Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jedi and TOR

So, we all know the sad story about everything that went wrong with SWG and the whole Jedi issue. How should Bioware go about the Jedi issue? It doesn't seem like they are too worried about EVERYONE becoming a Jedi or Sith, maybe that attitude is exactly how they should be handling the issue. So voice YOUR concerns or ideas as to how  the Jedi and Sith issue should be handled if an inordinate number of players want to become either class.  What about the Force itself? How many different powers do you want to see either side have? Discuss!

Comments

• TeimanTeiman Member Posts: 1,319

I have no problem is a mayority of people choose class X,  but I hope all clases are made interesting, so If i choose class X, we have a good game.

For start... I feel no need to play jedi.  Is something like a paladin, and I don't play much that class in other mmos.  Also, the idea to play a efficient bastard or a greedy thief, seems more interesting Role Play wise, than a Jedi. 

• GoronianGoronian Member Posts: 724

Not everyone, but a huge majority will. People are much more interested in Jedi, than any other aspect of SW universe. And considering, how ovepowered they are, and how the plot centers around them... It's easy to see why.

I hate WoW because it made my plush hamster kill himself, created twin clones of Hitler, punched Superboy Prime in reality, stared my dog down, spoiled my grandmother, assimilated me into the Borg, then made me into a real boy, just to make me a woman again.

• IlvaldyrIlvaldyr Member CommonPosts: 2,142

I think it would be naive to expect people playing a Star Wars game not to roll a Jedi (or two). They're such an ingrained part of the lore that pretty much everyone will roll one purely on the basis of "Dude. Jedi. Saber. Awesome!".

Whether the population imbalance persists will depend on a few things:

Class Balance.

It's an undisputed truth that FOTM rerollers will play any class providing it's overpowered. These are people who don't care about Lore, and aren't even that bothered about the mechanics of the class. They just wanna be awesome and pwn noobs. If Jedi is the uberclass, then there will be tons of Jedi.

Game Mechanics.

If you're a guy whose preference is for ranged DPS glass cannons such as a traditional mage, then you're not gonna be wanting to play a dual-wielding Jedi just because he has sabers and sabers are cool. You'll look for a class that better suits your preferred playstyle.

Soloing.

People like to solo; people like to play a class that has a high capability when adventuring alone. If Jedi are awesome raid tanks, (that's even assuming TOR will have the trinity .. it may not) but are crappy soloers compared to, for example, Troopers .. then there will be people who go for efficiency.

Forward Thinking + Rebellion.

People are weird. I have no doubt that there will be people who choose not to play Jedi on the assumption that it will be the prevailing class and other classes, due to their minority in numbers, will be more sought after for groups and such. Some will probably pick non-Jedi classes purely because it's Star Wars and they want to be "edgy" and "cool" by choosing not to go glowbat.

I personally think that Bioware should just go with the flow. If Jedi are overpopulated then people will get sick of playing an overpopulated class and will reroll. It'll either balance out eventually, or Jedi will become the Deathknight of TOR and always get picked last for groups. At the end of the day, it's down to the individual player Jedi to decide if he's willing to be "common".

Not sure about Force powers; I'd prefer not to see them massively overdone .. I'm sure that the melee Jedi/Sith will have short-range powers that support the melee DPS (or possibly tank) roles, whereas the Consular and Inquisitor will get stuff like Lightning and long-range abilities.

Playing: EVE, Final Fantasy 13, Uncharted 2, Need for Speed: Shift
  • altairzqaltairzq Member Posts: 3,811

I don't have any concern. I expect another dull MMO full of stupid carebear features for the solo console gamers. If I'm wrong I will be very gladly surprised, but I'm 99.999999% sure I'm right. Hope that was right for one chance in a million.

• CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742

In the end, PLayers will follow the power. If the Jedi/sith classes are way overpowered, players will swam there as expected. However if some other class is overpowered (bounty hunter, etc) they will move there.

Heck, if player a C3PO bot is the way to win in PVE/PvP...I wager that is what will be overpopulated..no matter how gay it may seem

• heartlessheartless Member UncommonPosts: 4,993

The big difference between SWG and TOR is that SWG is set in a time when most of the jedi were exterminated by Darth Vader and obviously having a lot of them running around doesn't make sense. TOR is set during a time when jedi and sith are much more common and play important roles in politics and military.

In other words, in TOR, it actually makes sense to have a lot of jedi and sith.

As far as everyone playing as force users, firstly, I would like to give credit to Bioware and hope that they will figure out a way to make other classes just as fun and engaging. Also, out of all the classes, I am leaning more towards the Imperial Agent. I mean, we're talking about a class with an orbital bombardment skill, how can you go wrong?

• MasoniclightMasoniclight Member Posts: 87

Well that is why, perhaps, Bioware's attitude is probably right on then. I ABSOLUTELY trust Bioware to do what is correct so my concern is, even for the storyline, the inordinate number of Jedi and Sith there will be; although I agree with those who have said that even if it is the case that a huge number create a Jedi or Sith, eventually those numbers will lesson just because people want to do something else, something new. It is great thing however that Bioware will obviously NOT do what SWG tried to do about the Jedi issue...

So I guess its on to the Force then. Any of you who have played any of the Star Wars roleplaying games or read the books realize there are a lot more Force powers than what we see in the movies.. are there particular Force powers you all would REALLY like to see? (Other than force push, energy absorption, force jump, force lightning or anything else we have already seen in the movies)

• GoronianGoronian Member Posts: 724
    Originally posted by Masoniclight

Well that is why, perhaps, Bioware's attitude is probably right on then. I ABSOLUTELY trust Bioware to do what is correct so my concern is, even for the storyline, the inordinate number of Jedi and Sith there will be; although I agree with those who have said that even if it is the case that a huge number create a Jedi or Sith, eventually those numbers will lesson just because people want to do something else, something new. It is great thing however that Bioware will obviously NOT do what SWG tried to do about the Jedi issue...
    So I guess its on to the Force then. Any of you who have played any of the Star Wars roleplaying games or read the books realize there are a lot more Force powers than what we see in the movies.. are there particular Force powers you all would REALLY like to see? (Other than force push, energy absorption, force jump, force lightning or anything else we have already seen in the movies)

Remember, how all non-Jedi characters in KOTOR were pretty much useless in combat? Yeah, and that was the only KOTOR game, made by Bioware. Wouldn't trust them with that, actually - these guys know how to make good games, but not how to balance them. We'll wait and see...

I hate WoW because it made my plush hamster kill himself, created twin clones of Hitler, punched Superboy Prime in reality, stared my dog down, spoiled my grandmother, assimilated me into the Borg, then made me into a real boy, just to make me a woman again.

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

I expect all of the classes will be balanced. The only reason the force users will outnumber the other characters is because people want to play Jedi/Sith more than the others. I don't see this as a problem since it makse sense for there to be so many force users in this time period.

I really don't think that the Jedi/Sith will outnumber other classes THAT much. I'm sure they will in the beginning, but people will re-roll and find other classes/specs they enjoy more. As long as they are all balanced and ENJOYABLE, I don't think this will be a bad thing at all.

• greed0104greed0104 Member Posts: 2,134
    Originally posted by Anubisan

I expect all of the classes will be balanced. The only reason the force users will outnumber the other characters is because people want to play Jedi/Sith more than the others. I don't see this as a problem since it makse sense for there to be so many force users in this time period.
    I really don't think that the Jedi/Sith will outnumber other classes THAT much. I'm sure they will in the beginning, but people will re-roll and find other classes/specs they enjoy more. As long as they are all balanced and ENJOYABLE, I don't think this will be a bad thing at all.

I agree.

More Force Users means more loot for my Bounty Hunter.