Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Having an "adventure" again?

Comments

• GoronianGoronian Member Posts: 724
    Originally posted by enzyme

i'd definately be interested in doing this.
    I'd be interested in playing either:
    Vanguard, EQ2, or DAoC.
    Just so I have the facts straight, essentially we are all starting up an mmorpg.com guild, and starting from level 1?

Exactly. To take everything the game can give, without those pesky problems of most newbies of "not having anyone to play with".

I hate WoW because it made my plush hamster kill himself, created twin clones of Hitler, punched Superboy Prime in reality, stared my dog down, spoiled my grandmother, assimilated me into the Borg, then made me into a real boy, just to make me a woman again.

• LynxJSALynxJSA Member RarePosts: 3,332
    Originally posted by Goronian

Vanguard, EQ2, or DAoC.
    Just so I have the facts straight, essentially we are all starting up an mmorpg.com guild, and starting from level 1?

Exactly. To take everything the game can give, without those pesky problems of most newbies of "not having anyone to play with".

What would be extra cool is if one or two people blogged about it here as well.

-- Whammy - a 64x64 miniRPG 
    RPG Quiz - can you get all 25 right? 
    FPS Quiz - how well do you know your shooters?  
  • R4WkU5R4WkU5 Member UncommonPosts: 66

In something like EvE, hows it going to work for people who don't play but already have a char on there. F.Ex Having a 7m SP char that I wouldn't want to leave if everyone else restarted. I'm not fond of just paying another 6 months or w/e just to get back where I am. I can see the problem with a traditional MMO and people being different levels but is there an objection to people bringing back other Chars in EvE?

Hoping EQ2 doesn't get the spot, I like the idea of a different game that is otherwise inaccessible as a new player, or at least making it hard to get into. I think the point was already made that games like EvE, FFXI and EQ seem to be just the right type of game for a group to take on, not sure about Ryzom, don't know a lot about it. There would be the problem that the guild wouldn't get much out of being together in something like EQ2. It seem like EvE would be the most effective use of such a "project" even though it wouldn't be my first choice.

Originally posted by LynxJSA

Vanguard, EQ2, or DAoC.

Very much so.

Are we at the right stage where we should look at getting at least a free set of forums set up, something in the guildlaunch style?

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662

Didn't EQ II and wow released near same time?

As for making a negative on FF XI because it doesn't have much pvp well it's a pve game what do you expect?

Anyways good luck on you ppl finding a game to play.

Originally posted by R4WkU5

Originally posted by LynxJSA

Vanguard, EQ2, or DAoC.

Very much so.

Are we at the right stage where we should look at getting at least a free set of forums set up, something in the guildlaunch style?

Was thinking the same thing.

Originally posted by bloodaxes

Didn't EQ II and wow released near same time?
    As for making a negative on FF XI because it doesn't have much pvp well it's a pve game what do you expect?
    Anyways good luck on you ppl finding a game to play.

They were, actually EQII ws released a month or so earlier and changed heavily to resemble WoW more.

Well, it is a negative for some people. Just wanted to warn them in advance.

In something like EvE, hows it going to work for people who don't play but already have a char on there. F.Ex Having a 7m SP char that I wouldn't want to leave if everyone else restarted. I'm not fond of just paying another 6 months or w/e just to get back where I am. I can see the problem with a traditional MMO and people being different levels but is there an objection to people bringing back other Chars in EvE?

Hoping EQ2 doesn't get the spot, I like the idea of a different game that is otherwise inaccessible as a new player, or at least making it hard to get into. I think the point was already made that games like EvE, FFXI and EQ seem to be just the right type of game for a group to take on, not sure about Ryzom, don't know a lot about it. There would be the problem that the guild wouldn't get much out of being together in something like EQ2. It seem like EvE would be the most effective use of such a "project" even though it wouldn't be my first choice.

EQII is in the top runners, but I doubt it will be the first one we try. Although, to be frank, it's not a bad grame Grouping greatly enhances it, since solo in it is kinda same-ish. There are lot of low-level dungeons, that are impossible without a group, but simple are not run anymore, since people outgrew them levels ago. Things like that keep in Antonica, overrun by the undead.

I think our first one will be either FFXI, EvE or Ryzom, maybe VG, since they're the most unconventional. As to your EvE situation... Yeah, I get that rerolling a new character, after spending so much time on the old one is harsh, but our point is to experience the game "fresh". However, since EvE is so unconventional it may turn out not that bad. What do you say, we make a thread+poll about it on our new guildsite, once it opens?

I hate WoW because it made my plush hamster kill himself, created twin clones of Hitler, punched Superboy Prime in reality, stared my dog down, spoiled my grandmother, assimilated me into the Borg, then made me into a real boy, just to make me a woman again.

EQII is in the top runners, but I doubt it will be the first one we try. Although, to be frank, it's not a bad grame Grouping greatly enhances it, since solo in it is kinda same-ish. There are lot of low-level dungeons, that are impossible without a group, but simple are not run anymore, since people outgrew them levels ago. Things like that keep in Antonica, overrun by the undead.

I think our first one will be either FFXI, EvE or Ryzom, maybe VG, since they're the most unconventional. As to your EvE situation... Yeah, I get that rerolling a new character, after spending so much time on the old one is harsh, but our point is to experience the game "fresh". However, since EvE is so unconventional it may turn out not that bad. What do you say, we make a thread+poll about it on our new guildsite, once it opens?

Sounds like a plan on the voting.

Didn't know that much about EQ2, I only played the trial. Good to know there's a lot of stuff worth doing with a group at lower levels though. Fears allayed :)

Sounds like a plan on the voting.

Didn't know that much about EQ2, I only played the trial. Good to know there's a lot of stuff worth doing with a group at lower levels though. Fears allayed :)

I remember a lot of the more "hardcore" solo-players saying, taht there shhould be enough content to do with a group, but be able to solo it at later levels. That's EQII - there are tons of dungeons, starting at about level 14-15 (In Queynos, at least) that are awesome to do in group, but, well, there are no low-level people anymore.

In fact, there are Queynos sewers, as well. Creepy, long and void of players. We could check those out, if we decide to play it.

I'm making a forum on Guildportal, but I don't really know, how to call us... Any suggestions? I'd prefer something more neutral, suiting most playerstyles (and satisfying my roleplaying heart).

I remember a lot of the more "hardcore" solo-players saying, taht there shhould be enough content to do with a group, but be able to solo it at later levels. That's EQII - there are tons of dungeons, starting at about level 14-15 (In Queynos, at least) that are awesome to do in group, but, well, there are no low-

In fact, there are Queynos sewers, as well. Creepy, long and void of players. We could check those out, if we decide to play it.
    I'm making a forum on Guildportal, but I don't really know, how to call us... Any suggestions? I'd prefer something more neutral, suiting most playerstyles (and satisfying my roleplaying heart).

I suppose it's difficult to sum up the group of players in a RP fashion but to throw out a few ideas:

• The Idealists
    • The Hunters (game hunters)
    • The Wanderers/Seekers (in the same vein)
    • Puritanical

Missing the whole RP theme by a country mile I particularly like "Looking for Game" since it's where we're all at and what we're doing.

I didn't promise they'd be any good but start the ball rolling.

I remember a lot of the more "hardcore" solo-players saying, taht there shhould be enough content to do with a group, but be able to solo it at later levels. That's EQII - there are tons of dungeons, starting at about level 14-15 (In Queynos, at least) that are awesome to do in group, but, well, there are no low-

I suppose it's difficult to sum up the group of players in a RP fashion but to throw out a few ideas:

• The Idealists
    • Puritanical

Missing the whole RP theme by a country mile I particularly like "Looking for Game" since it's where we're all at and what we're doing.

Hey, I like the way you're thinking.

What about "Adventure Seekers"? That's what we are in a nutshell.

• tro44_1tro44_1 Member Posts: 1,819

Alganon and Guild Wars should be on here.

I like Guild Wars as a alt to MMORPGs. You can jump in and play PvP. the endgame is bad, but still ok and decent. PvP grinding gets boring, but since its F2P, I dont feel bad after quiting soon after I come back.

The game lacks Immersion. I never got connected with any of my toons. The game feels very Robotic when it comes to movement. ALso the Melee system turned me off, when the developers desided to use a Queued Melee System. Heros and henchmen killed the group play in GW.

Originally posted by tro44_1

Alganon and Guild Wars should be on here.
    I like Guild Wars as a alt to MMORPGs. You can jump in and play PvP. the endgame is bad, but still ok and decent. PvP grinding gets boring, but since its F2P, I dont feel bad after quiting soon after I come back.
    The game lacks Immersion. I never got connected with any of my toons. The game feels very Robotic when it comes to movement. ALso the Melee system turned me off, when the developers desided to use a Queued Melee System. Heros and henchmen killed the group play in GW.

GW is barely an MMO, there is nothing to explore and little incentive to group.

Alganon... Eh, I've never heard of it and people never requested it, really.

• Alganon released yesterday and is a small indie game that looks very much and feels very much like wow, even more than runes of magic. Great community though.

Eve would be my least favorite, I have played it a few months this year and it's like a second game I have on my second monitor that I click on once in a while. It starts out very slow, and running missions is very boring, it takes a while, and only requires you to click a few times, and watch your ship fire, and usually you are so powerful t hat you can just sit in one spot and click fire and your done. I never felt it was useful or very necessary to group in missions because they are so easy and mundane, maybe at lvl 4 missions it could be handy. It's not a bad game at all, but it takes a while to get going, and the first month is better spent only training learning skills, or you will lag behind a lot. The game feels very slow paced and I think it would take too long for us to get into, and a lot of people would fall off. And I don't think the game encourage grouping early on, well mining missions is handy to be grouping, and going to 0.0 space to pvp, but that takes months to prepare for.

My experience at least, I could very well be doing it wrong.

• korpsce24korpsce24 Member Posts: 61

• The Idealists
    • Puritanical

Hey, I like the way you're thinking.

What about "Adventure Seekers"? That's what we are in a nutshell.

I like Adventure Seekers, it pretty much sums up what we're trying to do.

• altairzqaltairzq Member Posts: 3,811
    Originally posted by Crispin

Alganon released yesterday and is a small indie game that looks very much and feels very much like wow, even more than runes of magic. Great community though.

Eve would be my least favorite, I have played it a few months this year and it's like a second game I have on my second monitor that I click on once in a while. It starts out very slow, and running missions is very boring, it takes a while, and only requires you to click a few times, and watch your ship fire, and usually you are so powerful t hat you can just sit in one spot and click fire and your done. I never felt it was useful or very necessary to group in missions because they are so easy and mundane, maybe at lvl 4 missions it could be handy. It's not a bad game at all, but it takes a while to get going, and the first month is better spent only training learning skills, or you will lag behind a lot. The game feels very slow paced and I think it would take too long for us to get into, and a lot of people would fall off. And I don't think the game encourage grouping early on, well mining missions is handy to be grouping, and going to 0.0 space to pvp, but that takes months to prepare for.

I have the same experience with EVE, but that's doing missions alone, it's the most boring thing, but starting as a group and learning to combat between us, for instance, and doing missions together could be a blast. And it's a game to play for years to come.

About the name.. these are anagrams form Adventure, some are funny, like Evader Nut, Evade Turn, Avert Dune, Raven Duet... :

Adventure

A Ventured

Ad Venture

Averted Nu

Evader Tun

Evader Nut

Evade Runt

Evade Turn

Unread Vet

Vaunted Re

Advent Rue

Raved Tune

Tundra Eve

Daunt Ever

Daunt Veer

Dart Venue

Drat Venue

Earn Duvet

Near Duvet

Tavern Due

Raven Duet

Nave Trued

Vane Trued

Avert Dune

Avert Nude

Aver Tuned

Rave Tuned

Vaunt Reed

Vaunt Deer

Tau Nerved

Tau Vender

Vat Enured

Vat Endure

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997

As to your EvE situation... Yeah, I get that rerolling a new character, after spending so much time on the old one is harsh, but our point is to experience the game "fresh". However, since EvE is so unconventional it may turn out not that bad. What do you say, we make a thread+poll about it on our new guildsite, once it opens?

while there aint lvls per say, the skill gain is the "lvls".  NPC´s and players doesnt have a lvl tag on them but for sure one with high skillpoints have access to better ships, and by that be like if you went to EQ2 and got power lvled by a lvl 80...tho the gain aint SP(lvls) but isk....which is what everyone is hunting in EvE...basicly its the greed that makes EvE fun....the whole wanting the next big thing (big thing being what your setted goal is, doesnt neccesarly have to mean combat ships)

either way know Id hate to start a new char on me main EvE account as well :P    and be left out of a cool project like this....GL with it ;

oh and playing EvE with a couple of RL friends, without them EvE would be dead boring to me....you need the company, as it is a damn slow gameplay, and when going for the later skills one lvl in it can easy take a month...a month you will be spending doing nothing but grind for ISK

• I was playing eve with rl friends,  and while you can group and do missions, it have no purpose, because it's not needed, that my main concern. Only  time it was "needed" was for big mining operations, which I kinda enjoyed, because I was just playing something else while I was clicking once in a while on eve on my second monitor. The game could and is a blast, but it takes many months to get there, that is a problem I think.

• OhatroOhatro Member Posts: 52
    Originally posted by Crispin

Alganon released yesterday and is a small indie game that looks very much and feels very much like wow, even more than runes of magic. Great community though.

My experience with Eve was the same as yours, except I found it difficult.  I likely trained improperly, as I found I was quickly over whelmed by other ships in missions and destroyed, after the first month or so.  I am not against playing Eve however, but I don't see it as an 'adventure'.  It is more serious, with more at stake, which is one of its' strengths.

But I think this does raise a significant, or potentially significant issue.  The focus of this group could become a wedge between players if our interests are very dissimilar.  I think Eve is group focused because you need this to survive, like Darkfall kind of.  This is a very different mindset from a group focused game like Vanguard, where grouping is necessary to experience the better content and level, but not necessary to survive or explore.  Essentially, the difference between hardcore pvp and pve in my view.

In my view, these two communities are different, and play differently.  I have been part of many guilds that catered to all, and all that happened is that  subgroups were created in those guilds.  So being in that guild was just another regional chat essentially, and it became pointless and boring to be a member.

From the inital post by the OP, I was under the impression that this was a group interested in an adventure as a group, which to me would suggest pve oriented, even if we play on a pvp server.  I could not care less if I am ganked, but if our goal becomes level up, and do dungeons for gear in order to survive, I don't think I am interested.  And I would love large scale pvp by the way, I liked the warbands in Warhammer (it became tedious and pointless though) so this is not a vote against pvp, I just would rather that not be the focus for myself.  Also judging by what is getting votes, I think most here feel the same.  The top games currently are Vanguard, EQII and FF.  Someone suggested Guild Wars, and although I agree that is a good game, I think it is practically the opposite of what I think this group represents.  To me, that was a single player action game, very easy, but with a good story behind it.

Any comments on this by anyone?  Or am I way off the mark?

Ohatro

• DEATHRAMENTDEATHRAMENT Member UncommonPosts: 701

I'm interested in this too sounds like fun.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,990

Lotro is more limited pvp rather than almost none. Vanguard has no pvp unless you are going on the pvp server which has a tiny population.

EQ2 and CoH/V get my vote as well.

Also you need to think about where people are based, euro or US servers? I have played on US servers without issues but others may have had problems.

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063

Add nate1980 to the list

I have some points to make:

1. The purpose of this thread is to gather all the players here looking for a change into a pool. So the current population level of a game or where the current community is in the game (population heavy) shouldn't matter, as isn't the point of this to create a guild with what we have here? So far, I see around 30 people, which is more than enough for anything a game can throw at you. Most, except for PUG heavy players, only group and associate with their guild anyways. So population  and population balance shouldn't be a factor here.

2. I'd recommend joining a game that doesn't punish group exploration. I'm not delusional, I know that out of the 30 people here, not all will want to group all the time, but one of the things you mentioned was grouping together. So even if we assume 1/4 of the people want to group, you'll need to have a game that allows grouping without penalization. Games that are heavily quest-based are solo oriented, and groups will have a hard time getting together enough to justify forming this guild.

My Top 5 List (in no particular order)

Asherons Call

EQ

Vanguard

DAoC

Saga of Ryzom

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,063

• DevourDevour Member Posts: 902

Guild name ideas:

MMORPGamers

It Came From The Blue ( referring to the default forum background )

It Came From A Forum

Forum Trolls

• JimmydeanJimmydean Member UncommonPosts: 1,290

I'm starting to lean more and more towards EQ1 as my main vote for this venture. With the release of mercenaries, forming groups is easy and the leveling in this game strongly promotes tight guild interaction and gives time for chit chat and just having fun all around.

The adventure in Everquest is endless, we could work on Epics together, we could work on Access quests together, do missions together, raids, etc...

We could play Everquest for another 10 years and never get bored, there is always something to do.

Newer games tend to want you to rush through all of the new content and farm it before the next expac comes out, EQ is different. Each expac doesn't make everything before it obsolete. There is still a purpose to raid progression and it can be a ton of fun.

This is just my suggestion, but I think Everquest with a tight community such as this would work wonders. The main problem with EQ is that the community is top heavy, so by bringing in our own community we would have players on our own level.

• tro44_1tro44_1 Member Posts: 1,819

Whats the big deal with Exploring? WoW added achievements to old zones for hunting down rare elites, Yet people still complained about exploring. Now I hear people talking about exploring CAT, but all CAT is is a revamed Azeroth map. Same Mechanical elements, just with a face lift. SO how does that fix the Adventuring problem in WoW? I read alot of WoW vets wanting to come back to explore, but wouldnt they get bored again?