Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Definitely worth a try!

Allods Online™ is  by far  the best F2P MMO I've ever tried ... hell, it's better than half the P2P crap I've bought over the years (*cough Vanguard cough*). 

The graphics are crisp and vibrant ... they definitely compete with current P2P mmo's.  True, some of the character animation looks a little wonky, but it's a solid package.

The setting, backstory and lore take some getting used to, since you're basically thrown into an already existing and fleshed-out world from the popular Russian Allods (aka. Rage of Mages) franchise ... but it's manageable.  The polish and fun-factor that exists already in CBT is enough to ensure, for me anyway, that I'll be here for the foreseeable future.  :)

Give Allods Online™ a shot if you're looking for something different.

Comments

• ShadowJ212ShadowJ212 Member Posts: 5

Be aware, you can get BSOD'd (blue screen of death). Not only that, whole servers can lag out altogether. Happened to me during CB out of the blue, no pun intended.

• AeroangelAeroangel Member UncommonPosts: 498

From what I've played I definitely agree so far. I've tried tons of F2P mmorpg's and this has been the best for this kind of MMO (it beats the pants off of Runes of Magic, Perfect World, Cabal Online, etc. games like that IMO). But I'm not a fair judge yet, because I  haven't seen past level 20 :P. But really if it can pull off what I've heard about (mounts, flying ship battles, 25 man raids, open world pvp, etc.) even decently well then I will probably be in love, and think it's one of the best MMO's I've played even considering all the pay to play ones I've played. Well even if those end game features are broken and choppy I will still consider it one of the best F2P MMO's lol.

--------------------------
    Playing:
    FFXIV, TERA, LoL, and HoTS
    My Rig:
    GPU: GeForce GTX 770, CPU: i7-4790K, Memory: 16 GB RAM

• WickedjellyWickedjelly Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,990

I wouldn't say it is better than Runes of Magic outside of graphics, but it is one of the best f2p games I've encountered.  I am impressed with the game.  Definitely a title worth trying out at least. 

Some of these other companies running or coming out with p2p models better start getting their act together, or they're going to be over run by the ones supporting these f2p models if they start churning out quality f2p titles like Runes of Magic and Allods.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

I don't know... I like the music (once it shows up) and the graphics have a nice style (even though they are in matters of technology used somewhat outdated). But all in all, up to lvl 10 it was very generic to me. Except of two races they are pretty standard as are the quests and about everything else. And it got only one starting zone for each faction.

I guess for a free 2 play game it ain't bad, but I doubt I'll play it for long anyway. But if you like the setting and got no other MMORPG to play it's not bad I guess.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

Originally posted by maji

I don't know... I like the music (once it shows up) and the graphics have a nice style (even though they are in matters of technology used somewhat outdated). But all in all, up to lvl 10 it was very generic to me. Except of two races they are pretty standard as are the quests and about everything else. And it got only one starting zone for each faction.

I guess for a free 2 play game it ain't bad, but I doubt I'll play it for long anyway. But if you like the setting and got no other MMORPG to play it's not bad I guess.

Yeah that is true my music doesn't play all the time and I think they need to add audio for some of the emotes and stuff as well. I also agree that it is pretty generic in the leveling process, but I like that it has like a built in quest helper and everything and I think that some of the quests are somewhat interesting and challenging compared to other MMORPGs. I do give this game a lot of credit for the opening tutorial thing it reminded me a lot of Oblivion, the only thing that sucks is that it was all exciting and cool and then you get thrown straight into boring generic leveling.

But like I said earlier, from what I heard after level 20 you get thrown into these open pvp zones, and then at lvl 30 and up you get to partake in raids and ship battles, so if that's any good it will be an awesome game I think.

@ Wickedjelly: I'm really curious why you think Runes of Magic is better? I haven't played in a long time, but last time it was pretty boring, on the low side quality wise, and it seemed more like a generic asian grinder underneath it all.

Playing:
    My Rig:

• marcuslmmarcuslm Member UncommonPosts: 263

I played in the first CBT and I am playing in the second CBT now.  I agree with the OP. I think Allods is better than any other F2P I have ever encountered (and I have played them all pretty much). I also think it beats some of the current P2P games as well.

It has a lot of polish, especially for F2P. The textures, the UI, the sound all remind me of a P2P rather than a F2P. I personally love the graphics. They are very crisp and have great style although probably too cartoony for some people's taste. I really like the design in general. The cities are pretty amazing I think. Cool architecture. The races are interesting and the environments are nice.

I am not saying it doesn't need some work, but that is what beta tests are for. I noticed the music issue myself. I also think they have issues with damage calculations, it seems pretty erratic. 

I plan to keep playing and I recommend it to anyone who has not tried it.

Marcus

• EzhaeEzhae Member UncommonPosts: 735

For a F2P game it actually has some interesting mechanics and variety between classes, sure there are bugs, sure it can feel a bit clunky at least at early levels where your damage varies between 8 and 80 and sure it is quite a typical EQ-WoW-whatever else clone but among most of recent asian grinder like f2ps it shines out with its playability and slightly altered mechanics system.

Hoping that till Open Beta/Live they will fix most of annoying things like bugged quests, party/raid ui refreshing, the bane of all mmos - pet pathing and sound effects not always triggering. It has some potential but considering its 12mil $ project you could expect it wouldnt be just a basic engine rip. Seen P2P games comming out that were worse than this.

Originally posted by Aeroangel

@ Wickedjelly: I'm really curious why you think Runes of Magic is better? I haven't played in a long time, but last time it was pretty boring, on the low side quality wise, and it seemed more like a generic asian grinder underneath it all.

Because Runes just has more to offer at this juncture than Allods.  This isn't a slam against Allods.  Really isn't surprising considering how much longer Runes has been out than Allods.

More armor variety, more group gameplay content (i. e. dungeons, bounty hunt quests, etc.), better class development, more in depth abilities to "tune" armor, more in depth crafting system, etc.

Now two areas Allods does excel in over Runes is graphics and quests.  While Runes has a main story in addition to a bunch of side quests there are times you end up having to either grind or do repeatables while in Allods, least so far, there have been more than enough available quests to level so there hasn't been a need to do repeatables unless you want to earn rep points.

I'm sorry but when I think of asian grinder games like Last Chaos and Mu come to mind not a game like Runes.  It still has its drawbacks and I believe given enough time and the proper backing that eventually a game like Allods could have more to offer than Runes since the biggest reason, in my opinion, Runes has more to offer is it's simply been out a hell of a lot longer than Allods.

Am I a huge fan of Runes?  No, haven't played the game in some time but all I was saying is while I'm having a lot of fun with this game if I had to give an honest assessment of which game has more to offer or available for a new player I would have to say RoM.  Not trying to slight this game in the least but that's my honest opinion.

1. For god's sake mmo gamers, enough with the analogies. They're unnecessary and your comparisons are terrible, dissimilar, and illogical.

2. To posters feeling the need to state how f2p really isn't f2p: Players understand the concept. You aren't privy to some secret the rest are missing. You're embarrassing yourself.

3. Yes, Cpt. Obvious, we're not industry experts. Now run along and let the big people use the forums for their purpose.

Originally posted by Wickedjelly

Because Runes just has more to offer at this juncture than Allods.  This isn't a slam against Allods.  Really isn't surprising considering how much longer Runes has been out than Allods.

More armor variety, more group gameplay content (i. e. dungeons, bounty hunt quests, etc.), better class development, more in depth abilities to "tune" armor, more in depth crafting system, etc.

Now two areas Allods does excel in over Runes is graphics and quests.  While Runes has a main story in addition to a bunch of side quests there are times you end up having to either grind or do repeatables while in Allods, least so far, there have been more than enough available quests to level so there hasn't been a need to do repeatables unless you want to earn rep points.

I'm sorry but when I think of asian grinder games like Last Chaos and Mu come to mind not a game like Runes.  It still has its drawbacks and I believe given enough time and the proper backing that eventually a game like Allods could have more to offer than Runes since the biggest reason, in my opinion, Runes has more to offer is it's simply been out a hell of a lot longer than Allods.

Am I a huge fan of Runes?  No, haven't played the game in some time but all I was saying is while I'm having a lot of fun with this game if I had to give an honest assessment of which game has more to offer or available for a new player I would have to say RoM.  Not trying to slight this game in the least but that's my honest opinion.

No worries I see what you are saying now. I was playing RoM for a while last year, but I guess to me I just felt like Runes of Magic was just trying so hard to look and act like World of Warcraft, but it fell short of this and just made me want to play WoW. If I recall correctly the dungeons and plenty of other things were kind of buggy and unpolished. The reason I say it reminds me of an asian grinder was because the one thing it didn't have that was like a direct copy of WoW was the mobs, and those seemed to be from any generic asian game,  you usually had to do repeatable quests to level, plus you essentially had to level to max level twice, well you didn't but still felt pretty grindy and too much of a failed mutant-Korean-WoW-wanna-be to me. Maybe I was just in WoW fangirl mode when I was playing, or if I had never played WoW I might have liked it, I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure it was almost like an asian grinder that puked all over azeroth... I mean the classes had similar abilities, interface was nearly the same, there was a place just like goldshire and stormwind.... 

Anyway the thing I like about Allods so far from what I can see like you mentioned the graphics and story, and when I play, it feels distinctly like it's own game to me. If the pvp, raids, astral ship battles are decent at all, and the company running it has a responsible cash shop and provides continuous updates for professions, pve, pvp, etc. I think it will turn out to be a very nice game especially for a F2P. 

Playing:
    My Rig:

I would agree that ROM has more content, and I agree with your assessment that it is really just a matter of how long it has been out. Technically Allods isn't out at all, it is still in closed beta. 

As far as production value I think Allods is in a league of it's own when it comes to F2P MMORPG's. In my opinion, Allods looks and feels like  a P2P game. I tried ROM, but it just felt generic. The models, animations, textures, music, etc were nothing special and felt low budget. I could certainly tell I was playing a F2P game. Not to knock ROM for what it is. I appreciate the fact that it is a F2P that actually has a western feel to it. 

I guess what I am trying to say is that I feel like Allods is raising the bar on what we expect from a F2P game.  I think with more time Allods will be truly awesome game. They just need time to work the kinks out, add more content and some other features we expect like mounts, etc. I hope this is the start of a trend, that trend being higher production values for F2P MMORPG's.

Originally posted by marcuslm

I would agree that ROM has more content, and I agree with your assessment that it is really just a matter of how long it has been out. Technically Allods isn't out at all, it is still in closed beta. 

As far as production value I think Allods is in a league of it's own when it comes to F2P MMORPG's. In my opinion, Allods looks and feels like  a P2P game. I tried ROM, but it just felt generic. The models, animations, textures, music, etc were nothing special and felt low budget. I could certainly tell I was playing a F2P game. Not to knock ROM for what it is. I appreciate the fact that it is a F2P that actually has a western feel to it. 

I guess what I am trying to say is that I feel like Allods is raising the bar on what we expect from a F2P game.  I think with more time Allods will be truly awesome game. They just need time to work the kinks out, add more content and some other features we expect like mounts, etc. I hope this is the start of a trend, that trend being higher production values for F2P MMORPG's.

I just posted my response the moment before you did :P but I totally agree with your post. RoM was one of the only F2P game that I actually played for more than just a couple hours, but in the end the lack of quality and trying to be like WoW (in my opinion) just made me want to go back to P2P games. So far Allods feels like a quality product albeit a little boring on the level from 4-20 anyway. 

Playing:
    My Rig:

I just posted my response the moment before you did :P but I totally agree with your post. RoM was one of the only F2P game that I actually played for more than just a couple hours, but in the end the lack of quality and trying to be like WoW (in my opinion) just made me want to go back to P2P games. So far Allods feels like a quality product albeit a little boring on the level from 4-20 anyway. 

Haha. We were probably typing at the very same time! I think you made an important point in your post when you said  that Allods "feels distinctly like it's own game". Although similar in style to WoW, it doesn't feel like a cheap WoW knock-off.

I also agree that in it's current state it can be a little boring. Especially some of the collection quests where you need to collect like 15 wolf hides for example. That can take some significant time and get repetitive since there are usually several others running around chasing down the very wolves you are hunting and not every wolf will drop one.  Again, I think this is the kind of stuff that just needs tweaking and will hopefully get worked out before it's release.

Maybe I was just in WoW fangirl mode when I was playing, or if I had never played WoW I might have liked it, I'm not sure, but I'm pretty sure it was almost like an asian grinder that puked all over azeroth... I mean the classes had similar abilities, interface was nearly the same, there was a place just like goldshire and stormwind.... 

Nah, it isn't just you.  I felt the same way about RoM since I played WoW for quite some time beforehand.  Much as I hate using the term normally because you see it thrown around about every mmorpg under the sun RoM was just too much like WoW, which considering I was burned out on Warcraft wasn't a good thing to me.

I think if I had never played WoW  I probably could have really gotten into the game but since I had; RoM just came off like a cheaper imitation of the real thing.

...and I agree this game, Allods,  has a lot of potential.

I hope this is the start of a trend, that trend being higher production values for F2P MMORPG's.

I'm with you on that sentiment.  I'm tired of companies expecting a monthly fee for half assed products and/or providing zero customer service.  It's nice to see some f2p games start reaching a level of quality that those used to p2p could consider turning to them if p2p mmo companies don't want to wise up. 

• faxnadufaxnadu Member UncommonPosts: 940

playing it what i can and its enjoyable. dont refer to statemenet that its clone of something, everyhting is.

its new and fresh and change form old landscapes. worth a try,

cheers

• astrob0yastrob0y Member Posts: 702

One of the better betas Ive been in. The game play is really fun, we have seen it before, and becuse of the art work I do find myself attach to the world.

And its funny that there is users that now days believes that a Beta is a game that is gonna work flawless. Were do you guys come from? 

I7@4ghz, 5970@ 1 ghz/5ghz, water cooled||Former setups Byggblogg||Byggblogg 2|| Msi Wind u100

• JpizzleJpizzle Member Posts: 371

I like to describe it to friends as “Nothing revolutionary done, but things done right”

I’ve only played to lvl 10 on both sides so far, and while it’s very typical of the casual 2 faction games, some aspects (like spell effects, character models, and NPC reactions in & out of combat) are just very pleasing to me.

I also like the balance between campy & brooding. It seems not to take itself to serious, but also isn’t a giant joke.

As far as performance and stability, for a game w/ 100-300 people in one small (starting) zone, I’ve had zero problems, and I’m playing on Very High graphics.

I really have to give this game a lot of credit based on recent years releases. I doubt I’d buy a box version of Allods, but for something that’s $0 and $0 a month, it’s got more polish and engaging mechanics then games that do charge $$ and have (and will be soon) coming out.

I really feel like Allods is going to prosper by good word-of-mouth. Something we haven’t seen in the industry for a few years. They haven’t created something that was hyping itself to win over everyone… but they aren’t raping wallets like it is either.

Originally posted by Jpizzle

I like to describe it to friends as “Nothing revolutionary done, but things done right”
    I’ve only played to lvl 10 on both sides so far, and while it’s very typical of the casual 2 faction games, some aspects (like spell effects, character models, and NPC reactions in & out of combat) are just very pleasing to me.
    I also like the balance between campy & brooding. It seems not to take itself to serious, but also isn’t a giant joke.
    As far as performance and stability, for a game w/ 100-300 people in one small (starting) zone, I’ve had zero problems, and I’m playing on Very High graphics.
    I really have to give this game a lot of credit based on recent years releases. I doubt I’d buy a box version of Allods, but for something that’s $0 and $0 a month, it’s got more polish and engaging mechanics then games that do charge $$ and have (and will be soon) coming out.
    I really feel like Allods is going to prosper by good word-of-mouth. Something we haven’t seen in the industry for a few years. They haven’t created something that was hyping itself to win over everyone… but they aren’t raping wallets like it is either.

I agree. I think “Nothing revolutionary done, but things done right” best describes it. The really positive thing is that the art work, the space/fantasy mix, and the lore make it original enough to not feel like more of the same. I think this game will only get better as the kinks are worked out and more content is added. I think you make a good point as well, there has been very little hype over this game. It's strange that t hasn't gotten more attention, but I think it's a good thing. Over hyped games tend to disappoint. 

• dzoni87dzoni87 Member Posts: 541
    Originally posted by astrob0y

One of the better betas Ive been in. The game play is really fun, we have seen it before, and becuse of the art work I do find myself attach to the world.
    And its funny that there is users that now days believes that a Beta is a game that is gonna work flawless. Were do you guys come from? 

Ppl didnt learned that in 15 years so far... they wont learn it now either.

Main MMO at the moment: Guild Wars 2
    Waiting for: Pathfinder Online

• delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Originally posted by dzoni87

Originally posted by astrob0y

Ppl didnt learned that in 15 years so far... they wont learn it now either.

More often than not I've seen games release just like the Beta, and a lot don't improve for at least a year !!

• wowfan1996wowfan1996 Member UncommonPosts: 719

Moreover, US/EU CBTs are based on Russian OBT that started almost 3 months ago. Russian CS was opened at the same time (they began selling items for RL money even before there was any endgame content whatsoever) and there's still no ETA on "release date."

Since everything that concerns developers and publishers of f2p projects is the flow of money from CS, this game can as well stay "open beta" forever.

MMORPG genre is dead. Long live MMOCS (Massively Multiplayer Online Cash Shop).