Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Why does everyone say AO is "dead"?

Comments

• inBOILinBOIL Member Posts: 669

auno.org / character info / online? (Atlantean)  867 peeps

Generation P

• pauldriverpauldriver Member Posts: 198

Sigh.

Jam is sticky.

• Zorvan01Zorvan01 Member CommonPosts: 390
    Originally posted by inBOIL

You should probably mention that Auno.org only shows the online status of characters level 200+.

image]image

Originally posted by Zorvan01

You should probably mention that Auno.org only shows the online status of characters level 200+.

check again,and i didnt want to mention that about half of the players are dual-logged and some triple and orgbots and such,but still its greatgame,but dying

Ps.thank means

Generation P

• HydrobluntHydroblunt Member Posts: 282
    Originally posted by AlysenMinase

But it doesn't affect gameplay as I have said, I can always find parties when I go to the designated spot for that level, so why does it matter? They have enough money, how do you think they're funding all of the updates;boosters;the new engine while planning a new marketing campaign for early next year? At dragoncon 2009 they said they have a healthful population and are sitting comfortable. They made SL, from what I can tell, to give player's option who want dungeons and such like those games while keeping AO's core game like the extra customization and such. And no, I didn't play AO back in the day, but I am enjoying it more today than any MMO I've played. The engine is taking so long because they scrapped two previous entries, and one was almost finished. I know they were planning it for awhile.

Doesn't affect the gameplay?  The game used to run better with 10 times the people on a fraction of the PC specs.  Omni Trade/Bor/Athens would abll be PACKED with ppl looking to team.  Tower battles used to go on. It's not even a comparison to today.

But like you said, you never played the game back then.  You really just do not know.  Leave it at that.  AO is about as alive as Vanguard is.

Playing: EvE, Warhammer free unlimited trial, Allods Online
    Played: Anarchy Online, WoW, Warhammer, AoC, Ryzom. Aion
    Strongly Recommend: Ryzom, EvE, Allods Online

Originally posted by metalhead980
    Hell AO has like 20-30k subs? that's not bad.

I think it's sad & pathetic.  This game could be pushing 500k subs like EvE right now.  It was one of the top MMOs back in the day.

In the current market, it can easily become a top dog as the niche for a deep quality innovative game has only gotten larger.  There is also the sc-fi aspect, which is so lacking in other MMOs.

The really pathetic part is that even older vets like me won't play it again because it runs like sh*t on a PC that leagues above that it requires.  That is just plain stupidity.  It runs so bad it's unbearable.

I often just scratch my head at the idiocy of Funcom.  They have a wonderful game just sitting here rotting.  Revamped, it would be a success.  Instead they dump another huge investment into Secret World so that they can have another winderful release like AoC.

• brian72282brian72282 Member UncommonPosts: 783
    Originally posted by Hydroblunt

Originally posted by metalhead980
    Hell AO has like 20-30k subs? that's not bad.

I think it's sad & pathetic.  This game could be pushing 500k subs like EvE right now.  It was one of the top MMOs back in the day.

In the current market, it can easily become a top dog as the niche for a deep quality innovative game has only gotten larger.  There is also the sc-fi aspect, which is so lacking in other MMOs.

The really pathetic part is that even older vets like me won't play it again because it runs like sh*t on a PC that leagues above that it requires.  That is just plain stupidity.  It runs so bad it's unbearable.

I often just scratch my head at the idiocy of Funcom.  They have a wonderful game just sitting here rotting.  Revamped, it would be a success.  Instead they dump another huge investment into Secret World so that they can have another winderful release like AoC.

Last I heard, they were discussing a complete remake of the game.  Not just graphics, but gameplay from the ground up.  We'll see if that happens. Again, discussing not actually planning.

• AlysenMinaseAlysenMinase Member Posts: 361

But it doesn't affect gameplay as I have said, I can always find parties when I go to the designated spot for that level, so why does it matter? They have enough money, how do you think they're funding all of the updates;boosters;the new engine while planning a new marketing campaign for early next year? At dragoncon 2009 they said they have a healthful population and are sitting comfortable. They made SL, from what I can tell, to give player's option who want dungeons and such like those games while keeping AO's core game like the extra customization and such. And no, I didn't play AO back in the day, but I am enjoying it more today than any MMO I've played. The engine is taking so long because they scrapped two previous entries, and one was almost finished. I know they were planning it for awhile.

Doesn't affect the gameplay?  The game used to run better with 10 times the people on a fraction of the PC specs.  Omni Trade/Bor/Athens would abll be PACKED with ppl looking to team.  Tower battles used to go on. It's not even a comparison to today.

But like you said, you never played the game back then.  You really just do not know.  Leave it at that.  AO is about as alive as Vanguard is.

I said nothing about the engine affecting gameplay, please read. And you can always find teams in leveling areas if you go to the preferred spot for that level, I didn't have to play back then to know that. Read the forums, there's always at least one TL battle going on for each rank. Tower battles are happening all the time since it announced them in game. I know the engine is, bad, it does run bad on good pc's, but most likely that's getting fixed with the new engine.

Playing - EVE, Wurm

Retired - Final Fantasy XI, Anarchy Online, Mabinogi

Waiting - ArcheAge, Salem

Originally posted by brian72282

Last I heard, they were discussing a complete remake of the game.  Not just graphics, but gameplay from the ground up.  We'll see if that happens. Again, discussing not actually planning.

AO community has heard that for the last 5 years, at least.  If it ever happens, I will be there at launch.

AO community has heard that for the last 5 years, at least.  If it ever happens, I will be there at launch.

I believe MMORPG.com's latest review with Funcom said that they are officially discussing it, but that no firm plans are being made yet.

I said nothing about the engine affecting gameplay, please read. And you can always find teams in leveling areas if you go to the preferred spot for that level, I didn't have to play back then to know that. Read the forums, there's always at least one TL battle going on for each rank. Tower battles are happening all the time since it announced them in game. I know the engine is, bad, it does run bad on good pc's, but most likely that's getting fixed with the new engine.

You can only find teams for 200+, aka the dual boxing die hard fans.  Like I said, you can't make any comparison to AO back in the day and just do not know.  The subs are rock bottom even with the froobs.  No more than 1000 people on essentially 1 server, as the other one is dead.  As stated before, it's about as alive as Vanguard.

As for the new engine, once again, you just don't know.  It's been promised & "worked on" for 5+ years.  The players back then made it very known that AO badly needs updated graphics & client.  The developers paid some ear service but obviously did not put that much effort into it.  Hence the result, the game runs like shit on up to date PCs.  I really do not pay much respect to their string of excuses, if the proper effort was applied, this game would be up to date.

• EkarosEkaros Member UncommonPosts: 367

Not as reworking gameplay, but more of rebalancing all around classes. They have atleast released some preliminary documents about perks and are reworking those, also they are implementing new features. It's quite suprising how they have finaly started working on old code and not just add some new content.

For sake of current dev-team I hope AO won't die, they have improved lot from previous times...

I believe MMORPG.com's latest review with Funcom said that they are officially discussing it, but that no firm plans are being made yet.

I'll look that up.  But that sounds like their old speak back then.  You can see the results.  Jack Sh*t.

Once again, I'm never cease to be amazed by the idiocy of executive & operational workings of Funcom.  There is not anything to discuss, this game has a great core that already has been a success with the non-retard non WoW MMO gamers and can be so again. 

• AlysenMinaseAlysenMinase Member Posts: 361

You can only find teams for 200+, aka the dual boxing die hard fans.  Like I said, you can't make any comparison to AO back in the day and just do not know.  The subs are rock bottom even with the froobs.  No more than 1000 people on essentially 1 server, as the other one is dead.  As stated before, it's about as alive as Vanguard.

As for the new engine, once again, you just don't know.  It's been promised & "worked on" for 5+ years.  The players back then made it very known that AO badly needs updated graphics & client.  The developers paid some ear service but obviously did not put that much effort into it.  Hence the result, the game runs like shit on up to date PCs.  I really do not pay much respect to their string of excuses, if the proper effort was applied, this game would be up to date.

Not true, I found subway, ToTW, and SL teams easy. Some I was invited to not even seeking a team, but just by passing by. Please read the site, a previous engine was scrapped that they were very far into, so they basically had to start over. They're releasing updates and screens every Friday, so they're making progress.

Playing - EVE, Wurm

Retired - Final Fantasy XI, Anarchy Online, Mabinogi

Waiting - ArcheAge, Salem

Not true, I found subway, ToTW, and SL teams easy. Some I was invited to not even seeking a team, but just by passing by. Please read the site, a previous engine was scrapped that they were very far into, so they basically had to start over. They're releasing updates and screens every Friday, so they're making progress.

You're sounding like a blind fanboi.  When I logged in for an hour back in June, it was DEAD for lvls below 200.  I'll take what I saw rather than your rhetoric which just absurd & incosistent with what the majority say.

I don't need to re-read about their escapades with the engine, it's been heard for over 5 years.  You obviously fail to grasp the length of 5 years in the scope of a MMO developer working to upgrade a graphics engine.  It's just plain FAIl and a pathetic effort.  Once againk you just do not know and were not around back when Funcom was promising progress, releasing images and giving timelines & release estimates.  5+ YEARS!

Whatever progress they may have made, the game is nearly unplayable on my PC, my laptop or really for anyone who does not have a 5 year old computer.

Originally posted by Ekaros

Not as reworking gameplay, but more of rebalancing all around classes. They have atleast released some preliminary documents about perks and are reworking those, also they are implementing new features. It's quite suprising how they have finaly started working on old code and not just add some new content.

For sake of current dev-team I hope AO won't die, they have improved lot from previous times...

Are they ever gonna stop being stubborn and decide to add a centralized market/AH system?  At least a regional one like EvE?

• CorthalaCorthala Member UncommonPosts: 283

Last time I played AO it was dead for people without an Org.

If you are in an Org you will always have people for teams(leveling, raids, pvp) but if you aren't in an Org , good luck getting from level 140ish to level 205.

"you are like the world revenge on sarcasm, you know that?"

One of those great lines from The Secret World

Originally posted by Corthala

Last time I played AO it was dead for people without an Org.
    If you are in an Org you will always have people for teams(leveling, raids, pvp) but if you aren't in an Org , good luck getting from level 140ish to level 205.

QFT

I used to be a subscriber, even got a year, but quit after 3 months because I couldn't get into one of the better orgs that had people of all levels and classes.  I'd consider coming back if I could actually find a decent corp that is active.

check again,and i didnt want to mention that about half of the players are dual-logged and some triple and orgbots and such,but still its greatgame,but dying

Ps.thank means

http://auno.org/ao/char.php

Light background: data changed in latest update - Bold: currently online

(online status only available for level 200+ characters on Atlantean)

And yes, it's pretty much a guarantee that any large group of players you see will mainly consist of multi-logs ( including groups you see fighting in PvM since most just use a pocket tank/doc ) and fr00b bank toons. And AO is a great game, and yes it is dying. Not dead, but definitely dying.

image]image

Means has said there will be no "remake". It's took everything he has to convince FC to even allow the the engine upgrade. It's basically a skeleton crew project with little support from the head company. Anything that would take financial resources above what AO brings in simply isn't going to happen.

This new engine is the final sink or swim for AO. If it does not bring in the new players like they hope it will so that they can show a reason to invest more into it, forget it.

image]image

Means has said there will be no "remake". It's took everything he has to convince FC to even allow the the engine upgrade. It's basically a skeleton crew project with little support from the head company. Anything that would take financial resources above what AO brings in simply isn't going to happen.

This new engine is the final sink or swim for AO. If it does not bring in the new players like they hope it will so that they can show a reason to invest more into it, forget it.

I'd argue that point.  It is true they have limited resources, but the idea would not be using the existing team, but rather one of their multiple teams that are working on a bunch of other projects atm.  Once The Secret World is done, that large development team will be shifted to another project.  The question at this point is if they would actually be wise in completely revamping the game, or if they should stay with what they have.

I'd argue that point.  It is true they have limited resources, but the idea would not be using the existing team, but rather one of their multiple teams that are working on a bunch of other projects atm.  Once The Secret World is done, that large development team will be shifted to another project.  The question at this point is if they would actually be wise in completely revamping the game, or if they should stay with what they have.

Again, no success with the new engine, it won't matter how many teams they have available.

image]image

• WarjinWarjin Member UncommonPosts: 1,216

Bleh.

And who says cute chics don't play MMO's ? lol No but Dead now days is 100k subs, AO is strong game I played It for years back in the day.

I really Hope they Remake this game AO 2 or some sort.

http://auno.org/ao/char.php

Light background: data changed in latest update - Bold: currently online

(online status only available for level 200+ characters on Atlantean)

And yes, it's pretty much a guarantee that any large group of players you see will mainly consist of multi-logs ( including groups you see fighting in PvM since most just use a pocket tank/doc ) and fr00b bank toons. And AO is a great game, and yes it is dying. Not dead, but definitely dying.

OK,please try it out and talk then ???

auno.org /character info / online (atlantean) 406 peeps,including

# Name Profession Breed Gender Level AI Faction RK Guild Rank 401 Punkette Bureaucrat Solitus Female 1 0 Omni 1 Punk Veteran

402 Raidcrash Bureaucrat Atrox Neuter 1 0 Omni 1 KAZE Applicant

403 Rrbot Bureaucrat Solitus Female 1 0 Omni 1 Ragnarok Applicant

404 Tetnbot Engineer Atrox Neuter 1 0 Omni 1 TETN Unit Member

405 Tranqie Bureaucrat Atrox Neuter 1 0 Omni 1 No guild No rank

406 Vlbot Fixer Atrox Neuter 1 0 Omni 1 No guild No rank

if you ask me ,those are lvl 1 peeps.

lvl220 / 121peeps

lvl200-219 / 95 peeps

lvl 100-199 / 127 peeps

lvl 1-99 / 63 peeps

Generation P

OK,please try it out and talk then ???

I just did, and you're right. My apologies.

image]image