Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What does this game do different than DFO?

caalemcaalem Member UncommonPosts: 289

Watching videos of Mortal Online, this game looks exactly like a prettier DFO, is this true? :s

Comments

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

From what ive read this game is more based on UO so it has alot better pve and more sandbox elements than darkfall, the crafting is also suppose to be amazing.

• zereelistzereelist Member Posts: 373

From what i have played the only pve involves  animals that you can tame, and use to either make pets out of or grind weapon skills on.  I havent played DF but most of MO is completely barren at the moment. I do hope they add some pve to this game.

• gnomad1gnomad1 Member Posts: 151
    Originally posted by caalem

Watching videos of Mortal Online, this game looks exactly like a prettier DFO, is this true? :s

I totally despise Dork-n-Fail after being in beta and playing for months before I quit, but that being said...... IT BEATS THE HELL OUT OF THIS LAME ASS EXCUSE FOR AN MMORPG.

Before the sycophantic shillbots rise up against me, Block A here baby so I have seen this POS since the beginning and guess what? It still blows chunks.

"If you were as smart as you think you are, you would realize that you are an idiot"

• GPrestigeGPrestige Member UncommonPosts: 523
    Originally posted by gnomad1

I totally despise Dork-n-Fail after being in beta and playing for months before I quit, but that being said...... IT BEATS THE HELL OUT OF THIS LAME ASS EXCUSE FOR AN MMORPG.

Before the sycophantic shillbots rise up against me, Block A here baby so I have seen this POS since the beginning and guess what? It still blows chunks.

What is wrong with it? I'm still trying to decide between buying DF now or wait for MO.

-Computer specs no one cares about: check.

-MMOs played no one cares about: check.

-Xfire stats no one cares about: check.

-Signature no one cares about: check.

------------------------------------------------------------
    -Narcissism: check.

• artemisentr4artemisentr4 Member UncommonPosts: 1,431
    Originally posted by GPrestige

What is wrong with it? I'm still trying to decide between buying DF now or wait for MO.

If you have the cash. I would start with DF and wait for MO to fix it's bugs and content after it launches.

DF is getting better with the last expansion. It is 90% PvP with 10% PvE for skilling up your character. Crafting is basic with the ability to harvest and make everything you need. That means the FFA doesn't mean much because you will have 20 sets of everything in the bank if you get killed. You can have housing, but it is limited to finding a deed. Then finding a plot to use it on. Combat is FPS based with an over the shoulder 3rd person melee combat. With the last expansion, there is more to combat than just skill up AOE magic, and kill everyone. Sieges and city ownership is the main focus of DF. Joining and helping a guild will be the best way to expierience DF.

MO will have better crafting. Just weapon crafting alone will have up to 140 millions possible combinations. There is a skill cap so you have to decide what to work on and what type of player you want to be. Housing will be buying a recipe, finding a location and harvesting and building your house. Houses will be destrucable. Combat is much slower in MO than DF and is all FPV. It is more of a RPG style combat with a delay in swinging and blocking. PvE is non-existant at the moment, but may be introduced soon. Seige warfare will not be in at release, but you can build a guild city and protect it with your guild. Not much is working though. Most are placeholders or bugged in beta.

Personally, I think MO will be a better over game in the future. It may not be for 6 months to a year after release though. Just my opinion only from what I have seen so far.

“How many people long for that "past, simpler, and better world," I wonder, without ever recognizing the truth that perhaps it was they who were simpler and better, and not the world about them?”
    R.A.Salvatore

• marmotomarmoto Member CommonPosts: 101

1. Skill Cap which is really important to give some variety to what people can, and more importantly can not be.

2. Better PvE,note please that at the current state of the BETA pve is not yet implemented

• davidemodavidemo Member Posts: 20

3. a LOT better melee combat

4. a LOT better graphics

5. better animations

6. a LOT better sounds

• DunkiDunki Member Posts: 41
    Originally posted by davidemo

3. a LOT better melee combat
    4. a LOT better graphics
    5. better animations
    6. a LOT better sounds

Still a Df player and over 50 hours in MO beta i have to disagree with some of this.    

Melee combat in MO is poor at best, there has not even been an attempt to balance it so troll more, hoping for that next update.

Graphics are great in MO, player models are the weakest aspect.

Most animation current in MO are buggy and broke.  Have you even played it?

World sound is MO wins hands down over DF, i would go as far to say their sound tracks are well done as well.

MO is shaping up nicely.   Darkfall is just now getting out of the buggy stage and feeling like a launch quality game.  Expect a good 6-12 months for MO to reach this same stage and i think it can be a much better game to DF.   It really just needs time to catch up.

ePeenery.com

Originally posted by marmoto

1. Skill Cap which is really important to give some variety to what people can, and more importantly can not be.
    2. Better PvE,note please that at the current state of the BETA pve is not yet implemented

How can it have better pve when its not even in the game? lol    

ePeenery.com

If plans hold true to MO there systems seem to be completely different. 

While darkfall's player housing and city/hamlet placement and construction is static and preplanned, MO allows for them to be dropped anywhere with the only limitation being its proximity to NPC towns and the next closes house or village/city.  Which is a huge feature bonus over what darkfall has to offer

Unlike darkfall, MO will only allow 3rd person View

Mounts in MO are consider pets:  Can not be stored, can wear armor, can be killed, can attack to defend you on their own AI (will)

So far MO has a great head start on macro prevention.  In guarded NPC cities you can be killed if you go afk, you much shout "guards" in chat if you want protection from there.  You cant macro saying it either, as to false calls for help = them killing you.  On top of that simple mouse clicker macros will not work because of many abilities needing the mouse click to be held to charge the ability.   Very nice system so far...

Darkfall allows many things to be stored in banks or inventory for sieges.  All siege weapons need to be crafted and rolled to the battlefield, much like a real war path.

The world is much more dynamic.  If a scout spots a war path coming, he can give word in guild to take out bridges to slow them down.  Their horses will not be able to cross and the incoming party will have to rebuild the bridge.   Many things like this built into the world.

No world map is a really nice feature imo.  Getting lost in an online world has not happened to me in a long time.  While learning the current terrain is not hard, keeping your raiding party together take much more skill.  Which will add huge benifit to those who can do it well.

Another huge advantage for the hardcore crowed is the local banking.  Putting items in one bank only makes them accesssable from that particular bank.

There is much more....

ePeenery.com

• javifugitivojavifugitivo Member Posts: 12

MO is only first person view. And yes, in five or six months, the game will be great!! Now is a BETA that need a lot of testing ;)

• GobwarGobwar Member Posts: 121

Mortal Online differs a lot from darkfall.

Mortal Online is almost completely dynamic game, ranging from crafting to weather... Every item in the game has static values which are changed by the players decision like changing the thickness of your armor and when you do that it will of course protect more, but will also weight more and weight has an impact in your character movement like jumping, side stepping and just movement speed also the look of the weapon changes and you can mix various types of heads and handles to make very unique weapons and that way you have to find the best weapon to suit your needs. Pretty much everything has impact on something what you do in MO. Like building a house, it depends heavily on materials how much will the house have HP. Yes in MO houses are actually build, and they are not conquered like in darkfall to get your premade buildings... Also Mortal Online introduced Etherworld from UO, taming animals. Yes, you won't craft your mount like in darkfall, you have to buy it from a skilled tamer which usually sells them in his own stable house what he has created with his friends / guild. Also in MO there are 8 hit boxes in your character, in darkfall there are 2 of them. 

Of course Mortal Online is a first person game. I would also like to state that MO will aim to Zero virtual restrictions. This means if you see a flower, then take the flower. But without botanic skill you won't know which flower it is and you will basically see it as "red flower" if the flower is red of course.

It is also worth saying that MO will evolve a lot faster than Darkfall, there is simple reason to that. DFO has their own engine which they must configure and optimize so they are able to do more solutions and improve the game. MO will not have this issue because they use the state of the art engine UE 3. They will not have any issues configuring their engine to create new features and add it to the game, because Epic games does it for them. They cooperate a lot because UE want's to be an MMO engine as it is now. See TERA.

MO is the future man :) If you support SV you will definitely see the best sandbox world ever created in just matter of months from now .

You can burn me, but i wont die.

• AzdulAzdul Member UncommonPosts: 440

That's not a proper trolling. Let me show you how to do it:

That's how combat looks like in MO: www.youtube.com/watch

BTW: I like DF, but will definitely try MO when it comes out.

• mrcalhoumrcalhou Member UncommonPosts: 1,444

I'm guessing you couldn't bother to read everything they said before clicking the buy button.

--------
    "Chemistry: 'We do stuff in lab that would be a felony in your garage.'"

The most awesomest after school special T-shirt:
    Front: UNO Chemistry Club
    Back: /\OH --> Bad Decisions

• SasamiSasami Member Posts: 326

Difference between DF and MO? Well DF has fans who hate MO and MO has fans that hate DF, simply.

Basicly they are very same kind a games. Ignore most of comments since they seem to be "Oh it WILL be great" type fanboi comments. Currently MO is very simple and almost all things people are advertising are missing or just plain stubs. Everything is very basic and buggy, basicly you will be working as internal tester.

So if you want to play NOW game full of hardcore asshole fanbois, FFA, "true" PvP and other hardcore shit: Go buy DF. MO won't be anywhere near same state until 6 months or so. My advice would be wait 6 months and then compare these two games, ofc it's highly possible that neither of them excists then.

• Thomas2006Thomas2006 Member RarePosts: 1,152
    Originally posted by Sasami

Difference between DF and MO? Well DF has fans who hate MO and MO has fans that hate DF, simply.
    Basicly they are very same kind a games. Ignore most of comments since they seem to be "Oh it WILL be great" type fanboi comments. Currently MO is very simple and almost all things people are advertising are missing or just plain stubs. Everything is very basic and buggy, basicly you will be working as internal tester.
    So if you want to play NOW game full of hardcore asshole fanbois, FFA, "true" PvP and other hardcore shit: Go buy DF. MO won't be anywhere near same state until 6 months or so. My advice would be wait 6 months and then compare these two games, ofc it's highly possible that neither of them excists then.

I'm not a hardcore DFO fanboi or anything.. But the game isnt that bad when it comes to the community. And as far as the game not being around in 6 months. Well the population of the server is more then healthy right now. There is no real shortage of players to play with and the political clan pvp action is in full force on the US1 server, so plenty of action to be found in the alliance wars.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

Imo MO looks more like oblivion then darkfall but they need to bugfix the game before release else It will be a huge dissapointment :S

• FariicFariic Member Posts: 1,546

It's nothing like DF.

DF was in development for almost 9 years, and has been released for 10 months now.

MO has been in development for about 4 and is nearing the end of beta with a possible pushback on release.

Trolls are pathetic.

• ThenariusThenarius Member Posts: 1,106

I think most people except too much from an indy company.

I mean...EVE at release was terrible. It looked like the work of a 14 years old kid who just discovered Visual Basic.

But it got supported by its fans and it evolved in one of the best MMORPGs ever released.

What it matters is the main idea that the devs focus on. If that's good and not flawed from day 1, then it will result in a great game with support.

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

I hope MO is different from DF, because i will play both of them.

And having two different sandbox MMO will hopefully make one 100% gamiing experience : )

MO is also a Swedish MMO (like me) and i really like the "swedish  feel" to it. It is very much like all the old swedish RP games i have played for the last twenty years with my freinds.

• RyukanRyukan Member UncommonPosts: 829

Mortal Online is still very rough and kind of empty at the moment, but I'll take that version of Mortal Online over Darkfall any day. The first person aspect of Mortal Online is going to turn away more people than a FFA PvP game normally would, although I am fond of the first person perspective and its nice to see a MMO game take this approach and STICK with it, so one is not stuck being forced between 1st and 3rd person views like in Darkfall. Crafting in MO also seems like it has potential to be very cool once it is fleshed out and polished. MO still has a lot of work to it before it is ready for release though and they are WAAAAAAY behind as far as their schedule.

• RuynRuyn Member Posts: 1,052

MO has a long ways to go to come close to the kind of gameplay that Darkfall offers.

That said, MO is a diamond in the rough and with some love and care will be a great MMO.

• TheConfinedTheConfined Member Posts: 46

I would be willing to bet large sums of money that this game will be nothing more than a whisper in the wind in about a year.  It's just so obvious that this team has no clue what they are doing at all.  I'm all for being optimistic and hoping MO turns into a great game but I'm also realistic and I realize that its virtually impossible for a team this small with funds as little as they have to create a game better than what teams many times their size with a great deal more funding could create. 

Look at Vanguard...perfect example of how difficult it is to create a truly cutting edge modern MMO.  They had a team many times the size of Star Vault with a great deal more funding and most of the team were already MMO veterans at that point and even they could not succeed.

With that said, I'd be surprised if Mortal Online isn't disolved into nothing within the next several months.  I wonder if the game will be taken over by someone else or just left to rot. 

• GPrestigeGPrestige Member UncommonPosts: 523
    Originally posted by TheConfined

I would be willing to bet large sums of money that this game will be nothing more than a whisper in the wind in about a year.  It's just so obvious that this team has no clue what they are doing at all.  I'm all for being optimistic and hoping MO turns into a great game but I'm also realistic and I realize that its virtually impossible for a team this small with funds as little as they have to create a game better than what teams many times their size with a great deal more funding could create. 
    Look at Vanguard...perfect example of how difficult it is to create a truly cutting edge modern MMO.  They had a team many times the size of Star Vault with a great deal more funding and most of the team were already MMO veterans at that point and even they could not succeed.
    With that said, I'd be surprised if Mortal Online isn't disolved into nothing within the next several months.  I wonder if the game will be taken over by someone else or just left to rot. 

SOE will buy it and let it die like VG so they have no competition vs EQ2. They are a cancer upon the MMO genre.

-Computer specs no one cares about: check.

-MMOs played no one cares about: check.

-Xfire stats no one cares about: check.

-Signature no one cares about: check.

------------------------------------------------------------
    -Narcissism: check.

• HerculesSASHerculesSAS Member Posts: 1,272
    Originally posted by GPrestige

Originally posted by TheConfined

SOE will buy it and let it die like VG so they have no competition vs EQ2. They are a cancer upon the MMO genre.

SV has very good art assets they can sell if it goes south, but likely by the time they need to it will already be too late, and the entire game will be auctioned off for peanuts in order to try to salvage it.