy in one way or another. I will never play a game that will offer lifetime subscription for my own reasons. It's a loss for the company in the long run if they plan to maintain loyal customers.

REALITY CHECK

Originally posted by Kexo

This game could be free to play in a year or dead.

Doubtful.

I think this game will ramp up subs similar to Eve.  I see new players constantly on help chat so there is a steady stream of new blood coming in.

This game will be fine.

Originally posted by Thillian

Lifetime offer is fishy in one way or another. I will never play a game that will offer lifetime subscription for my own reasons. It's a loss for the company in the long run if they plan to maintain loyal customers.

I don't know how fishy it could be.

I can see how gamers would be suspect after the CO lifetime sub issues, but by contrast LOTRO offered lifetime subs numerous times and most are extremely happy with that option for the game and it's populations seem to be pretty steady if not growing.  A few months ago when LOTRO released in Asia, the devs said subs were increasing across all markets. 

So the lifetime sub model seemed to work out for LOTRO, while not so much for CO.

• ThillianThillian Member UncommonPosts: 3,156
    Originally posted by Einherjar_LC

Originally posted by Thillian

I don't know how fishy it could be.

I can see how gamers would be suspect after the CO lifetime sub issues, but by contrast LOTRO offered lifetime subs numerous times and most are extremely happy with that option for the game and it's populations seem to be pretty steady if not growing.  A few months ago when LOTRO released in Asia, the devs said subs were increasing across all markets. 

So the lifetime sub model seemed to work out for LOTRO, while not so much for CO.

Actually. From my experience, all lifetimers I knew in EU are gone from the game, because the game shifted tremendously with Moria.

Fact is, lifetimer is the most loyal customer that plans to stay with the game for a long time.

After a while,  these sort of loyal customers do not contribute to the monthly subscription revenue.

In a long-run, it's a financial suicide if you want to maintain your customers. With a lifetime option, the game will definetly be changing markets frequently to search for new players even for the cost of sacrificing and alienating the existing playerbase - to an extent happening in Lotro.

Imagine a game like DaoC, AC1, EQ1/2, if these offered lifetime option. Do you think that the current players will be monthy subscribers? No, they'd be all lifetimers and these games would die by now.

REALITY CHECK

• MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196

Its its a game that I am really enjoying I would buy it but I would never buy a Lifetime sub for a game that I have not at least played for a couple months.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

To me, Lifetime Sub = ripoff. Its the same, to me, as pre-ordering, collector's editions, and all that jazz. I suppose it may save some players some money over the long haul, but the company could close its doors a month after someone pays the lifetime sub. What then?

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964
    Originally posted by Palebane

To me, Lifetime Sub = ripoff. Its the same, to me, as pre-ordering, collector's editions, and all that jazz. I suppose it may save some players some money over the long haul, but the company could close its doors a month after someone pays the lifetime sub. What then?

Its a risk you got to take, but not everyone can afford this kind of risk option.

Hopefully you choose the right mmo that will still be around for about 1 year.

$199.99 for lifetime or $194.87 for 13 months @ 14.99 month.

Lifetime is more feasible for me and less headaches in the long run.

This game has been attracting new players every month and doesn't have a steep budget like the big AAA titles out there to turn a profit.

To my understanding, If you feel paying $14.99 to a indy title is a rip, you shouldn't even be playing the game in the 1st place. That's what trials are for.

• rabidabbeyrabidabbey Member Posts: 13

Imagine if SWG had offered lifetime subs.....yikes, I'd be even more pissed than I already was after the cu and nge. Bastards!

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133

I like FE. I have a current sub. hat said, I voted no. LOTRO burned me on guying lifetime subs. I thought I would be playing that game for a long time. Turns out no.

The only way I'd entertain a lifetime sub again at this point is for World of Darkness Online or for a sandbox game that had EvE's PvP setup (as far as having different sectors of NPC protection- 1.0 to 0.0 space), a crafting system that mirror's SWG(pre-nge), a guild city and player housing/shops system, monthly story updates like AC1, and a few more things.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez