Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How hard to navigate?

xenoclixxenoclix Member UncommonPosts: 298

Hey guys,

Wanted to know how hard it is to navigate in the game using the PC control system (Keyboard and Mouse). As this was originally for console - is it better to buy a controller for PC and use that over the keyboard?

Also, how is the optimization for PC? Im going to assume this is more of a port from console to PC? meaning the system resolution and so forth might be glitchy or whatnot?

All in all im basically asking how easy it is to play on the PC and if there are any complications with using keyboard and mouse.

Thanks guys!

Comments

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

To change resolution and some other things you need to press Start, All Programs, Play Online and there is some icon for the options among the ffxi icon.

Now I tell you from advance search on google or whatever for the controls to know at least which ones to open menu (forgot atm) don't make the mistake like a guy that left the game because he couldn't figure how to open menu but didn't research even when he needed help.

Well with a controler it feels like playing final fantasy 12 but for chating you will still need the keyboard but with keyboard and mouse it's good too just change it from options (I told you for the menu for this part) to compact so it will be like any regular mmo controls.

Well that's all have fun it's a nice game :)

• taus01taus01 Member Posts: 1,352

The default navigation is the number-block. Open the main menu by pressing "-" . Arrows (8,4,5,6,2) are for movement. 9/3 zoom in/out.  '/' for walk/run toggle. Press 7 and 8 togeter to toggle autorun. Press 0 to tab through targets.

Thats the basics. You can change to a more familiar WASD setting in the config menu but i prefer the number-block as i can do all movement and targeting with the right hand.

I use my left hand to toggle menus and execute macros (alt-1/0 and ctrl-1/0) that can be configured in the main menu (you can create a Book of macros for every job that contains 10 alt/ctr bars. A total of 200 macros per book and there are 20 books if i am not mistake (could be more)

Other important stuff is how to change default chat channels (to chat simply start typing and it will send to the default channel you set.

/cm s (current area chat eg. /say)

/cm p (party chat)

/cm l (Linkshell chat)

You can just start typing and then press the channel keys + enter to send it to a different than the default channel. can be changed as often as you want before you press enter. Keys are alt-s, alt-p and alt-l (just like the /cm commands)

Private messages: /tell PlayerName Message

Reply to private message: alt-r (press multiple times to cycle trough older reply targets)

Hope that helps you get started.

"Give players systems and tools instead of rails and rules"

• DjfusionDjfusion Member Posts: 186
    Originally posted by xenoclix

Hey guys,

Wanted to know how hard it is to navigate in the game using the PC control system (Keyboard and Mouse). As this was originally for console - is it better to buy a controller for PC and use that over the keyboard?

Also, how is the optimization for PC? Im going to assume this is more of a port from console to PC? meaning the system resolution and so forth might be glitchy or whatnot?

All in all im basically asking how easy it is to play on the PC and if there are any complications with using keyboard and mouse.

Thanks guys!

Although PS2 was one of the original platforms it was on, PC was released only a couple months later. The controls are much much better on pc because setting up Macros on this game make it soooo much easier. I tried both control schemes and I enjoyed the pc controls much more.