Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Target audience for Alganon

Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440

Since these forums are filled with negative posts i thought i would make a helpful thread for people interested in the game.

I've been playing the game since july and have played quite a bit, in my opinion this is target audience for the game:

--People that love wow but can't stand the community.

--People that love wow but need a new game very similar to it.

--People that don't want to think too much about video games and play them to have fun, easy relaxing gameplay.

--Community oriented players, the community in general is fairly helpful and if you like to group or talk a lot this might be a good choice.

--Casual players, in general if you only play an hour a day.

--People that like to be part of the world, many world changing events and EQ like achievements such as the first person to explore an area's name being displayed for everyone to see.

--People that love dev interaction.

Now for people that would absolutely hate this game:

--People that love flawless gameplay, so no crashes, bugs, lag, slow combat.

--People that hate wow

--People that want something new and innovative

--People that want new content fast, its an indie company so updating would be fairly slow

--People that like a large player base

--People that are used to AAA MMOs, you won't find next gen graphics or combat here.

I think that's a fairly non-biased list, but if you feel like adding something to any of them please say so.

Comments

• vladakovvladakov Member Posts: 710

you forgot  that it's  hated by   WoW lovers =)

• PhelimReaghPhelimReagh Member UncommonPosts: 682

I don't think the folks at QOL put much thought into an audience. I really don't.

I'm quite sure that they just felt that maybe they could peel off 1% of WoW's user base within a year, and tried to make the barrier for entry for former WoW players as low as possible.

In theory, that's not unreasonable to think that 1% of the people playing it would be willing to move over to a different game if it had many of the same features that made WoW as popular as it is; offered some new and unique features; and executed the game well.

In practice, however, well, most of you have seen Alganon in action and can see that even an easy idea is hard to execute properly.

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440
    Originally posted by parrotpholk

Originally posted by Gabby-air

--People that want new content fast, its an indie company so updating would be fairly slow

Not completely true due to Icarus cranks out updates and fixes pretty regular so QoL may be able to do the same.  The rest I agree with.

Well as you know icarus guys are out of the ordinary, they love what they do and are passionate about there game. Not to say there indie but they still have quite enough money and a pretty good playerbase to keep supplying money for further development whereas alganon would have im guessing less than 500 players at launch.

As to the OP on this I am not sure what audience they went for with the jumbled mess of features. Lore book from LOTR and WAR, UI from WOW, study system from EVE, graphics from well WOW and on and on. They took stuff and made a system that is beyond jumbled and useless. The community is the only thing worth saying is good and it is so small it couldnt fill Goldshire.

Well they took the study system from eve, but ask yourself this...a person that plays eve, would he really be playing this game? My post was just to give people a general idea on what kind of game it is and should be taken as a grain of salt. At this moment i have to agree that its really alot of things just mixed together but i believe my points still stand correct.

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

Since these forums are filled with negative posts i thought i would make a helpful thread for people interested in the game.
    I've been playing the game since july and have played quite a bit, in my opinion this is target audience for the game:
    --People that love wow but can't stand the community. Ok, fair enough
    --People that love wow but need a new game very similar to it. ...if one "loved" a game why would they "need" a new one? WoW players don't play other MMOs. I think that is pretty apparent as demonstrated over the last 5 years.
    --People that don't want to think too much about video games and play them to have fun, easy relaxing gameplay. Yeah and that is what is killing the MMO genre. The #1 complaint about new MMO's is their total lack of complexity. Easy doesn't equal fun, complexity doesn't make it not fun. In a nutshell - Challenge and reward is why people play games.
    --Community oriented players, the community in general is fairly helpful and if you like to group or talk a lot this might be a good choice. Yay, BUT communities change over time. A game community is not a game feature.
    --Casual players, in general if you only play an hour a day.Casual gaming is always a plus.
    --People that like to be part of the world, many world changing events and EQ like achievements such as the first person to explore an area's name being displayed for everyone to see. Thats a very finite thing in an MMO where you literally have tens of thousands of people wandering around. They have "server first" logs in Vanguard. It takes all of a few weeks to fill them up then you sit and wait for new content. So one guy gets rewarded for stumbling into a zone...forever or being the first one to craft a pair of "ripped leather shoes"...then what?
    --People that love dev interaction. Again this is not a feature and is something that can (and will) change over time.

Now for people that would absolutely hate this game:
    --People that love flawless gameplay, so no crashes, bugs, lag, slow combat. And rightly so...I assume Alganon will want money from us to play their game so why would it be unfair to expect a working preduct / service?
    --People that hate wow - and that is what happens with most new MMO's people log in and say "f^ck, this is just like WoW. The game dies a pretty quick death after that.
    --People that want something new and innovative - again, why switch to it then?
    --People that want new content fast, its an indie company so updating would be fairly slow - well that won't fit well with the server first thing.
    --People that like a large player base - Thats kinda important in an MMO, wouldn't ya think?
    --People that are used to AAA MMOs, you won't find next gen graphics or combat here.

I think that's a fairly non-biased list, but if you feel like adding something to any of them please say so.
     IMHO, this game is so gonna be such a non-event it's not even funny. I honestly don't know how/why D. Allen even bothered.
    If he had the money, he should have remade his original vision of Horizons. This game is a total cop out on every level.
  • joker007mojoker007mo Member Posts: 712

Not completely true due to Icarus cranks out updates and fixes pretty regular so QoL may be able to do the same.  The rest I agree with.

Well as you know icarus guys are out of the ordinary, they love what they do and are passionate about there game. Not to say there indie but they still have quite enough money and a pretty good playerbase to keep supplying money for further development whereas alganon would have im guessing less than 500 players at launch.

maybe if they made a quality game from the start instead of the useless garbage alganon is now they would have more then that

i understand that the game shoould have time to get bugs fixed but the overall attitude that you preorder in full pissed me off and when i did try the beta it was horrid combat was very crummy instead of fluid movements my toon moved like a rock  and the enemy i was attacking was way way off from me and when it walked over a hill my combat stopped and i had to start over killing the creature when even the creatures in the game dont care if they are being attacked makes ya wonder honestly

That was another great thing about icarus, if you saw the progression made from alpha to beta...you would simply be blown away. Icarus had everything under control and released a quality product, they've been releasing patches agreesively after launch and i hope it keeps going. As of right now alganon is like pre alpha, and with the amount of players they have it really does feel like it. The game seriously needs alot more time to be worked on, it simply just isnt ready but devs are pushing it...don't feel like saying it but its probably gonna be shut down soon.

• caalemcaalem Member UncommonPosts: 289

The only people that this game is marketed to is stupid people.

• lancelot76lancelot76 Member Posts: 119
    Originally posted by caalem

The only people that this game is marketed to is stupid people.

Stupid? No. Anyone who takes any time to read the Alganon forums can see that the community and the developers are not stupid. Having said that, there is a core of true believers who have decided they are going to support this game and damn the torpedoes. I say, let them have their game. Alganon may be able to sustain itself even in its current alpha state, and if the community (some of whom post that they have purchased a year of subscription to Alganon) wants to go down with the Titanic, I say let them go down with the ship.

If it somehow manages to last a year, then more power to them. There were many, many predictions that Vanguard, for example would sink and yet somehow it's still alive and kicking. (Note: I didn't say successful. I just said: alive and kicking.) Maybe Alganon can do the same thing. Regardless, there's no point in launching nukes at those who want to be part of Alganon. Their game will stand or fall on its own merits. If it crashes and burns, what good does it do the MMO genre for everyone to sit on their thrones laughing about how the WoW clone failed?

I was one of those who really had high hopes for Alganon. I have no issues with the content, graphics or story. I could care less if it is a WoW clone. But I cannot overlook the truly awful state of this game, from a technical and implementation standpoint. That's my opinion, your mileage may vary.

Fare thee well Alganon. It will be a truly astonishing feat if this game somehow manages to make it to a release state (from its current pre-alpha or alpha state) in the next 30 days after launch tomorrow. Good Luck!

• AthcearAthcear Member Posts: 420

Alganon is marketed to people who have only played World of Warcraft.  Also, it targets people who doesn't understand when a game is half finished and buggy as hell.  Alganon is a perfect example of what happens when the audience lowers its expectations.

Important facts:
    1. Free to Play games are poorly made.
    2. Casuals are not all idiots, but idiots call themselves casuals.
    3. Great solo and group content are not mutually exclusive, but they suffer when one is shoved into the mold of the other. The same is true of PvP and PvE.
    4. Community is more important than you think.

• tro44_1tro44_1 Member Posts: 1,819

IMO many people here are just upset because Alagon very similar to WoW's interface. But come on. Shold we really dislike a game over Interface copying. Gameplay should be whats improtant. Doesnt Alganon have a more Sandboxey feel to it when it comes to Classes, compared to WoW?

Wouldnt that be innovating?

• HolgranthHolgranth Member Posts: 380
    Originally posted by tro44_1

IMO many people here are just upset because Alagon very similar to WoW's interface. But come on. Shold we really dislike a game over Interface copying. Gameplay should be whats improtant. Doesnt Alganon have a more Sandboxey feel to it when it comes to Classes, compared to WoW?
    Wouldnt that be innovating?

The interface is really just the TIP of the ice berg. It happens to be the most obvious and therfore best example. From MY exprience the soldier was a cheap knock off of WoW's Warrior with an attempt to recreate the rage mechanic, LOT of the same abilitys and even talents. 

There are soldier trainers that I go train from just like WoW, (although that will be removed in Cataclysm) my class can use the exact same weapons skills as WoW, weapon skills work EXACTLY the same as WoW, the questing system is the same with no real attempt at improvment, the combat feels extremely simlar but much more clunky, my character has the same eqipment slots right down to trinkets.

I could go on for quite a while if I wanted to, there are HUGE numbers of things some larger some smaller but in the end besides the offline advancment borrowed from EVE and the library from lorto ALMOST EVERYTHING has a DIRECT link to WoW with nary an ATTEMPT to try to improve or polish it.

Dem hibbies! Dey be wrong!

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037

Doesnt Alganon have a more Sandboxey feel to it when it comes to Classes, compared to WoW?

I wouldn't have said so, no. What do you think is "sandboxey" about Alganon's classes? It's WoW with four classes instead of ten, with all pure dps classes being among the six removed, so all four classes are hybrids. 

• tro44_1tro44_1 Member Posts: 1,819
    Originally posted by Banquetto

Doesnt Alganon have a more Sandboxey feel to it when it comes to Classes, compared to WoW?

I wouldn't have said so, no. What do you think is "sandboxey" about Alganon's classes? It's WoW with four classes instead of ten, with all pure dps classes being among the six removed, so all four classes are hybrids. 

The freedom to make a Tank mage, Buff bot Warrior, etc. Even WoW is using a similar system in CAT which Blizzard is replacing the old Talent system with

• BanquettoBanquetto Member UncommonPosts: 1,037
    The freedom to make a Tank mage, Buff bot Warrior, etc. Even WoW is using a similar system in CAT which Blizzard is replacing the old Talent system with

Like I said, what's different about it?

You have classes, you choose which talent tree to specialize in, and since they are hybrid classes, that choice will be a choice between more than one of the "holy trinity" roles.

The fact that an Alganon "mage" can go frost and tank or go fire and do ranged dps is identical, in a game design sense, to the fact that a WoW druid can go bear and tank or go balance and do ranged dps. 

Blizzard isn't "replacing" the old talent system with anything in Cataclysm, btw. They're just cleaning up the talents and replacing "boring" talents like "+5% crit" with more interesting ones.