Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Does Final Fantasy XIV have anything special about it?

LocienLocien Member Posts: 87

Hey there. I recently quit a bunch of MMOs(Ragnarok Online, WoW and Lineage 2) because I don't think these games cut it anymore and I'm generally bored of this kind of MMORPG. I've encountered a few videos of FFXIV so far but from what I've seen it looks largely disappointing and reminds me a lot of FFXI which I didn't like at all.

So I was wondering. Is there anything that makes FFXIV special? Is there anything that makes it stand out from your typical MMORPG these days? I'm sorry for not reading through all the threads before asking but I just simply don't feel like spending an hour reading through threads.

Cheers.

Comments

• ic0n67ic0n67 Member Posts: 776

Check back when the game is actually out and maybe someone will give you an answer.

• LocienLocien Member Posts: 87

So what you're saying is that, you guys are all sold on a game that no one even knows anything about just because of a flashy trailer? I learned not to do that a long time ago.

• AntichaosAntichaos Member Posts: 9

its more most of us played 11 and loved the atmosphere and everything involved in it therefore were excited about what is essentially a sequel to that with just a different setting and such

• zanfirezanfire Member UncommonPosts: 969

most people are sold on the fact that they have played and loved FFXI and are fans of SE. We all have hopes but we know it could be bad....but we know we loved their previous works so we are excited for the new one.

theres not much out there about it, but i have a feeling that if you truely disliked FFXI, there is a good chance this probly wont satisfy what your looking for.

• Hrayr2148Hrayr2148 Member Posts: 649
    Originally posted by Locien

Hey there. I recently quit a bunch of MMOs(Ragnarok Online, WoW and Lineage 2) because I don't think these games cut it anymore and I'm generally bored of this kind of MMORPG. I've encountered a few videos of FFXIV so far but from what I've seen it looks largely disappointing and reminds me a lot of FFXI which I didn't like at all.
    So I was wondering. Is there anything that makes FFXIV special? Is there anything that makes it stand out from your typical MMORPG these days? I'm sorry for not reading through all the threads before asking but I just simply don't feel like spending an hour reading through threads.
    Cheers.

If you didn't like FFXI, you might not like FFXIV.  As for me, I LOVED FFXI and would want nothing more than to get the same feeling as I did when I started playing FFXI for the first time.

• swalker23swalker23 Member Posts: 266
    Originally posted by zanfire

most people are sold on the fact that they have played and loved FFXI and are fans of SE. We all have hopes but we know it could be bad....but we know we loved their previous works so we are excited for the new one.
    theres not much out there about it, but i have a feeling that if you truely disliked FFXI, there is a good chance this probly wont satisfy what your looking for.

• ic0n67ic0n67 Member Posts: 776

So what you're saying is that, you guys are all sold on a game that no one even knows anything about just because of a flashy trailer? I learned not to do that a long time ago.

I'm sort of with you a little bit. I am not sold on the game, but I am willing to give it a shot when it comes out. I have played the franchise since the beginning, like what I have seen so far and will give the latest installments (FFXIII included) a shot. If I like I'll keep playing if not ... more time to play Modern Warfare 2 ... or maybe Fallout: New Vegas at that point >.>. Both franchises being ones I like and in the same boat as the Final Fantasy franchise ... so yeah. I'll give it a shot for the pedigree, and in the mean time I'll stick with my initial statement: when the game comes out I'll let you know how it is.

Originally posted by ic0n67

I'm sort of with you a little bit. I am not sold on the game, but I am willing to give it a shot when it comes out. I have played the franchise since the beginning, like what I have seen so far and will give the latest installments (FFXIII included) a shot. If I like I'll keep playing if not ... more time to play Modern Warfare 2 ... or maybe Fallout: New Vegas at that point >.>. Both franchises being ones I like and in the same boat as the Final Fantasy franchise ... so yeah. I'll give it a shot for the pedigree, and in the mean time I'll stick with my initial statement: when the game comes out I'll let you know how it is.

Fair enough, that sounds a lot more reasonable. I was coming here in hope that I would find out a bit more about the game but I guess I'll have to wait :P

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332

I know enough to give a little insight.

The game will use left and right hand techniques,so that is different than any other game you have played.Square Enix is a creative developer they don't just copy other games,when you play their games it is a different beast.

I am never sold on a game before it is released but given Square's background and skills as a developer they deserve at least a trial or look see.

Adding to the combat will be meters,i am sure you are not used to using meters in games,usually just hotbar icons you mash away on.You have decisions to go for more damage or more accuracy and i assume these can be manipulated as it was in FFXI using food and gear that supports it.

FFXI was VERY dependent on accuracy witch i enjoyed because i tire of games and players that constantly ask what the best dps is,just play the game.In FF games you can go for all out dps but if you miss then i guess it is not so important now is it,i expect this same trend in FFXIV.

Of course FFXIV will offer sub jobs again as FFXI did ,but i  fell with the new no levels and on the fly job changing it will diminish the sub job importance.

Other than those little tidbits there is going to be some new type of crafting,some speculate it may be like the new grouped idea they introduced to FFXI,to witch i have no experience using,i have not played in about a year.

The part i am skeptical about is well of course the on the fly job changing but more so the actual game content and reason to play.I know their main focus is story/cinematics and quests through your guild.I would say myself and many others are tired of logging into games just to do boring quests,so we will have to wait and see what the game offers outside of that one area.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678

They've said they want to move away from the Tank/Healer/DPS (Holy Trinity) system, and make positioning important, slow down combat a bit so it is more tactical as well.  Sounds good in theory depending on the AI and other factors.

Looks like quests might be scalable in difficulty according to your personal preferences with the Guild Leve system, but this isn't clear.

Overall you'll have to check back.  I'm somewhat excited by the game, but we have few firm details and with ANY game implementation is everything.  Square usually does a good job though, so there's that going for it. 

Originally posted by Wizardry

I know enough to give a little insight.
    The game will use left and right hand techniques,so that is different than any other game you have played.Square Enix is a creative developer they don't just copy other games,when you play their games it is a different beast.
    I am never sold on a game before it is released but given Square's background and skills as a developer they deserve at least a trial or look see.
    Adding to the combat will be meters,i am sure you are not used to using meters in games,usually just hotbar icons you mash away on.You have decisions to go for more damage or more accuracy and i assume these can be manipulated as it was in FFXI using food and gear that supports it.
    FFXI was VERY dependent on accuracy witch i enjoyed because i tire of games and players that constantly ask what the best dps is,just play the game.In FF games you can go for all out dps but if you miss then i guess it is not so important now is it,i expect this same trend in FFXIV.
    Of course FFXIV will offer sub jobs again as FFXI did ,but i  fell with the new no levels and on the fly job changing it will diminish the sub job importance.
    Other than those little tidbits there is going to be some new type of crafting,some speculate it may be like the new grouped idea they introduced to FFXI,to witch i have no experience using,i have not played in about a year.
    The part i am skeptical about is well of course the on the fly job changing but more so the actual game content and reason to play.I know their main focus is story/cinematics and quests through your guild.I would say myself and many others are tired of logging into games just to do boring quests,so we will have to wait and see what the game offers outside of that one area.

That's what I like to hear! Personally I'm a huge fan(well, I used to be until FFXII) of the Final Fantasy single player games and they're always rich in lore and have spectacular stories which is the main reason why they're so popular. I applied for the beta so I can see if the game has any potential at all and if it suits my style, I'll definitely be reporting bugs and telling what I think should be improved if I like the game for what it is so far.

I have two weeks off so I don't really have anything to do, I hope I get accepted hehe :P

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

It's from square enix that's enough for me to know that it will be a good game.

Originally posted by bloodaxes

I don't know if I'm supposed to laugh or cry. I agree that Square has made great games in the past but after watching FF deteriorate starting with FFX they have proven that they don't always make great games.

Originally posted by Drachasor

They've said they want to move away from the Tank/Healer/DPS (Holy Trinity) system, and make positioning important, slow down combat a bit so it is more tactical as well.  Sounds good in theory depending on the AI and other factors.
    Looks like quests might be scalable in difficulty according to your personal preferences with the Guild Leve system, but this isn't clear.
    Overall you'll have to check back.  I'm somewhat excited by the game, but we have few firm details and with ANY game implementation is everything.  Square usually does a good job though, so there's that going for it. 

I like thinking outside of the box, I hope it's something like that. The other game I'm keeping an eye on right now(The Exiled Realm of Arborea) is very different too.

It would be great if FFXIV takes a bit of skill unlike all the faceroll MMOs today that are catered towards the masses of idiots who want to get everything without having to work for it. *cough* WoW *cough* Aion *cough*.

Sorry for the double post btw, this forum system sucks ass and I'm not completely used to it yet.

I don't know if I'm supposed to laugh or cry. I agree that Square has made great games in the past but after watching FF deteriorate starting with FFX they have proven that they don't always make great games.

That's your opinion after games like wow,ecc that started making solo to top easier then grouping games like ff xi started losing some subs (It still has diablo server full you can't play in it) because people started to depend more on soloing then partying to level.

I for one didn't thing level-sync and the watch tower quests were a bad idea, they are there when you don't have much time to waste on finding a group (can take on 3 hours doing nothing) or just because going in some lower level group and sync with them like the dunes that it's almost always full of new people around it made it easier to participate in groups and you ere even helping others leaving that horrible map xD

Before I left they have added the maze npc were you could create dungeons (I think) and would get rewards from them that still needed a group.

• ArcheusCrossArcheusCross Member Posts: 793

To be fair, thats your opinion, not fact. ;) Just to help you out there... others may not share your views... I see the Final Fantasies as getting better (though a few of them i like more than others obviously.. that's just the nature of being human) ... even with the divergence as in crystal chronicles or games that happen in invalice... the thing is Locien.. Square is trying new things on some things and others they are sticking to thier guns... and that's really a good thing if you think about it.

Seriously... they have my utter respect for trying new things as opposed to trying to be like everyone else and rip wow/eq/whatever off.

I would just give them a chance and try it out when it comes out. Good luck to you. :)

"Do not fret! Your captain is about to enter Valhalla!" - General Beatrix of Alexandria

"The acquisition of knowledge is of use to the intellect, for nothing can be loved or hated without first being known." - Leo da Vinci

Want to add while I personally didn't like FFX because of the blizzball and a bit on the combat it still had a great story, final fantasy x-2 while it was nothing special it had the best turn based combat square enix ever did and would love if they made it in other games and final fantasy 12 was their first game that mixed some features with other games (final fantasy tactics + vagrant story).

While it's not for everyone I and many many others liked it a lot (www.gamespot.com/ps2/rpg/finalfantasy12/index.html there are a lot more positive reviews then negative)

They have tried new steps on their games but they still haven't fail to satisfy me an many others that keep on buying them.

• ozerinxozerinx Member UncommonPosts: 200

If you never tried ff11 you shouldn't be in the hype about this game.... But being a veteran FF11 subscriber I am really curious at what direction this game will go. I will most likely sign up for beta or follow peoples reviews and wait for game release to decide if i want to buy the game or not. If it is too much like FF11 with not much innovation i doubt i will play it.

• Hrayr2148Hrayr2148 Member Posts: 649
    Originally posted by ozerinx

If you never tried ff11 you shouldn't be in the hype about this game.... But being a veteran FF11 subscriber I am really curious at what direction this game will go. I will most likely sign up for beta or follow peoples reviews and wait for game release to decide if i want to buy the game or not. If it is too much like FF11 with not much innovation i doubt i will play it.

FFXI had a 500k subscriber base for close to 6 years.  It may still do.  The game was released before WoW and has survived after WoW.  There is a market for it comprised of die hard FF fans, die hard FFXI veterans, and new mmo community members looking for something different than they're currently playing.

For someone like me, who played FFXI for 2 years, stopped and played WoW, then came back to FFXI for another year, my heart remains with FFXI.  The 500k people that stayed with the game through the years want nothing more than to get a similar feeling in FFXIV.  Those that didn't like ffxi left a long time ago.

I think it would be unfair for SquareEnix to take FFXIV in a direction towards WoW instead of FFXI.  It would be a betrayal of the players that loved and stayed with FFXI through the years.

TLDR:  Some of us want nothing more than to have FFXIV be a "better" version of FFXI, where FFXI was great to begin with.

• toddzetoddze Member UncommonPosts: 2,150

i agree with both of you. For me The FF series deteriorated because of the setting. They seem to have moved from a fantasy setting to more of a sci-fi setting. Which I personally do not like. I am sure there good games, but they just moved away from what I like. Every time a see something with a gun fighting something with a sword, all i see is that scene from indiana jones where the arab guy is showing off his sword skills, swinging his sword like an expert. Then indiana jones just casually pulls out his pistol and shoots the sword dude and walks off. 

Anyways back on topic Square Enix makes quality games. They may not appeal to everyone, and with the wow wannabies that are plaguing the MMO genre right now SE is my last hope that they will deliver more of an older style MMO, where the focus is on community, team work, story, and a living virtual world.

Waiting for:EQ-Next, ArcheAge (not so much anymore)
    Now Playing: N/A
    Worst MMO: FFXIV
    Favorite MMO: FFXI

• swalker23swalker23 Member Posts: 266

lol Indiana Jones and the sword guy.

Originally posted by toddze

Anyways back on topic Square Enix makes quality games. They may not appeal to everyone, and with the wow wannabies that are plaguing the MMO genre right now SE is my last hope that they will deliver more of an older style MMO, where the focus is on community, team work, story, and a living virtual world.

True, a lot of the new MMORPGs today try to mimic WoW too hard. But there's another game you might wanna keep an eye out for if you don't like WoW and that is The Exiled Realm of Arborea, I got to focus group test it and it's absolutely amazing.

I still hope I can get into the FFXIV beta as well since I've got pleny of times on my hands and I want to see what it's like. If it turns out to be something good or decent I don't mind spending my time reporting bugs and crap as well to be honest.

• StuckovStuckov Member UncommonPosts: 101

If you didnt like FFXI then I would suggest you stay away from FFXIV simple as that!

I actually hope you DONT get into FFXIV beta as you would be taking the place of someone who really cares about the game and will actually enjoy and try to make the game better.

• renzolrenzol Member Posts: 29

Do any MMORPG's out there actually have anything special about them? Final Fantasy in its self is special my good friend :)

No but on a serious note other than the graphics so far you cant really say, wait till release is your best bet.

oh and yeah im with Stuckov on the beta subject.

• WSIMikeWSIMike Member Posts: 5,564

Originally posted by ic0n67

Fair enough, that sounds a lot more reasonable. I was coming here in hope that I would find out a bit more about the game but I guess I'll have to wait :P

Go Here, and Here, look around and you'll have access to all the information we do.

Speaking for myself, "cautious optimism" is how I'd describe my state with the game right now. Being a long-time player and fan of FFXI, I'm hopeful that SE will "strike gold" a second time for me and that I'll enjoy FFXIV as much. I'm a huge fan of starting out brand-new in a vast, strange new world, and SE certainly is great at crafting those.

There are aspects of it that I'm "iffy" on, but I'm going to wait and see how those pan out. If there's one thing I learned about SE in playing FFXI, it's that no matter how much you think you know what they're doing, they're almost guaranteed to come out of left field with something you wouldn't have expected; also, that they don't do anything half-way.

"If you just step away for a sec you will clearly see all the pot holes in the road,
    and the cash shop selling asphalt..."
    - Mimzel on F2P/Cash Shops

This discussion has been closed.