Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vanguard.... -=(

2»

Comments

• Praxus1874Praxus1874 Member Posts: 152

I was actually going to resub last night, because I miss the epic PvE in that game.  Unfortunately, in researching it, it appears there is a bug with Nvidia cards that causes major hitching.  The workaround is to install older drivers, and even that doesn't work for some people.

I'd rather not do that, and I have other games to play, so I think I'll bid Vanguard a final farewell.  It's really too bad, though.

Prax

• cukimungacukimunga Member UncommonPosts: 2,258

If I were SOE I would put more work into this game, who cares if it gets more popular than their own EQ2.  If they have a chance to make money off this game then why not put in the effort.  My cousin and I would probably be playing this game if it weren't for the low population and no support for this game.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

Why is SOE not makin Vanguard F2P is beyond understanding.

DDO just reported 500% rise in profits since they went F2P

• StejasStejas Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by Praxus1874

I was actually going to resub last night, because I miss the epic PvE in that game.  Unfortunately, in researching it, it appears there is a bug with Nvidia cards that causes major hitching.  The workaround is to install older drivers, and even that doesn't work for some people.
    I'd rather not do that, and I have other games to play, so I think I'll bid Vanguard a final farewell.  It's really too bad, though.
    Prax

Unfortunately this is the kind of thing that turns people away.  I use a Nvidia card myself but don't have any problems.  But some people in guild crash during raids.   Really frustrating.   But there is not another game out there like Vanguard and I don't see anything coming close to on the horizon.  

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483

I tried it and wanted to like it but just couldn't. The linear quests/game play and the bugs were too much. I couldn't believe how many bugs there were after all this time.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• therain93therain93 Member UncommonPosts: 2,039

Honestly, I think VG missed a huge opportunity for relaunch when Conan came out.  People were upgrading their machines for Conan to a level that VG could handle and, with Conan faultering at launch, would have been huge benefit to sieze on that dissatisfaction, higher level systems and nowhere to go en masse....

• Esther-ChanEsther-Chan Member Posts: 288

I actually enjoy Vanguard. I just downloaded the trial last night and I'm having a lot of fun. Unfortunately, you are right about the community. Even the "Trial Island" was empty. I couldn't find anyone around to talk to. Every so often someone in Zone chat would talk, but mostly just to ask a question that would go unanswered.

• VultureSkullVultureSkull Member UncommonPosts: 1,774

The problem with VG is not the game it is the management.

It was bought by SOE to stop it competing against EQ2 as such it is and will remain under-funded until it dies. It had 4 devs working on it which were cut to two in recnet times for Christ sake, how can a game progress with that kind of investment!

Which is a great crying shame as it is one of the best fantasy based PvE games of this decade. It is better than WoW and EQ2 due to is classes, seamless world(which wow has but EQ2 does not) its totally non-instanced, has player housing, has player ships, has engaging combat, great graphics, decent crafting and harvesting(your guy actually chops trees down), diplomacy game play, etc etc.

• UwayUway Member Posts: 58
    Originally posted by VultureSkull

The problem with VG is not the game it is the management.
    It was bought by SOE to stop it competing against EQ2 as such it is and will remain under-funded until it dies. It had 4 devs working on it which were cut to two in recnet times for Christ sake, how can a game progress with that kind of investment!
    Which is a great crying shame as it is one of the best fantasy based PvE games of this decade. It is better than WoW and EQ2 due to is classes, seamless world(which wow has but EQ2 does not) its totally non-instanced, has player housing, has player ships, has engaging combat, great graphics, decent crafting and harvesting(your guy actually chops trees down), diplomacy game play, etc etc.

QFT, when I tried the game out, the only problem I had with it was the lack of players. So, I read up on the boards about it and found out the game only had four people working on it. This led me to believe there would never be new content added in the size of an expansion, so thats why I stopped playing, otherwise I could have seen myself playing it till this day.

Rise above hate.

Ignore fan boys.

• Rover64ddRover64dd Member Posts: 144

VG's problem was its release. The beta was so god awfull a huge percentage of people never took a second look at it. You really cant understand how bad a video game can be untill you played Vanguards beta. Some races starting areas didnt work at all. Youd get glitched or literally 90% of the quests couldnt be turned in, the maps werent finished, it was awfull. They did put a huge amount of work into it and took out a lot of the starting areas, and managed to get the game working. The other inherent problem was the playerbase they were looking to attract. They wanted the hardcore. The hardcorest of the hardcore. They expected people to want to spend 20-30 hours getting from level 35-36. For all the people that tried their damndest to get into the game they still couldnt put up with the high standards. So they changed that as well. They made it fairly easy to level, added more content, fixed more bugs and bam, a good playable game. Vanguard had massive massive potential at that point. But the dev I guess was so sick of the game and probably in the hole, SOE made them an offer and they took it. The added content stopped, the bugs, even chat typos, ceased to be fixed, and the couple of devs that still work on the game spend literally all of their time fixing things like crash bugs. Vanguard in its current state is in my top 5 of best mmo's ever. I love the classes, I love the gameplay, I love everything about it. Except that it has almost no end game. Compared to EQ, or WoW, or EQ2....VG has nothing. A raid or two, a couple instances, no pvp...its bleh. I played the game a good while. I got max level, I did everything, and I quit. Id come back if it started getting a big budget for new content. If they ever did that though the game would skyrocket. Maybe theyre just saving it for later. At the mean time they got all their money bundled up in EQ2. Which EQ2 is a good game...but killed VG

Never take life too seriously youre never gonna make it out alive.

• SoludeSolude Member UncommonPosts: 691

VG is the game I want to like.  Great art direction, interesting classes, active combat...

But lets be honest it just doesn't work.  Even the shining light that is the trial island has bugs, combat is random with one fight being tooth and nail and the next completely one sided.  The PC models have always been terrible, the crafting and diplomacy are even worse.

Its strengths are the world and combat but combat got streaky somewhere along the way.  Wasn't when I played my disciple way back when but is now on my dread.

New content won't help it would only make things even more spread out.  Merge the servers, make combat consistent again and go F2P with MT.  But until the game is polished at least in the core combat aspect... its pointless.  If I was SOE I would not have saved it.  VG was never going to compete with EQ2 so the smart move would have been to let it die in dev or watch Sigil launch even earlier than SOE did and die then.

So despite wanting VG to be something it isn't I really can't think of any one thing VG does better than another MMO past or present.  The AoC thing wouldn't have worked since even at launch AoC worked better than VG did.  And today, AoC runs like butter while VG still takes a beast.  When fans suggest you need an SSD to play the game... its not ready for the masses ;)

• Rover64ddRover64dd Member Posts: 144

Well thats why no one really plays it. The combat isnt great and the models arent great. But with time and a lot of money VG would be pretty awesome. It isnt now though. Its fun to play if youre in dire need of an MMORPG for awhile. But no one stays on it forever.

Never take life too seriously youre never gonna make it out alive.

• TheAestheteTheAesthete Member Posts: 264
    Originally posted by therain93

Honestly, I think VG missed a huge opportunity for relaunch when Conan came out.  People were upgrading their machines for Conan to a level that VG could handle and, with Conan faultering at launch, would have been huge benefit to sieze on that dissatisfaction, higher level systems and nowhere to go en masse....

I didn't play either Vanguard or AoC enough to be an expert on either -- but I did play both of them, and I personally don't see Vanguard catching a disaffected AoC playerbase. What I liked about AoC was the combat and the look of the game; what I liked about Vanguard was. . . everything else. I never had problems running either game on my computer, but both failed to hold my interest for completely different reasons.

• GhostSeverGhostSever Member Posts: 23

Vanguard is a great game, but i'm sorry until SOE starts putting more money into the game I will not give a cent more. I highly doubt SOE will start supporting Vanguard in a greater capacity so I think Vangaurd and I are done.

I do miss that damn game though lol

Playing: Fallen Earth
    Waiting for: Earthrise, Guild Wars 2 and Secret World

"Whats a Canadian? He's like an American, but he doesn't use alot of dangerous adjectives"

"Part of loving a woman is accepting Sting"

"They never find a dead person on Antique Road Show"

"Isn't Unix made by fat people?"

• BannneBannne Member Posts: 244

The best way to fix it is have a three month free trail,allow players to start on the main land or the isle.

• MacLinuxMacLinux Member Posts: 93
    Originally posted by GPrestige

onestly, buddy... I know where you're at. Check my post history, I've tried a lot of stuff for this game. Vanguard is my all time favorite MMO out there right now. I played it for a while, but the lack of support from SOE and the lack of players ruined it for me. There is literally no chance they will ever bring this game back to the forefront of the MMO world.

One thing to consider is that VG is in direct competition with EQ2. EQ2 is Sony's baby, and while it sounds like a "tinfoil hat" comment, I honestly believe they bought the game so no one else would fix it up and destroy EQ2's population. All we can do is hope that in the future a game like VG comes out and succeeds.

Its a sad truth, but VG isn't going anywhere. They probably won't shut it down anytime soon, but don't expect it to go anywhere. If you enjoy yourself, that is all that matters. I stopped playing BECAUSE of SOE's lack of support and the so few people actually playing.

Stopped for the same reasons. I'd like to play VG but I can't . Tried many times. And i don't like EQ2

• jemibanez777jemibanez777 Member Posts: 31

I would love seing something done with this game. People don't play because people don't play, cause no money is being put into it. The trend in mmos fortell that this was probably "it". I have little to no hope that any company will attempt such an enormus projekt.

Oh how i loved the vast world. I played a whole lot from beta to sometime after SOE took over. And i still found dungeons and stuff everywhere, never before seen by these gnomish psionicists eyes. The dungeons in the swamp, witch after a good many runs i found a hole in the ground witch turned out to be some sort of backdoor to one of them. Had no idea how deep that dungeon was but. I ... Damn i can't spell or find the right word.

Some said the world fealt empty because it was so big. I just found that added to the "world" feeling.

*Sigh*

A well.

"Miracles Can Happen"

• indiramournindiramourn Member UncommonPosts: 884
    Originally posted by socrates656

I just canceled my account today. Not because of Population though, but because of the amount of bugs are in the game. There are more bugs in vanguard now then there were 1 year ago. Say what you want, but SOE have just ruined this game

This is exactly my experience when I tried Vanguard about 2 months ago.  Too many things that made it feel like a product still in Beta.  And then you visit these forums and the official forums and you see how SOE is neglecting this game.  The general tone is always depressing.  I don't think Vanguard has a future beyond the niche of players that enjoy it for what it is right now.  A guild may show up and create a temporary influx of players.  But give them a couple months and they fade away to another game.

• chesiremorphchesiremorph Member Posts: 128

Deathbed Game.....

Vanguard is the equivalent of a 90 year old man with heart disease and Alzheimers.

It will not last long, has forgotten everyone, and is not astheticly pleasing at all.

BoB

• VinfallaVinfalla Member Posts: 10
    Originally posted by chesiremorph

Deathbed Game.....

Vanguard is the equivalent of a 90 year old man with heart disease and Alzheimers.
    It will not last long, has forgotten everyone, and is not astheticly pleasing at all.

Sadly you've just summed up the entire mmorpg industry. Other than Asian players inflating N American numbers for WoW - and the little hard core pve fan base that supports LOTRO at the end game raid level - games are sandboxes uniquely made to suit the interests of the developers - with no consideration to the players that actually want to play a certain type of mmorpg. 

You could get 100 rational threads telling the AoC people that 5-10 more races and culture vs culture rvr would make the game epic but they don't care. Still a 3 race game with the same races and classes killing each other - priests of Mitra vs Priests of Mitra I mean seriously did any of those guys read a single Conan book? They don't care...period.

You could tell the LOTRO people that at least a few servers should have a full pvp to end game option for monster classes - and really make it a 2 realm mmorpg and watch the players flood in. But Turbine doesn't care - they axed Asheron's Call 2 to make room for more potential LOTRO players - instead of improved a few points of a potentially great game. Lord of the Rings epical struggle storyline was defined by massive epic seige warfare as well as border battles between the forces of evil and the forces of good.  Yet the mmorpg itself is just a pve fest where the real evil is just a predictable AI model and PvM is just one of the laziest creative attempts I have ever seen in an mmorpg. Turbine will never make that epical pvp server between good and evil.  They just don't care.

You could tell the Warhammer developers to put a sword or shield in the off hand of a class with ZERO stealth called the Shadow Warrior of all things - and to further stink up the imagination of the mmorpg industry by making the worst stealth mechanic ever on their actual rogue classes - and then to jjust plain make a so called hard core pvp game..utterly boring...and I've seen countless threads on that very subject - but they don't care.  EA got their hands on Mythic and tied her ingenuity up in the basement and swept her creativity (from that 3 realm gem Dark Age of Camelot that should have gone to Dark Age 2) under the carpet of mediocrity.  EA doesn't care.

SOE did indeed want to keep control of what little pop they have in EQ 2 - bailed out McQuaid after he attempted to keep VG afloat - and left the game to rot - thus killing another possible competitor. SWG and Vanguard = SOE homocide victims - and they will only be punished by losing out on some potentially large cash buffs. What moron would possibly fudge up Star Wars - unbelievable.

However, that being said, I wonder at times - as I put my own tin hat on - if the XBOX PS3 etc investment community intentionally bought out aspects of mmorpgs (EA as an example with Warhammer) and destroyed them and or bought them and went to maintenance mode with them in order to kill any potential competition.