Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Blatant Trolling

It is rather obvious when someone is trolling on this site.

If you go to about any negative post on the site and look at the author 9 times out of 10 the person has very very few posts and more often then not just created the account in the last few days. 

A lot of times you see them posting positive about one game and negative about one or more others.

I don't get it.  Do these people think we are all idiots and we are going to believe they didn't just create an account to troll a game(s) they don't like.

I think the majority of them haven't even played the game they are trolling and if they did for any length of time.

Are these trolls made by competing companies to drive down the competition?  Or just idiots trying to keep their game's population higher?

OR WHAT?

You tell me...

Comments

• CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742

Its easy to get the sense that some company is behind trolling, when you delve into some newly created account and see that they have done nothing else but posted 30 times in the last 2 days on how bad <X> game is. I mean, I may hate a few games, but never to an extent that I feel the need to post more than once or twice.

However, this 'espionage' theory has never been proven. It's like a 'second gunman' on the grassy knoll ...it sounds plausible but no hard evidence is ever available.

I do not believe that many troll posters care that they are believed or not...its obvious they are against <X> game ..they dont care if they are perceived biased. I believe what they try to accomplish is achieve a 'Mass' or 'threshold' effect with other trolls. If the volume of obvious rants exceeds a critical number on a board...most players stay away from the board and the game.

• elderotterelderotter Member Posts: 651
    Originally posted by Czzarre

Its easy to get the sense that some company is behind trolling, when you delve into some newly created account and see that they have done nothing else but posted 30 times in the last 2 days on how bad <X> game is. I mean, I may hate a few games, but never to an extent that I feel the need to post more than once or twice.
    However, this 'espionage' theory has never been proven. It's like a 'second gunman' on the grassy knoll ...it sounds plausible but no hard evidence is ever available.
    I do not believe that many troll posters care that they are believed or not...its obvious they are against <X> game ..they dont care if they are perceived biased. I believe what they try to accomplish is achieve a 'Mass' or 'threshold' effect with other trolls. If the volume of obvious rants exceeds a critical number on a board...most players stay away from the board and the game.

I believe the reverse is true also - I have noted that the number of posts for obvious fanboys of a game are usually low also.  That's especially true prior to the games release and during beta testing.  People who have never posted here before suddenly show up and tell us all, in multiple threads, exactly how great a game is and how it will kill WoW. They also flame anyone who disagrees. I tend to view them as obnoxious as the anti-game trolls.

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Some people are just frustrated. It happens a lot lately with so many new MMOs being excessively over-hyped, and then failing to even deliver half of what they promised for release.

• ryguy81538ryguy81538 Member Posts: 9

I'm kind of split on this topic.  Yes, one would think if someone is posting tons of anti-game threads about a certain game you would tend to be suspicious of their motives.  However, when a game has a very high initial learning-curve meaning you can't just jump in and start having fun this is obviously frustrating.  On the other hand if a game has a jump in and get your feet wet then move on to the harder aspects approach it doesn't matter how high the learning curve is after you're interested that just adds dimension to the game.  When you're frustrated from the very beginning because the developers lacked the fore-sight to keep an easy to grasp initial concept before plunging you into the more vast aspects of the game's conception that's just plain-ol' bad production.  But, that's just one person's opinion :).  Ryan

• tro44_1tro44_1 Member Posts: 1,819
    Originally posted by stux

If you go to about any negative post on the site and look at the author 9 times out of 10 the person has very very few posts and more often then not just created the account in the last few days. 
    A lot of times you see them posting positive about one game and negative about one or more others.
    I don't get it.  Do these people think we are all idiots and we are going to believe they didn't just create an account to troll a game(s) they don't like.
    I think the majority of them haven't even played the game they are trolling and if they did for any length of time.
    Are these trolls made by competing companies to drive down the competition?  Or just idiots trying to keep their game's population higher?
    OR WHAT?
    You tell me...

TBH here, this is what makes sites like this any fun. Without trolling, this site would be lame. Not going to lie, I enjoy argueing with WoW haters that make up lame excuses for blaming Falied MMOs on WoW. Thats just an example.

WoW haters and lovers have been around, and will be around, for a LONG time to come.  Props to the developers of this game (though i've never actually played it) for their accomplishments.  Look at Bill Gates, you may not like the guy, you may hate Megasoft but you have to at least acknowledge what both of these mega-stars have accomplished.  They're both UBER successful and people don't achieve that without a lot of hard-work and intuition.  I personally don't like Bill Gates but I do admire the fact that he can honestly say no one will ever again shape the face of the industry more drastically than he has.

• metalhead980metalhead980 Member Posts: 2,658

LOL I don't need to create a alt account to troll or flame you guys.

I don't do it to increase my subs since I already think Eve Online is crowded with enough clueless carebears asking over and over in rookie chat if Eve has Raids and Phat lewt lol.

What I am is honest. I feel the games you play have made the genre garbage and while I still have a handful of great games to play since this is a discussion forum for MMOs I can give my two cents.

It's not my fault you guys can't take it.

You want to play simple, pathetic games that don't even resemble what MMOs were originally? fine but don't get upset when I tell you how I feel.

PLaying: EvE, Ryzom

Waiting For: Earthrise, Perpetuum

• GetViolatedGetViolated Member Posts: 335

so is this your troll account op? 

Originally posted by GetViolated

so is this your troll account op? 

LOL, this one made me laugh.  Funny stuff Vio.  As for the EVE post I agree.  I played it for a couple of months and quickly realized the very boring and limited aspects of the game.  I loved the dynamic market aspect of the game, my affection ended there however.  I'm an old-school gamer who grew up with games like Megatraveler, Metroid and Kings Quest (some of the best games ever made in my opinion.)  It seems what we suffer from most now-a-days is a struggle for the "top spot" with eye-popping graphics and a hollow shell of a game underneath.  Sad that no one has the vision or creativity to come up with something really innovative anymore.

• Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214

Who knows. But don't argue with the idiots, then people watching may not be able to tell the difference. ;)

Originally posted by GetViolated

LOL, this one made me laugh. Funny stuff Vio. As for the EVE post I agree. I played it for a couple of months and quickly realized the very boring and limited aspects of the game. I loved the dynamic market aspect of the game, my affection ended there however. I'm an old-school gamer who grew up with games like Megatraveler, Metroid and Kings Quest (some of the best games ever made in my opinion.) It seems what we suffer from most now-a-days is a struggle for the "top spot" with eye-popping graphics and a hollow shell of a game underneath. Sad that no one has the vision or creativity to come up with something really innovative anymore.

Patience...I still have about 2 years of school left. =)

• TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547
    Originally posted by tro44_1

TBH here, this is what makes sites like this any fun.

No, it's really not.

Nice to hear.  I'm 32 years old though so don't make me wait 'til I've got a foot in the grave before you are able to create your ground-breaker :).  Gratz on college though, an opportunity I was denied.  Don't take for granted what someone else would have killed for.

• Goatgod76Goatgod76 Member Posts: 1,214
    Originally posted by ryguy81538

Nice to hear.  I'm 32 years old though so don't make me wait 'til I've got a foot in the grave before you are able to create your ground-breaker :).  Gratz on college though, an opportunity I was denied.  Don't take for granted what someone else would have killed for.

No worries here. Already have my Associates in Graphic Design, and getting my BA in Game Art & Design courtesy of the U.S. Military (VA).  Believe me, I don't plan on squandering what I have worked so hard for to this point, and for what I would LOVE to to have the opportunity to get up every morning to do for a living. =)

• TheHatterTheHatter Member Posts: 2,547
    Originally posted by Goatgod76

No worries here. Already have my Associates in Graphic Design, and getting my BA in Game Art & Design courtesy of the U.S. Military (VA).  Believe me, I don't plan on squandering what I have worked so hard for to this point, and for what I would LOVE to to have the opportunity to get up every morning to do for a living. =)

REAP + GTIP + FTA = : - )

• cl0vercl0ver Member Posts: 122

I find anytime someone disagrees with someone's attitude or opinion its considered trolling.   I have not witnessed many trolls.   Then again Im new.   Every time I have seen the wird troll thrown out, its been inaccurate.

• CeridithCeridith Member UncommonPosts: 2,980

Originally posted by cl0ver
    I find anytime someone disagrees with someone's attitude or opinion its considered trolling.   I have not witnessed many trolls.   Then again Im new.   Every time I have seen the wird troll thrown out, its been inaccurate.

It's in how you disagree. When you disrespectfully disagree and insult, or otherwise completely devalue someone else's valid opinion, you're trolling.

If someone prefers mechanic "B" over mechanic "A", and you call them an idiot for not liking "A" more, you're trolling.

If you say "I disagree, I like A more because X, Y, Z,", you're having a discussion.

If you blatantly make fun of someone for being upset about something that bothers them or they dislike, you're trolling.

If you state that you don't understand why they're upset, but respect that it bothers them, you're taking part in a discussion.

• CzzarreCzzarre Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,742
    Originally posted by cl0ver

I dont believe disagreement is always considered trolling. I disagree often, but do it respectfully and not dripping with sarcasm or hatred. Also backing up your side with your reasoning helps. Of course, that kind of post makes for dull reading. This is why TMZ has it's own show

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    Originally posted by TheHatter

Originally posted by tro44_1

TBH here, this is what makes sites like this any fun.

No, it's really not.

Er, Yes, it really is.

OK, maybe not for "you" but for "me" I enjoy a good scrap, could care less if anyone "trolls" and when someone's post really annoys me, I just ignore it or them.

Trolls have one purpose IMO, to elicit an enraged response, and for the most part, people fall for it hook line and sinker.  If people who really detest trolling would not respond and leave it to those like myself who enjoy doing so, we'd all be a lot happier.

But for some reason people see the need to crusade against trolling (like the OP) which I completely fail to comprehend.

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• DarkholmeDarkholme Member UncommonPosts: 1,212

Well it's not that much of a stretch. We know for a fact that many MMOG developers come to these forums and others to keep an eye on the community and read things people are saying about their games.

As for trolling in general, it's pointless and just leads to flame-fests. It's pointless because no ones opinion about anything is more valid than someone else's. It's all about personal preference. I never understood why people feel the need to put so much energy and time into something they don't like. If you don't like something, just move on to something that you do like. If you're trolling just to cause trouble and get your jollies then you should probably get banned and go find yourself a life...

I'm not saying that I think that forums should be filled with love, rainbows and puppies, but allowing rampant and pointless trolling just makes the community into a cesspool that noone wants to participate in. I know that it's why I have taken long breaks from participating in this community at times since I registered.

-------------------------
    "Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places..." ~ H.P.Lovecraft, "From Beyond"

Member Since March 2004

• stuxstux Member Posts: 462

I don't mind legitimate complaints about a game.

I don't mind people debating why this game sucks or this one is great.

I don't like someone creating an account and bashing a game they haven't even played or hardly at all.  It is clear that people on this site are doing this all the time.  Some people appear to be creating new accounts over and over and over to make the same damn complaints.

I mean common do you really believe that the number of people that are creating accounts just to complain about one game is just random?  Make about 10-20 post and then never say a damn thing ever again after that.  I feel it is a small percentage of people creating account after account to try and make it look like there are hundreds of people when it is the same few people over and over.

I don't mind people saying I have played this game for some time now and it blows and this is why.

But do you need to keep posting why beyond that?  We get it the first time.

The number of first post negative or positives are way to many to be just random people making an account and complaining and/or hyping another game.  A LOT of the posts on this site are first timers and almost ALL of those first posts are complaints or hypes.  Then a long comes some other NEW to the site person with the same complaints or hypes.  Rinse and Repeat and you have the majority of post on this site.

Sure there are legitimate player that debate the OP complaint or hype but nine times out of ten it is the same damn conversation just worded differently.

I guess I just want some real conversations not the same small group of people argue about the same shit over and over again about how this game blows or this game is awesome.  Plus, it makes it hard to know if the hype or complaints are real or the same few idiots just creating a new name on the forum.

• RavZterzRavZterz Member UncommonPosts: 618

Sometime trolling is blatant. 

There really isn't a reason to start three topics about the same game within on day or anything to that effect but just because someone is new and starts an opinionated topic doesn't automaticlly make them a troll or even an alt account. 

And I really don't know why trolls post new topics.  Even when I don't care for the game they are taking about it makes it hard to agree with them.  I really can't see any reason to start more then a topic a day about a single game, if you have a lot to say then put it all in one topic.  Then again people don't like necroing threads and half the time people only read the title and not evening the post.  And everyone has posted some stupid shit on these forums at one point or another... I just feel bad for the people who actually chose to buy a game based on some of the random posts here.

Make games you want to play.

http://www.youtube.com/user/RavikAztar

• tro44_1tro44_1 Member Posts: 1,819
    Originally posted by metalhead980

LOL I don't need to create a alt account to troll or flame you guys.
    I don't do it to increase my subs since I already think Eve Online is crowded with enough clueless carebears asking over and over in rookie chat if Eve has Raids and Phat lewt lol.
    What I am is honest. I feel the games you play have made the genre garbage and while I still have a handful of great games to play since this is a discussion forum for MMOs I can give my two cents.
    It's not my fault you guys can't take it.
    You want to play simple, pathetic games that don't even resemble what MMOs were originally? fine but don't get upset when I tell you how I feel.

Dont fake!! EvE is the reason the MMO Genre is so damned messed Up!!!! DAM YOU EVE

• NoobfishNoobfish Member Posts: 26

What is the debatable value of this thread?

Yes, people slams games that they don't like.

What else is new under the sun?

Was I trolling now?

• InterestingInteresting Member UncommonPosts: 972
    Originally posted by stux

OR WHAT?
    You tell me...

What matters is that they cause effect whether you like it or not.

• TardcoreTardcore Member Posts: 2,325

I like cheese.

"Gypsies, tramps, and thieves, we were called by the Admin of the site . . . "