Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

hitching and laging

eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

I enjoy playing the game because of the lore the quests, the fact that you level quickly, the graphics, the sound is great,the combat could be better hopefully in the next expansion.  Howeverr i do experience some lag and hitching at times especially when i first start combat or turn rapidly,  naturalyy i have read the tech forums and have fiddled with engine speed , fps slider , and such. I have a e8500 3.0,  with 4700 512mb graphics card 4 gb of ram, 7200HD and windows xp.  The only other game that gives me hitching headaces is Vanguard , In the vanguard tech forums they said the solution was to buya SSD HD becausee Vanguard was powered by the Hard drive I wonder if this would help me in Lord of the rings.  I have ddr 2 ram would it help me to get ddr 3 ram?

If I wanted to improve my graphics card what would you recomend and would it bottle up my cpu to much and is ther a actual need to upgrade my card with the games out todat.  Thanks for helping me.

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010
    Originally posted by eddieg50

I enjoy playing the game because of the lore the quests, the fact that you level quickly, the graphics, the sound is great,the combat could be better hopefully in the next expansion.  Howeverr i do experience some lag and hitching at times especially when i first start combat or turn rapidly,  naturalyy i have read the tech forums and have fiddled with engine speed , fps slider , and such. I have a e8500 3.0,  with 4700 512mb graphics card 4 gb of ram, 7200HD and windows xp.  The only other game that gives me hitching headaces is Vanguard , In the vanguard tech forums they said the solution was to buya SSD HD becausee Vanguard was powered by the Hard drive I wonder if this would help me in Lord of the rings.  I have ddr 2 ram would it help me to get ddr 3 ram?
             If I wanted to improve my graphics card what would you recomend and would it bottle up my cpu to much and is ther a actual need to upgrade my card with the games out todat.  Thanks for helping me.

I don't get any hitching or lagging. My graphics card is  A NVIDIA GeForce 7950 gt and only 2 gigs of ram. I wonder if it's another problem like your internet connection?

I'm not really sure that "lag" is a card problem. I believe lag usually refers to the internet connection.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809

It could be an internet connection but then why dont i get hitching in AOC, eq2, aion, wow, Coh and  cov, champions online, D&D,  I wouold imagine if it was internet I would have prob with those games also

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,010

It could be an internet connection but then why dont i get hitching in AOC, eq2, aion, wow, Coh and  con, champions online, D&D,  I wouold imagine if it was internet I would have prob with those games also

hmmm maybe.

Let's put it this way, I can connect to every one of those games you listed but have to go to an alternate login for LOTRO because though I can bring up the launcher, it doesn't see the servers. This happened a while ago where they did some sort of update and suddenly I couldn't see the servers.

The only fix I could find was that someone suggested making an alternate login account on my pc which of course whould not have access to all the same settings as my initial account.

So perhaps there is something in the connection to the lotro servers that is different from those other games? Don't know.

But if your card is better than mine (and I think it is) then it is possible that it is something else. Of course there could be issues with the card itself. What did technical support tell you?

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • ericbelserericbelser Member Posts: 783

First off: I'd try fiddling with your in-game settings. Turn things down all the way and see if it still happens. If you are getting it on the lowest settings with that computer rig then it is probably an internet issue. (and yes, you could have it with *just* LotRO and not others - the exact route the packets take is different between different games, it is possible but unlikely that you have one or two bad links in your route to the LotRO servers)

If the problem goes away at lowest settings, it's some kind of graphics issue...could even be a conflict with that particular gfx card....which leaves you trying different drivers or maybe a card swap.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

The final solution to my hitching was 6 gig of DDR2. I run with everything maxxed now except AA which I set at 2X or 4X. System specs are e8400 @3.0 on a el cheapo Gigabyte board, EVGA 260GTX, WD Raptor for my game drive and WIn 7 64 bit. Same system with 2 gig of ram and I had some very minor hitching but as soon as I added the extra 4 in there no hitch whatsoever.If you have a 64bit system drop as much ram as you can in, ram is cheap these days.

I miss DAoC

Originally posted by Jackdog

The final solution to my hitching was 6 gig of DDR2. I run with everything maxxed now except AA which I set at 2X or 4X. System specs are e8400 @3.0 on a el cheapo Gigabyte board, EVGA 260GTX, WD Raptor for my game drive and WIn 7 64 bit. Same system with 2 gig of ram and I had some very minor hitching but as soon as I added the extra 4 in there no hitch whatsoever.If you have a 64bit system drop as much ram as you can in, ram is cheap these days.

I have 32 bit windows xp so 6 is out of qustion but what if  i went with ddr3?

I really could not say if it would be worth it or not as far as performance gained compared to money spent. I know switching to a Raptor drive for a my game files helped a bit but did not totally eliminate it, so I doubt that  DDR3 will make that much of a difference. In my overclocking experiments, memory tweaking never really gained me very  much compared CPU, front bus, and vid card clocking.

My hitching was so minor before Win 7 and 6 gig that  it was no big deal. Being a die hard geek and overclocker I was determined to fix it anyway.

My theory it was caused by all of the different  texture files  from PC's clothing and buildings in Bree loading and unloading from memory. It was only noticeable in one or two areas such as Bree and 21st hall. Of course I am only guessing about the textures being the issue here, but it makes sense.

Way I look at it is it could be worse than a hiccup or two running through Bree. Zone loading from games like AoC and EQII does  are much more annoying in my opinion.

As far as a complete cure goes if you can I would just save my money until I could switch to Win7 64 bit. That way you get the DX10 goodness and better performance in all your games. I was a XP fan and never even tried Vista, but Win 7 is the best op system I ever used (fanbois alert LOL) and I am a old timer from the 8 bit days so I cut my teeth on CPM and DOS systems so I can say I have tried darn near all of them. Until then just tweak your options  to get something you can live with, I don't think it can be completely eliminated by that but it can be minimized.

Just my 2 cents worth.

I miss DAoC

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

"Freedom is just another name for nothing left to lose" - Janis Joplin

I really could not say if it would be worth it or not as far as performance gained compared to money spent. I know switching to a Raptor drive for a my game files helped a bit but did not totally eliminate it, so I doubt that  DDR3 will make that much of a difference. In my overclocking experiments, memory tweaking never really gained me very  much compared CPU, front bus, and vid card clocking.

My hitching was so minor before Win 7 and 6 gig that  it was no big deal. Being a die hard geek and overclocker I was determined to fix it anyway.

My theory it was caused by all of the different  texture files  from PC's clothing and buildings in Bree loading and unloading from memory. It was only noticeable in one or two areas such as Bree and 21st hall. Of course I am only guessing about the textures being the issue here, but it makes sense.

Way I look at it is it could be worse than a hiccup or two running through Bree. Zone loading from games like AoC and EQII does  are much more annoying in my opinion.

As far as a complete cure goes if you can I would just save my money until I could switch to Win7 64 bit. That way you get the DX10 goodness and better performance in all your games. I was a XP fan and never even tried Vista, but Win 7 is the best op system I ever used (fanbois alert LOL) and I am a old timer from the 8 bit days so I cut my teeth on CPM and DOS systems so I can say I have tried darn near all of them. Until then just tweak your options  to get something you can live with, I don't think it can be completely eliminated by that but it can be minimized.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Its funny about  different computers, with AOC and EQ2 my comp runs like smooth like butter but some other games no, just weird

Originally posted by solareus

fix hitching, get 800mhz ram sticks. 533 or bellow will cause hitching. Doesn't matter if you have 4 gigs of 533mhz, you will hitch.

I have 4 gigs of ddr2-800 ram 

Its funny about  different computers, with AOC and EQ2 my comp runs like smooth like butter but some other games no, just weird

AOC and EQII both ran fine for me also, in fact even when I was running XP and 2 gig they ran fine. What I was referring to is the loading screens ever time you go through a door or travel to a different area

I miss DAoC

• The user and all related content has been deleted.

"Freedom is just another name for nothing left to lose" - Janis Joplin