Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why games have small maps area's with so many load screens?

EvasiaEvasia Member Posts: 2,827

I already thought it was rather strange why AoC a pc game only at the time when launched, had so many loadscreens and small maps to explore, well back then i said on forum they made it with console in mind on a later date, all laughted back then and said would never happen, well i was right they where wrong as we know now.

Now with Dragon age:Origin's i wonder how games will develop if you look at that game, man so many load screens so many small areas small maps its 100% made for console even dx9 game and grafhics are avarage also so,its tailormade for console so it can handle it easely.

I see for pc a bleak future and its going the wrong way bah.

PC'S can do so much more then console but most games including mmo's are dumb down every year :(

Games played:AC1-Darktide'99-2000-AC2-Darktide/dawnsong2003-2005,Lineage2-2005-2006 and now Darkfall-2009.....
In between WoW few months AoC few months and some f2p also all very short few weeks.

Comments

• 133794m3r133794m3r Member Posts: 173

I agree with teh poster above me. He has hit the nail on the head. PC games are known to be made for the console ready and not truly ready for the pc. As games keep evolving the loading screens will keep getting longer and longer. Right now one game where i notice loading screens alot is AC2. Yeah sure they probably don't have a ton of them in reality but i do notice it. That's why i'm glad that this time around you don't leave the animus that often at all. You're almost always in it and almost never leave. That reduces the need for a load screen between the memories and the current world.

What i'd like to see is better managment of their assets and also optimizing your engine for the game at hand. Consoles are outdated and have been such for the past year or so. We should've had the new console with 4GB of onboard video ram. But we don't simply do it b/c the big wigs want to milk it as much as they can. If consoles were to be updated then we'd have no problem what so ever with them keeping up with the pc games. When the 360 first came out 512MB of ram was quite a bit of ram for a game system. Now it's almost nothing. If we could have more ram, faster graphics cards, faster hdds, and faster reading/writing of data it'd all be alot better.

• reimarureimaru Member Posts: 228

well there are some factors

either it's because of the pc (low spec) or the game has a lot of files in a certain map regardless of its size (more npcs, objects etc.)

then it'll take some time to load it, that's the major problems with games nowadays, better graphics means longer loading times

• EvasiaEvasia Member Posts: 2,827

Yes but dragon age have poor grafhics so should use less ram right?.....and rediculous small area's/maps many of them and loadscreens are insanely ammount of times when playing,  every door every gate or leave small areas you have loadscreen its so annoying.

Ive played many rpg's but dragon age is most annoying game ive played in last 5years you eather stair to cutscenes npc's conversation quest conversation or loadscreens plus pause alot so actual play is very limited bah this game is big dissapointment:(

Well found new RPG Divinity 2 Ego Draconis man its so muc better then Dragon age only good for getting dust on box now.

Divinity 2 Ego Draconis is a Sleeper hit!!!

Games played:AC1-Darktide'99-2000-AC2-Darktide/dawnsong2003-2005,Lineage2-2005-2006 and now Darkfall-2009.....
    In between WoW few months AoC few months and some f2p also all very short few weeks.

• TeimanTeiman Member Posts: 1,319

Small areas on games with a console version is because consoles have small memory 360 has 512 MB, and the PS3 has 256MB.  You could have much bigger maps for the PC, but since the map is the same for everyone, you can't make a big map. 

• EvasiaEvasia Member Posts: 2,827
    Originally posted by Teiman

Small areas on games with a console version is because consoles have small memory 360 has 512 MB, and the PS3 has 256MB.  You could have much bigger maps for the PC, but since the map is the same for everyone, you can't make a big map. 

But the game could have be so much better if it was made for pc then port it to console now they ruin this game so it fits consoles and players.

These days it seems all dont care anymore about real pc gaming bah:(