Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blade & Soul: Full G-Star '09 Trailer

MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Blade & Soul, NCSoft's next hotly anticipated title was finally, and fully revealed at this year's G-Star exhibition in Korea.

Not satisfied with the epic nine minute length of their "Vision" trailer for Aion, Blade & Soul's reveal trailer clocks in at a full 11 minutes in length and shows off the game in all its glory.

The trailer reveals four new classes, the Destroyer, the Force Master, the Blade Master, and the Kung Fu Master, as well as four new races, the Gon, the Jin, the Kun, and the Lyn.

Blade & Soul features the art style and direction of legendary Korean artist Hyung-tae Kim, who is known to most gamers for his work on the beautiful Magna Carta RPG series. Kim's style is described as a "stylized exaggeration of a character's body" in a recent interview with the artist at IGN, and this is clearly visible in the Blade & Soul trailer revealed today.

Blade & Soul will feature fast action gameplay, more akin to a fighting game than your typical sandwich combat found in many traditional MMOG's, and will even include elements of platforming.

The game is being designed on Unreal Engine 3, and currently has no set release date, though 2011 is a possibility. An NA/EU localization has not yet been announced.

View the trailer here, and let us know your thoughts in the comments below!

Comments

• razerblade29razerblade29 Member UncommonPosts: 230

Who would of thought the first charecter u see is a half fury, followed by a scantily clad anime girl with huge eyes, while at the same time there using overdone visual effects. Seems kinda typical and cliche to me

• EricDanieEricDanie Member UncommonPosts: 2,238

Unreal Engine 3, finally it is here for MMOs.

Not my kind of gameplay (martial arts focused), but we'll see, as long as it isn't some pay-to-win game aka cash shops, animation and graphic quality is way too solid to simply ignore.

• HolgranthHolgranth Member Posts: 380

Well its certianly shiny. I'll get excited in a couple years when we get some details.

Dem hibbies! Dey be wrong!

• MyskMysk Member Posts: 982
    Originally posted by razerblade29

Who would of thought the first charecter u see is a half fury, followed by a scantily clad anime girl

Gosh, I wasn't going to bother watching 'till I read that. Who can pass up fury anime gurls? omg hawt rite?!?

Also: Blade & Bots (couldn't resist)

Also also: That gal has Chun-Li legs. Just say'n

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Well all I can say is a poor rippoff of soal calaber,  he he all the fight seens are dirrect copies of that game.  The only difference is instead of soul calaber for the xbox or ps3 now you get it in mmo for for the pc.

I also noticed how they tried to make all the toons look sexy.

Oh well ncsoft another loosing game that I am so not inerested in.

• mrroboto40mrroboto40 Member UncommonPosts: 657

I can't believe the ignorance in Western society, it's actually disgusting.

Other than that, game looks awesome can't wait to see it come over here.

• EuphorykEuphoryk Member Posts: 450

Looks fun to me, which is a good enough reason to try it out.

Combat looks insane.

• CursedseiCursedsei Member Posts: 1,012
    Originally posted by Mysk

Hey, I bet I ain't the only one willing to let Chun Li (or Cammy) kick me around... =P

As for the game, I definitely liked the calligraphy-brush styled summon at the beginning of the trailer, sadly it doesn't seem to repeat itself later on, as I figured it was the Force Master doing it (but they shown nothing of it later on). Also, the gun-toting character doesn't seem to fit into any of those classes, so I wonder if that was just a story-event type of quest (explaining why the pick-him-up-by-the-face-and-throw-him-over-cliff thing was necessary) and he was a mob, or if that was a hint at a future class or subclass.

I do have to admit though, that a run and cast mage sounds pretty fun.

and erict, how the hell is the game like Soul Calibur? Please explain on that. And the lyn are sexy? Really? They're a bunch of kid-like foxes and you find that sexy...? One word.

Creeeeeeeepy

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    Originally posted by Cursedsei

Hey, I bet I ain't the only one willing to let Chun Li (or Cammy) kick me around... =P

As for the game, I definitely liked the calligraphy-brush styled summon at the beginning of the trailer, sadly it doesn't seem to repeat itself later on, as I figured it was the Force Master doing it (but they shown nothing of it later on). Also, the gun-toting character doesn't seem to fit into any of those classes, so I wonder if that was just a story-event type of quest (explaining why the pick-him-up-by-the-face-and-throw-him-over-cliff thing was necessary) and he was a mob, or if that was a hint at a future class or subclass.

and erict, how the hell is the game like Soul Calibur? Please explain on that. And the lyn are sexy? Really? They're a bunch of kid-like foxes and you find that sexy...? One word.

Creeeeeeeepy

Though to be honest, having a character that is an adorable and endearing mouse girl who can summon demons from beyond is just so funny to me it is the first time I ever even considered playing such a character.

It's like the daughter I'll never have!

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Creeeeeeeepy

For starters a ll the fighting looked like ring events.  Half the animations I saw I look exactly like what you can see on the xbox 360.    As for the other half clothed femail toons  running around ha that kind of thing does nothing for me at my age.  Then to add its made by ncsoft,  that is enough for me to go no thank you. 

• EuphorykEuphoryk Member Posts: 450
    Originally posted by erictlewis

Then to add its made by ncsoft,  that is enough for me to go no thank you. 

If you are negatively biased against NCSoft by your own admission, then why are you even posting in the thread to begin with?

Pretty trollish behaviour.

• MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555

Who would of thought the first charecter u see is a half fury, followed by a scantily clad anime girl

That'd be the "stylized over exaggeration" I mentioned in the news piece. Pretty much Hyung-tae Kim's trademark.

In fact, here are some of Kim's renditions of Street Fighter characters, including Chun-li! :)

streetfighterx.org/index.php

The Cammy image actually demonstrates his "over exaggeration" style more so than his Chun-li rendition.

• kzaskekzaske Member UncommonPosts: 518

I think my favorite part was the destroyer taking care of the guy with the fire arms. The quasi-furry is cute, perhaps too cute. Overall, there was little in the trailer to get my attention. Yeah it looks great, so did AoC. It tells me nothing about game play, just a lot of 5 cent eye candy.

• Nostromo21Nostromo21 Member UncommonPosts: 76

Originally posted by mrroboto40
    I can't believe the ignorance in Western society, it's actually disgusting.
    Other than that, game looks awesome can't wait to see it come over here.

I can't believe the arrogance in Eastern society, it's actually revolting (not that you're representative of any Asian I ever met :-p).
    Game looks like a typical beat-em-up Asian kiddie gankfest. All SFX, no substance, no soul, with overblown anime characters & even more overblown tits lol! Jealous much? <EG>

They say that right before you die, your life flashes before your eyes. That's true, even for a blind man. ^DareDevil^

• dstar.dstar. Member Posts: 474

I really hope this game delivers.  I hope it plays as well as it looks, I'm really pulling for a more action based combat system with a fighting game feel and if it's done well I'll be swooned.  I'll put it on my very short list of MMOs that I'm keeping my eye on.  If it plays anything like Aion you can count me out.

• CursedseiCursedsei Member Posts: 1,012
    Originally posted by Sovrath

Creeeeeeeepy

Though to be honest, having a character that is an adorable and endearing mouse girl who can summon demons from beyond is just so funny to me it is the first time I ever even considered playing such a character.

It's like the daughter I'll never have!

Oddly enough... I agree 150% on that sov... I too wouldn't mind playing as that, it would be my dream child...!

"For starters all the fighting looked like ring events. Half the animations I saw I look exactly like what you can see on the xbox 360. As for the other half clothed femail toons running around ha that kind of thing does nothing for me at my age. Then to add its made by ncsoft, that is enough for me to go no thank you. "

Really...? Well then, every other MMO must be just like Soul Calibur because all of those are like ring events (especially WoW and the ToC!), because all we ever seem to do in those is just move around in circles. As for the 360 comment, I really can only ask the same thing again, really? MMOs are notorious for recasting and recycling animations and the like, yet you seem to just selectively choose to bring it up now. I mean god, sorry if there is only so many ways to animate someone punching something. The whole "half-clothed" thing is dismissed as well, as there were plenty of characters shown fully dressed in that trailer, and in others, people just love latching onto the sexuality behind the females used prominently in the still pictures shown. Funny how none of you ever bitch about the amount of ripped guys in the game.

And finally, if you are going to be biased from the start, don't even bother posting for the sake of posting, makes you look like a bit of a Dbag, and not of the "cleansing jet of water" variety.

• tro44_1tro44_1 Member Posts: 1,819

Iam just not hyped up for another Ncsoft Game.

Its always some lame ars  *Click2Move// Auto Follow* style Combat system. Which I find as Lame, and lack of PvP skilling. The game basically plays itself.

• XerithXerith Member Posts: 970

It does look good Ill give it that, hopefully NCsoft can add a little bit of depth to it beyond what they did to Aion, but the fact that it will most likely be based for Korea, kinda rules that out.

Hopefully we will see a port of it in the next few years. With NCwest tied up with Aion, id be surprised if they ship Blade and Soul to them anytime near when its released.

• MyskMysk Member Posts: 982
    Originally posted by MikeB

That'd be the "stylized over exaggeration" I mentioned in the news piece. Pretty much Hyung-tae Kim's trademark.

In fact, here are some of Kim's renditions of Street Fighter characters, including Chun-li! :)

The Cammy image actually demonstrates his "over exaggeration" style more so than his Chun-li rendition.

Well I'll be.  That's a pleasant surprise.

• SaneokSaneok Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by kzaske

I think my favorite part was the destroyer taking care of the guy with the fire arms. The quasi-furry is cute, perhaps too cute. Overall, there was little in the trailer to get my attention. Yeah it looks great, so did AoC. It tells me nothing about game play, just a lot of 5 cent eye candy.

Yeah I agree that even though it looks amazing it tells nothing about the actual gameplay...  if the game will be a grind-fest  like other MMO's then it doesn't matter how good the fight scenes look since you will get sick of these moves eventually anyway. What they need is gameplay that doesn't feel repetitive and quests that are actually interesting. If they give us that then that will be a revolution, that will be the game we all wait for.

• SaneokSaneok Member Posts: 3
    Originally posted by tro44_1

Iam just not hyped up for another Ncsoft Game.
    Its always some lame ars  *Click2Move// Auto Follow* style Combat system. Which I find as Lame, and lack of PvP skilling. The game basically plays itself.

"The game plays itself" haha well said!

• MeridionMeridion Member UncommonPosts: 1,495

Wow, more asia for my PC... NOT... 

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

I think blade & soul will have finishing moves to kill people else they can recover or release without penalties (Note. this is my impression no one said it will be like that)

if this is true pvp will be a pain lol.

• TeatimeTeatime Member Posts: 11

Judging by the trailer the packaging is good and the game certainly looks polished beyond what I've yet seen in an mmo. 

But where is the group gameplay?

And when you strip away the shiny wrapper, is there a good GAME underneath?

From this trailer I'm left with a mixed impression, it was a good trailer, but I've never been able to judge games based on trailers like this. I always like the  5 - 10 minute straight gameplay videos :D.

• MrbloodworthMrbloodworth Member Posts: 5,615
    Originally posted by MikeB

You know that man has admitted never having touched a woman. Just saying.

They may need to change this game to "Big asses online". Thoes are some big asses.

Toss in a dash of

And this is what we get.

However, the game-play looks great, and i enjoy the idea of more action/arcade oriented game play

----------
    "Anyone posting on this forum is not an average user, and there for any opinions about the game are going to be overly critical compared to an average users opinions." - Me

"No, your wrong.." - Random user #123

"Hello person posting on a site specifically for MMO's in a thread on a sub forum specifically for a particular game talking about meta features and making comparisons to other titles in the genre, and their meta features.

How are you?" -Me