Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Reactions are coming to the surface....

2»

Comments

• TheDarzinTheDarzin Member Posts: 219
    Originally posted by OBK1

Originally posted by Silok

No worries, my skin is thick enough. I was mainly reffering to the feel to the world. As far as game mechanics go it is clearly a rip off of WoW but with some small inventions of its own, like the study system...love it or hate it.
    The rubber banding is supposed to be fixed today, haven't checked yet. I might be positive due to the fact that I actually liked WoW but didn't like the setting, this is, as you say, very much WoW but with a setting I like better. We will see how it will develop, I must say I am surprised I did expect the next David Allen game to be completely different to this!

Well even that they stole it from EVE Online..

As you might see, I do play Eve...anyway name ONE game that does not steal from other games? What makes this game looks more like a WoW clone than all the othe clones is probably the UI which is more or less copied straight over. Anyway if you take ingredients from different games and put in another that is no more stealing than everyone else does in this business, and is exactly what WoW did, don't come here and say that WoW was not an Everquest clone (I do miss my old EQ, sob sob).

Still, I want to wait a month or so to judge this game, hard to judge after a few days of playing.

WoW wasn't an Everquest clone. WoW was a MMO version of Diablo set in the Warcraft universe. How's that?

• OBK1OBK1 Member Posts: 637

Ok, I might even agree with that Diablo statement :-)

• HydrobluntHydroblunt Member Posts: 282
    Originally posted by TheDarzin

WoW wasn't an Everquest clone. WoW was a MMO version of Diablo set in the Warcraft universe. How's that?

Are you serious?  Do yourself a favor and read up on WoW development, particularly the two founders, who were top Everquest players.  They specifically state that creating WoW was Everquest redone with key tweaks to make it more appealing to the masses.  For Christ's sake, the class design in WoW is almost a carbon copy of Everquest's.

Playing: EvE, Warhammer free unlimited trial, Allods Online
    Played: Anarchy Online, WoW, Warhammer, AoC, Ryzom. Aion
    Strongly Recommend: Ryzom, EvE, Allods Online

• majimaji Member UncommonPosts: 2,091

The biggest reason why people bash Alganon is, because it's GUI looks similiar to that of WoW. That's it. If the AI would have a slightly different color sheme and maybe some ornaments here and there or looking glassy or whatnot, people wouldn't complain that much. In matters of game mechanics there are dozens of games out there that are as much as a copy of WoW as Alganon is. But when people see a screenshot they don't see the mechanics, they see the GUI and the world. And upon that they base their opinion.

Is the basic opinion "why try to create a new UI that might not work well when we can use one that works" wrong? Nope, it ain't. Creating a new one that works better than those we have seen before would be ideal, but about noone does that. So taking one that is there and changing it according to your needs makes sense. The Alganon dev team probably expected too much from the people though, when they thought the average player is capable to have an opinion that is based on more than the first look. So, they should have changed the UI in matters of graphics, while keeping the stuff at the same place. Then it wouldn't have looked similiar (while it actually still would be about the same), and players wouldn't have complained that much. Though of course the Alganon dev team did a lot wrong themselves (IE not polishing the game that it looks much better on the first look).

And about the game having problems on release: old news is old. Which MMORPG doesn't?

I won't buy the game either, simply because I'm bored of generic MMORPGs that deliver new stuff only in small doses. But the bashing is still just immature, because other games are as much as a WoW clone as Alganon, and had as many release problems as Alganon as well.

Let's play Fallen Earth (blind, 300 episodes)

Let's play Guild Wars 2 (blind, 45 episodes)

• HolgranthHolgranth Member Posts: 380
    Originally posted by maji

The biggest reason why people bash Alganon is, because it's GUI looks similiar to that of WoW. That's it. If the AI would have a slightly different color sheme and maybe some ornaments here and there or looking glassy or whatnot, people wouldn't complain that much. In matters of game mechanics there are dozens of games out there that are as much as a copy of WoW as Alganon is. But when people see a screenshot they don't see the mechanics, they see the GUI and the world. And upon that they base their opinion.
    Is the basic opinion "why try to create a new UI that might not work well when we can use one that works" wrong? Nope, it ain't. Creating a new one that works better than those we have seen before would be ideal, but about noone does that. So taking one that is there and changing it according to your needs makes sense. The Alganon dev team probably expected too much from the people though, when they thought the average player is capable to have an opinion that is based on more than the first look. So, they should have changed the UI in matters of graphics, while keeping the stuff at the same place. Then it wouldn't have looked similiar (while it actually still would be about the same), and players wouldn't have complained that much. Though of course the Alganon dev team did a lot wrong themselves (IE not polishing the game that it looks much better on the first look).
    And about the game having problems on release: old news is old. Which MMORPG doesn't?
    I won't buy the game either, simply because I'm bored of generic MMORPGs that deliver new stuff only in small doses. But the bashing is still just immature, because other games are as much as a WoW clone as Alganon, and had as many release problems as Alganon as well.

In my opinion you are dead wrong. I think the UI is the most widely bashed because it is the most obvious thing and because they copy MINUETE details like the scrolling background artwork on the talents pane.

However its just the tip of the ice berg as far as copying WoW goes, same talents system, often same talents PEROID in some classes, same weapons skill system, same questing system, same skills, same abilitys

Dem hibbies! Dey be wrong!

• Originally posted by maji

In my opinion, you are bashing people for bashing a game without knowing exactly why. It is not simply because UI. The game has no content. Classes are broken. Skills missing. It is just a shell and it asked for a retail price and monthly sub fee. It is not even in beta condition. It is more just alpha build. The "we are an indie company and we ran out of money" just don't cut it. There are more reasons, but thats what I can think of atm.

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

In matters of game mechanics there are dozens of games out there that are as much as a copy of WoW as Alganon is. But when people see a screenshot they don't see the mechanics, they see the GUI and the world. And upon that they base their opinion.

Name one. Seriously, name one single solitary game which has copied WoW's game mechanics to the extent that Alganon has, with its classes, skills, talents, crafting, stats, and combat mechanics.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by Banquetto

In matters of game mechanics there are dozens of games out there that are as much as a copy of WoW as Alganon is. But when people see a screenshot they don't see the mechanics, they see the GUI and the world. And upon that they base their opinion.

Name one. Seriously, name one single solitary game which has copied WoW's game mechanics to the extent that Alganon has, with its classes, skills, talents, crafting, stats, and combat mechanics.

Why should such matter in the least? I'm always amazed and amused at the extent that many of you waste time hammering on Alganon.  But I must say that I've met quite a few people who are now playing the game, who had never even heard of the game, until you guys insisted on starting all of these various troll threads...

So for that, many thanks.

Its not a game for everyone, and QOL has never stated that it is or would be.  I enjoy some aspects(the Dawning, the community, and the active GM/Dev presence) in spite of its current limitations.  If you don't, then find a game that you do enjoy.

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • gnomad1gnomad1 Member Posts: 151
    Originally posted by Gabby-air

I was issued a warning for calling someone a fanboy in this thread, are these alganon fans really sinking to such a low? they have to ban people to make there  game sound good, go figure...

Sounds just like the sycophants for Deceit-n-Lie and Dork-n-Fail.

If you can't win with truth and logic then try to get threads locked and people banned.

Problem is that they have willing accomplices in some of the mods that don't seem able to comprehend what is written. Maybe MMORPG should require potential mods to produce proof that they have a decent grasp of the English language and are over 21 y.o.  before becoming mods. Additionally if there are numerous examples against a given mod showing bias, then he should be fired immediately

"If you were as smart as you think you are, you would realize that you are an idiot"

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037
    Originally posted by Wraithone 

Why should such matter in the least? I'm always amazed and amused at the extent that many of you waste time hammering on Alganon.  But I must say that I've met quite a few people who are now playing the game, who had never even heard of the game, until you guys insisted on starting all of these various troll threads...

They had never even heard of the game.. yet they just happened to be reading the "Alganon - General Discussion" forum?

Yeah, right.

• WraithoneWraithone Member RarePosts: 3,806
    Originally posted by Banquetto

Originally posted by Wraithone 

They had never even heard of the game.. yet they just happened to be reading the "Alganon - General Discussion" forum?

Yeah, right.

You've never used the quick list to check out games, or looked at forums of games you aren't familiar with? Believe what you wish, its really no concern to me...<shrug>

"If you can't kill it, don't make it mad."
  • someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088
    Originally posted by Nergle

Man, I hate to say this but I won a beta pass from here and have only played once after they fix the Eula agreement click bug.

Lol, Im very curious about what that bug does :)

• TheDarzinTheDarzin Member Posts: 219
    Originally posted by Delusive

Originally posted by TheDarzin

There are indeed problems, but to my own surprise I sort of like the game so far. The study idea is nice and the atmosphere the world has is also decent. Yes they copied the UI from WoW, good I say since it is familiar to almost everyone but the more I play the less like it feels like a  WoW-clone.
    Anyway, I bought the game just a couple of days ago and so far I'm mildly impressed, but maybe that is due to low expectations? Still so far so good.

Not to be an ass, but I am, so I will ask the obvious. How is it not a wow clone? All you do is quest, and level, with a talent tree system stolen right from WoW. The study system is awful, and will takes years to get to respectable levels. But, you say it feels less like a WoW-Clone, how so? What is there to do that is different from anything you can do in WoW -- except PvP and run dungeons.

You either, level by killing mobs or questing.

You can craft, or gather mats.

You can sell stuff on the AH.

You can group but there is nothing to do while grouped.

The whole "Dawning" is a mini AQ opening ripoff in itself.

So, I need to know, just for once -- what is so un-WoW-like?

To start, I'm not defending this game. Haven't played it, and don't intend to anytime soon. I said the same about WoW when it launched too. I ended up getting it roughly a year ago and it's a good game now. I may try this one too eventually.

But all that stuff you listed about WoW, is stuff found in almost every MMO, even before WoW! Now, if you want to say it ripped off the UI, that is more obvious and acceptible, but the game mechanics, art style, races, etc...please.

Clearly, the exact same mechanics have been around forever... if you could please tell me what game has the same exact art style, talents/skill, and classes I would be delighted to actually think your opinion counts. Until then, you are simply blowing smoke out your ass.