Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone run 5970s yet?

2»

Comments

• dfandfan Member Posts: 362

5970's performance is totally cpu capped with all current processors, overclocked or not. Don't wait for gt300, if you aren't ready to wait for 6 months. 

• RobgmurRobgmur Member Posts: 322
    Originally posted by Cleffy

Multi-GPUs always have some problems.  They really aren't necessary either.  An HD5870 will give you plenty of Oomf without the power draw, and it won't have problems working with Hydra which is the only real multi-GPU solution that's decent.

5970s can't work with Hydra?

*Corsair Obsidian Series 650D *i5-2500K OC'd ~ 4.5
    *Asus P8Z68-V PRO/GEN3 mother board
    * Radeon HD 7970
    *8GB (4GBx2) 1600MHz Kingston HyperX
    *240GB Corsair Force GT Series SATA-III SSD

• chrisrobhay2chrisrobhay2 Member Posts: 114

No, their drivers are not up to par, which is why MSI delayed the Fuzion motherboard.

Originally posted by chrisrobhay2

No, their drivers are not up to par, which is why MSI delayed the Fuzion motherboard.

What do you think the time frame for the release would be? and when they do would the 5970 be acceptable?

* Radeon HD 7970

They are now targeting Q1 2010 (October 1, 2009 - December 31, 2009), but I think that it is too late for them to release it now, so it will probably be in Q2 2010 (January 1, 2010 - March 31, 2010).  In regard to dual-GPU support, I assume that it will be implemented by the time of release because they have quite a while to work on it and it is a feature that they same very eager to support.

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

Originally posted by Robgmur
    Originally posted by Cleffy Multi-GPUs always have some problems.  They really aren't necessary either.  An HD5870 will give you plenty of Oomf without the power draw, and it won't have problems working with Hydra which is the only real multi-GPU solution that's decent.

5970s can't work with Hydra?

My understanding is the Hydra 200 can't work with dual GPU cards (GTX 295, 4870x2, 5970) because the GPU's are basically locked in SLI/Crossfire on board so the Hydra chip can't work with them properly.

http://www.pcper.com/article.php?aid=815&type=expert&pid=3

I don't know if Hydra is trying to find a way around that or not.

Thats lame, they better add them in being supported by it. There's no reason they shouldn't .. it's the dawn of a new decade, it's time to shine

* Radeon HD 7970

Thats lame, they better add them in being supported by it. There's no reason they shouldn't .. it's the dawn of a new decade, it's time to shine

They are probably going to add it.  In an interview with a representative from LucidLogix, the interviewer asked him if it would work with dual-GPUs.  His answer was something like "it is a feature that we are interested in and that we believe should be part of Hydra."  So maybe that means we'll have that feature by the time of its release.

• SKdragonSKdragon Member Posts: 101

I got a 'kind off' 5970,  i got 2x 5870 which is faster then a 5970.. and i do not have noticed any microstutter at all, which i had with my 4870 though in GTA 4 after going from XP to Windows 7..

The speed is amazing, but the strange thing now is, when i disable one of my 5870's and run GTA4 i get the same microstuttering as i had with the 4870.  The framerates are smooth, but sometimes you see objects like bridges warping a few milimeters. and when i enable my second GPU it's gone...

Originally posted by SKdragon

I got a 'kind off' 5970,  i got 2x 5870 which is faster then a 5970.. and i do not have noticed any microstutter at all, which i had with my 4870 though in GTA 4 after going from XP to Windows 7..
    The speed is amazing, but the strange thing now is, when i disable one of my 5870's and run GTA4 i get the same microstuttering as i had with the 4870.  The framerates are smooth, but sometimes you see objects like bridges warping a few milimeters. and when i enable my second GPU it's gone...

Sounds like you have a ghost in your computer lol.. no clue man just keep running the double

* Radeon HD 7970

• comerbcomerb Member UncommonPosts: 944

Originally posted by dfan

Microlag iced with some more microlag, I'd stay away. 

Be more spacific. And did you actually use them or are you just talking smack because they're ''expensive''  and you're a rebel lol..

He just doesn't like dual GPUs because of micro-stuttering.  It's generally a minor issue with most games, and some people don't even notice it.  It has nothing specifically to do with the 5970, but is an issue with all multiple GPU setups.

It basically causes a stuttering effect because 2 different GPUs are building the image and the sychnonization doesn't match up perfectly.

Do you think microstuttering would occur when using two 5870s with LucidLogix Hydra?

• noquarternoquarter Member Posts: 1,170

Originally posted by chrisrobhay2
    Do you think microstuttering would occur when using two 5870s with LucidLogix Hydra?

Hmm, based on the way the technology is designed it shouldn't. In a normal Crossfire/SLI set up, the cards alternate frames. If one card doesn't finish its frame until right when the other card finishes its, you get get microstutter.. a period of a static frame followed by 2 quick frames in succession. Fps meters show you as still having high fps, but you perceive less fps or at least unnatural fps because some of the frames are falling right on top of each other.

In the Hydra setup the cards don't alternate frames, they are responsible for specific objects. When the slave card finishes its render it transfers it to the primary card's buffer where it is joined with the primary's render before being displayed. So nothing would get out of sync or stutter, but does cause a different issue in having to wait for all cards to finish their render.

Without proper load balancing this could cause slowdown as the cards have to wait for the most over-loaded card to finish its task before finishing the frame for display. The Hydra chip is suppose to have very advanced load balancing algorithms to prevent this from happening though.

If the load balancing is off you could see less max FPS from the Hydra setup, but on the other hand these frames are never stacked on top of each other so you'd probably still have higher perceivable fps.

Cool, I've been following Hydra for a while now and I want to get a motherboard equipped with it really badly.