Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ryzom like Avatar the film

beebbeeb Member Posts: 31

I played Ryzom a long time ago, I think it was 3 years maybe. I have just watched James Cameron's Avatar and it reminded me of the game so much! That was all I could think about through the film, how much this is like Ryzom. I'm sure James Cameron has a little play. From what I could remember there was a race called Mantis? They look very much like the race in the film.

Sorry if this has already been mentioned, I wont say any more to avoid typing a spoiler but there are lots of comparisons.

Great film anyway!

Comments

• hidden1hidden1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    Originally posted by beeb

I played Ryzom a long time ago, I think it was 3 years maybe. I have just watched James Cameron's Avatar and it reminded me of the game so much! That was all I could think about through the film, how much this is like Ryzom. I'm sure James Cameron has a little play. From what I could remember there was a race called Mantis? They look very much like the race in the film.
    Sorry if this has already been mentioned, I wont say any more to avoid typing a spoiler but there are lots of comparisons.
    Great film anyway!

Actually James Cameron has been planning this film since Aliens, but couldn't bring it out the way he wanted due to the special effects technologies at the time couldn't meet his vision of what he wanted to show.

• tryklontryklon Member UncommonPosts: 1,370

Some guys say Avatar is like WoW some say is like Ryzom and many others say its like the game they play.

Guess what, its fantasy, and theres a limit to how a fantasy world can be, so offcourse it has similarities with fanatsy worlds, not specific games.

Stop thinking the director player "your" game and took ideas, thats so ridiculous

• ElirionElirion Member Posts: 160
    Originally posted by tryklon

Some guys say Avatar is like WoW some say is like Ryzom and many others say its like the game they play.
    Guess what, its fantasy, and theres a limit to how a fantasy world can be, so offcourse it has similarities with fanatsy worlds, not specific games.

Stop thinking the director player "your" game and took ideas, thats so ridiculous

Officer Tryklon, Charter member of the Thought Police.  Is there anything else we're not allowed to think?  I just want to make sure I'm in compliance. 

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

I think that South Park episode nailed it; Smurfs.

I mean, is the energy source mentioned in the movie not like smurfberries, and the human forces acting like Gargamel with the Avatar as Smurfette. It's uncanny.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• hidden1hidden1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    Originally posted by Elirion

Officer Tryklon, Charter member of the Thought Police.  Is there anything else we're not allowed to think?  I just want to make sure I'm in compliance. 

Membership conciousness not in compliance with the complacency protocols... subject in direct violation of reasoning suppressantion parameters... executing independant thought rebutal in compliance with membership protocols.... "Dude you must be paranoid"

Sorry couldn't resist when you called out the 'thought police" XD

Just having some fun! XD

• MaDSaMMaDSaM Member Posts: 627
    Originally posted by beeb

Great film anyway!

Those are the Zoraï actually. Blue skinned and tall.

But thats where the resemblance ends ;)

Anyway, just like was mentioned above the "Avatar" Project has been around pretty much longer than any MMO there is ;)

CU

and just enjoy whatever it is you´re seeing or playing

SaM

Ryzom, we dare to be different.
    Do you dare to adapt?
  • green13green13 Member UncommonPosts: 1,341

I have to admit, watching the tall, lithe, blue-skinned nature-loving Na'vi running along the sky roots definitely put me in mind of Ryzom and its Zorai.

I think it's just a coincidence, but the similarity is hard to miss.

• PiquedramPiquedram Member Posts: 127

If you think Avatar is Ryzom-like, you should check out "Kaena - the prophecy"

animated movie of people on a living, growing planet, with a tech spirit and magic spirits, hell, the clothes the girl wears are 75% the same as the ingame Fyros Heavy Armour ;)

• coffeecoffee Member Posts: 2,007

@ blue the OP never said that.. and like wise it was never said in the WoW thread either.  Just as the OP watched the movie some scenes reminded him of ryzoms. 

Originally posted by Piquedram

animated movie of people on a living, growing planet, with a tech spirit and magic spirits, hell, the clothes the girl wears are 75% the same as the ingame Fyros Heavy Armour ;)

Yeah, and in the end she does look quite a but like a young Jena

I´ve read/heard rumors that some of the graphic artists and writers involved in the original developing of Ryzom  have been working on that movie too.

And in fact there are some similar names in the credits to the very early Ryzom team.

As both are French developed. But that could just be coincidence.

CU

SaM

Do you dare to adapt?
  • vladwwvladww Member UncommonPosts: 417

To the OP, you're right.

The Zorais influenced the Na'vi race designers, just as the fluorescent ryzom prime roots influenced the night jungle setting in the movie.

Also the floating islands, specially the waterfall one, is an everquest II replica .

There are lots more mmorpg design similarities in the movie, which have already been explained in some Graphic designer forums.

It appeared that quite a few inside the Cameron's art team are familiar with mmorpgs and even playing them.

Playing : Uncharted Waters Online

Originally posted by vladww

To the OP, you're right.
    The Zorais influenced the Na'vi race designers, just as the fluorescent ryzom prime roots influenced the night jungle setting in the movie.
    Also the floating islands, specially the waterfall one, is an everquest II replica .
    There are lots more mmorpg design similarities in the movie, which have already been explained in some Graphic designer forums.
    It appeared that quite a few inside the Cameron's art team are familiar with mmorpgs and even playing them.

Links to said Forums?

Would be interesting to read :)

Although, the "floating waterfall" is a physical mystery to me. It floats because of the Omnoptanium (or whatever the stuff was called) ok. But how the heck can there be a steady water supply for a lager waterfall?

Could be, this phenomenon would only appear after a massive downpour and dry up after a few hours. But all else is impossible. As cool as it would be.

CU

SaM

Do you dare to adapt?
  • PiquedramPiquedram Member Posts: 127

they thought they were being funny, calling it "Unobtanium" ;)

PS: okay, it's a little funny :D

they thought they were being funny, calling it "Unobtanium" ;)

PS: okay, it's a little funny :D

ARGH! Damn you, German Translations!

Un-optain-ium.

How the hell could I miss that?

*LOL*

CU

SaM

Do you dare to adapt?
  • WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Hey... I have that movie. Cool flick... interesting that it originally started out as the basis for a video game...

That said, I do see the similarities now that you mention it. Had never occurred to me before.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

• SynthetickSynthetick Member Posts: 977

Good movie.

• CecropiaCecropia Member RarePosts: 3,985

Just to clear things up a bit, Cameron did a recent interview on TV where he revealed his inspiration came directly from his time spent in nature, particularly the ocean (coral reefs/diverse interconnected ecosystem etc.)

This whole Avatar thing is about 12 years in the making. Sorry folks, no Ryzom/Night Elf influences to be found here. However the film certainly does pay homage to the mmo genre, that much is obvious.

"Mr. Rothstein, your people never will understand... the way it works out here. You're all just our guests. But you act like you're at home. Let me tell you something, partner. You ain't home. But that's where we're gonna send you if it harelips the governor." - Pat Webb