Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Face of Mankind - What it is and What it isn't

Comments

• MaelkorMaelkor Member UncommonPosts: 459
    Originally posted by Demz2

Originally posted by bloodaxes

I gave it 2 day chance on maybe changing my view but they need to make a real tutorial not a a video with the installation that is viewable when not playing.
    I tried my best on giving it a fair chance but not for me I guess.
    A warning in advance for people that might be interested this game. When you start your just placed into a world without explaining to you anything, the only way to know something is by watching a 39min video or wait for walkthroughs on their forums.
    And the thing that topped it all and made me stop is that there are no npcs ingame or directions that can maybe give an idea of some story or help you on knowing what your doing.

Isnt that what the so called hardcore wartime so called vets on this site kepe saying they want, No so called carebear noob, wow, l2p, hadholding?   Suprising that the so called vets on this site that spout so much crap, and yet this game dosnt have millions of players, or thousands upon thousands.  because fater all we are told repeteadly by the donkeys on this site, sandbox,=no rules, and its all player driven, and its not for carebeears, and the actual contetn is player driven, and that ganking is part of the hardcore sandbox players.  Go on sandbox lovers go play it, i expect it to be full of 500K+ players soon.  This is the game you have been waiting for, in its reincarnation here it is.  Go go now

Well not really. Very few people call for a game to be like this. Most of those people are now playing darkfall - the rest play AoC as their gankfest games of choice. So far all the responses except for one have definately made me not interested in playing this game or even giving it a shot. Like the vast majority of players around here I do not consider ganking to be fun or challenging pvp. I mostly consider it pointless nonsense designed to give immature teenage boys a sense of accomplishment they cant get elsewhere because they suck at the rest of life.

If this game wanted to be at least partially serious they would start you out in a solo instance have you kill a hanfull of mindless robot npcs to give you an idea of what to do control wise etc before putting you into the actual game world. This would probably take the devs about 1 day to code.

• Demz2Demz2 Member Posts: 435

I gave it 2 day chance on maybe changing my view but they need to make a real tutorial not a a video with the installation that is viewable when not playing.
    A warning in advance for people that might be interested this game. When you start your just placed into a world without explaining to you anything, the only way to know something is by watching a 39min video or wait for walkthroughs on their forums.
    And the thing that topped it all and made me stop is that there are no npcs ingame or directions that can maybe give an idea of some story or help you on knowing what your doing.

Isnt that what the so called hardcore wartime so called vets on this site kepe saying they want, No so called carebear noob, wow, l2p, hadholding?   Suprising that the so called vets on this site that spout so much crap, and yet this game dosnt have millions of players, or thousands upon thousands.  because fater all we are told repeteadly by the donkeys on this site, sandbox,=no rules, and its all player driven, and its not for carebeears, and the actual contetn is player driven, and that ganking is part of the hardcore sandbox players.  Go on sandbox lovers go play it, i expect it to be full of 500K+ players soon.  This is the game you have been waiting for, in its reincarnation here it is.  Go go now

Actually I was interesed in the player driven and such things but to not even explain what the hell are you doing in the world is dumb.

For those that didn't get it the "tutorial" clip is not ingame it's a separate file.

Why would u need an explnation of what ur role is, the so called sandbox hardcore, leet, wartime, POW, vets on this site keep spouting about u make of the sandbox game what u will and thats what sandbox is, its all player created.  You dont an explanation.  Funny thing is the so called hardcore leet sandbox players always change the definitions and explanations to suit their own needs. 

• DarkbleachDarkbleach Member Posts: 40

You know I would actually play this but there is one thing holding me back.

Elitists who are running the show. They will never promote you unless you are a vet or a major suck-up.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

Actually I was interesed in the player driven and such things but to not even explain what the hell are you doing in the world is dumb.

For those that didn't get it the "tutorial" clip is not ingame it's a separate file.

Why would u need an explnation of what ur role is, the so called sandbox hardcore, leet, wartime, POW, vets on this site keep spouting about u make of the sandbox game what u will and thats what sandbox is, its all player created.  You dont an explanation.  Funny thing is the so called hardcore leet sandbox players always change the definitions and explanations to suit their own needs. 

Why you need a tutorial you say?

Well let's start by saying everything goes round crafting and mining stuff (Different towns different items to mine) you don't even start with a weapon so either spend hours crafting and figuring out how to craft a damn weapon (which I didn't figure out) or buy one from the auction, same for the armor.

The world is empty and I mean empty you won't find monsters outside or at least other npcs that you can kill for some money and maybe drops, no there will only be players to kill and when you just started I don't think that's what you would want to do till you figure out some tactics on how to fight and which guns and armor is more suited to you.

Oh yeah almost forgot don't think on asking many questions in faction or you will not get answered or they will just keep on saying to go watch the "tutorial" clip or search on FoM forums (Which I found absolutely nothing).

Need I say more?

Originally posted by Maelkor

Well not really. Very few people call for a game to be like this. Most of those people are now playing darkfall - the rest play AoC as their gankfest games of choice. So far all the responses except for one have definately made me not interested in playing this game or even giving it a shot. Like the vast majority of players around here I do not consider ganking to be fun or challenging pvp. I mostly consider it pointless nonsense designed to give immature teenage boys a sense of accomplishment they cant get elsewhere because they suck at the rest of life.

If this game wanted to be at least partially serious they would start you out in a solo instance have you kill a hanfull of mindless robot npcs to give you an idea of what to do control wise etc before putting you into the actual game world. This would probably take the devs about 1 day to code.

Hahaha very few ask for this?  Well yeah that could be true, because the minority 50 or 100 or so active people on this site that think they are the majority sure spout enough crap about how they are hardcore and they dont need rules, handholding, levels etc etc and act like they all want sandbox.  Well here it is

1)No levels

2)player driven

3)no rules, all player driven ( isnt this what the sandbox,hardcoree pow vets keep telling us makes the community?)

4) No stupid story quest drive carebear game lines to follow

5)Factione v faction warfare

6)dont like your faction? hell i can leave it and kill my general.

7) 3 faction pvp ETC ETC ETC.

Come on sandbox pow hardcore vets this is it, all ur dreams come true, now go make this the biggets game u can.

Why you need a tutorial you say?

Well let's start by saying everything goes round crafting and mining stuff (Different towns different items to mine) you don't even start with a weapon so either spend hours crafting and figuring out how to craft a damn weapon (which I didn't figure out) or buy one from the auction, same for the armor.

The world is empty and I mean empty you won't find monsters outside or at least other npcs that you can kill for some money and maybe drops, no there will only be players to kill and when you just started I don't think that's what you would want to do till you figure out some tactics on how to fight and which guns and armor is more suited to you.

Need I say more?

Its sandbox noob u dont need to be told what to do, figure out urself, the world dosnt need content u make ur own story and content. its an empty world, its not a carebear wow game noob. L2P or gtfo.

This is what the sandbox so called players would tell you.

• johnmatthaisjohnmatthais Member CommonPosts: 2,663

I've been playing since the day CB4 started with a break because my Windows partition was acting up. However, I've got to say that in NO way can this game even handle having 500k players. The server lags a lot with less than 1k on. Not to mention, there's not enough space in the entire gameworld to have more than maybe 2k or 3k on at a single time without overcrowding.

Plus, in thinking that, you're full of crap. Realistically, Aion only has about 1 mil players and EvE only has 300k. To think that such an incredibly niche game that doesn't conform to what either party it tries to reach wants (the MMORPG and shooter groups) is going to ever have more than 5k active players, especially given the limited size of the world (each area is more like a huge battleground than an actual roleplaying environment. even the music gives it off. ALL THE TIME.) and the player-driven thing, extreme lack of accessibility, and half the player base being completely clueless as it is, despite its now free status, is so overly pretentious that it should be on the National Enquirer. =P

I love and respect this game. It is one of the few games I can play for hours on end, be doing very little (I'm in FDC. The lack of organization in a faction that runs on organization leaves a lot of standing around time for people that know what they're doing...not to mention all the firing lines and holding areas we're subjected to even long after a battle ends and we're only fighting 2 or 3 enemies that just don't get that it's over) and still enjoy the hell out of.

However, I cannot recommend this game to anyone but the upmost of dedicated gamers that are willing to make it work. All Duplex gives us is the world. You have to be one hell of a player to understand the heavy RP setting, the chain of command you're forced to follow, and the will to make your faction succeed. It is, and always will be, one of the most niche games ever.

• MaelkorMaelkor Member UncommonPosts: 459

Hahaha very few ask for this?  Well yeah that could be true, because the minority 50 or 100 or so active people on this site that think they are the majority sure spout enough crap about how they are hardcore and they dont need rules, handholding, levels etc etc and act like they all want sandbox.  Well here it is

1)No levels

2)player driven

3)no rules, all player driven ( isnt this what the sandbox,hardcoree pow vets keep telling us makes the community?)

4) No stupid story quest drive carebear game lines to follow

5)Factione v faction warfare

6)dont like your faction? hell i can leave it and kill my general.

7) 3 faction pvp ETC ETC ETC.

Come on sandbox pow hardcore vets this is it, all ur dreams come true, now go make this the biggets game u can.

They are all playing Darkfall. This game is about 3 months too late.

• Zorvan01Zorvan01 Member CommonPosts: 390

A sandbox has to at least have some friggin' sand in it. FoM is more of  a litterbox than a sandbox.

image]image

• XemousXemous Member Posts: 255

If anyone is thinking about this game, just some advice,

Dont listen to the asshats on this forum.  They are the same people that troll the darkfall forums.  Everytime they hear the word sandbox they get some theraputic satisfactoin out of constantly bashing the genre, and saying its another word for no content.  They are people that enjoy having their hand taken and walked through a game like a blind deaf grandmother, they see no alternative.  Im not talking about the people that dislike the game, im talking about the people who say "Yeah your better off doing xyz"

In short.  If you like something player driven, with your actions having real consequences on the games direction, give FoM a try.  If you like linear gameplay, with quests, dungeons, mobs, chances are you wont like it.

• DedthomDedthom Member Posts: 541

Content or lack there of , sandbox with or without sand aside, what is the game play like? I watched the video on the website and is seemed to me you can sit in a chair but not crouch behind cover in combat. The combat seemed very stiff with players doing nothing but engaging in long range melee. Is the video accurate or is there more to the combat?

""But Coyote, you could learn! You only prefer keyboard and mouse because that's all you've ever known!" You might say right before you hug a rainforest and walk in sandals to your drum circle where you're trying to raise group consciousness of ladybugs or whatever it is you dirty goddamn hippies do when you're not busy smoking pot and smelling bad."
    Coyote's Howling: Death of the Computer

Combat is in no way long range melee and is also in no way a gankfest or boring. It's insane. It takes patience. It takes strategy. It's a bit slower than its FPS cousins. Still, it's crazy. When you get a good 50v50 going, it's like nothing you've ever experienced before.

• DedthomDedthom Member Posts: 541
    Originally posted by johnmatthais

Combat is in no way long range melee and is also in no way a gankfest or boring. It's insane. It takes patience. It takes strategy. It's a bit slower than its FPS cousins. Still, it's crazy. When you get a good 50v50 going, it's like nothing you've ever experienced before.

So you can duck behind cover to reload and advance on your enemy, instead of standing 5 to 10 feet apart unloading into each other till someone falls down.

""But Coyote, you could learn! You only prefer keyboard and mouse because that's all you've ever known!" You might say right before you hug a rainforest and walk in sandals to your drum circle where you're trying to raise group consciousness of ladybugs or whatever it is you dirty goddamn hippies do when you're not busy smoking pot and smelling bad."
    Coyote's Howling: Death of the Computer

• hidden1hidden1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

I was used to 250+ on-screen players in a pvp race vs. race during a chip war in RFO.  Well that is to say I used to enjoy until the game got swarmed by fly-hackers. :(

Is 50vs.50 really that exiting?... Hmm I may have to look at the video ppl are talking about...

• hidden1hidden1 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244

This is a quote right here from MMORPG.com, from the following link:

http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/91/feature/1844

"Due to limited resources and time, we were never able to complete one major feature in MMOs, which is known as PvE (Player vs. Environment). This is basically known as “content”. We have often been criticized of lacking content, which is true. We are planning to change this now."

Interesting, in the article that developer also talks of Elementum, and the idea about Elementum playing a double roll as currency in the economy and resource for body features and crafting.  I kind of like the idea... well on paper so far.

Originally posted by Dedthom

So you can duck behind cover to reload and advance on your enemy, instead of standing 5 to 10 feet apart unloading into each other till someone falls down.

Yeah, you can. People are just stupid. >.>

Originally posted by hidden1

This is a quote right here from MMORPG.com, from the following link:
     http://www.mmorpg.com/gamelist.cfm/game/91/feature/1844

"Due to limited resources and time, we were never able to complete one major feature in MMOs, which is known as PvE (Player vs. Environment). This is basically known as “content”. We have often been criticized of lacking content, which is true. We are planning to change this now."
    Interesting, in the article that developer also talks of Elementum, and the idea about Elementum playing a double roll as currency in the economy and resource for body features and crafting.  I kind of like the idea... well on paper so far.

Shamefully, it was written a year and a half ago, the game's in Open Beta and none of that seems to be in yet other than objectives.

• seabeastseabeast Member Posts: 748
    Originally posted by Zorvan01

Originally posted by Ottertastic

The negativity here is startling! Well, actually no it isn't :)

Anyways, you judge based off of the old game. Give the new one a try before you go off and bash it. I'll also say that CB was a very poor representation of how the actual game performs.

So you're saying high level charcatres aren't killing new players as soon as they spawn, before they even know what the controls are or how to play? Because unless you can say this is not and cannot happen in the "current" game, then it is the same as the "old" game: gankfest for asshats.

Hmm sonds like a free version of Darkfall

Originally posted by seabeast

Originally posted by Ottertastic

The negativity here is startling! Well, actually no it isn't :)

Anyways, you judge based off of the old game. Give the new one a try before you go off and bash it. I'll also say that CB was a very poor representation of how the actual game performs.

So you're saying high level charcatres aren't killing new players as soon as they spawn, before they even know what the controls are or how to play? Because unless you can say this is not and cannot happen in the "current" game, then it is the same as the "old" game: gankfest for asshats.

Hmm sonds like a free version of Darkfall

Don't listen to Zorvan. Once again, if you get in faction chat, and or, go to your faction's territory, there is very little chance of a gankfest occurring unless you start out in the middle of a war that your faction's in. NYC should be labelled as a "proceed at own risk" territory, though. The Brotherhood (BoS) are supposed to be roleplaying asshats that blow up people that stray from their group of faction-mates. It's just who they've been laid out to be. They also like to hit up NYC because it's where the greatest mix of factions is.

• nAAtimusnAAtimus Member Posts: 342

I just want to throw in that I started playing this game yesterday and did not get ganked once.

I'm not here to complete my forum PVP dailies.

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Regardless of the inane posts of those that based it all on the first 15 minutes, I've been looking for a game that emphasizes player politics and has that "drop you off in the middle of nowhere to fend for yourself" feeling that most sandboxes do, and do well. Complexity has never got me down, so I doubt I will have issues.

I do have a question regarding day to day activities. Like, what do you *do* usually as a group or when assigned tasks?

I would figure on joining the cops, but I would hope there is a lot of things going on that don't involve just blindly checking others for contraband.

~on the point of elitism - DUH - wtf do you think happens with "player politics" - HIGH SCHOOL. Never gonna change, and you can't go into a game like this expecting to start a guild and own things on day one. I am totally able with being told what to do by another player, because what is that guy's job really but to deal with tons of people - lining *them* up with things to do. I'd rather just have things to do *period*.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• GTwanderGTwander Member UncommonPosts: 6,035

Hmm, sounds very likely, but the only way it really affects my outlook still is if the entire game is at "ceasefire" and there's nothing going on, and nobody to assign or allow anything to happen. If it really is a case of "mother may I" for every occasion, then I will probably have issues.

Writer / Musician / Game Designer

Now Playing: Skyrim, Wurm Online, Tropico 4
    Waiting On: GW2, TSW, Archeage, The Rapture

• HeadBytorHeadBytor Member UncommonPosts: 93
    Originally posted by GameRev

IE you say game supports politics, but it is IMPOSSIBLE to topple bad leadership, the only thing you are going to topple is your account, as you gladly press delete once you realize the leadership owns all, and the leadership has been the same leadership for 5 years.. and knows how to create a leadership to continue the same leadership.Not only that, but they as a leadership know how they can exploit all the rules to run you out of town, all while you are playing the game fairly.

and thats why you'll never over throw them unless you get off the forums and do something different.

try finding people who feel the same way, find someone who can take over the role as pres. unless you plan on doing it your self. needs to be a rank 7 i believe. basicly gather an army up and start a civil war. that simple.

• qweasd170qweasd170 Member Posts: 31

This game needs to have a good intro for new players, other than walking out of some cloning facility into some teleporter and then getting killed by some kid who has nothing better to do than kill newbs because this game is so lacking in content. When you add an ingame tutorial, I will probably come back. I like the idea of this game, but don't like the players and ironically, this game is player driven. If people didn't like to grief, there would be a lot more of these types of games. Again, I like the concept, but this game just lacks polish. I would love to play a game like this but sadly, this game has been nearly as fun as I had anticipated. To sum up my dissapointment, it was more satisfying uninstalling the game and saving 1 gig than playing the game.

• iZakaroNiZakaroN Member UncommonPosts: 719

The short translation:
    The dev ( as in single ) won't provide any real content and you are completely dependent on other players to have something to do in the game. It would be a sandbox game except the dev can't be assed to even provide sand. If you enjoy being told what to do by "higher ranking" players, a majority of which were elitist pricks when the game was running the first time, before it shut down due to having a *surprise!* dismal population and almost non-existant cash flow, then this is the game for all you sado-masochist out there.
    My advice: Go to a construction site and pay someone to let you watch them hang drywall. You'll get more entertainment for your money and time.

You suggest to go and play some brainless theme park pseudo-MMO?

Where themepark games try to hide that they are copying WOW, games like Mortal Online and Darkfall make no attempt to hide their inspiration
    ______\m/_____
    LordOfDarkDesire