Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cryptic Guy Announces Forthcoming NON-Combat Trailer!

Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543

While responding to a thread at the official STO forums, one of the devs (I think) said that they'll be releasing a trailer featuring exploration!

forums.startrekonline.com/showpost.php

Many people have been annoyed by all the combat information released for this game at the apparent detriment to any other parts of the game. Maybe this will satiate everyone.

Comments

• BlurrBlurr Member UncommonPosts: 2,155

Neat, I'm looking forward to this one. They've said they'll have exploration, and detailed it a little bit, but we really don't know the meat-and-potatoes of it.

I'm not sure how I feel about the whole "your discoveries are unique to you unless you force share them" type thing.

"Because it's easier to nitpick something than to be constructive." -roach5000

• DrachasorDrachasor Member Posts: 2,678

Well, I'm not expecting much here, I kinda think it might be like standard non-combat quests in MMOs like wow.  "Go grab this" or "go there and talk to this person" or "go there and use this thing."  Hopefully it is better than that, but I'm not holding my breath.

Blurr, that's a truly terrible physics pun you have there.  Why must my life be full of these bad puns?  WHY!? 

• ktanner3ktanner3 Member UncommonPosts: 4,063
    Originally posted by Xondar123

While responding to a thread at the official STO forums, one of the devs (I think) said that they'll be releasing a trailer featuring exploration!
    forums.startrekonline.com/showpost.php
    Many people have been annoyed by all the combat information released for this game at the apparent detriment to any other parts of the game. Maybe this will satiate everyone.

A lot of us have been asking for videos featuring more than just combat. We need videos on:

-exploration

-player progression

-galactic economy

-the mission system

anything else that can draw interest that I haven't thought of.

Currently Playing: World of Warcraft

• BlurrBlurr Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Drachasor

Blurr, that's a truly terrible physics pun you have there.  Why must my life be full of these bad puns?  WHY!? 

Haha, it's actually a joke told by a robot comedian in Futurama, which makes it that much more funny imho. I think perhaps the scientists who name this stuff get bored easily and therefore try to get people to say funny words as much as possible, heh.

"Because it's easier to nitpick something than to be constructive." -roach5000

• Maverz290Maverz290 Member Posts: 447

Yeah, ive got to say that the exploration side of this trailer will interest me, though im not entirely sure how you can 'trailer-ize' a feature like that, maybe a player captain approaching a primitive type of settlement and meeting some alien race you've never seen before, but im waiting with keen interest.

As for the economy, not sure how you can put that in, though perhaps a clip of some kind of mining going on, or a crafting animation? Though i reckon that may just be some guy typing away on a console. I think the economy is something we as players are going to have to experience, and have a hand in helping them shape them. Afterall, the players will utlimately have a large hand in how much things are priced at, so expect rediculous prices until a brave merchant says 'No, im going to sell mine for 'X' amount, which is half the amount of merchant one.'

Come to think of it, i did that kind of thing in star wars galaxies, and i can promise you, it could take a week to see, but the economy would change purely because of my decision to lower the price on a sought after item. That fact that the player gets that kind of influence on the in game economy can be exciting but daunting at the same time. Now, i dont know if it'll be the same cake, but im sure there will be similarities.

Longing for Skyrim, The Old Republic and Mass Effect 3