Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darkfall Review (from a noob)

AirwrenAirwren Member UncommonPosts: 648

Okay, so I have realized that I'm still searching for an MMO home.  I won't go through the laundry list I've tried but alas I thought I might give DF a try for once since the game has been out for a while.  I tried Fallen Earth and that game is good but it was lacking a bit for me in the fun factor so I thought DF might be the game for me.  I do like the PVP with serious consequences, which is one of the things I liked so much about Eve Online.  So, here is my first day review of DF Online

1.  I started as a wolf character (not sure of the names yet) and immediately wanted to satisfy my bloodthirst.  I was able to fairly easily tweak the UI to my liking.  The UI is fairly simple but it does give you the ability to move things around and whatnot which was nice.  It took a little getting used to but overall I've seen much worse.

2.  I found a goblin camp and started to flex my uber combat skills.  LMAO  Wow, talk about a learning experience.  I think I may have died about 10 or 15 times without killing a single goblin.  Aggro from crazy ranges and arrows coming at me from so far away I could barely see the mob!  However, once I started getting the hang of things I actually was able to kill some of those little buggers and get some quests done!

Overall first day experience:

1.  Graphics -  Pretty good actually, at least on par with Fallen Earth and there are many options to change or tweak for your graphics.  I turned off shadows and post processing to get maximum fps but the graphics are not bad and I must say good for an Indie game.  My rating: 3.5 / 5 at my settings, fully turned up on everything 4/5

2.  Gameplay - I'm still learning the nuances of FPS style games but I really like how you have to account for range and movement when shooting arrows.  The combat interface is taking me some time to get used to for switching between combat and interface modes.  I wish there were more animations for melee but that's a personal preference.  My rating: 4/5

3.  Community - I've heard bad stories of the community but so far I haven't had anything out of the ordinary happen.  I know I'm going to get pk'd and camped but this isn't all that different than Eve Online and I loved that game.  I've also been able to ask and have answered many of my questions which was refreshing to see.  Overall so far: 4/5

4.  Crafting - I can't rate the crafting yet as I'm still learning the whole process, I'll come back to this later.  I do however enjoy the harvesting in the game which seems to me a lot more engaging than some of the other MMO's I have tried.  Now if someone could just point me to some ****ing Mandrake!

Overall I enjoyed my first foray into DF.  I'm actually looking forward to getting back in game because this game is a huge challenge.  I find myself thinking about combat with an eye on the horizon and in the bushes for my enemy.  I like a challenge, and this game seems to offer that in spades!

Comments

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

Nice review and welcome to Agon, as for the mandrake get a sickle and go harvest a bush.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis