Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Poll: should I get a DSi?

coffeecoffee Member Posts: 2,007

Goona treat my myself for xmas.. damn I deserve it.

Comments

• TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547

The Nintendo DS?

Wtf? No. lol

If you're always going out places where you're ACTUALLY going to use a handheld (I don't know many people who actually use theirs) then try to find a PSP slim, or the new one IF it's hackable.

PSPs have alot of functionality and some good quality games.

• coffeecoffee Member Posts: 2,007
    Originally posted by TheHatter

The Nintendo DS?
    Wtf? No. lol

If you're always going out places where you're ACTUALLY going to use a handheld (I don't know many people who actually use theirs) then try to find a PSP slim, or the new one IF it's hackable.
    PSPs have alot of functionality and some good quality games.

Well If I do get it it will be mostly for the snes emulator and the new zelda games.  But my 8800gts is starting to age and a shiny new gfx card would also be nice.. hum.. decisions.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

IMO a psp is a better console then ds I have 2 lol and there are emulators to play games of other consoles (gameboy,snes I think and more).

Originally posted by bloodaxes

IMO a psp is a better console then ds I have 2 lol and there are emulators to play games of other consoles (gameboy,snes I think and more).

Ah but theres no *ahem* R4 *ahem* or equivelant for the PsP atleast not without modchipping or flashing firmware.. things that could knacker the device.

• AeroangelAeroangel Member UncommonPosts: 498

It's definitely up to you.. lol. For me I've owned nearly all the iterations of gameboy from the original grey brick to the nintendo DS. Ended up selling my DS and all the games and finally calling it quits, because I realized that the only time I really got mileage out of my DS was either when I didn't have any console or computer games to play, I was traveling, or a really really good game came out for the DS. I don't travel much, and stay at home most of the time so I have access to console or computer (and will usually get a game for either before a DS), and I'm sure it's pretty rare for a really good gameboy game these days amongst all the muck. I think you would have better luck finding quality games elsewhere.... but anyway. 

It sounds like you know what you want already and you know the pros and cons of it all. Even if I did travel a lot I would probably be more than content with a gaming laptop, fancy cell phone, mp3 player, or just you know some form of entertainment that doesn't require digital stimulation, or just some kind of meditation. 

--------------------------
    Playing:
    FFXIV, TERA, LoL, and HoTS
    My Rig:
    GPU: GeForce GTX 770, CPU: i7-4790K, Memory: 16 GB RAM

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

I suggest you get a DS over a PSP.

The problem I have with the PSP is that it's really just a dumbed down Playstation 2. The DS on the other hand offers a unique experience that you can't get anywhere else. It's also the only console around that still has new old school type games.

What do you mean "new old school type games"? Because there are ALOT of old school titles on the PSP. The PSP is also just a hand held PS1, same power I think.

The PSP is comparable to the Playstation 2. It's a bit weaker, but not by much.

Most old school PSP games are simply ports of old Playstation 1 games.  The DS gets new games that have gameplay styles that are comparable to the 16 bit era. New games such as New Super Mario Bros, Castlevania, Contra and Megaman

• AeroangelAeroangel Member UncommonPosts: 498
    Originally posted by Gameloading

I suggest you get a DS over a PSP.
    The problem I have with the PSP is that it's really just a dumbed down Playstation 2. The DS on the other hand offers a unique experience that you can't get anywhere else. It's also the only console around that still has new old school type games.

I do agree with this statement, but at the same time some people do want like a dumbed down playstation 2 and not old school games :P Although, I'm pretty sure you can get some games like that for consoles (like downloading classic games for wii) and find them online/for PC, or you could just get a SNES and play some classics like I do :D 

That is a good point for someone considering a DS. But one way I think about it: how many people right now are playing games from this generation vs. pong or something from an older generation? Eventually an iteration of the gameboy will be like a dumbed down version of the wii or one of nintendo's future consoles, or it will be even more technically superior then that. So if your interest is classic games I say get some classic games, and look for new games that have classic play styles and/or graphics. But I don't think you necessarily have to get the DS for games like that, but it is an option. One of the MMO's I'm playing now, Dragonica Online, has modern graphics but it really feels like an old arcade game :)

--------------------------
    Playing:
    FFXIV, TERA, LoL, and HoTS
    My Rig:
    GPU: GeForce GTX 770, CPU: i7-4790K, Memory: 16 GB RAM

• Rayx0rRayx0r Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,902

I bought a DSi this year over the PSP and glad I did.  I really like the split screen and the other things its capable of aside from games.

although, I dont use it as much as I thought I would its still fun as hell to have around when you dont feel like watching tv or playing MMOs sitting on the couch.

“"If you want a picture of the future, imagine a robot foot stomping on a human face -- forever."

Most old school PSP games are simply ports of old Playstation 1 games.  The DS gets new games that have gameplay styles that are comparable to the 16 bit era. New games such as New Super Mario Bros, Castlevania, Contra and Megaman

Castlevania, Megaman, FF2, Street Fighter, etc. are on PSP.

Heh, I didn't realize the PS1 was so weak.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

I can play final fantasy crisis core, final fantasy dissidia, shin megami tensei (should I keep going?) on my psp while on the ds apart that most games tend to be for children has to lower details.

Like others said psx has amazing games of all times that even beat today's games in story/gameplay graphics are not everything imo.

I know it's not legal but my brother plays ds games with an emulator on his pc while there's none that works well for the psp games.

• paulscottpaulscott Member Posts: 5,613

No.  You should get me one.

I find it amazing that by 2020 first world countries will be competing to get immigrants.

The thing is that the PSP games of those franchises are all just remakes and ports of old games. The DS gets brand new installments of those franchises.

• VarnyVarny Member Posts: 765

Nah get a DS emulator for the PC instead, all the games run fine on it as long as you have a Mic,

• VarnyVarny Member Posts: 765

The thing is that the PSP games of those franchises are all just remakes and ports of old games. The DS gets brand new installments of those franchises.

yeh but you can't emulate PSP games yet.

Ohhhhh!

Get a DS then! lol That's pretty cool, I didn't know that.

Well I've done it, got it for £130 though thanks to this deal http://www.allvouchers.co.uk/Cheap_Nintendo_DSi/120.html , its mostly the stylus and duel screens that attract me its different from all the rest plus I want to play some good old skool rpgs not to mention the epic that is the 2 new zelda games. I'll be going out later to puchase Spirit tracks or Hourglass (if its cheaper).

In all I spent £160

DSi = £130

R4i & 2gig card = £20

Screen protector and case = £10

Well thats my treat for the year.. in 6 months time I'll treat my self again, probably to a 260gts/hd4980 gfx card which should be dirt cheap by them any way.