Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Very good article for once from MMORPG...

HerculesSASHerculesSAS Member Posts: 1,272

www.mmorpg.com/showFeature.cfm/feature/3838/Scott-Jennings-PvP-Fail-How-PvP-Can-Break-Your-Game.html

In it, it details the 'attitude' of the PvP player, and the "PvP developer". I think that's what StarVault is, witnessing the countless arguments that the devs have had publicly, watching them create a 'hall of shame' (which I don't really care, just shows their attitude) and things like that. If you guys don't know the name "Lum the Mad", he originated at the time of Ultima Online and has gone on to do game design in MMOs and a lot more. He has some 'street cred' with this.

Anyway read the article, I found it interesting and very good take on what SV is doing, and the problems that they are facing for launch. I won't mention what I agree with, but I think it is a good take on the PvP genre as a whole.

Comments

• apple01apple01 Member Posts: 46

The very existance of the obsessive Hercules is a proof of persistent madness of the MMO genre.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144

It does fit them to a tee.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508

If you agree with the points raised in the article, you think it was good (which I agree it was), but there are certainly people who were outraged by slams against SB,SV and PVP in general.

SV is making their game for a niche that's already shared by DF and I don't think there's really enough of a player base for both to thrive.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• RuynRuyn Member Posts: 1,052
    Originally posted by Kyleran

If you agree with the points raised in the article, you think it was good (which I agree it was), but there are certainly people who were outraged by slams against SB,SV and PVP in general.
    SV is making their game for a niche that's already shared by DF and I don't think there's really enough of a player base for both to thrive.

AV has opened up a second server and moved to bigger offices which seems to contradict your argument.  It's my opinion that the PvP appetite for a MMORPG that isn't part of a instanced battleground is rapidly growing.

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431

I think the structure of the sandbox game can draw many players in. The freedom to do and be what you want in game. Not limited to the class design in most MMO's.

A big draw in DF is the FPS style and AI of the mobs, not just PvP. That is where MO could grab some of the players that prefer PvE over PvP. The cmbat in MO will make ganking a bit more difficult. The fact that you can't catch a player out if combat when you are in a combat stance. This could change as they balance combat, but having the stance allows a player to escape easier if they don't want to fight.

The PvE is very important to the sandbox PvP game. Either DF or MO could get the PvE balance right. IMHO, the game that does that in the future will have the most subs. The sandbox can get more than just a niche in subs even with the full loot. There just needs to be more reason to game than just PvP. But PvP is important for the feeling of danger in the game.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• DiekfooDiekfoo Member Posts: 583

HerculesSAS is a professional MO-whiner.

He doing his best to bash MO. If he can't find anything negative to write he invent something or twist the truth. We have seen this over and over again. 

• Cristina1Cristina1 Member UncommonPosts: 372
    Originally posted by Ruyn

Originally posted by Kyleran

AV has opened up a second server and moved to bigger offices which seems to contradict your argument.  It's my opinion that the PvP appetite for a MMORPG that isn't part of a instanced battleground is rapidly growing.

What are you talking about, what second server? That is not true at all. Please refrain from posting "facts" about the game you know nothing about. This is how stupid rumors start.

• HalpotHalpot Member CommonPosts: 204

This topic is being discussed here: www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/262859 

This discussion has been closed.