Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Anyone else sick on sony?

BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,435

Anyone else sick on sony releasing a half assed console every year?

I got 2 psps (got them free) and been happy with them for now but sony keeps on releasing a new console every year with little improvment as if the older console users will throw them in the bin to buy the newer one..

Now there's some rumor on sony release another psp the psp 4000 and psp go has just released it's not even a year and they are already doing another console...

I always say can't they just wait 2-3 years or whatever and release a great console that can last for much more then a year before releasing a newer model? money doesn't grow on trees and what will you do with your older psp after purchasing a newer one? this keeps on happening every single year >_>

What are your thoughts on this people? I for one am seriously getting sick on them especially since the new one will have improved graphics and they will probably find some ways to force you on buying it then a year later they will release some other half assed console with little improvment and the cycle continues...

Comments

• CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,296

Sony's business model in consoles is to release a new one every 6 years.  So if you are an early adopter you should be good 6 years in the future.  The minor edits are more in-line with cost savings and getting into niche markets.  So it makes sense that they would be minor releases with almost no changes since its the same platform as older consoles.  Can you imagine what would happen if Sony released Moore's Law based consoles every year.  It would suck not only for the customer but also for the developer having to match new specs.

• Angelof2070Angelof2070 Member Posts: 224

I'm not tired of Sony, only SoE.

I own a PSP, PS3, and both are fine although I don't play either much.

<3 Sony 1000x more than Microsoft.

SoE on the other hand... that's entirely different.

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,435

What I mean by sick is that they spend a whole year and release a "newer" console with very little stuff added and people buy buy buy but what will happen to your older consoles you bought last year?

I got 2 and only use 1 and if it's true that the next one will enchance graphics (heard it can play ps2 games /hope) I would consider on buying it but having my 2 older psps left there "dying".

I'm not against them trying to get more money heck but don't tell me for example psp 3000 had anything worth on buying when psp 2000 and 3000 are the same apart of the screen that sometimes can look worse, now psp go that removed the umd to have what? ah yeah a small harddrive....

Also they keep on making them lighter that I no longer feel it on my hand that lowers it's durability (have psp 1000 and 3000) if my phat psp falls on the ground it won't get damaged maybe some scratch here and there but if this happens on my psp 3000 (obviously hope not) I'd rather not think what would happen it's soo light it's almost the same weight of a mobile if not less...

A psp without a umd = not want.

• ChealarChealar Member Posts: 268

Welcome to the world of marketing and consumerism...

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

It has always plagued handheld gaming.

Nintendo does it as well. From an objective point of view, there is nothing wrong with it. Releasing a new version doesn't make the older version worse. It feels pretty pointless to buy the first version when you know a better one will be released later.

What annoys me slightly is that this transfered to home consoles as well.

Usually you just had one type of console and that's it. Sometimes a smaller version would be released later.

Now things have changed. How many versions of the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 have there been now?

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,435
    Originally posted by Gameloading

It has always plagued handheld gaming.
    Nintendo does it as well. From an objective point of view, there is nothing wrong with it. Releasing a new version doesn't make the older version worse. It feels pretty pointless to buy the first version when you know a better one will be released later.
    What annoys me slightly is that this transfered to home consoles as well.

Usually you just had one type of console and that's it. Sometimes a smaller version would be released later.
    Now things have changed. How many versions of the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 have there been now?

1st psp that came out (have it) had 32 graphics and ram

2nd psp was lighter (a lot), and had 64 graphics and ram

3rd psp (have it) was even lighter, a "new" screen that something can make viewing ugly and nothing else

4th psp different design, more lighter, removed umd disk to have a small hard disk and blu tooth

Now there are news on another psp with enchanced graphics (some speculate on being able to play ps2 games) but still news.

I don't them making newer consoles heck I want them to improve it but not little bits in a "shiny" package hyping it as something out of the world. If they did like nintendo on their ds at least it was not bad as far as I know they didn't have to upgrade their consoles the guys on the first console to play newer games. On psp you had to if you wanted to play newer games without hearing your psp loading/hanging all the time and supporting bigger memory stick.

As for your comment on the ps3 and xbox 360 I don't own any of them but as far as I know they only made it lighter and with a bigger hard disk (with the loss of some stuff heh)

• ChealarChealar Member Posts: 268

Each new release is each time a new chance at marketing the product, one more good reason to have ads everywhere, to get the press and public hyped up, and to sale games.

Since gaming companies are not charity, yes, they act like that.

Plus, for handheld, the whole "getting lighter/smaller" makes sense.