Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

failing my first kill mission

Riptide69Riptide69 Member Posts: 45

I took on a mission which told me to kill.  I went to the coordinates and killed 3 ships but my mission didn't show it was completed.  So I seen a gate I could activate assuming their must be some beyond the gate.  Sure enough there were 10 enemy ships if not more and here I am flying around in a Tristan and got podded after my first kill.

I don't see how I can complete this mission with my current setup.  I will be in a Retriever in a couple of days but I am worried about my standing.  Is the game going to be more difficult for me if I fail this 1 mission ?

Comments

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462

Well I ran into a situation like that in my Comorant, but it helps if you're a bit more specific... there are a lot of missions in EVE.

For me, I had to destroy all Rogue Drones and hunt down the "Queen" as part of the Epic Arc that starts from the Sisters of EVE Agent. Can't quite remember the name of the mission. I approached an Acceleration Gate and only saw a few Drones. Blasted them to smithereens, thinking this mission would be easy, and warped through the Gate to chase the "Queen", who had fled. Came to the next Deadspace pocket and there were about 10 or more Drones closing in on me... and the "Queen" escaped again, deeper into the complex. These drones were tough, getting up close to me and snuggling me at around 2,500 meters, so my Railguns were ineffective. Unfortunately, they ripped through my Shields like paper and I had to warp out.

Not sure if it's the same mission as yours, but it sounds familiar. Anyways, if you can get your hands on a Destroyer, I'd use one until you get Cruisers. Most people say they're crap, but I think they're better than the high-end Frigate (the Tristan, in your case).

Then again, I'm a noob on the Trial, so what do I know?

• Riptide69Riptide69 Member Posts: 45
    Originally posted by Comnitus

Well I ran into a situation like that in my Comorant, but it helps if you're a bit more specific... there are a lot of missions in EVE.
    For me, I had to destroy all Rogue Drones and hunt down the "Queen" as part of the Epic Arc that starts from the Sisters of EVE Agent. Can't quite remember the name of the mission. I approached an Acceleration Gate and only saw a few Drones. Blasted them to smithereens, thinking this mission would be easy, and warped through the Gate to chase the "Queen", who had fled. Came to the next Deadspace pocket and there were about 10 or more Drones closing in on me... and the "Queen" escaped again, deeper into the complex. These drones were tough, getting up close to me and snuggling me at around 2,500 meters, so my Railguns were ineffective. Unfortunately, they ripped through my Shields like paper and I had to warp out.
    Not sure if it's the same mission as yours, but it sounds familiar. Anyways, if you can get your hands on a Destroyer, I'd use one until you get Cruisers. Most people say they're crap, but I think they're better than the high-end Frigate (the Tristan, in your case).

I am kind of new also, but was reading about Standings.  I can't remember the mission name . My account expired today but tomorrow when I reactivate I will find out what mission it was, but I know it was a level 1 agent I got the mission from and it was quality -2, whatever that means.

• ComnitusComnitus Member Posts: 2,462
    Originally posted by Riptide69

I am kind of new also, but was reading about Standings.  I can't remember the mission name . My account expired today but tomorrow when I reactivate I will find out what mission it was, but I know it was a level 1 agent I got the mission from and it was quality -2, whatever that means.

Probably not my mission, then. I consider this Epic Arc part of the Tutorial missions and I haven't gone to any other faction-related agents yet. Still, I'm sure others can help you once they know the name of the mission; at the very least, they can give you general combat advice.

• MushroomusMushroomus Member Posts: 70

Actually the destroyer will probably do better. It's more of a giant frigate. Don't reccomend them for solo though. They're more of a support ship. By the mission youre talking about Comnitus I was in a Caracal by then so I completely destroyed them all. Just work your way to cruisers and you can kick some serious ass.

Originally posted by Mushroomus

Actually the destroyer will probably do better. It's more of a giant frigate. Don't reccomend them for solo though. They're more of a support ship. By the mission youre talking about Comnitus I was in a Caracal by then so I completely destroyed them all. Just work your way to cruisers and you can kick some serious ass.

Mainly worried about this 1 mission and my standing or side effect of failing it.. I only have 4 days to finish it but I don't think I can get the right gear together by then.  Any further missions and I will research before getting into them.

• NicoliNicoli Member Posts: 1,312

First its not going to hurt it your standings. partly because a single mission will not do that much damage to your standings. Also because just losing your ship on a mission does not mean that you have "Failed" it. Only if you are unable to complete a mission  with in one week do you actually fail it.

Second, difficulty is pretty much set on missions so it won't change based on any singular win or loss.

• Brendan_prBrendan_pr Member Posts: 5

You got podded by mission npcs? Uhuh........ sure........ what game where you playing again?

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035
    Originally posted by Brendan_pr

You got podded by mission npcs? Uhuh........ sure........ what game where you playing again?

It's very possible.

Most deadspace complexes lead to a bunch of dudes in various places, and really you have to be wise about what angle you come at them. I usually try to pick off 3-4 at a time in bunches, but if you barrel towards what is usually the center of the cluster of them - they might catch you from the sides, and all of a sudden the whole room is on you.

Some rooms just send wave after wave though, and it's easy to not be able to catch up to the rate they come. All I can suggest is upgrading to new ships asap, and when it seems like you are done for, warp out to... anything really. Nothing can stop you warp drives early on, but they do in later missions and require you to take them out first before escaping.

Also, fleeing and returning does not respawn anything, and its very easy to get to a station for a freebie shield boost (repairs need a module).

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• ironhelixironhelix Member Posts: 448
    Originally posted by GTwander

It's very possible.

Most deadspace complexes lead to a bunch of dudes in various places, and really you have to be wise about what angle you come at them. I usually try to pick off 3-4 at a time in bunches, but if you barrel towards what is usually the center of the cluster of them - they might catch you from the sides, and all of a sudden the whole room is on you.

Some rooms just send wave after wave though, and it's easy to not be able to catch up to the rate they come. All I can suggest is upgrading to new ships asap, and when it seems like you are done for, warp out to... anything really. Nothing can stop you warp drives early on, but they do in later missions and require you to take them out first before escaping.

Also, fleeing and returning does not respawn anything, and its very easy to get to a station for a freebie shield boost (repairs need a module).

no, it's not possible. NPC's will not pod you. Ever.

• qazymanqazyman Member Posts: 1,785

You should never enter a mission without knowing what type of damage your enemy is weak too and what kind your enemy deals. Here is a good mission guide. If your having problems with a level 1, you should really find out why because they only get harder.

• HexcaliberHexcaliber Member UncommonPosts: 171

My immediate guess is that you made the typical newbie mistake, flying a Tristan with blasters. Until you have the skills to fit a decent active tank, use rails, range and speed are your friends, keep range and stay alive. In 5 years of playing I was never killed by npc’s, not once, even when I was running level 4's in a shield tanked celestis for shits and giggles.

There are a number of sites that you can access that will give details of missions, right down to what damage to tank and dish out, and what spawns if any auto agro on entry and what they are comprised of ship wise.

Do some reading on gunnery and topics like tracking and the effects of transversal velocity, and keep reading until you understand how to exploit transversal to keep yourself alive in smaller ships. Do not be in too much of a hurry to grab a larger ship like a battleship either. All too often new players rush training to jump into a battleship unable to fit it properly, then cry in local the instant it is destroyed, leaving them broke. Learn the fundamentals of combat in smaller disposable ships before venturing into larger vessels.

Don’t worry about the effects of standing for failing a single level one mission, any loss is easy to make back. If you intend to run a lot of missions, look into the social skills as they are all based around mission running and increasing standing and payouts/rewards; making it easier to find agents you can work for and increasing payouts.

My Colour Is Vomit green, I puke on the tards with stupid colour sigs. My symbol is ,,!, O ,!,, My enemies are any prat with a colour sig, a meaningless personality test, or a pointless list of games and classes.

Regards Hexcaliber

Originally posted by ironhelix

He didn't state he had to clone, probably lost his ship and misinterpreted the term "podded" as being reverted to pod form.

Also @OP: The price of a new frigate or destroyer is chump change to older players and most are very likely to hook you up with funds if you lost one. At least in noobie corps, heh. I started a corp of my own and disbanded it, ending up in some NPC corp with a set of hostile people booted from other player-corps. Stay in the military academy or whatever noob corp you ended up in as long as you can, because there is no going back if you sign with players - and if you do, be sure they cool.

He didn't state he had to clone, probably lost his ship and misinterpreted the term "podded" as being reverted to pod form.

Also @OP: The price of a new frigate or destroyer is chump change to older players and most are very likely to hook you up with funds if you lost one. At least in noobie corps, heh. I started a corp of my own and disbanded it, ending up in some NPC corp with a set of hostile people booted from other player-corps. Stay in the military academy or whatever noob corp you ended up in as long as you can, because there is no going back if you sign with players - and if you do, be sure they cool.

Yes I was in pod form and collected insurance because of it.  Thanks for the advice.

It was called 'The Mordus Headhunters'.

• jagd1jagd1 Member Posts: 281

Of course it is possible , especially sentries .It should not but i saw alot of people podded by npcs/sentries .riptide ask for help at local or corp chat.

It's very possible.

That's a lot of words for someone that has no idea what they are talking about. NPC's DON'T  POD. PERIOD. NO IF, ANDS OR, BUTS. The end.

The only way you can get podded during a mission is if a player does it, if you are war dec'd of if you are in low security space...

EDIT: And the only way sentries at gates are going to pod you is for the same reason CONCORD would, you have committed a crime. And those don't exist in missions.

To above poster: it's been covered.

Yes I was in pod form and collected insurance because of it.

To above poster: it's been covered.

No, it obviously has not considering multiple people don't know what they are talking about in this thread and believe otherwise

Being podded is an extremely integral part of this game. They even now teach you about it in the improved tutorials

No, it obviously has not considering multiple people don't know what they are talking about in this thread and believe otherwise

Are you really going to get bent out of shape over the misuse of the term "podded"?

Cuz i knew what the OP meant when I replied and you're the 2nd person I've had to explain the simple mistake to.

Are you really going to get bent out of shape over the misuse of the term "podded"?

Cuz i knew what the OP meant when I replied and you're the 2nd person I've had to explain the simple mistake to.

You are not going to explain one of the single most costly mistakes a person can make in this game? Ok, suit yourself...

You are not going to explain one of the single most costly mistakes a person can make in this game? Ok, suit yourself...

The only mistake here is the OP assuming "podding" was losing the ship (not the pod), and the fact that someone is still stuck on that.

The only mistake here is the OP assuming "podding" was losing the ship (not the pod), and the fact that someone is still stuck on that.

I will try and clarify more.  I used the word 'podded' because I couldn't think of a better term.  If there is a better one please let me know.  Basically I was being attacked to the point that my ship disappeared after having an explosion type animation associated with it (all my armor , shields etc, had gone red).  Next thing I know I am in this little black ball, which I believe is called a 'POD'.  I docked the 'POD' at the nearest docking place that I could and that is where I still am.

Basically I am going to try to finish the mission, but I won't be doing it in a Tristan.  I also need to learn about cloning and jump clones.  I don't know the difference or how to use them, but I will find out.

If I can't complete the mission, I won't sweat it based on the feedback from this forum and just approach my next missions with a little less ignorance :)

You buy clones to retain an amount of SP you've gained up to a cap in case you get "podded", as in get wiped in pod form and truly die. There are various prices, and early on it's fairly cheap, my char was costing about a mil per clone though before I stopped playing.

Jump clones are just clones left at facilities across the galaxy that you can "jump" to. Say you left a hauler in jita while your battle ship is elsewhere with a clone there; ditch the current body and hop to it. That's a basic idea, I've never actually used it yet personally and am not able to explain indepth.

• qazymanqazyman Member Posts: 1,785

I will try and clarify more.  I used the word 'podded' because I couldn't think of a better term.  If there is a better one please let me know.  Basically I was being attacked to the point that my ship disappeared after having an explosion type animation associated with it (all my armor , shields etc, had gone red).  Next thing I know I am in this little black ball, which I believe is called a 'POD'.  I docked the 'POD' at the nearest docking place that I could and that is where I still am.

Basically I am going to try to finish the mission, but I won't be doing it in a Tristan.  I also need to learn about cloning and jump clones.  I don't know the difference or how to use them, but I will find out.

If I can't complete the mission, I won't sweat it based on the feedback from this forum and just approach my next missions with a little less ignorance :)

I wouldn't worry about jump clones right now. They are typically used to jump between high and null sec. The other type of clone is what you go to when you are podded. You have to buy them and they protect the skill points you have accumilated. Every time you are podded, or as your skill points pass your clone limit, they must be replaced. You just lost your ship, you can not be podded by an npc, and don't need a new clone. (But it might be a good idea to check how many SP's your current clone can protect)

As for the mission the tristan is probably the best ship you can use and there certainly isn't a problem with it. Not to be blunt but the problem isn't the ship. All of the answers to the problem you face have already been given in this thread. Tank your ship against the correct damage type, use the correct guns, understand the range and ammo for the gun, and complete the mission.

The tristan is a great ship, properly set up and flown it will complete that mission with ease.

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168

You only fail the mission if you dont complete it. Check to see what ship equipment you have installed and look up some good ship specs based on your skills. Also NPC mission rats dont pod you.

Level 1 missions can be intresting to a new player and should not be taken lightly by a new player.

(AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH Dances with Empress jamyl Sarum in her private quarters...)

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

Originally posted by qazyman

I wouldn't worry about jump clones right now. They are typically used to jump between high and null sec. The other type of clone is what you go to when you are podded. You have to buy them and they protect the skill points you have accumilated. Every time you are podded, or as your skill points pass your clone limit, they must be replaced. You just lost your ship, you can not be podded by an npc, and don't need a new clone. (But it might be a good idea to check how many SP's your current clone can protect)

As for the mission the tristan is probably the best ship you can use and there certainly isn't a problem with it. Not to be blunt but the problem isn't the ship. All of the answers to the problem you face have already been given in this thread. Tank your ship against the correct damage type, use the correct guns, understand the range and ammo for the gun, and complete the mission.

The tristan is a great ship, properly set up and flown it will complete that mission with ease.

Cool, thanks for the feedback.  I will try to equipe my ship so its suited for the mission and try again.