Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

warcraft lore ..is it important ?

i played wow for 4 years on and off but to be honest i never payed much attention to the lore because the game was so tounge in cheek . i concentrated on the fun factor of the game . i mean i dont think much of the way the games gone but i ve seen some people dam it because its lore is bad which does nt make sence to me . lets face it its a mish mash of pretty much every fantasy franchise . Arthas is nt a lot more than a poor mans Sauron and living in his poor mans version of Mordor .that does nt make it a bad game (having said that it was a bad area of the game and very boring ) .

Comments

• OzovichOzovich Member Posts: 7
    Originally posted by googajoob7

Arthas is nt a lot more than a poor mans Sauron and living in his poor mans version of Mordo

You clearly have no fucking clue about Warcraft or LOTR lore.

Typical MMO player these days, eh.

• InEccessInEccess Member UncommonPosts: 111

I would have to say no. I've never played any of the Warcraft games before World of Warcraft. I hate RTS like warcraft, starcraft, and Command and Conquer.

• ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690

Not when Blizzard is working on a new mmo it isn't!

• pencilrickpencilrick Member Posts: 1,550

i played wow for 4 years on and off but to be honest i never payed much attention to the lore because the game was so tounge in cheek . i concentrated on the fun factor of the game . i mean i dont think much of the way the games gone but i ve seen some people dam it because its lore is bad which does nt make sence to me . lets face it its a mish mash of pretty much every fantasy franchise . Arthas is nt a lot more than a poor mans Sauron and living in his poor mans version of Mordor .that does nt make it a bad game (having said that it was a bad area of the game and very boring ) .

I hear you.  I think lore might mean more if some small smattering of it led to the discovery of hidden zones.  Maybe you sort through some lore and come across a single line about a forgotten island off some coast, and say this island is out of the way, but has a dungeon on it that hardly anyone ever travels to.

That is good lore.

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011

I enjoy the overriding lore, like reading quests and such, but I have never been much interested in the lore in the books, or the RTS (Warcraft) or wowwiki or anything like that. I enjoy the lore I experience in the game normally, but beyond that, it doesn't interest me that much.

I've been enjoying the Batman: Arkham Asylum game, but I've never read any of the comics. Though I think if I was a big fan, it would add an extra dimension to the game. Whether it was positive or negative, I couldn't say.

I can kind of understand when people complain about changing the lore, like if something was done in the past and then all of a sudden it's changed, but I think Blizzard is more than entitled to shape the future of the lore in any way they see fit.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• SioBabbleSioBabble Member Posts: 2,803

Arthas is nt a lot more than a poor mans Sauron and living in his poor mans version of Mordor .

On the contrary, Arthas hired Sauron's art direction team and they did a bang up job with Icecrown.

But Arthas is NOT Sauron.  He's more like Saruman, and even that's not a very precise take, because he thinks he's the badass of the universe.  The whole point of taking over Azeroth for him is it's the first step in taking on the Burning Crusade that spawned him.

CH, Jedi, Commando, Smuggler, BH, Scout, Doctor, Chef, BE...yeah, lots of SWG time invested.

Once a denizen of Ahazi

• DerrialDerrial Member Posts: 250

It's really not. I think it's less important in WoW than in many other MMORPGs that take their worlds more seriously. WoW, like its RTS predecessors, pokes fun at the fantasy genre a lot so it'd be silly then to think WoW's fantasy story is all that important.

• TanonTanon Member UncommonPosts: 176
    Originally posted by pencilrick

I hear you.  I think lore might mean more if some small smattering of it led to the discovery of hidden zones.  Maybe you sort through some lore and come across a single line about a forgotten island off some coast, and say this island is out of the way, but has a dungeon on it that hardly anyone ever travels to.

That is good lore.

Yes, make an entirely new dungeon that no one is going to know about except for the hard-core nerds.

Then, when word gets out, everyone knows about it and the lore isn't important anymore regardless.

• lisubablisubab Member Posts: 670

Some people care nothing about lore.  FPS gamers typically do not.

Some people are very interested in the lore.  LOTRo and Warhammer lore grab some people so intensively, they only play certain races.

Warcraft starts with little lore and generally builds up quite a long story over the years.  Unlike LOTR, the story was builit up to support some RTS and then WoW, the story is built up from pieces and less readily available for newcomers who want to know.  LOTR is a thick book.  That provides one big single source of definitive reference.

• Frostbite05Frostbite05 Member Posts: 1,880

warcraft relies heavily on you actually playing the rts game before hand. If you have and are familiar with the story buildup then you will really understand WoW and where its heading and where it came from.

Originally posted by lisubab

Some people are very interested in the lore.  LOTRo and Warhammer lore grab some people so intensively, they only play certain races.
    Warcraft starts with little lore and generally builds up quite a long story over the years.  Unlike LOTR, the story was builit up to support some RTS and then WoW, the story is built up from pieces and less readily available for newcomers who want to know.  LOTR is a thick book.  That provides one big single source of definitive reference.

The thing about LOTR is that the guy who wrote it in the first place is dead. When you think about an ongoing story like Warcraft, you sometimes get the feeling that the guys writing the story are running out of ideas.

• EmhsterEmhster Member UncommonPosts: 913

The last expansion pack was much closer to the lore with a cut scene and using a phasing system to have your world "evolve" around your quest progression. Uncheck the option to display quests instantly to give you a chance to read about it. If you don't read quests, don't hang out with RPG'ers or haven't played WCIII as a single player, it's kinda hard to really care about the lore. After all, you're paying for that content :-)

Players that are only interested for competitive PVP or are hardcore raider have everything they need to enjoy the game without paying attention to the lore.

• lisubablisubab Member Posts: 670
    Originally posted by Tanon

The thing about LOTR is that the guy who wrote it in the first place is dead. When you think about an ongoing story like Warcraft, you sometimes get the feeling that the guys writing the story are running out of ideas.

Yes the original author is dead.  He left behind a big book with enough lore for ongoing gaming development for a long time.  If there is enough business, there is the chance of a sequel to the original book.

WoW unfortunately does not start with that much lore.  They created a lot during the past decade, and with their wealth they sure will produce even more.  I believe arthas is not the end of the lore.

Originally posted by Tanon

Yes the original author is dead.  He left behind a big book with enough lore for ongoing gaming development for a long time.  If there is enough business, there is the chance of a sequel to the original book.

WoW unfortunately does not start with that much lore.  They created a lot during the past decade, and with their wealth they sure will produce even more.  I believe arthas is not the end of the lore.

That's my point-when Tolkien had a writer's block, he would probably do something else and look for inspiration. Today, the writers of Warcraft lore have deadlines and schedules to follow, so if they're really out of ideas, they'll just crap out whatever they can think of.