Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Trek Online: Hands-On Preview

Comments

• gadunkgadunk Member UncommonPosts: 164

I'll be avoiding this like the plague.

Cryptic's AI for pets in their games has always been terrible. CO's pet AI was worse, WAY worse, than my Necro pets in Everquest um, 10 years ago? And now they're basically giving most every mission "team members" that are basically glorified pets? no way jose!

• C04LC04L Member UncommonPosts: 22

Yep, nice insight. Thanks Danna, looking foreward to wednesdays installment.

Nice to that cryptic made it tactical in space, very authentic. as you say, "Away" combat is needing some touch up.. I'm looking foreward to see what happens over the next couple of months.

By the Way, Does anyone know if STO will be a world-wide release or a reagional release plan?

• CerionCerion Member Posts: 1,005
    Originally posted by nekollx

Originally posted by Nirwyl

The whole exploration thing is probably just going to be a random mission generator, which isn't really exploration at all. Go to a certain place in a game, get a new space system to "explore." Don't like it? Exit and then get a whole new system to "explore".

At least their trying something, Tell me how they should have done that? Go on, you have a better idea, share. Rember if it's static it will be on Wiki in 48 hours.

I have a better idea -- or at least I can point you to a genius programmer who does:  Check out Infinity: The Quest for Earth.

As for the article, a job well done by Dana. All the MMORPG.com journalists should look at this article, study it, and copy its style for future game previews. Objective and thorough.

Having said that...still not jazzed about STO.

Games I'm watching: Infinity: The Quest for Earth, Force of Arms.

Find the Truth: http://www.factcheck.org/

• NoobkilarNoobkilar Member Posts: 175

I  like space games like eve etc, I watched star trek a few times I sorta liked it but tbh I'd have to get a beta invite or free trial before I buy this game as It's too shady on how the pvp system works, if it is going to be a true mmo where you can group with others often.....So much left to explain or I need to read more it did spark a interst tho and I am sure my nerdy neighbors will buy the CE  so I can just go over there to watch em play lol.

• Demz2Demz2 Member Posts: 435

Where is the MMOPRG gone in this?  This just sounds like any bloody single player star trek game u can play atm on the PC.   Hell I was playing star trek games based on voyager with away missions where u controlld a squad of avatars 6+ years ago. This whole game sounds bloody bizzare to me.  Crytpic have lost their marbles big style.

• ArcheminosArcheminos Member Posts: 283
    Originally posted by Demz2

Where is the MMOPRG gone in this?  This just sounds like any bloody single player star trek game u can play atm on the PC.   Hell I was playing star trek games based on voyager with away missions where u controlld a squad of avatars 6+ years ago. This whole game sounds bloody bizzare to me.  Crytpic have lost their marbles big style.

And I was playing a game with elves and casting spells against orcs 10 years ago, what exactly is your point? The MMORPG aspect is forming fleets to take on the Borg, or the Scimitar-class warbirds, or a wall of Birds of Prey.  I don't mean to sound insulting, but your argument makes no sense at all to me, could you elaborate?

• MMO_DoubterMMO_Doubter Member Posts: 5,056

Not if the game is profitable. If they sell enough boxes, enough CEs, enough long-term subs, and get enough people to stay subbed for 4-6 months, then the game will be profitable.

If it goes into maintenance mode after a year, the investors will have made their Return On Investment and be satisfied enough to fund the next craptastic MMO-lite Cryptic churns out.

We have seen enough of these MMO releases to suspect that this is indeed the business model in use.

It's not that they have lost their marbles - it's that we and they have totally different ideas of 'success'.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• BademBadem Member Posts: 830
    Originally posted by Cerion

The whole exploration thing is probably just going to be a random mission generator, which isn't really exploration at all. Go to a certain place in a game, get a new space system to "explore." Don't like it? Exit and then get a whole new system to "explore".

At least their trying something, Tell me how they should have done that? Go on, you have a better idea, share. Rember if it's static it will be on Wiki in 48 hours.

I have a better idea -- or at least I can point you to a genius programmer who does:  Check out Infinity: The Quest for Earth.

As for the article, a job well done by Dana. All the MMORPG.com journalists should look at this article, study it, and copy its style for future game previews. Objective and thorough.

man is infinity still going? I cant wait to see that game

STO will never deliver everything everyone wants in a game, its one reason why they have shifted the concept to a war scenario.Just doing the IP as diplomacy only would have (probably) resulted in a short attention span for gamers.

The only game I know that made Diplomacy fun was Vanguard, with its deck of cards approach, but even that had its limitations.

I am enjoying what STO has to offer so far, like any game, its goning to ahve its naysayers and its fans, some people hate the game because they cant have fully managed Player Crews (just how interesting can you make 'Divert power to shields'?)

The beta is still ongoing atm, why not let them get that complete before everyone starts hating on the game?

• Demz2Demz2 Member Posts: 435
    Originally posted by Archeminos

And I was playing a game with elves and casting spells against orcs 10 years ago, what exactly is your point? The MMORPG aspect is forming fleets to take on the Borg, or the Scimitar-class warbirds, or a wall of Birds of Prey.  I don't mean to sound insulting, but your argument makes no sense at all to me, could you elaborate?

Where has the actual meeting of other players in cities or space or planets gone? Where has crafting gone?, where has diplomacy or some sort of faction wars gone?, where has interstellar diplomacy or treaties gone, where has PVP gone. Id expect this all from a bloody Star trek game, other than flying around space, and then being beamed upon a fuucking mission in a scenario with 4 bloody NPC avatars.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by valkerus

I guess i'm a "glass is half empty" kinda guy, but why do i get the feeling that this is going to be space, static ship and multiple missions that amount to like 8 randomly generated maps with different henchmen strewn about like COH?  Time will tell i guess.

I find that if a game is surrounded  by it's missions ,it will end up being super linear and play exactly like a single player game.

I used to like those types of games,but i guess i am spoiled now,i cannot stand mission oriented games.I like "the game" to be totally open ended with my choice to do missions if i wanted.I really liked the way FFXI did missions,they were not a MUST to level up nor a MUST or to get rich or gain xp or valuable items,,they were designed to be added content,witch is exactly the way i like it.

The way they describe this "breaking the game into episodes" based on the movie,i really feel like it is going to be that mission based game,as boring as playing EVE.

I like the vision that the majority of people wanted and that was "ALL the content"from living on the ship ,to planet exploration/combat/housing,the whole works.Obviously it takes a lot more effort but hey Cryptic inherited 3/4 of the game already,so why couldn't they put in the effort for massive content.

My gut tells me people are going to be very disappointed in this game,too bad,i was a sort of trekky fan back in the day,i would love to see the game turn out great.Anyone that knows the background of this game,knows Cryptic pretty much inherited the entire game,so i highly doubt they sought all the work if they did not plan on using the original work,this is why ,i doubt there was any after effect on this game.By that i mean it is what Perpetual made it,Cryptic is just the cash cow.

If Cryptic was SERIOUS about a trek game,they would have designed it from the ground up with their own vision and creative content,acquiring someone else's work ,is a dead giveaway that it won't be much of a game,especially from a developer that never finished a game.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• BlurrBlurr Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by MMO_Doubter

Originally posted by gatheris

so the whole star trek exploration thing is out the window?

Aside from the names and images, the whole 'Trek' thing is out the window.

They have said there will be diplomacy and exploration of new worlds and new civilizations.

"Because it's easier to nitpick something than to be constructive." -roach5000

• Originally posted by Obidom

Originally posted by Cerion

man is infinity still going? I cant wait to see that game

STO will never deliver everything everyone wants in a game, its one reason why they have shifted the concept to a war scenario.Just doing the IP as diplomacy only would have (probably) resulted in a short attention span for gamers.

The only game I know that made Diplomacy fun was Vanguard, with its deck of cards approach, but even that had its limitations.

I am enjoying what STO has to offer so far, like any game, its goning to ahve its naysayers and its fans, some people hate the game because they cant have fully managed Player Crews (just how interesting can you make 'Divert power to shields'?)

The beta is still ongoing atm, why not let them get that complete before everyone starts hating on the game?

I just checked out Infinity because of Cerion's post and well... holy mother of MMOs!! I guess it may never come to fruition but that IS the kind of vision that science fiction (imho) warrants. It puts things on the kind of mind-blowing scale that some of the stories from Isaac Asimov used to do in my younger years. STO sounds like a mini-game in comparison and like other posters I struggle too to get excited about it. I struggle too to understand why it is an MMO...

Originally posted by Blurr

They have said there will be diplomacy and exploration of new worlds and new civilizations.

"" Voice acting isn't an RPG element....it's just a production value." - grumpymel2

• MickleMickle Member UncommonPosts: 127

Where is the crafting?  They said there would be crafting but nobody talks about it.

Randomly-generated worlds and civilizations. Can you imagine how lame randomly-generated civilizations will be?

I have played single-player games with random content. It tends to suck.

Originally posted by Strap
    I struggle too to understand why it is an MMO...

It's because WoW is an MMO, and has made billions of dollars.

• GylfiGylfi Member UncommonPosts: 708

Randomly-generated worlds and civilizations. Can you imagine how lame randomly-generated civilizations will be?

I have played single-player games with random content. It tends to suck.

Still better than go kill 10 space rats and bring their space testicles.

I like Cryptic struggling to give an experience as similar to the tv shows as they can, it's admirable.

If some people around here would play a Star Trek MMO more like WoW, instead of one that feels more like an episode, those people are nuts.

I'd rather play a crappy system that is NEW and original(because it can be improved), instead of one that's "good" because it has been used in 20 other games. 

• someforumguysomeforumguy Member RarePosts: 4,088

Starship combat in STO sounds more like naval warfare then spacecombat to me. Except for the tilting perhaps :) But its odd that you cant roll, because ' rarely did Star Trek ever show upside down ships in the shows' lol. Just because it made a prettier picture in the shows, doesnt make it less effective in tactical combat. And to the writer, there is no up and down in space.

Im disappointed that Cryptic didnt flesh out the ship vs ship combat, but sticked to what they already did in other of their games (tank, spank and healing).

I expected to be able to board enemy ships (npc or playerships), disable subsystems to prevent them from getting away (engine, core etc). Also a team on board, not just one player on a ship. The 'everyone wants to be captain' argument doesnt hold, if you simply make other positions on the ship exciting. Besides you can simply make it like in SWG (but with more depth then that old game of course), where the owner of the gunboat is 'captain'.  If there was boarding of other ships outside the missions specifically designed for it, people would also be interested in defending the ship or boarding the enemy's ship.

With the bridge just a social hub, itll be rarely used by others then yourself, just like houses in many MMORPG's that have barely functionality. Its just fluff, nothing more.

I love the fact that i'll control a team of 4 persons in away missions(cause i like those games), altho i would have preferred a team of at least 20 real persons inside a ship, persons i need to know, work with, discuss the next steps of action.

And this leads to the next problem, which is puzzles! For a mission to be interesting, it must offer some kind of challenge. Where exactly will this be? Usually in the episode the crew has to work hard to get informations, and these lead to several courses of action to choose among, actions that may either solve the situation or lead to catastrophy. And this is valid also when the ship is face-to-face with another ship, there's several possibilities, only one is the best, maybe 2 lead to a medium outcome.

We can resume these to violent and non-violent choices, and several grey-areas.

but there MUST be choices, it's the fulcrum of the series, the suspence, the realism imbued to it that got people to love 'em.

Without choices and speculative puzzles(with written historical records to read to get clues, tricorders to examine, panels to search, everything!), the game would end up being mob spam, boring ship battles that have nothing of SCI-FI except the looks. They said it themselves, the battles feel like pirates of the burning sea... that's a shame, SCI-FI is not aesthetical difference, just sea battles and pirates but all in space.

• Darth_OsorDarth_Osor Member Posts: 1,089

They can't even give us details about 1 of the 2 playable factions, so forgive us for being skeptical about the game having anything resembling the depth of real MMOs. 

Do you realize that when you say "the depth of real MMO's" you're referring to the cloned elements coming from damn warcraft?

That's the whole reason why they don't make original MMO's anymore, because we are scared.

When you said there's nothing of the real MMO's you were scared because you didn't see anything you could recognize and feel comfortable with. You felt in a strange and awkward world you don't recognize, it's frightening.

I doubt STO will actually be different and strange, but it's exactly the fear of exploring newgrounds that keep us from seeing new MMO's, because i repeat, new things feel awkward and inferior.

In a way you symbolize the cause of all our misery.

• Darth_OsorDarth_Osor Member Posts: 1,089
    Originally posted by Gylfi

Do you realize that when you say "the depth of real MMO's" you're referring to the cloned elements coming from damn warcraft?
    That's the whole reason why they don't make original MMO's anymore, because we are scared.
    When you said there's nothing of the real MMO's you were scared because you didn't see anything you could recognize and feel comfortable with. You felt in a strange and awkward world you don't recognize, it's frightening.
    I doubt STO will actually be different and strange, but it's exactly the fear of exploring newgrounds that keep us from seeing new MMO's, because i repeat, new things feel awkward and inferior.

I'm not sure WTH you are talking about, and I've never even played WoW FYI.  At this point in MMO history, I doubt anyone is going to come up with anything new or original...it's all going to be a matter of what combination of existing ideas are used and how they are presented.

Not only is there nothing new or original shown so far, it's lacking anything resembling features people being asked to pay $15 a month expect.   Devs have compared leveling your NPC bridge officers to crafting FFS.  If that's your idea of original, I'll pass.  LOL I'm not "scared" of anything about STO other than maybe it will be a disaster of biblical proportions because it's a shallow pewpew MMO lite like Cryptic's most recent MMO, and that it will be 10 years before someone makes a real Star Trek MMO.

• DanaDana Member Posts: 2,415
    Originally posted by someforumguy

And to the writer, there is no up and down in space.

There is when you cannot turn "upside down" ;)

The English language doesn't exactly have words to describe that clearly, so since you're fixed like you would be on Earth, I figured up and down drew the mental picture readers needed.

Dana Massey
    Formerly of MMORPG.com
    Currently Lead Designer for Bit Trap Studios

• JYCowboyJYCowboy Member UncommonPosts: 652
    Originally posted by Dana

Originally posted by someforumguy

And to the writer, there is no up and down in space.

There is when you cannot turn "upside down" ;)

The English language doesn't exactly have words to describe that clearly, so since you're fixed like you would be on Earth, I figured up and down drew the mental picture readers needed.

You don't want to see my mental picture.  Lets just say "up and down" is key to the meaning of life.

Good write-up Dana, and I look forward to more info on STO.

Originally posted by Darth_Osor

Originally posted by Gylfi

I'm not sure WTH you are talking about, and I've never even played WoW FYI.  At this point in MMO history, I doubt anyone is going to come up with anything new or original...it's all going to be a matter of what combination of existing ideas are used and how they are presented.

Not only is there nothing new or original shown so far, it's lacking anything resembling features people being asked to pay $15 a month expect.   Devs have compared leveling your NPC bridge officers to crafting FFS.  If that's your idea of original, I'll pass.  LOL I'm not "scared" of anything about STO other than maybe it will be a disaster of biblical proportions because it's a shallow pewpew MMO lite like Cryptic's most recent MMO, and that it will be 10 years before someone makes a real Star Trek MMO.

Yeah you are scared. You wanna see things you already know, they make you feel at ease and like you own MMO's.

You don't do that with STO at the moment, and you respond with anger and refusal.

You are a puppet in the hands of someone else, and you don't know it.