Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The kinds of people who play EVE

KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

I've met people with very interesting backgrounds during my time in EVe, and I thought you might find this small cross section of people who apply and join our  corporation entertaining.

1) I'm a 23 year old student from Canada, studying History and Psychology at the Undergraduate level. My long-term career goals are in the military, hopefully as an Officer with an Armoured Reconnaissance Unit.

2) In RL, I am a PhD candidate in History studying late-Medieval and Renaissance Venice with an emphasis on economy, culture and institutions. I am interested in the voluntary nature of specific contractual relationships as an ethical alternative to the coersive nature of the state. (this went on for quite a while - Kyle)

3) IRL, I'm a 23 year old male college student working towards a human biology degree.

4) IRL, the name's XXX XXXXXXX, 22 years old. I'm a grad student in Tampere University of Technology studying industrial engineering and management. Being in Finland

5)  I have been playing eve on and off since 2005 but took a break for about 3 years to finish Medical School and start my Residency.

6) IRL I am a web based application programmer

7) In the real world, my name is XXXX and I am a semi-old (32) college senior studying mechanical engineering.

8)  I'm a UK based interweb engineer, musician and wannabe inventor (or day-dreamer) in my normal life.

9)  i am from Germany, age 34, profession webmaster - designer - developer

And one of my personal favorite

10)  - 21 years old and I live in Finland, unemployed, former welder for STX, shipyards, Half alcoholic with too much spare time, greedy and a selfish bastard

In my own case I'm older than Methuselah, work as a project manager in the financial industry, and am no where nearly as smart as these younger folks who keep our corporation going strong.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Comments

• JuJutsuJuJutsu Member Posts: 331

Looks like an interesting Corporation. BTW if you're just older than Methuselah you're a young whipper-snapper from where I sit  :)

• SimielSimiel Member Posts: 149

hahaha, what is this trying to prove?

• HYPERI0NHYPERI0N Member Posts: 3,515
    Originally posted by Simiel

hahaha, what is this trying to prove?

Does he have to prove anything?

Another great example of Moore's Law. Give people access to that much space (developers and users alike) and they'll find uses for it that you can never imagine. "640K ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates 1981

• 133794m3r133794m3r Member Posts: 173
  • MalcanisMalcanis Member UncommonPosts: 3,297
    Originally posted by 133794m3r

i think this sums it up pretty well.

www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/208-Eve-Online

Wow, that's really edgy and original - and yet insightful too. Thanks for posting that, I dont think any of us have seen it before.

Give me liberty or give me lasers

• TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547

Why did a Bestower blow something up?

• batolemaeusbatolemaeus Member CommonPosts: 2,061

Originally posted by Kyleran
    I've met people with very interesting backgrounds during my time in EVe, and I thought you might find this small cross section of people who apply and join our  corporation entertaining.

It's similar in our alliance, but a lot more diverse when it comes to nationalities. I think there are few countries that aren't represented in our alliance right now.

Originally posted by JuJutsu

Looks like an interesting Corporation. BTW if you're just older than Methuselah you're a young whipper-snapper from where I sit  :)

Well thanks for making me feel better about my upcoming birthday :)

My potted history:

Born in the Arabian Gulf, moved to England in 1979, grew up in the Yorkshire Dales, did a Physics dregee (rather badly), drifted into technical support work, grew to hate doing technical support with an intense, obsessive passion, worked in a truckstop as a short order cook, went back to tech support, spent 2 years as a "white van man" doing plasma screen installation and repair work, then sold contact lenses for a couple of years, and have been working for logistics for nearly 2 years. In between I have lived all over the UK. I have been in love, I have been so poor that I could not afford food, I have been rich enough to buy a HDTV with a weeks' disposable income, I have had to leave the country for a short while (now returned). I still owe the university library for a copy of Stephen Baxter's Anti Ice. 

Now I live quietly and single with only a small overdraft and play EvE. EvE is quieter than real life, and I'm allowed to solve my problems in it with heavy beam lasers. I wish I'd had those when i was in my van.

• ChlodwigChlodwig Member Posts: 150

Yeah, you'll find a very colorful collection of people playing EvE.

Best line in an app I had to read was something like "I have a degree in BA and wanted to try my skills in a game and corp that's allegedly pretty much like real companies".

Needless to say I didn't hire him. Fucking up the corp's budget is my job, I need no BA dropout for that! Also, I was kinda worried he might be after my job...

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

I wasn't trying to prove anything, just share a cross profile of the more interesting people in my current corp.

We've got a lot of regular Joes too, from all parts of the US and Europe who are just making a living and playing EVE when they have some time.

Maybe it was just an attempt to post something interesting about EVE that wouldn't get needlessly trolled, but I forgot, this is MMORPG.com.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• qazymanqazyman Member Posts: 1,785

One of the things I've really come to enjoy about the game is having to work with people from many backgrounds/nationalities to get things done. The diversity, combined with the fact that so much of the game is player driven, adds a great deal to the game play IMO.

• rashherorashhero Member UncommonPosts: 510

I believe people think he's clever because he has an accent....well to those who don't share his nationality. ;)

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by rashhero

I believe people think he's clever because he has an accent....well to those who don't share his nationality. ;)

Yes i recognised his accent almost instantly..   its called prattish...  if its something their not interested in, or dont understand, then it must be wrong. because they know it all, and they never make mistakes etc etc.. im pretty sure the guy hates mmo's in general..

• HYPERI0NHYPERI0N Member Posts: 3,515
    Originally posted by Phry

Originally posted by rashhero

Yes i recognised his accent almost instantly..   its called prattish...  if its something their not interested in, or dont understand, then it must be wrong. because they know it all, and they never make mistakes etc etc.. im pretty sure the guy hates mmo's in general..

He does by his own admission.

Also in that review he openly admited that he didnt touch the group content, in a MMO thats mainly about group stuff. Overall he reviwed the PvE solo content of the game and at the time he made that review he got it pretty much right.

What most EvE haters forget when they use this review is that most EvE fanbois agree with it... Its a pretty accurate review of the single player aspect of EvE.

Another great example of Moore's Law. Give people access to that much space (developers and users alike) and they'll find uses for it that you can never imagine. "640K ought to be enough for anybody" - Bill Gates 1981

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

A game made by programmers for programmers. The game has a steep learning curve not to mention you need a world of patience to play. It isn't for everyone hence why the reason this game is not for the masses.

• QuailmanQuailman Member Posts: 165

I like #10's honesty.

Consume. Be silent. Die.

Originally posted by HYPERI0N

What most EvE haters forget when they use this review is that most EvE fanbois agree with it... Its a pretty accurate review of the single player aspect of EvE.

If you wanted to give Yahtzee more credit than he probably deserves, his review could almost be viewed as a parody of the standard "I played EvE like a standard grinder MMO for 2 hours and therefore feel qualified to hate it and publically denounce every aspect of it" post we see so many of in here.